DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Gift -- D: Edgerton S: Edgerton, Bateman -- 8/7/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627908-gift-d-edgerton-s-edgerton-bateman-8-7-15-a.html)

Osiris3657 07-27-15 10:19 AM

The Gift -- D: Edgerton S: Edgerton, Bateman -- 8/7/15

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I3IiZU9JBuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plot: A young married couple's lives are thrown into a harrowing tailspin when an acquaintance from the husband's past brings mysterious gifts and a horrifying secret to light after more than 20 years.

The trailer didn't do much for me, but it's getting good buzz. 100% on RT so far (7 reviews).

Groucho 07-27-15 10:43 AM

Re: The Gift -- D: Edgerton S: Edgerton, Bateman -- 8/7/15

Not a remake of the Katie Holmes movie. :(

Perkinsun Dzees 08-04-15 04:22 AM

Surprised that this has a 92% Rotten Tomatoes rating. The trailer made this look like a run-of-the-mill "psycho tormenting yuppie couple flick."

I've liked Edgerton in some of his films (The Great Gatsby, The Thing), but didn't think he could hit one out of the park as a first time writer/director.

However, the reviews suggest that this is a pretty clever thriller so I might just have to check this baby out.

d2cheer 08-04-15 10:55 AM

I know someone who has seen it and I pretty much trust their taste in movies...they have said it is fantastic. And no the trailer does not ruin it. Supposedly...

EddieMoney 08-04-15 11:14 AM

I really want to see this.

dex14 08-04-15 12:08 PM

I'll probably check it out. The trailer didn't seem too interesting. But I'm curious due to the people involved and Edgerton directing.

Solid Snake 08-04-15 12:39 PM

Same here. The trailers don't seem to go beyond feeling generic but there may be a twist w/ Bateman being the worse of the two characters, Gordo and him. I dunno... I get a feeling of that w/ how it shows a certain video within the trailer.

OldBoy 08-06-15 06:50 PM

i might see this tomorrow. getting stellar reviews...

Mike86 08-06-15 07:04 PM

Looks decent and a different role for Bateman. Might check it out.

dex14 08-06-15 09:22 PM

Saw this tonight. Everyone in it is really good. Fucked up ending. I'd definitely say go see this of Fan4stic.

I was surprised at how many people were there for an 8pm showing. Maybe this will make a little bank over the weekend.

danstheday 08-06-15 10:27 PM

This was a really good film, more of a slow burn the first half of the film. Excellent ending..... I was also surprised that the 8pm Thursday showing tonight was very crowded.

Perkinsun Dzees 08-06-15 10:44 PM

Maybe if this does well enough at the boxoffice, Edgerton will be signed to write/direct the next FF4 reboot.

OldBoy 08-07-15 01:23 PM

wow, was this good. i was so uncomfortable the whole time watching it. it puts you at unease for all of it and i think that is the point or emotion Edgerton was going for. so tense and gripping. very simple movie, great uneasy dialogue and directed with such restrain that i completely feel into its' grips. very unnerving. well done.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/4.gif

ps)
Spoiler:
i could've sworn one of the "friends" at all the little gatherings at the house was Edgerton (didn't really say anything and was, what i thought, conspiculously being hidden) and he was playing a dual role ala The Prestige and that something was gonna happen with that, but i guess not. this movie made me paranoid, but in a good way.

EctoCooler 08-07-15 01:27 PM

So, someone spoil this ending for me. My gf wants to see it and I want to tell her what happens while we're sitting there watching it.

OldBoy 08-07-15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by EctoCooler (Post 12556363)
So, someone spoil this ending for me. My gf wants to see it and I want to tell her what happens while we're sitting there watching it.

i will not be party to such shennanigans...

mdc3000 08-07-15 04:17 PM

I think that might have been Nash Edgerton (his brother) in that one scene, because he looked a hell of a lot like Joel. LOVED THIS. Tense throughout but believable, restrained and minimalist but never boring. Great acting from the 3 leads and really thought Edgerton did a great job behind the camera, very pleasantly surprised. It does turn pretty nasty and uncomfortable by the end.

OldBoy 08-07-15 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 12556517)
I think that might have been Nash Edgerton (his brother) in that one scene, because he looked a hell of a lot like Joel. LOVED THIS. Tense throughout but believable, restrained and minimalist but never boring. Great acting from the 3 leads and really thought Edgerton did a great job behind the camera, very pleasantly surprised. It does turn pretty nasty and uncomfortable by the end.

i think he was in a couple of scenes. just seemed odd and bothered me a little bc of aforementioned other movie. i can understand Edgerton wanting to use his brother, but he was almost a dead ringer with more facial hair. eh, no biggie. great film!!

writer106 08-07-15 05:09 PM

I went and saw the movie this morning, there was only ten people in theater, besides my friend and I. Tonight's showings will probably be more packed. I enjoyed it, but the ending and parts of the movie's plot reminded me a bit of
Spoiler:
Oldboy and the revenge parts in that movie and the remake

OldBoy 08-07-15 07:58 PM

I think you need to revisit
Spoiler:
OldBoy

TomOpus 08-07-15 08:40 PM

Wow, you spoiled something that was put in spoiler tags. I really REALLY appreciated that .

OldBoy 08-07-15 09:21 PM

it really has nothing to do with the movie...

TomOpus 08-08-15 03:52 AM

Maybe in your opinion. You coulda made your point without naming the movie. I was going to see The Gift this weekend too.

jdslater1 08-08-15 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 12552919)
Surprised that this has a 92% Rotten Tomatoes rating. The trailer made this look like a run-of-the-mill "psycho tormenting yuppie couple flick."

Yeah but if it does that thing well doesnt it deserve that rating?!

Solid Snake 08-08-15 08:22 AM

Not if it was run of the mill. That would be average. Apparently this is actually a damn good film.

Abob Teff 08-08-15 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12556366)
i will not be party to such shennanigans...

http://philly.barstoolsports.com/fil...henanigans.jpg