Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,162 Likes on 908 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Brack
So there’s nowhere the new film can go that doesn’t touch on the previous two films? I’m not sure that’s going to be case. TLJ subverted some expectations, but there’s a lot of issues and plot devices from the last two films that appear to still be in play. I mean there’s the Knights of Ren supposedly, the whole balanced Force thing, Rey, Kylo, a rebellion that needs building, lots of things that I’m sure will be addressed. Just because it’s not blatantly obvious what’s going to happen like we had set up with the prequel trilogy does mean TLJ left us with nothing.
I said there are directions it can go. I just think nothing clear cut that makes sense and is going to really tie the films together to form as good of a trilogy, let alone a satisfying end to the Skywalker saga.

I mean the Knights of Ren to this point have been nothing more than name dropped characters we know pretty much nothing about. The balanced Force thing and Rey/Kylo is kind of meh at this point. The more interesting turn to have taken there would have been after they teamed up in Snoke’s throne room to keep them paired together. Instead the next sequence they’re at odds again (and it doesn’t seem like that’s changed in Episode IX). A rebellion that needs building isn’t really something that ties up the trilogy and the saga, especially if you’re doing it at the tail end.

What makes some sense (though I’m not the biggest fan of the idea) is Kylo’s redemption. Problem there is that it feels like another retread. The only idea I’ve seen thrown around that I like quite a bit is that of Rey being a clone.
Old 09-01-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I said there are directions it can go. I just think nothing clear cut that makes sense and is going to really tie the films together to form as good of a trilogy..
I think you could've said the same after ESB, before ROTJ came out. ESB threw a lot of curveballs. The Rebels are chased out of their base by an Empire that seems to be thriving, instead of mortally wounded. Luke failed in the test in the cave, didn't complete his training, and failed to defeat Vader. Han's frozen in carbonite and taken away. Obi-Wan and Yoda mention "another," meaning Luke isn't their only hope. Vader, the main villain up to this point, is revealed as Luke's father, which also means Obi-Wan lied to Luke. I don't think, with all those balls in the air, people necessarily thought there was as "clear cut" way to tie that all together in a satisfying way.
Old 09-01-19, 11:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

All great points.

and Mike, even if you don’t care about any of those plot points I mentioned, the fact that this trilogy isn’t complete yet you are managing to criticize it like it is just doesn’t make sense.
Old 09-01-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
But the more hardcore audience, like myself (and, likely you, too, Mike) are wanting something with a goddamned epic sweep like Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire, or even The Wizarding World.
I’m as hardcore a Star Wars fan as anyone here and I love the direction of the new trilogy (and Solo and Rogue One too). The idea that all hardcore fans want something different than what we are getting is simply not true.
Old 09-01-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I think you could've said the same after ESB, before ROTJ came out. ESB threw a lot of curveballs. The Rebels are chased out of their base by an Empire that seems to be thriving, instead of mortally wounded. Luke failed in the test in the cave, didn't complete his training, and failed to defeat Vader. Han's frozen in carbonite and taken away. Obi-Wan and Yoda mention "another," meaning Luke isn't their only hope. Vader, the main villain up to this point, is revealed as Luke's father, which also means Obi-Wan lied to Luke. I don't think, with all those balls in the air, people necessarily thought there was as "clear cut" way to tie that all together in a satisfying way.
Fair enough points. I suppose hindsight does benefit how the original films are viewed to an extent. Maybe not clear cut how the finale would play out, but I do think there were general ideas that made sense to happen in the final film.
Old 09-01-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All great points.

and Mike, even if you don’t care about any of those plot points I mentioned, the fact that this trilogy isn’t complete yet you are managing to criticize it like it is just doesn’t make sense.
Hey if I’m wrong and the film is good I’ll admit it when it happens. I just don’t think there’s enough to invest into making me care that much about the finale of this trilogy, which is also the conclusion to the entire saga at this point. I’d love to be proven wrong but I’m highly skeptical that I will be.
Old 09-02-19, 12:28 AM

Hey if I’m wrong and the film is good I’ll admit it when it happens. I just don’t think there’s enough to invest into making me care that much about the finale of this trilogy, which is also the conclusion to the entire saga at this point. I’d love to be proven wrong but I’m highly skeptical that I will be.
Well it’s obvious you didn’t care much about what happened or about the characters in the last couple of movies. If that’s the case, I don’t see how you cared about the prequel trilogy either, but okay.
Old 09-02-19, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it’s obvious you didn’t care much about what happened or about the characters in the last couple of movies. If that’s the case, I don’t see how you cared about the prequel trilogy either, but okay.
I liked The Force Awakens when it came out quite a bit actually. It hasn't held up for me the best but I don't dislike it. My only reason for not liking it as much now as I did when it first came out is knowing how disappointingly it was followed up. Also the new characters in general I don't have a problem with.

As far as the prequels are concerned, I don't find them to be great movies. Never really have and still don't necessarily. I do find the story they were trying to tell interesting but I think the films could have told the story a lot better. I've come to appreciate certain aspects of them more than I used to though.
Old 09-02-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

That reddit post was long. I only read some of it.

It says:
Spoiler:

Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter.
Palpatine built a new superweapon using a massive fleet of star destroyers.

I'd prefer Rey being a Skywalker clone like Wolverine/X-23.

It's reddit so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 09-02-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It was different back then because a 'Trilogy' or 'Saga' wasn't talked about and so you kind of just went with the movies and see where the story was going. Before the ST was announced, they said it would be Episode 7,8,9, just like the PT would be 1,2,3 so there was an expectation that you would have a 3 act play for each one. I remember going to ROTJ in 1983 thinking there would be more movies to come and didn't know if this was the final movie of the story. In fact, they didn't start really calling it the 'Star Wars Trilogy' until they released them all on VHS boxset in the late 80's/early 90's. The first time I saw them as a marathon on cable was in 1990 on either USA or SyFy, as HBO would get the rights to SW, and than a few years later ESB, and than a few years later ROTJ. No doubt that Lucas was making it up on the fly and the storyarc really wasn't developed until ROTJ, but the movie business was just different back then. When they announce these movie sequels today, you clearly know the timeline for a Trilogy, so you have a different expecation regarding the story then in 1977 and 1980 as to whether they will actually make more movies
Old 09-02-19, 09:50 AM

Hilarious that the original trilogy is immune because you could just “see where the story was going,” but now you can’t. How convenient.
Old 09-02-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Hilarious that the original trilogy is immune because you could just “see where the story was going,” but now you can’t. How convenient.
Good lord, can you people on the internet actually have a conversation without taking everything so literally. I wasn't defending the OT, I was just saying it was a different time so nobody looked at movie sequels in that way because it was so new. When I saw Superman in 1978, I had no idea they were shooting Part 2 at the same time and thought it was a standalone movie. In today's age of the internet, I would know that they would be shooting Superman 1 and 2 together, so I would sort of go into the movie with a different expecation knowing that a sequel was planned in the arc.

It's essentially called 'Ignorant is bliss,' and that is how movies were viewed back then. Now we consume everything about these movies beforehand, and sadly it is a detriment to the viewer (because we overanalyze the death before one frame hits the theater. And the studios analyze how the people will react as they are writing and filming the movie.) Back in 1976, I don't think George Lucas even thought about how fans would react to this or that because there was no context yet for the franchise. But by 1999, he clearly had the fanboys in mind and the result is you get Jango Fett as the Clone to appease the Boba Fett fans.

So I wasn't defending the OT, but of course it's the internet and people like you get your panties all wet at every post and throw in your stupid sarcam and emojis.
Old 09-02-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 339 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Good lord, can you people on the internet actually have a conversation without taking everything so literally. I wasn't defending the OT, I was just saying it was a different time so nobody looked at movie sequels in that way because it was so new. When I saw Superman in 1978, I had no idea they were shooting Part 2 at the same time and thought it was a standalone movie. In today's age of the internet, I would know that they would be shooting Superman 1 and 2 together, so I would sort of go into the movie with a different expecation knowing that a sequel was planned in the arc.

It's essentially called 'Ignorant is bliss,' and that is how movies were viewed back then. Now we consume everything about these movies beforehand, and sadly it is a detriment to the viewer (because we overanalyze the death before one frame hits the theater. And the studios analyze how the people will react as they are writing and filming the movie.) Back in 1976, I don't think George Lucas even thought about how fans would react to this or that because there was no context yet for the franchise. But by 1999, he clearly had the fanboys in mind and the result is you get Jango Fett as the Clone to appease the Boba Fett fans.

So I wasn't defending the OT, but of course it's the internet and people like you get your panties all wet at every post and throw in your stupid sarcam and emojis.
Um, I'm pretty sure Brack's comment was in reference to Mike86, not you...

I might be wrong, but it seemed much more directly pointed at what Mike86 has been expressing.
Old 09-02-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank

I might be wrong, but it seemed much more directly pointed at what Mike86 has been expressing.
Why would it still be at me though? I did admit in my post quoting Jay G. that maybe hindsight makes me look at the films differently. He made some fair points which I was trying to acknowledge.

Even though I still don’t entirely agree win what he’s saying because I kind of agree with what mcnabb is saying too and think the Original Trilogy was made in a simpler time. Pretty much all the points Jay said while valid I think could be chalked up to the heroes will win in the end, it’s just how the films got to that point. So to that extent I do kind of think you could see where things might go.

The Vader thing was the biggest question as people didn’t necessarily know that he’d be redeemed. You could have had that go another way, but even there it seems somewhat like there were mostly a few directions to go with that reveal. My point wasn’t literally that you knew what would happen back then, but that anyone with foresight could kind of make predictions that wouldn’t be too far off. Which is something that doesn’t apply to the sequels.
Old 09-02-19, 10:33 AM

Who you calling “you people?” That’s a nonstarter right there.

Where was the sarcasm in my post? It’s clear as day you think that the original trilogy can’t be held up to as much scrutiny because back in the day, there wasn’t a trilogy, but since it created what some people think a trilogy should be, now whenever something isn’t like that in the Star Wars universe, it’s somehow bad. And I don’t understand how any of the over analyzing and internet chatter can help separate the film from the hype. You’d think a message board forum’s members would be able to separate the two, but you say it like in this age we can’t. Yeah, that’s nonsense.
Old 09-02-19, 10:41 AM

My point wasn’t literally that you knew what would happen back then, but that anyone with foresight could kind of make predictions that wouldn’t be too far off. Which is something that doesn’t apply to the sequels.
For most people, that’s not a weakness.
Old 09-02-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who you calling “you people?” That’s a nonstarter right there.

You get mad at mcnabb (presumably) for being a non-starter, but then don’t even quote the post when it’s been a few since his and could have been taken by someone else as directed towards them? Okay.
Old 09-02-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
It's essentially called 'Ignorant is bliss,'
Nitpick: the phrase is "ignorance is bliss." Ignorance is a noun meaning the lack of knowledge; ignorant is an adjective used to describe someone with a lack of knowledge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorance_Is_Bliss

Originally Posted by kefrank
Brack's comment directly quoted "see where the story was going" from mcnabb's post, but I think mcnabb meant something different. mcnabb's full sentence was:

"It was different back then because a 'Trilogy' or 'Saga' wasn't talked about and so you kind of just went with the movies and see where the story was going. "

In mcnabb's statement, I think the "see" is more of a "wait and see where the story was going," as opposed to Mike86, who was talking more about attempting to predict ahead of time where the story went.

I think mcnabb's statement actually supports my argument, that some fans are putting expectations on these films that weren't there for the original trilogy. Some of it may be due to the ST being announced as a planned trilogy, vs the orignal Star Wars, where the first initially stood on its own, and then ESB didn't have more expectations going in than just being a sequel. I do think ROTJ was announced as the "final chapter" at some point prior to its release though, so while people walking out of ESB may not have been thinking about how the story would be wrapped up in one more movie, people walking in to ROTJ likely had that expectation.

There is likely a bit of a shift in culture too, as with the internet we now have this collective hive mind that obsesses over every detail and "mystery" in a film series. TFA introduced a new trilogy, with new details and some deliberately planted mysteries, and almost immediately you had people attempting to predict how the next two episodes would play out and what the answers to the mysteries were. TLJ messed up a lot of those predictions though, which doesn't mean there isn't a way to tie everything up, but that the "clear" path people predicted after seeing TFA (like a "final" confrontation with Snoke being the trilogy capper) isn't possible.
Old 09-02-19, 10:47 AM

You get mad at mcnabb (presumably) for being a non-starter, but then don’t even quote the post when it’s been a few since his and could have been taken by someone else as directed towards them? Okay.
I still quoted, no one else said “you people”. Lighten up Francis.
Old 09-02-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For most people, that’s not a weakness.
I don’t want to know what literally happens, but I’d like an idea where things could be progressing. There’s really not even that with the sequels.
Old 09-02-19, 10:59 AM

I don’t want to know what literally happens, but I’d like an idea where things could be progressing. There’s really not even that with the sequels.
Did the last movie end with both sides nuking each other and then quickly cutting to the end credits? How can you say there’s been no progression?
Old 09-02-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did the last movie end with both sides nuking each other and then quickly cutting to the end credits? How can you say there’s been no progression?
The Resistance and First Order being at odds is the barest of minimum progression in a film that’s part of a franchise called Star Wars (emphasis on Wars)..
Old 09-02-19, 11:24 AM

The Resistance and First Order being at odds is the barest of minimum progression in a film that’s part of a franchise called Star Wars (emphasis on Wars)..
Care to elaborate? The Rebellion and the Empire being at odds was all the OT was about. I guess we’re just glossing over everything else.
Old 09-02-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Care to elaborate? The Rebellion and the Empire being at odds was all the OT was about. I guess we’re just glossing over everything else.
While the war element is there it’s always kind of been more of the backdrop to the larger story, which to me in the Original Trilogy was more the journey of Luke from simple farm boy to Jedi Knight and the eventual redemption of Vader/Anakin (and there’s no need to circle back to whether people thought that or not when we just discussed it).
Old 09-02-19, 11:33 AM

So these films aren’t about a character named Rey?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.