Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mike86
YOU didn’t like it so clearly YOU didn’t understand it or something must be wrong with YOU or YOUR opinion. Get bent with that.

I’ve given reasons, I’m fairly certain you both know them. Yes, what I said happened in a certain sense, but it was done in a completely different way than I would have wanted or expected. If that works for you guys then fine. I don’t really give a rat’s ass. It didn’t for me and I’m able to hold that opinion.
Well, obviously your reasons for disliking the movie don't fit in the expectations of the fans of the movie for the reasons they think you should dislike it.

Old 09-16-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Not sure you want to make bets on which side has more hostility. People who enjoyed TLJ didn't bully Kelly Tran off of Twitter.
Old 09-16-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Not sure you want to make bets on which side has more hostility. People who enjoyed TLJ didn't bully Kelly Tran off of Twitter.
I’m just referring to DVD Talk members. I haven’t attacked the actors/actresses personally or any of the fans who like the film. I can’t say the same for people from the opposite side, as was previously displayed just a page back.
Old 09-16-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh come on, there is a segment of idiots on social media everywhere. Not one person here who hated TLJ condones that behavior towards the actors. The same shit happened to Jake Lloyd and Ahmad Best and that was before Social Media so there is idiots in all walks of life. Don’t lump us in with them.
Old 09-16-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I’ve said it on more than one occasion and have went into more detail previously, more so in the reviews thread for The Last Jedi. You’ve only recently started to chime in with feeling the need to attack me or others who share my opinion so I shouldn’t have to repeat myself.
I don't think asking questions of your stated opinion or pointing out contradictions in your reasoning count as "attacking" you. At best, they're attacking your opinions, which you keep repeating. Your opinions are your own and you aren't wrong to have them, but if you keep repeatedly voicing them, you're going to keep getting people responding to them and challenging them. Nobody's saying you can't hold those opinions, but you don't have a right to repeat them unchallenged either.

BTW, the last time you brought up Luke in TLJ, I reasoned through all your explanations for why you didn't like it, and your response was:
That explanation is fine and well, but it doesn't change the fact that it didn't work for me.
You don't have a rational explanation for why you had the emotional response that you did. Every time you say something like "they didn't do X," it's pointed out that X actually was done, and then you respond "well, I still don't like it, stop attacking me!" Sometimes our responses aren't fully rational, but I think you have to acknowledge that, instead of trying to give reasons that aren't actually true.
Old 09-16-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli
Oh come on, there is a segment of idiots on social media everywhere. Not one person here who hated TLJ condones that behavior towards the actors. The same shit happened to Jake Lloyd and Ahmad Best and that was before Social Media so there is idiots in all walks of life. Don’t lump us in with them.
You're trying to lump all the TLJ likers into simple derogatory caricatures. Do you now see the hypocrisy in your own actions?
Old 09-16-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that not an example of TLJ detractors showing open hostility?
Old 09-16-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I don't think asking questions of your stated opinion or pointing out contradictions in your reasoning count as "attacking" you. At best, they're attacking your opinions, which you keep repeating. Your opinions are your own and you aren't wrong to have them, but if you keep repeatedly voicing them, you're going to keep getting people responding to them and challenging them. Nobody's saying you can't hold those opinions, but you don't have a right to repeat them unchallenged either.

BTW, the last time you brought up Luke in TLJ, I reasoned through all your explanations for why you didn't like it, and your response was:
Yeah and guess why? Because that’s your opinion and I’m not trying to change it or tell you your opinion is wrong, like you’ve done to me on multiple occasions.

Also just a few pages back you essentially went as far as to say that while I had an opinion on something that my reasoning for having it was wrong. So you really do try and invalidate my opinions on certain things and have done so more than once.
Old 09-16-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I suspect that KMT was chased off of social media by one particular alt-right troll and his followers who have a history of harassing women in genre entertainment. It certainly fits within a pattern of behavior with his person, and he does seem to have an irrational hatred of Tran (and not just the character she plays).

Old 09-16-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Dont worry these were the same guys who shit on the Prequels for years and years and now they don’t like that people didn’t like TLJ so they give the same argument as the Prequel defenders, “You didn’t like it cause it didn’t jive with the story you built up in your head all those years.”. Oh the irony.....
Oh I don’t like the prequels because the trade embargo story is stupid, the greenscreens already look dated, the Gungans and Nemodians are racist caricatures, the acting is terrible and the writing is laughably ridiculous. Nothing to do with “what I built up in my head”. I actually never wanted the prequels - they explained stuff that didn’t need explaining and make the OT worse because of it (it’s all midichlorians these days).

I mean they managed to have one good scene (Duel of the Fates) out of three movies. That’s a pretty terrible showing.
Old 09-16-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

Oh I don’t like the prequels because the trade embargo story is stupid, the greenscreens already look dated, the Gungans and Nemodians are racist caricatures, the acting is terrible and the writing is laughably ridiculous. Nothing to do with “what I built up in my head”. I actually never wanted the prequels - they explained stuff that didn’t need explaining and make the OT worse because of it (it’s all midichlorians these days).

I mean they managed to have one good scene (Duel of the Fates) out of three movies. That’s a pretty terrible showing.
Thanks, as you made my point. You didn’t like the PT cause you didn’t like just as the people who didn’t like TLJ. It’s no coincidence that when you like a movie, you enjoy the story, the characters, etc. And when you don’t like a movie, than you usually don’t like much of that same stuff. That’s why people love and hate stuff as it’s pretty simple to me.

My point is the Prequel defenders used to try that tired argument and couldn’t accept that people didn’t like the movies. Now I see the SAME arguments going on with TLJ as the fans of the movie can’t accept that some people hate the movie.

Old 09-16-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
But TFA and TLJ were just nostalgia. There's nothing new in either of those movies. The ST is just recycling stuff from the OT. They're even bringing Palpatine back in the next one.
I meant in regards to the quality and story of TLJ in comparison to ROTJ. I agree with the criticism of the recycling.

TLJ was just a remake of ESB. Evaculate the rebel base. The empire strikes back. The heroes get separated. The novice Jedi goes to train with a cranky old master. Throw in some AT-ATs salty Hoth, and the throne room scene from ROTJ. Nothing new there.
[george lucas]It's like poetry. It rhymes.[/george lucas]

It's not that I want new Star Wars to be what I saw when I was a kid, I want it to go beyond what it was three decades ago, continue the story and go to some new places, not just recycle the old movies.
I feel the same way. After all this time I would have expected these new films to surpass the originals and have a stronger evolution of ideas and visuals. That didn't happen with ROTJ or the PT because Lucas was more concerned with how it affected his merchandising empire, and it's definitely not going to happen now that Disney owns the property.

Also, I don't agree with people excusing the flaws in the Disney Star Wars films by citing the worst of ROTJ and the prequels. That's a pretty low bar. However, I don't think that the quality of the Disney ST is inconsistent with the OT. By the time of ROTJ we were seeing things getting recycled.

So you’re saying Snoke/Rey/Kylo Throne Room scene is better than The Emperor/Vader/Luke Throne Room Scene? Cause TLJ essentially rips off that scene.

Definitely not. Luke's final battle with Darth Vader was one of the most rewarding scenes in film IMO. Everything from the build up from the previous two films, the music that accompanied the scene, and Hamill's portrayal of Luke's rage was perfection.
Rey and Kylo's battle in TLJ lacked any real sense of excitement. It was the obligatory light saber fight scene, where they fought faceless and disposable action figures.

But the movie ends with Rey/Good Guy, Kylo/Villain, and Resistance vs First Order.
Had Kylo made a more convincing offer, and had Rey accepted, THAT would have been a cliffhanger, as well as more daring than turning Luke into Yoda 2.0.

But back to my comparison of TLJ to ROTJ.
TLJ had better acting and a better concept than what we saw in ROTJ. I loved the message of learning from failure, and I thought a lot of the acting was on point. I also loved DJ's character and how he puts into question the morality of the Resistance in context of the war profiteers.
ROTJ on the other hand had poor dialogue and poor performances for a majority of the film. Was there a message there? It just felt like an exercise in tying up loose ends, tacked on with a feel good ending. But I'll take Luke vs Vader II over the entirety of TFA and TLJ any day.
Old 09-16-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah and guess why? Because that’s your opinion and I’m not trying to change it or tell you your opinion is wrong, like you’ve done to me on multiple occasions.

Also just a few pages back you essentially went as far as to say that while I had an opinion on something that my reasoning for having it was wrong. So you really do try and invalidate my opinions on certain things and have done so more than once.
I don't know why this needs to be explicitly stated, but I'll do it: when I say your opinion is poorly reasoned, that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to "invalidate" your opinion, I have no such authority, but stating my view and reasoning of my opinion, and arguing where I feel your reasoning fails.

Meanwhile, you consistently concede my reasoning:
That explanation is fine and well..
Fair enough points.
But don't change your opinion.

And if I've challenged your reasoning more than once, it's because you've brought it up more than once. There's no limit on how many times people can challenge your opinion when you keep publicly voicing it. And new people don't have to research old challenges to your opinions when you bring them up again. That's not you being attacked, that's what happens when you keep repeatedly voicing opinions in a public forum that other members may disagree with.
Old 09-16-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Thanks, as you made my point. You didn’t like the PT cause you didn’t like just as the people who didn’t like TLJ. It’s no coincidence that when you like a movie, you enjoy the story, the characters, etc. And when you don’t like a movie, than you usually don’t like much of that same stuff. That’s why people love and hate stuff as it’s pretty simple to me.

My point is the Prequel defenders used to try that tired argument and couldn’t accept that people didn’t like the movies. Now I see the SAME arguments going on with TLJ as the fans of the movie can’t accept that some people hate the movie.

The criticism of TLJ seems to be things like how Luke behaved or that the Canto Bright scene was bad. My prequel criticism is that they are poorly made films, with terrible writing and acting. You can not like the plot of TLJ or the fact that Luke wasn’t an Uber-Jedi, but overall the quality of the film is better than any of the prequels, simply because it wasn’t a bunch of wooden actors standing on a green screen saying “master” and “m’lady” every other line.
Old 09-17-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know why this needs to be explicitly stated, but I'll do it: when I say your opinion is poorly reasoned, that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to "invalidate" your opinion, I have no such authority, but stating my view and reasoning of my opinion, and arguing where I feel your reasoning fails.
The problem I oftentimes find with you is how you state things. You don't say it in a way where it's conversational. It more comes across like you feel your opinion is right, mine is wrong, and here's why. It basically doesn't matter what I say because no matter what there's always a way you'll counter me. It would be one thing if it was a more civil exchange with both of us trying to see the other side, which I've tried doing, but with you it always comes off like I'm being talked down to for having an opinion different than yours.

Meanwhile, you consistently concede my reasoning:

But don't change your opinion.
I concede at times if I'm tired of arguing with you or maybe trying to give you some credit for feeling the way you do even if I don't personally agree with your opinions. Something you never do and always just tell me why how I feel is wrong. Again, a lot of it boils down to your tone and attitude.
Old 09-17-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, as you made my point. You didn’t like the PT cause you didn’t like just as the people who didn’t like TLJ...
No, he didn't like the PT for specific reasons, as he's stated, and has likely defended over the years.

I've done similar. Here's me arguing about the SEs of the OT (it goes on for several posts).
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/57...l#post10324053

And later in the thread, I argue about the PT for several posts:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/57...l#post10400438

If you voice an opinion, expect the possibility of disagreement. When it happens, you can either defend your opinion, or you can drop the discussion. Whining about the fact that people who disagree with you are daring to do so just comes of as an immature attempt to try and shut out anything that doesn't fit your own worldview.

And the complaints about the ST that are getting challenged aren't necessary "I didn't like the treatment of Luke," but "I didn't like the treatment of Luke because of X," except X is incorrect. "Luke didn't help out or have a final showdown." "Actually, he did." "Stop criticizing my opinions!"
Old 09-17-19, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem I oftentimes find with you is how you state things. You don't say it in a way where it's conversational. It more comes across like you feel your opinion is right, mine is wrong, and here's why.
Yes, that's how disagreements can sometimes be voiced. I'm not here to (necessarily) be your friend, but voice my opinions and challenge ones I disagree with.

It basically doesn't matter what I say because no matter what there's always a way you'll counter me. I
Maybe it feels that way to you, but if you provide a valid point, I'll concede it. I've done so in the past, although maybe not to you, since you often drop any defense of your reasoning, which doesn't allow for any middle ground to be reached.

I concede at times if I'm tired of arguing with you or maybe trying to give you some credit for feeling the way you do...
I pointed out specifically where you've conceded my reasoning, not my feelings. I've repeatedly conceded your feelings while still pointing out flaws in your reasoning.
Old 09-17-19, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

And yet, it's what happened with Justice League. Still, firing a director outright after production has started is very, very rare. Even if there were issues after the first week of production, trying to work things out is still considered the smart thing to do. After all, there's always reshoots. Lord and Miller appeared to give a lot of pushback over anyone else having any oversight or control over the shoot though, so they didn't appear likely to play ball even in reshoots, which is why the firing. Yes, it was a bad situation. Yes, in hindsight, not firing them earlier looks like a mistake. Hell, knowing what we know now, they should never had been hired in the first place. But the decisions weren't made with the benefit of hindsight, they were made trying to make the best decision for the film at the time, and were part of a constant barrage of tiny, incremental decisions that come with the day-to-day of a production.
I'm not entirely sure but didn't Snyder leave JL because of the tragic death of his daughter? And didn't they use what he already shot and basically brought Whedon in to finish it.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/166...justice-league

Apparently so, and not only that he was working with Snyder before his departure. Totally different reasons. I will concede that it is easy to say with the benefit of hindsight and producing is not an easy thing to do. But still the captain goes down with the ship and ultimately, fair or not, KK gets the blame (and to her credit has taken the blame) for Solo.

I feel you've lost track of the argument. My point about BO was that Ant-Man wasn't the "surprise success" you tried to characterize it, but, at best, a moderate success that sits near the bottom of performers for Marvel films. Marvel saw potential in the newly established to film character and greenlit a sequel though, which also did moderately well for a Marvel film. They're not "surprise successes."

Ant-Man made $519 million worldwide, Solo $392 million. That's 32% better, not 3x. Are you trying to compare the performance of two films to one to artificially inflate the difference?
Ok I guess, it's just semantics on if they are surprise successes even though that's a very subjective term I'll let you have that they could be called expected successes. No one even brought up a comparison to the other Marvel films. The only reason why Ant-Man was brought up was to show the difference in handling a difficult situation and the difference in success between Ant-Man and Solo. But we can at least agree that they were successes. And yes I did compare two films to Solo's...well solo outing. And it's not artificially inflating the difference. Because call them expected successes if you want but they didn't greenlight the sequel for Ant-Man until after the first one came out. You really think with these movies they're not counting on them becoming franchises with multiple sequels? So yes comparatively Ant-Man spawned a sequel and the both of them ended up with over a billion at the BO. Whereas Solo was so obviously written as a franchise starter petered out at the BO so that it's sequel will likely not be greenlit. It's failure wasn't just in it's BO but that it performed SO poorly that Lucasfilm had to rethink ALL of their Star Wars films. So yeah it's a fair comparison. Ant-Man started a billion dollar franchise, Solo killed one.

Old 09-17-19, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

I thought this was very very sad and an example of the day and age we live in now. I love coming on this forum and arguing back and forth the merit of different aspects of movies. But to attack a person just because of the job that they did especially when it wasn't something that was really their choice.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I suspect that KMT was chased off of social media by one particular alt-right troll and his followers who have a history of harassing women in genre entertainment. It certainly fits within a pattern of behavior with his person, and he does seem to have an irrational hatred of Tran (and not just the character she plays).
I hope that's the case. Unfortunately with social media it only takes a handful of people to do something like that.

It really made me happy that she had such a huge applause at Star Wars Celebration. Restored my faith in the Star Wars fans a bit. I guarantee you not everyone loved her character but they sure showed their appreciation of her as an actress and human being.
Old 09-17-19, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I thought this was very very sad and an example of the day and age we live in now. I love coming on this forum and arguing back and forth the merit of different aspects of movies. But to attack a person just because of the job that they did especially when it wasn't something that was really their choice.
Or even something that matters one bit ...
Old 09-17-19, 04:46 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I’ve said it on more than one occasion and have went into more detail previously, more so in the reviews thread for The Last Jedi. You’ve only recently started to chime in with feeling the need to attack me or others who share my opinion so I shouldn’t have to repeat myself.
I haven’t attacked anyone in this thread or The Last Jedi. Challenging an opinion based on facts, sure. Not the same thing.
Old 09-17-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not entirely sure but didn't Snyder leave JL because of the tragic death of his daughter? And didn't they use what he already shot and basically brought Whedon in to finish it.
That's the official story, yes. However, your original post didn't specify that the original director was fired, just that they were replaced, which led to a change in story and tone, which happened.

Joss Whedon got a screenwriting credit, which means he contributed at least to 33% of the final script.
https://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/ju...on-1201898421/
In the case of “Justice League,” which is not based on original material, for Whedon to receive screenplay credit the WGA would need to have determined his contribution to equal at least 33% of the final shooting script...

There is also this piece of guidance from WGA to arbiters:

As a general rule, for a “second writer(s)” to share screenplay credit the contribution to the screenplay must consist of changes of a substantial and original nature that, in the opinion of the Arbitration Committee, go to the root of the drama or comedy and constitute substantially more than the contribution of the “first writer.”
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...ories-spoilers
[A source] said: "The Justice League reshoots and the resulting changes being made to the film are significant. These reshoots – which are still taking place – are not standard pick-ups or additional photography.

"Why? Apparently, an early cut of the film was deemed 'unwatchable.' Thus, substantial changes to the film were ordered."
Even just having control of the edit can have a significant impact on the film, which is how we got the concept of "director's cut" in the first place.

I will concede that it is easy to say with the benefit of hindsight and producing is not an easy thing to do. But still the captain goes down with the ship and ultimately, fair or not, KK gets the blame (and to her credit has taken the blame) for Solo.
At least you admit blaming solely Kathleen Kennedy is unfair.

It's not so much the statements like "Kathleen Kennedy has a failure with Solo," that get me so much as the ones that claim "Solo bombed, so Kathleen Kennedy is a bad producer, Lucasfilm is leaderless, Disney is on the verge of firing her any day now, etc." Sure, Solo didn't do well, but she also shepherded in 3 films that did over $1 billion worldwide.

Ok I guess, it's just semantics on if they are surprise successes even though that's a very subjective term I'll let you have that they could be called expected successes. No one even brought up a comparison to the other Marvel films.
Why wouldn't Marvel or others use the performance of their previous films to build their expectation of Ant-Man's performance?

And yes I did compare two films to Solo's...well solo outing. And it's not artificially inflating the difference. Because call them expected successes if you want but they didn't greenlight the sequel for Ant-Man until after the first one came out.
And if Solo had done better, they might've greenlit a sequel to that. The decision of a sequel was based on the performance of the first film, in both cases. You don't compared the relative success of individual films based on the entirety of a franchise that may or may not exist. I mean, otherwise why not compare Ant-Man to the entire Skywalker Saga? Or just episodes 7 & 8, which Kathleen also produced?

So yes comparatively Ant-Man spawned a sequel and the both of them ended up with over a billion at the BO.
This line seems poorly written, since it implies that each film broke a billion, which didn't happen for either. You should've stated that it was the BO of the two films combined that broke a billion.

It's failure wasn't just in it's BO but that it performed SO poorly that Lucasfilm had to rethink ALL of their Star Wars films.
While Solo appears to have put a halt on the spin-off standalones, for now, It's not clear if Solo impacted TRoS at all.

Last edited by Jay G.; 09-17-19 at 08:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 09-17-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

I keep checking this thread hoping for some new info or pictures from this movie but all I ever get is a vocal few bitching about TLJ. Is there any way we can keep that well-worn discussion in the TLJ review thread instead?
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 09-17-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

^^ Word!
Old 09-17-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if The Dark Knight Rises thread had discussion on The Dark Knight in it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.