Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-19, 11:55 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Britney Spears has sold over 150 million albums world wide so...

Michael Bay's Transformers films made billions of dollars too, doesn't mean they are good films.

TLJ's total just shows that fans didn't like it enough to go see it 12 times like they did The Force Awakens.
No one is talking about quality. People usually don’t buy things because they hate it. Not as many people saw TLJ because the nostalgia factor was gone after TFA.
Old 09-13-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I feel like the ending of Rogue One is very risky for a blockbuster film.
Yeah, it really was. They had the luxury of doing it there because they had two leads (in addition to the supporting cast) who weren't going to appear in any more movies, so they went ahead and offed them. Even then, I really found Jyn and Cassian's death scene to be really affecting. Probably the best bit of raw emotion in a Star Wars movie since Luke fought Vader in Cloud City. The image of those two on the beach waiting for the fireball to engulf them was just harrowing.

But on the flipside, Han's death in TFA did very little for me. It just felt horribly perfunctory, like it was something everyone just wanted to get done and get over with. It's so weird that I felt more for Jyn and Cassian, who I had just met, than for someone I had, effectively, grown up with. Maybe it's because I know that Harrison Ford demanded the character be killed off, so it seemed artificial? I don't know.

Old 09-13-19, 02:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

^ 100% yes!
Old 09-13-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Again with the Solo nonsense. Where is the proof that TLJ had ANYTHING to do with the performance of Solo? If people really didn’t care for TLJ, it wouldn’t have made over a billion dollars. It would have dropped like a rock at the box office. But it didn’t. If anything it supports the notion that, hey, the segment that didn’t like TLJ isn’t that large.
Not really. Sounds like TLJ sold one hundred million or so tickets like the previous ones.

TFA, RO, and TLJ were all billion dollar movies. Then Solo loses two-thirds of the audience of the first three. It's not out of the realm of possibility to see that the Star Wars movie before it soured the movie going public on the franchise.

I don't know if there is a single answer as to why. Was it poorly marketed? Was it released too soon after the last Star Wars film? Nobody wanted to see someone other than Ford play Han Solo? Did the depiction of Han in TFA damage the character in the eyes of the public? Backlash against TLJ?

Either way, Disney pulled back on their Star Wars slate, so they're definitely spooked and not treating it like an anomaly. They are legitimately concerned about the brand.
Old 09-13-19, 04:03 PM

It’s possible, but not probable.
Old 09-14-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Either way, Disney pulled back on their Star Wars slate, so they're definitely spooked and not treating it like an anomaly. They are legitimately concerned about the brand.
They have two streaming shows ready for Disney+... they're not THAT concerned.
Old 09-14-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The problem with Eps 7-9 is they missed a giant opportunity to bring the three original stars back together (Ford, Fisher and Hamill) to pass the torch onto the next generation. There wasn't a single scene with all three of them; it should have happened toward the end of TFA.
Old 09-15-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

What is Rian Johnson's trilogy about? 100 years after the ST? New Jedi academy in full swing?
Old 09-15-19, 02:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
What is Rian Johnson's trilogy about? 100 years after the ST? New Jedi academy in full swing?
I don't think the timeline has been set but I think I remember reading it was the same time but a different part of the galaxy farther farther away.

I also do not think it will ever see the light of day.

Old 09-15-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
The problem with Eps 7-9 is they missed a giant opportunity to bring the three original stars back together (Ford, Fisher and Hamill) to pass the torch onto the next generation. There wasn't a single scene with all three of them; it should have happened toward the end of TFA.
I'll bet Ep 9 will have a lame scene with force ghosts of the three of them together. (Even though Han wasn't a Jedi)
Old 09-15-19, 02:17 PM

​​​Neither is Leia if we’re getting technical, though do you just have to be strong in the Force to have a Force Ghost? Hmmm.
Old 09-15-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I'll bet Ep 9 will have a lame scene with force ghosts of the three of them together. (Even though Han wasn't a Jedi)
i think there will be 2 reunions (just my gut):

-Han/Leia flashback dropping off Ben Solo to Luke’s Jedi Academy. I could see them coaxing Ford to come back for one cameo and he talks to Luke about being skeptical (Remember Luke says to Rey that Han was ‘Han’ about it. They will photoshop Leia in the background so it’s technically a Big 3 reunion.

-Luke/Leia ForceGhost will nod to Rey and a redeemed Ben Solo at the end of movie after they kill Palpatine.

Again, just my hunch as I haven’t read any spoilers on this. I can live with a Big 3 reunion with old footage of Leia as the Trilogy needs something with the 3 characters together.
Old 09-15-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
This trilogy has already upped the lameness so far so this will just be the lame cherry on top.
Old 09-15-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not really. Sounds like TLJ sold one hundred million or so tickets like the previous ones.

TFA, RO, and TLJ were all billion dollar movies. Then Solo loses two-thirds of the audience of the first three. It's not out of the realm of possibility to see that the Star Wars movie before it soured the movie going public on the franchise.

I don't know if there is a single answer as to why. Was it poorly marketed? Was it released too soon after the last Star Wars film? Nobody wanted to see someone other than Ford play Han Solo? Did the depiction of Han in TFA damage the character in the eyes of the public? Backlash against TLJ?

Single answer: it was bad.

It was poorly conceived, wrought with bad publicity during its production, and terribly executed. There is some good in it, there even is some “great” in it ... but the damage was done before the film ever hit the screen. It was marketed with the skill and mastery of John Carter.

Just because I can never say this enough (and I know it drives some of you batty) ... Baby Driver is the Solo origin story we should have gotten.
Old 09-15-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Solo is the only Star Wars movie I haven't seen. Nobody was asking for that movie.
Old 09-15-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Solo is the only Star Wars movie I haven't seen. Nobody was asking for that movie.
Disney execs saw $$ and figured they could go quick and lazy with their movies. “Solo”, “Obi-Wan”, “Boba Fett”, etc. were effortless money grabs. It may have been best that Solo underperformed. It, at least, showed Disney they had to put some effort into their movies.
Old 09-15-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea for me Solo I didn't feel someone could replace Ford in even a tiny way. He wasn't believable to me as Solo. I had no interest in it at all. But when I seen it I felt he pulled it off at least a little bit. It had some ok moments but the story was weak. Rise I figure well might as well get it over with and be done with it. It couldn't be as half assed of a mess as Last Jedi right.......RIGHT.
Old 09-15-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I liked Solo. I still stand by it saying it’s underrated. It’s not perfect by any stretch but it’s a decent movie. Ford is one of those actors who is just hard to replace, which I’m sure others will use as a reason the film shouldn’t exist, but I think Alden did a serviceable job as a younger Han. I’ve said since the beginning a lot of the reason I feel that way is that he isn’t just trying his best Harrison Ford impression. He adds a bit of his own take but still has some of the mannerisms. It’s by numbers for a lot of the film as to how certain things happened that we know of the character, but nothing really bothered me that much other than maybe the way he gets Solo as his last name. I think you could do more with Solo as a series personally rather than a movie franchise. There’s a lot of goodness there that could be mined for some good stories in the Star Wars lore.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-15-19 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I loved TFA when I watched it in the theater several times and then again on BD several times. After TLJ I soured on it somewhat.

I loved Rogue One opening night and love it even more with each viewing. It is the one so far that feels like the OT.

The Last Jedi I actually like on opening night (I was the only one, everyone in my group hated it) but after the second time I came down from the high of new Star Wars and saw what a terrible film it really is. I didn't like what was done to Luke from the beginning but thought it could be "fixed" in the third film. I no longer feel like it will be no matter what.

I wasn't really excited about Solo and didn't even bother with going to see it on opening night which is the first Star Wars since Jedi that that didn't happen. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and am still bummed we won't be getting a sequel. Chewy made the movie for me.

I am even less excited for The Rise Of Skywalker as I was for Solo. Here is hoping Abrams can give us another The Force Awakens and not Star Trek or Star Trek Into Darkness...or worse, The Last Jedi Part II.
Old 09-15-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

This is going to make like $180-250M opening weekend and probably do like $1.5 billion worldwide.

Anyone who thinks "The Fans" don't care or are still angry after The Last Jedi or won't see this is delusional.
Old 09-15-19, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't anybody graduate Skywalker Academy?

Maybe they had stayed to get their PhDs?
Old 09-15-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I loved TFA when I watched it in the theater several times and then again on BD several times. After TLJ I soured on it somewhat.

I loved Rogue One opening night and love it even more with each viewing. It is the one so far that feels like the OT.

The Last Jedi I actually like on opening night (I was the only one, everyone in my group hated it) but after the second time I came down from the high of new Star Wars and saw what a terrible film it really is. I didn't like what was done to Luke from the beginning but thought it could be "fixed" in the third film. I no longer feel like it will be no matter what.

I wasn't really excited about Solo and didn't even bother with going to see it on opening night which is the first Star Wars since Jedi that that didn't happen. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and am still bummed we won't be getting a sequel. Chewy made the movie for me.

I am even less excited for The Rise Of Skywalker as I was for Solo. Here is hoping Abrams can give us another The Force Awakens and not Star Trek or Star Trek Into Darkness...or worse, The Last Jedi Part II.
I feel like I wrote this post..

The Force Awakens- I liked. Still do to an extent, but I don’t view it the same way as when I initially saw it.

Rogue One- probably Disney’s best Star Wars film to date. It felt like the Original Trilogy and provides a very nice lead in to A New Hope.

The Last Jedi- I liked it when I saw it the first time. Second viewing I liked it less. Started to really dislike it third viewing at home on Blu-ray.

Solo- like I mentioned above, while not great I do like it very much and find it quite underrated. Probably my second favorite Disney Star Wars film to date.

As far as the future, I look forward to watching The Mandalorian. I’m not fooling anyone or myself saying I won’t see The Rise of Skywalker, but I’m not very excited for it at all. I’m at a point with it where I just want it to end.
Old 09-16-19, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Single answer: it was bad.

It was poorly conceived, wrought with bad publicity during its production, and terribly executed. There is some good in it, there even is some “great” in it ... but the damage was done before the film ever hit the screen. It was marketed with the skill and mastery of John Carter.

Just because I can never say this enough (and I know it drives some of you batty) ... Baby Driver is the Solo origin story we should have gotten.
Hell... Baby's opening outfit pretty much says "Han Solo". I thought that was a nice touch since Ansel didn't get the role.
Old 09-16-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I liked the movie... but in retrospect, it would have been better served to be a Disney+ exclusive or series considering a new lead character and the overall willingness of the public to pay to see it in theaters.
Old 09-16-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

And people were asking for Rogue One? Correct me if I’m wrong, but fans wanted another movie about the design of Deathstar following a bunch of unknown characters? Yet the movie made a billion dollars cause it rode the momentum of The Force Awakens (along with a Darth Vader scene that many loved). You release Rogue One in May 2018 and it bombs like Solo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.