Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
6.76%
22.97%
47.30%
17.57%
4.05%
0%
1.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Who?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

I saw this last night and absolutely loved it. This was a much more fun time than Avengers 2.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I thought Ant-Man and Yellowjacket fighting it out to The Cure's Plainsong was inspired brilliance, but what do I know? And the joke makes sense since its the first song on Disintegration. If the film had more moments like that, it could've trumped Guardians of the Galaxy as being the best MCU film
I LOVED that gag, too. The music geek in me would point out that the actual song starts with 20 seconds of wind chimes, not jump right into the synths. But obviously I understand why it didn't go that way in the movie. Hey, maybe Cross edited his own mp3 and took them out before putting the song on his iPhone. (Alternatively, Siri could've just played the title song from the album. I don't have an iPhone, so I don't know if it jumps to a song or plays the whole album if in that situation and you don't specify which you want.)

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I liked that Ant-Man kept it "small" (pun intended) - we didn't get another one of these cliched gigantic closing battle sequences where huge armies are clashing for the fate of the world/universe, which are really starting to wear a bit thin IMHO in superhero movies (see Avengers, Avengesr 2, GOTG, Winter Soldier, Man of Steel, etc etc). There was an appealing willingness to scale things back here which has been a bit lacking in recent MU movies, and it felt fresh to me.
I greatly appreciated that, too. As much of a fan of these superhero movies I am, those huge saving-the-world battles with mass casualties* are getting tiresome.

*Though I give Avengers 2 credit for acknowledging that and trying to get the populace out of harm's way.
Old 07-22-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Just got out from seeing this. I'd say that the film pretty much fulfilled my expectations. I thought it was another solid effort from Marvel, but I still left wanting something a little bit more. The first half of the film was a bit of a slog and I was surprised at how bland Rudd (who I like a lot) came off initially. Things pick up once Ant-Man started doing Ant-Man things and I thought that despite some weak plotting, the second half overall was a lot of fun. Anyone who writes this movie off because Ant-Man has "lame powers" doesn't know what they're talking about. Ant-Man's powers are the best thing about this movie and it was nice to see something from Marvel that didn't just devolve into beating up hordes of bad guys.

Despite enjoying the film overall, I'm still convinced that the Marvel machine held this thing back from what being what it might have been. That's not even really a Wright/Cornish vs. Reed/McKay/Rudd thing. There were enough inspired moments sprinkled throughout to tell me that the film could have been so much more regardless of who was directing/writing. I really was surprised at the tone of the film during the first half. The whole thing was played much straighter than I expected. It's like Marvel wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Ant-Man is more or less a comedy, but they never completely commit to the genre. Most likely this is so that Lang can be absorbed into the Avengers without seeming like a total joke. I get that, but I just wish they were a little more willing to let these films just be what they are.
I think you summed up my feelings too. When I saw someone compare it to GotG, my hopes went up. Alas, it was nowhere near GotG. I loved the feeling I had when I walked out of that movie and I wanted to see, and feel, it again. Ant-Man, I have no desire to see again except if there's nothing else to see at the theater. I saw it in IMAX 3D and that was impressive but the movie left me feeling "meh." But glad some are really getting a kick out of it.
Old 07-22-15, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
But, but, but.... Think about how much BETTER it would have been if wright had stayed! Obviously!
Obviously. Most certainly the overall shoddy pacing and dull direction in the non-action scenes would've been handled far better with Wright at the helm. The movie is simply lacking in the energy that he excels at.
Old 07-22-15, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked Ant-Man but do think Wright's vision, whatever exactly that was, would have been better based on how he's grown as a director. Add in that that there is so much Wright in the film as it is that I feel that he would pushed this thing to greater lengths that Reed can't do as a director.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-22-15 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-22-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The world will never know...
Old 07-22-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

And the world will never let it go.
Old 07-22-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I liked Ant-Man but do think Wright's vision, whatever exactly that was, would have been better based on how he's grown as a director. Add in that that there is so much Wright in the film as it is that I feel that he would pushed this thing to greater lengths that Reed can't do as a director.
I disagree to a point because some of the best stuff in the movie came from Reed and Rudd and that stuff wouldn't have been in the movie had Wright directed it.
Old 07-22-15, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I disagree to a point because some of the best stuff in the movie came from Reed and Rudd and that stuff wouldn't have been in the movie had Wright directed it.
This. Imagine there not being that badass moment of the Avengers compound reveal...

Now, if somehow it was possible for some of those same moments that Rudd and McKay brought to the table still came about later in the game, then we're talking.

But it sounds like Reed was a big part of those too.
Old 07-22-15, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
And the world will never let it go.
No fucking shit.

Wright apparently made the perfect Ant-Man movie without having to make it at all.
Old 07-23-15, 06:08 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I'm gonna get roasted for this but I had to look up who Edgar Wright is and what movies he's directed... and I realized that I haven't seen any of his films.

Okay, full disclosure, I tried watching Scott Pilgrim once, but turned it off after about a half an hour.

I know, I know, it's heresy to not know who this Wright guy is.

Still, I loved Ant-Man.
Old 07-23-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I'm gonna get roasted for this but I had to look up who Edgar Wright is and what movies he's directed... and I realized that I haven't seen any of his films.

Okay, full disclosure, I tried watching Scott Pilgrim once, but turned it off after about a half an hour.

I know, I know, it's heresy to not know who this Wright guy is.
If you like action movies, try Hot Fuzz, if you like horror, try Shawn of the Dead, if you like sitcoms try Spaced.
Old 07-24-15, 11:38 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
If you like action movies, try Hot Fuzz, if you like horror, try Shawn of the Dead, if you like sitcoms try Spaced.
Old 07-24-15, 12:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

a very small movie (introduction) in the Marvel universe, but worked on every level. the characters were just great and perfectly cast, especially Pena who got more than a few chuckles from me. Rudd was great, restrained and just really good in this role. nothing epic about this one, just a nicely done and thoroughly entertaining movie. wish it had done better financially and hope for more or at least more of the characters in some way in the Marvel world.

Old 07-24-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Man, I'm off today and wife has suggested I go to a movie, God bless her. So it just might be Ant Man for a second time.
Old 07-25-15, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Count me as one of the few detractors of this. It's not a bad movie, but in the grand scheme of the MCU, it's very mediocre. It feels like a cheaper rehash of the original Iron Man. The action sequences are absolutely fantastic though and Rudd and Douglas both make the film interesting. Ultimately it felt like they could have just tagged the Falcon fight at the end of Age of Ultron and served the same purpose.
Old 07-25-15, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is Shawn of the Dead really horror? Its more a comedy. Or were you being sarcastic?
Old 07-25-15, 09:07 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Is Shawn of the Dead really horror? Its more a comedy. Or were you being sarcastic?
it's a zom-com.
Old 07-25-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
And where do I say that it's a horror movie? "if you like horror".... doesn't mean that I'm saying it is horror. It means that it will be better appreciated by people who like horror.
Old 07-26-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Saw this again with my 6-year old twin daughters. Only their second live action film of any kind in theaters (This year's Cinderella film was the first). They both loved it.

We happened to go to Target after the film, and what struck me when I walked down the toy aisle, is that despite this easily being the most kid friendly Marvel film to date, there is almost no merchandise of any kind on shelves. There's a line in the Legends series, and that's pretty much it. And those are the $20 collector figures, and the only recognizable characters in that line for someone who's only familiar with the film are Ant-Man and the Wasp.
Old 07-27-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And where do I say that it's a horror movie? "if you like horror".... doesn't mean that I'm saying it is horror. It means that it will be better appreciated by people who like horror.
Yeah, I think you have to be a (classic) zombie movie fan to get the most out of Shaun.

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Yup. Hope was still underutilized in the final film, but the role was miles better than what was presented in the Wright draft.

As far as there not being a lot of Ant-Man toys (and there should be - this strikes me as a "Dancing Groot" level miss) - I did note yesterday taht Target carries a few Ant-Man books aimed at younger readers.
Old 08-01-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

finally got to seeing this today and absolutely loved it
this is top tier stuff from Marvel

loved the Tales To Astonish line and was floored to hear one of my favorite songs of all time ("Plainsong") used the way it was

cast was solid all throughout

look forward to revisiting this again
Old 08-02-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I'll try to add a few original thoughts here ...

You can tell this was a film made by committee (or a series of individuals). On the surface it strings together passably, but when you dig into it you can tell there are pieces "Frankensteined" together to give us the end product. Whether it is gaps in character development, leaps in the story, or (more tellingly) fragments that you can tell are suddenly missing, there are obvious suture markers on the film.

I can't believe the number of people who are raving about the Falcon fight scene. It was a glaring example of a piece that didn't fit but was shoe-horned in as a a connecting piece. It wasn't the idea of the scene itself, it was the artificially created need for the scene and the low production value. I like Falcon and can't wait to see him used more (and in a better manner), but that scene felt as if it was shot between takes for Agents of SHIELD. "We have Anthony Mackey for half a day and the lawn of an empty warehouse while the TV show is at lunch ... What can we do?" Maybe the beyond-small-scale of that scene was part of the joke and I missed it.

Corey Stoll was wasted in this film and that is to blame on either the multiple hands in the script or the editing. There are references to missing pieces of his character development, instead we get a failed Lex Luther impression. At one point Hope talks about the chemicals making him crazy, but there had been no hint of him experimenting on himself or even having donned the Yellow Jacket yet. The logic was completely absent from any story and plot line involving the villain. The backstory was there and ripe for the picking, but we were not given any chance for emotional or rational buy-in for his actions. I would have gladly traded out the arbitrary Falcon scene to use that time on the villain.

Or that time could have been used to explore the Quantum Realm and what happened to Janet (although, the way Hank explained it we should not be able to catch up to her as she is perpetually shrinking with a head start of a few decades). I realize this is probably set up for a future Ant Man installment, but it was portrayed very poorly. Instead of showing us that there are worlds and universes within ours, we just get a cheap and crappy replication of 1970's calaidescope-effect cinema (Willy Wonka, anybody?).

The humor, like the action, was disjointed, but enjoyable. I thought Rudd's comedic delivery was hit-and-miss (again, possibly the editing). While others are raving, I'm a little mixed on Michael Pena because I am not familiar with him. If he was acting, he was pretty much brilliant. However, I felt as if this is his normal schtick and they used it to the film's advantage. I actually liked the overly-stereotyped Russian hacker's lines better than some of Pena's.

Despite my criticisms (others have said it, so I didn't even mention that this is built on the framework of the Iron Man plot), I enjoyed the movie. The plot is heavy handed but accessible. The main characters are fun and enjoyable, but the secondary characters are too flat and serve only as tools for the main characters (as opposed to being rich and fleshed out enough to feel as if they are actual inhabitants of this cinematic universe). While I have no emotional tie to Wright and his work on this project, I can say it suffers from too many cooks in the kitchen. I don't care if the project was helmed by Wright, Reed, or Fiege, but it would have benefitted more from having one creative director, whomever that may have been.

I caught this in an afternoon matinee (with discounted concessions!) so my investment of $10 and change was enjoyably spent. I will pick it up once it hits home video ($20 range) and it will likely become a regular disc in my rotation of "background" movies that I play while doing other things.
Old 08-02-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

A few weeks late, but got around to seeing this today. Enjoyed it quite a bit and had a lot of fun, although I never felt that extra burst of excitement during the movie that I had for my favorite Marvel movies like Winter Soldier or the first Avengers. Still, as others have said it was refreshing to see a dialed back story versus all the grander scale movies recently and I enjoyed the heist/comedy bits throughout. I'd agree that Cross is a little boring though, and felt a lot like Stane as far as the whole takeover from another business man thing copying the technology.

Since the Falcon scene has been discussed a bit, I really enjoyed that bit. I thought they worked it in well in a manner that made sense, and I liked getting to see Ant-Man in his first real bit of action and how someone like Falcon would do trying to fight against a tiny guy too. Plus, I really enjoyed their conversation when they first meet on the roof.

As for all the Wright stuff... it's funny, I finally watched Hot Fuzz 2 weeks ago and didn't think much of it. Of Wright's movies, I've only really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim and thought Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were kind of boring and not particularly amazing. So personally, given the articles about what scenes were from Reed/McKay the movie sounds better for it. Especially since I actually WANT to see ties to the rest of the MCU.

Seems like this will end up being the 2nd lowest of the MCU movies, which isn't exactly a big surprise, but I think it was a success.
Old 08-02-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I think it's safe to say that at almost 300 million worldwide and counting it was nowhere near a bomb as some were wanting.
Old 08-02-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I think it's safe to say that at almost 300 million worldwide and counting it was nowhere near a bomb as some were wanting.
When all is said and done, it will likely surpass the worldwide box office of Captain America: The First Avenger, falling somewhere between that and Thor. Not bad for a character known less to general audiences than all the Marvel Studios headliners except for Guardians of the Galaxy. I'd imagine Marvel's expectations for the film were modest taking this into account.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.