DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Baywatch (2017, D: Gordon) S: The Rock, Efron, Daddario (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627865-baywatch-2017-d-gordon-s-rock-efron-daddario.html)

mikewendt 04-05-06 10:01 AM

Baywatch (2017, D: Gordon) S: The Rock, Efron, Daddario

By Colin Mahan
April 4, 2006 at 03:42:00 PM

Multitalented triller takes on toughest Tinseltown task: acting like Pam Anderson.

Simpson is ready for the beach. British newspaper The Sun reports that Jessica Simpson has signed on to star in the Baywatch feature film. Simpson will play Casey "C.J." Parker, the voluptuous lifeguard played by Pamela Anderson in the series.

Newlyweds star Simpson made a splash last summer when she donned Catherine Bach's cut-offs for the Dukes of Hazzard movie. Currently, she is filming Employee of the Month with frat-boy comedian Dane Cook. Now, the platinum-tressed chanteuse moves up several rungs on the TV-to-film hottie ladder.

Producers told The Sun, "Jessica has all the assets to make Pam's part her own."

Baywatch told the story of the brave and noble lifeguards of Venice Beach, California. When they weren't saving people from drowning, they themselves were trying not to drown in oceans of personal dilemmas.

While never a critical darling, Baywatch ran in syndication for 12 seasons and launched the successful spin-off Baywatch Nights. The show was also a huge hit overseas, and let star David Hasselhoff enjoy a smash-hit singing career that peaked with the number one hit on German charts "Looking For Freedom," which he sang atop the Berlin Wall during reunification.

According to the reports, Hasselhoff hasn't signed up for the movie yet but producers are hoping he will. The actor, who is enduring a messy divorce battle with his wife Pamela, may be sending a subtle "I do" message to the filmmakers--he showed up at the beach this week wearing red swim trunks similar to those worn on Baywatch.

Y2K Falcon 04-05-06 10:07 AM

They coulda gotten Kelly Pickler a lot cheaper in a couple weeks. -ohbfrank-

Patman 04-05-06 10:46 AM

"What's a thongy?"

raven56706 04-05-06 10:52 AM

:drool: i cant wait.......

riley_dude 04-05-06 11:14 AM

Now I know I dont want to see it. This will be for the 18 and under crowd. You can bet it will be PG to get the big opening weekend grosses.

FantasticVSDoom 04-05-06 11:45 AM

Why in the hell couldnt they just get Pam Anderson to play this part again??

Dr. DVD 04-05-06 12:11 PM

Is this another one of those online April Fool's jokes getting posted several days late?

Why must she play CJ? Why not just have the movie be a pick-up where the show left off, that would make more sense. It hasn't been off the air long enough to justify a big-screen movie. And you're right, this will be a PG/PG-13 movie with a soundtrack packed with a bunch of "hot" pop/alternative bands and topped off with a Simpson song or two.

j123vt_99 04-05-06 01:29 PM

(crosses fingers for a rated X version)

T1000 04-05-06 01:29 PM

Pamela could easily still play the part.

TheNightFlier 04-05-06 01:44 PM

No Hasselhoff, no sale.

I'd rather have seen Pam Anderson than Simpson.

Frenzy 04-05-06 01:55 PM

Bring in Pam (and the Hoff)!

http://www.gagreport.com/Future%20Fl...-recursion.gif

DRG 04-05-06 02:22 PM

What's even the point of this remake? At least with Dukes of Hazzard, Charlie's Angels, and Starsky & Hutch there was a retro factor. Baywatch has only been off the air for 5 years. If they were going the "movie continuation of the show" direction like Star Trek or Serenity, that would be one thing.

I'm guessing they're going with the tongue-in-cheek pseudo-parody angle like Angels and Starsky did but isn't the show (especially in later seasons) pretty much a self-parody in first place? I'm all for t&a but if I'm paying movie prices to see t&a I'm gonna want more than red swimsuits (or rather, less than red swimsuits ;)).

fujishig 04-05-06 02:45 PM

I agree, why remake something that isn't that old to begin with? At what point do they take it too far? What, we skipped all the 80's sitcoms/shows and went straight to the 90's? Where's my Family Ties remake movie?

Draven 04-05-06 02:59 PM

If you can't get Pam, go with Jessica.

I'm okay with this news - and wasn't the actual SHOW a basically PG-type show with pop music? How is this any different?

Neeb 04-06-06 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Now I know I dont want to see it. This will be for the 18 and under crowd. You can bet it will be PG to get the big opening weekend grosses.

Well, I agree with your assessment that the producers are going for a certain demographic, but do you really think there are enough people with IQs below 18 to see this movie?

Cameron 04-06-06 02:29 AM

i thought hasslehoff was the creator and owner of the rights on Baywatch...

when was the TV movie made?

joeydaninja 04-06-06 02:58 AM

Ahhhhhhh, Jessica Simpson will be the queen of the TV series movie, the Heather Locklear of the Big Screen.

TheGodfather 04-06-06 05:48 PM

Hollywood is officially, undeniably out of ideas.

riley_dude 04-07-06 02:29 PM

How long till we get Silk Stalkings the movie?

raven56706 04-07-06 03:06 PM

or how about a Blues Brothers 3000...:wtf:

dex14 10-02-14 05:54 PM

Re: Baywatch: The Movie

Paramount is moving forward with its big-screen adaptation of Baywatch and has loosely attached Dwayne Johnson for beach patrol duties. The studio also has hired Justin Malen to rewrite and has attached the hot comedy writing team of Sean Anders and John Morris (We're the Millers) to direct.

Montecito Pictures is producing along with Beau Flynn. Tripp Vinson is executive producing. Hiram Garcia, who is Johnson's producing partner, will serve in some producing capacity.

Johnson has long been rumored to head up a Baywatch movie, and the oft-shirtless star would seem a perfect fit for the action film that takes place along the perilous shores of Santa Monica. In fact, the Fast & Furious star is no stranger to showing off his abs as he did in the titular role in Hercules, which opened in July.

Paramount has been trying to mount a Baywatch movie for years and has begun to ramp up its efforts. A number of previous writers have taken a crack at the script including Jeremy Garelick and Peter Tolan. At one point the action was set to revolve around a series of shark attacks that led the Baywatch team to investigate a drug-smuggling operation. It is unclear what Malen's take will be for the latest version.

Malen has become an in-demand writer after his 2011 Blacklist script Bastards became a hot comedy property. Montecito will produce that film, and Alcon will finance. Malen also wrote the sequel to Bad Teacher for Sony, with Cameron Diaz attached to star.

Johnson, who recently shot the action film San Andreas for producer Flynn as well as Fast & Furious 7, is repped by WME and attorneys Bianca Levin and Harold Brown.

Malen is handled by Verve and DMG Entertainment.

Anders and Morris, whose writing credits include Horrible Bosses 2, are represented by Mosaic and attorney Todd Rubenstein.

Paramount declined comment.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...source=twitter

RocShemp 10-02-14 06:00 PM

So this'll be a comedy like 21 Jump Street, right?

DJariya 10-02-14 08:14 PM

Baywatch -- S: Dwayne Johnson - D: Anders/Morris

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...h-movie-707530

Paramount is moving forward with its big-screen adaptation of Baywatch and has loosely attached Dwayne Johnson for beach patrol duties. The studio also has hired Justin Malen to rewrite and has attached the hot comedy writing team of Sean Anders and John Morris (We're the Millers) to direct.

Montecito Pictures is producing along with Beau Flynn. Tripp Vinson is executive producing. Hiram Garcia, who is Johnson's producing partner, will serve in some producing capacity.

Johnson has long been rumored to head up a Baywatch movie, and the oft-shirtless star would seem a perfect fit for the action film that takes place along the perilous shores of Santa Monica. In fact, the Fast & Furious star is no stranger to showing off his abs as he did in the titular role in Hercules, which opened in July.

Paramount has been trying to mount a Baywatch movie for years and has begun to ramp up its efforts. A number of previous writers have taken a crack at the script including Jeremy Garelick and Peter Tolan. At one point the action was set to revolve around a series of shark attacks that led the Baywatch team to investigate a drug-smuggling operation. It is unclear what Malen's take will be for the latest version.

Malen has become an in-demand writer after his 2011 Blacklist script Bastards became a hot comedy property. Montecito will produce that film, and Alcon will finance. Malen also wrote the sequel to Bad Teacher for Sony, with Cameron Diaz attached to star.

Read more Why Theater Owners Aren't Happy About Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' Film Initiative

Johnson, who recently shot the action film San Andreas for producer Flynn as well as Fast & Furious 7, is repped by WME, manager Dany Garcia of The Garcia Companies and attorneys Bianca Levin and Harold Brown.

Malen is handled by Verve and DMG Entertainment.

Anders and Morris, whose writing credits include Horrible Bosses 2, are represented by Mosaic and attorney Todd Rubenstein.

Paramount declined comment.

Sonic 10-02-14 08:20 PM

Re: Baywatch -- S: Dwayne Johnson - D: Anders/Morris

Already a thread exists: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...tch-movie.html

stvn1974 10-02-14 08:29 PM

That Tetris movie doesn't sound so stupid anymore.

DJariya 10-02-14 08:38 PM

Re: Baywatch -- S: Dwayne Johnson - D: Anders/Morris

Oops, my bad. Feel free to merge or close.

My Other Self 10-02-14 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12255721)
So this'll be a comedy like 21 Jump Street, right?

That would be awesome if it were Lord and Miller.

RocShemp 10-02-14 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 12255925)
That Tetris movie doesn't sound so stupid anymore.

http://tetrisow-a.akamaihd.net/data4...ry/img_023.jpg

HN 07-23-15 11:42 PM

Baywatch (D: Gordon; S: The Rock)

Seth Gordon to Direct Dwayne Johnson in Paramount’s ‘Baywatch’ Movie

Seth Gordon is in negotiations to direct Dwayne Johnson in Paramount’s bigscreen adaptation of the TV series “Baywatch.”

Johnson is attached to star and will produce through his Seven Bucks Productions banner along with Montecito Pictures producing along with Beau Flynn.

Michael Berk, Douglas Schwartz, Greg Bonnan will exec produce.

While plot details are currently vague, sources close to the project have said the studio wants to go the comedic route for the project.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/se...ie-1201544299/

fumanstan 07-23-15 11:45 PM

Re: Baywatch (D: Gordon; S: The Rock)

I wouldn't mind this going the sillier 21 Jump Street type of comedy. Seems like they just have to bring in Hasselhoff for this though.

islandclaws 07-24-15 12:15 AM

There's absolutely no way this won't feature The Hoff and Pam in some capacity.

Axeramm 07-24-15 12:33 AM

Maybe The Rock can costar with his daughter from San Andreas Alexandra Daddario.

Bluelitespecial 07-24-15 01:46 AM

It has to be made as a drama, but in a so bad its funny kind of way. The same way as the tv show, The Rock is too big to be a life guard. Would hope this stars some of the original cast, besides just Hoff and Pam.

Solid Snake 07-24-15 02:35 AM

I never saw the show but aside from Anderson and the Hoff... were the others worth a damn later in their careers?

mhg83 07-24-15 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 12544096)
It has to been as a drama, but in a so bad its funny kind of way. The same way as the tv show, The Rock is too big to be a life guard. Would hope this stars some of the originsl cast, besides just Hoff and Pam.

He's going to play as a Motherfucking Great White Shark ;)

Mike86 07-24-15 04:08 AM

I agree it could be entertaining if it goes with a more tongue in cheek approach.

DJariya 07-24-15 12:54 PM

They absolutely need to get Hasselhoff to do a cameo as Mitch from the original series. It just wouldn't make any sense not to. He's the face of Baywatch in so many international markets the show aired in.

Troy Stiffler 07-24-15 01:30 PM

Meta universe references to Baywatch Nights are a must.

Bluelitespecial 07-24-15 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12544104)
I never saw the show but aside from Anderson and the Hoff... were the others worth a damn later in their careers?

Not really, Alexandra Paul looks about same today, Nicole Eggert was hotter than Pam Anderson when she was on the show. But she doesn't look as good today.

inri222 07-24-15 01:53 PM

Still waiting for

Manimal : The Movie