Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Old 10-21-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Ordered tickets for 7pm on December 19th. Doubt my local theater will sell out too fast anyways but decided I’d get them early anyways.
Old 10-21-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Damn, l just discovered my local Cinemark is now entirely reserved seating (used to only be for XD showings). I'm not paying their online service charge for tickets. My brother works next to the theater, so hopefully he can stop by tomorrow and score me a decent seat for 12/20. The first Thursday evening showtime is already 70% reserved, but my excitement level for this one isn't great enough to pay more than matinee price.
Old 10-21-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Damn, l just discovered my local Cinemark is now entirely reserved seating (used to only be for XD showings). I'm not paying their online service charge for tickets. My brother works next to the theater, so hopefully he can stop by tomorrow and score me a decent seat for 12/20. The first Thursday evening showtime is already 70% reserved, but my excitement level for this one isn't great enough to pay more than matinee price.
You could join their rewards for a month. You will save a couple of bucks for the tickets and they will waive the service fee. And you can cancel in a month
Old 10-21-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Got myself two reserved seats dead center at a perfect distance for $20 online at Cinemark. Best prices in my area by far and a nice theater. So nice to have reserved seats and not have to worry about how soon I get there. Flashing back to 2 hours in line before the prequels.
Old 10-21-19, 08:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Please let there be ANOTHER Death Star. You know, for originality to tie this out.

Pass with this new trailer, but looking forward to the UHD.
Old 10-21-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Will be waiting to see this for a few weeks afterward. I hate crowds.

As for the trailer... eh.
Old 10-21-19, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That trailer is pretty damning evidence for all the leaks that came out a while back.
Old 10-21-19, 08:58 PM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm mostly curious about the trailer to see if it matches up with the leaked synopsis on reddit.
The trailer doesn't really dispute anything from the synopsis, does it? Meh.

Originally Posted by Decker
You could join their rewards for a month. You will save a couple of bucks for the tickets and they will waive the service fee. And you can cancel in a month
Thanks for the tip. I wish this rewards/loyalty program crap wasn't necessary, but I'll have to at least look into it now that all three of my nearest theaters are reserved seating.

EDIT: My bro picked up tickets for 9:00AM opening day. He said the seating chart at the ticket office showed the theater was completely empty. I told him to select row J (out of A-Q). Hopefully that isn't too close to the screen. I'm not sure how many rows are on ground level, since it varies depending on the auditorium. Did I mention I hate reserved seating?

Last edited by joe_b; 10-22-19 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-21-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I thought the Trailer was 'meh', but I give Disney credit as they didn't 'nostalgia' it up as they solely focused on the new characters. The final Trailers for TFA and TLJ definitely got me more jazzed for those movies then this one.
Old 10-21-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

I saw nothing compelling in that trailer except the end of Disney's shitty fan fiction. The end of Star Wars is still Return of the Jedi.
Old 10-21-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Looks fantastic. Can’t wait for December. Haven’t been this excited about a movie since Endgame.
Old 10-21-19, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Looks good to me, I'm in.

One of the bits reminded me of the Space Battleship Yamato rising.
Old 10-21-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

Old 10-21-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I'll see it. I hear that the Knights of Ren will actually have names and all be in it.
Old 10-21-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Thought it looked great.
Old 10-21-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Looks fantastic. Can’t wait for December. Haven’t been this excited about a movie since Endgame.
This goes out for anyone who loved the trailer, as I don't want this to come off as combative. What are you seeing that I'm missing? It feels like ROTJ 2.0. Rey/Kylo battle, a Space Battle between The Resistance and First Order, and a final showdown with Palpatine in whatever form. Nothing feels new to me, other than all of these same storylines from ROTJ will take place in new settings that are bigger in scope (that look cool cause its new).
Old 10-21-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
This goes out for anyone who loved the trailer, as I don't want this to come off as combative. What are you seeing that I'm missing? It feels like ROTJ 2.0. Rey/Kylo battle, a Space Battle between The Resistance and First Order, and a final showdown with Palpatine in whatever form. Nothing feels new to me, other than all of these same storylines from ROTJ will take place in new settings that are bigger in scope (that look cool cause its new).

And it's Abrams directing. Force Awakens was basically a New Hope remade. Last Jedi at least didn't come close to being in Empire's league, I don't doubt that this will be ROTJ 2.0.
Old 10-21-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I like the characters, I like seeing things like Star Destroyers and the Falcon rendered with modern technology and effects and I’m curious to see where the story goes. I don’t remember much about seeing the originals in theaters as a kid (I saw ESB and ROTJ during the original run). I saw the rereleases but I had seen them a million times at home by then. The Prequels sucked so I’m excited about seeing a new good Star Wars movie for the first time on the big screen. That’s enough for me.
Old 10-21-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven

I like the characters, I like seeing things like Star Destroyers and the Falcon rendered with modern technology and effects and I’m curious to see where the story goes. I don’t remember much about seeing the originals in theaters as a kid (I saw ESB and ROTJ during the original run). I saw th rereleases but I had seen them a million times at home by then. The Prequels sucked so I’m excited about seeing a new good Star Wars movie for the first time on the big screen. That’s enough for me.
That's cool as I don't want to reign on anyone's parade who is hyped. Maybe because I saw all 3 OT films as a kid (ROTJ was still the best movie theater experience of my life because I was the perfect age of 11 years old). But the trailer 'looked' cool, but it just feels like the same old same old. I'll exit this thread as I don't want to shit on it as you guys should enjoy.
Old 10-21-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

This felt like it’s so much bigger than TFA and TLJ. Like they were made with a lot of money but they didn’t have the scope and this one has the scope. All the pieces coming together and showing the galaxy what really happens in a galactic civil war.

...my friends.
Old 10-21-19, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I saw nothing compelling in that trailer except the end of Disney's shitty fan fiction. The end of Star Wars is still Return of the Jedi.
Sums up my feelings as well.
Old 10-21-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Cibolo TX in AVX screen Thursday 9:30PM. Tix are flying.
Old 10-21-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Decided to go Friday morning at Alamo Drafthouse. 9am in their largest theater and got great seats.
Old 10-21-19, 10:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I liked the trailer. The one thing that Disney has done throughout the ST Teasers/Trailers is they usually replicate the movie and aren't advertising something that is false. After watching this trailer, I'm convinced that Luke will have a very small role in this movie, and so will Leia (I just don't believe they have that much footage of her, hence they used the same shot in both trailers of her hugging Rey). I even think Palpatine will play a smaller role than fans are expecting. I think he will be apart of the whole movie in terms of the plot, but I don't think we see him til the 3rd act. I think the movie will really focus on the new characters and none of the OT characters will overshadow them.

My only worry is that SW has always been a personal story and the space battles and the action have always been backround music to the real story. ROTJ had a huge space and land battle, but the real story was between Luke and his father and that is why the movie still resonates today. I hope that JJ can pull off a personal story that resonates and this isn't just a popcorn blockbuster movie that wows the fans with much of what we saw in the Trailer. That's cool at first, but that doesn't hold up years from now like a personal story does.
Old 10-21-19, 10:16 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Look, I'm just going to roll with it. I'm unsure on the Palpatine thing. I'm unsure on how so many characters are going to be well-featured. And I'm unsure how all of this can tie together.

And yet, friends... it's Star Wars. It's my thing. And I love it. I always have fun. I always find something great. And even when it isn't always exactly what I want it to be, there's undeniable magic there.

The prequels had their moments and lots of not-so-great moments. The originals are the greatest though there are bits that don't hold up years later. And the sequels are doing what they can with the hype.

But I'll be there. I'll be there opening night with my spouse. I'll be there the next day with my best friend from high school. I'll be there another time later that week for some 3D action. And then once more with my oldest kid.

It's Star Wars. And I'm sticking with it. I'm not a sports guy, but if you've ever been someone who roots for their team no matter what, maybe that's the sort of feeling I'm talking about. Star Wars and I will be together the rest of my life.

And I'm more than okay with that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.