Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by stvn1974
If Kylo Ren throws the Emperor down a thermal port because he is torturing Rey with force lightning I will rip my seat out of the floor and throw it at the movie screen.
We're gonna hold ya to this...

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The saga will go out not with a bang, but a whimper.
I wonder how GL feels about this??
I guess it doesn't really matter; he sold the rights away.
Besides, he COULD HAVE, at any point after ROTJ, done something with SW but chose NOT to...
Old 10-23-19, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
The shot of the Star Destroyer coming out of the water or whatever it was was just a great visual to me.
JJ must like big ships coming out of the water. He did the same thing in STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS.
Old 10-23-19, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What then when there a people who don't like the film after release and want to talk about it, should it be locked again?
We shouldn't be allowed to mention how much we dislike TLJ even though this film is a sequel to it. Now people who think it looks like ROTJ can't mention that either. I guess unless you are going to jerk off over everything Star Wars you should just stay out of the threads.
I didn't say lock the thread. And I wasn't even specifically referring to this thread - the "ROTJ ripoff" is already all over the Internet...as if haters were waiting for it. Let's wait until we see the movie before we start yelling "ripoff" for heaven's sake...we've seen about three minutes of footage for a 155-minute film.
Old 10-23-19, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
rumor has it
Spoiler:
Wedge
will be in it too, but I am skeptical.
That's been confirmed.
Old 10-23-19, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
We're gonna hold ya to this...

I wonder how GL feels about this??
I guess it doesn't really matter; he sold the rights away.
Besides, he COULD HAVE, at any point after ROTJ, done something with SW but chose NOT to...
As much as I’ve been disappointed by this trilogy thus far, I would never wish that George still had control.
Old 10-23-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I wish Lucas was in control but with someone keeping him in check. Thing is too that likely would have been the case had he not sold the rights as I doubt he’d have directed any of the sequels. As much as I bash him Lucas is a good idea guy and I’d have rather seen his story told to close out the saga instead of the retreaded, half baked trilogy we’ve gotten.
Old 10-23-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wish Lucas was in control but with someone keeping him in check. Thing is too that likely would have been the case had he not sold the rights as I doubt he’d have directed any of the sequels. As much as I bash him Lucas is a good idea guy and I’d have rather seen his story told to close out the saga instead of the retreaded, half baked trilogy we’ve gotten.
You have read what his story ideas were for the sequel trilogy, right? While I agree that he's a good story guy in general, I don't need three movies focusing on more midichlorian BS.
Old 10-23-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

This feels like Revisionist History. Nobody here was all that upset about TFA when it came out, except that it felt a little note-for-note remake of ANH. In fact in the Sci Fi Sheep game, TFA was the run away winner of Best Sci Fi Movie of the past 25 years Now the new trilogy is a huge disappointment with the third movie not even been seen or reviewed? I don't buy it
Old 10-23-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
You have read what his story ideas were for the sequel trilogy, right? While I agree that he's a good story guy in general, I don't need three movies focusing on more midichlorian BS.
The idea was freaking terrible. And I'm not so sure George is such a great idea man at this point. Not to rehash this yet again, but a lot of his ideas for the prequels were awful. He took the Jedi, the coolest things around, and turned them into celibate space priests who didn't have the guts to free slaves on Tatooine (they left Shmi Skywalker and the others behind to rot) and had the Emperor hiding under their noses for decades.
Old 10-23-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least he tried having some new ideas whether or not they were successful. The new films haven’t brought anything different to the table aside from characters, while shitting on legacy characters.
Old 10-23-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Here's a theory on "evil" C-3PO red eyes scene. Seems legit.

This Wild 'Star Wars' Fan Theory Says 'Dark Threepio' Signals a Big Return in 'Rise of Skywalker'

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wild...183100773.html

The Reddit user is predicting that Anakin Skywalker placed a message inside C-3PO in the same way that Leia did with R2-D2—and there might be something to this. J.J. Abrams has made it clear that he wants to pay homage to the original trilogy (and prequel trilogy) in his big finale for the series. Having the final film relay a message via a droid–but from the Dark Side of the force this time–would certainly mirror nicely with the beginning of the franchise. The theory continues:I even believe when Vader said “it is too late for ME, my son” he was speaking a very deeper meaning...Warning Kylo and Rey of the Emperors lies. Not to make the same mistake. Then circling right back to where Kylo was talking to Vader’s helmet. About “finishing what he started”. Which was to bring balance/be the chosen one. 3PO - the message is the melt your mind scene!What if this theory is true? Considering the context here it's really not too far of a leap. C-3PO could carry extremely important information from Anakin Skywalker. And something could activate the message, turning his eyes red, allowing Vader's voice to speak through the droid—like telling Rey or Kylo how to defeat Emperor Palpatine. Who knows, "Dark Threepio" could be the key to finally killing off the Sith and bringing balance to the force once and for all.
Old 10-23-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Here's a theory on "evil" C-3PO red eyes scene. Seems legit.

This Wild 'Star Wars' Fan Theory Says 'Dark Threepio' Signals a Big Return in 'Rise of Skywalker'

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wild...183100773.html

very legit
Old 10-23-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While kind of a cool idea in theory not really sure when Anakin/Vader would have had the chance to implant a message in 3PO. Yeah, he built him, but as a child long before he knew his fate. Not sure when else it would have happened other than perhaps on Bespin (the only time they really come close with each other outside of the prequels).
Old 10-23-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,018 Likes on 629 Posts

If Kylo Ren throws the Emperor down a thermal port because he is torturing Rey with force lightning I will rip my seat out of the floor and throw it at the movie screen.
Hey, this is JJ Abrams. He will TOTALLY change things up by having Rey throw the Emperor down a thermal port because he is torturing Kylo with force lightning. Then Kylo will turn to Rey and say "I have been, and always shall be, your friend."

Originally Posted by Decker
In fact in the Sci Fi Sheep game, TFA was the run away winner of Best Sci Fi Movie of the past 25 years
Sheep answers are not necessarily 'correct' answers. Without looking I'd wager good money that TFA isn't even the best scifi movie of the year it was released.
Old 10-23-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

While kind of a cool idea in theory not really sure when Anakin/Vader would have had the chance to implant a message in 3PO. Yeah, he built him, but as a child long before he knew his fate. Not sure when else it would have happened other than perhaps on Bespin (the only time they really come close with each other outside of the prequels).
Bespin was my first thought as well but it could've also been before he left for Mustafar?
Old 10-23-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This feels like Revisionist History. Nobody here was all that upset about TFA when it came out, except that it felt a little note-for-note remake of ANH. In fact in the Sci Fi Sheep game, TFA was the run away winner of Best Sci Fi Movie of the past 25 years Now the new trilogy is a huge disappointment with the third movie not even been seen or reviewed? I don't buy it
FWIW, I hated that GD insult to the SW Universe, and movie-making in general, known as The Force Awakens.
If it wasn't for the Mrs., I would have walked out of the theater.
A cynical money-grab if ever there was one.

Old 10-23-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bespin was my first thought as well but it could've also been before he left for Mustafar?
I dunno, that would have been when he was pretty much fully manipulated under Palpatine’s control. Seems a bit weird if that would be the case. By Bespin that was more when he was thinking he and Luke could team up to overthrow Palpatine.
Old 10-23-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

No shit. The prequels had already put Star Wars in the toilet. Anything would have been better than those and we've had two movies so far in this new trilogy that are far better than the prequels.
Old 10-23-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

This... Vader had a lot on his plate and planting a message in 3PO at Bespin or before Mustafar seems like a stretch (not downplaying the idea because they are literally the only options we're aware of). So given how difficult it would be to fathom this happening, I'm sure it will.
Old 10-23-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
No shit. The prequels had already put Star Wars in the toilet. Anything would have been better than those and we've had two movies so far in this new trilogy that are far better than the prequels.
I agree with you 100%.
Old 10-23-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
This... Vader had a lot on his plate and planting a message in 3PO at Bespin or before Mustafar seems like a stretch (not downplaying the idea because they are literally the only options we're aware of). So given how difficult it would be to fathom this happening, I'm sure it will.
It sounds like a fan theory that wasn’t all that well thought out. So knowing the sequels it’s plausible. It’ll be another of JJ Abrams’ bullshit mystery boxes like Luke’s saber coming into the hands of Maz with no explanation.
Old 10-23-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you 100%.

disagree big time. TLJ sucked worse than AOTC. Episode 3 was the best of the prequels.
Old 10-23-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

It sounds like a fan theory that wasn’t all that well thought out. So knowing the sequels it’s plausible. It’ll be another of JJ Abrams’ bullshit mystery boxes like Luke’s saber coming into the hands of Maz with no explanation.
Wouldn't you rather not know the answer to that particular mystery rather than seeing a hand floating though space?
Old 10-23-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't you rather not know the answer to that particular mystery rather than seeing a hand floating though space?
Actually no. Either explain it or just don’t include it. I hate the bullshit mystery stuff of it just is there because reasons we’ll never know.
Old 10-23-19, 03:10 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It’s a moot point to bitch about until this movie comes out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.