Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 09:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

hmm. if true, I like it.
Old 08-30-19, 10:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

My sources have revealed to me this will be the first full on musical. And no, no Cantina band, which is weird.
Old 08-30-19, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
This is a link to a detailed plot to Episode 9 on reddit. From what I have been piecing together through the rumors in the past year, this seems pretty plausible (I'm sure everything is not 100% true as some things don't make sense as I'm just looking at it from a big picture perspective).

REMEMBER THIS LINK GIVES AWAY HUGE SPOILERS TO EPISODE 9, SO DON'T CLICK IF YOU ARE STAYING SPOILER FREE. I REPEAT, THIS ARTICLE HAS MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 9:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLea...x_the_rise_of/

This is my opinion of these spoilers:
Spoiler:
Honestly this feels like ROTJ 2.0
I read it and... it doesn't sound terrible, but it doesn't sound very good, either. Very middle of the road and mediocre. Like TFA and TLJ before it, it sounds very safe and corporate, continuing in the Disney Star Wars tradition. So it's probably a pretty accurate description of what we'll get come December. If you were satisfied with TFA and/or TLJ, you'll probably like TROS, too.

Old 08-30-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

There were leaks for TLJ and they were wrong. Probably disinformation. Remember before TLJ came out it was leaked that Luke revealsto Rey that she was HIS father?
Old 08-31-19, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Remember before TLJ came out it was leaked that Luke revealsto Rey that she was HIS father?
So Rey was Anakin???
Old 08-31-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
There were leaks for TLJ and they were wrong. Probably disinformation. Remember before TLJ came out it was leaked that Luke revealsto Rey that she was HIS father?
Originally Posted by windom
So Rey was Anakin???

Now that’s a twist we wouldn’t see coming!
Old 08-31-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Now that’s a twist we wouldn’t see coming!
Speak for yourself. I’ve been pushing the “Rey is a reincarnation of Anakin” theory for 2-3 years now!
Old 08-31-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Edit: I didn't read the reddit link. I was just talking about a clone theory. I will put my comment in spoiler tag anyway.
Spoiler:

Logan theory already mentioned?

Luke = Wolverine
Rey = X-23

Knights of Ren used Luke's arm to create Rey Skywalker.

Last edited by Ranger; 08-31-19 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-31-19, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Not gonna click that. It may be time for me to go dark on this stuff. Unless I start hearing that it’s a train wreck then I want to go in clean.
Old 09-01-19, 10:12 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I like the part about Rey struggling with her sexuality and transitioning to a man.
Old 09-01-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

REMEMBER THIS LINK GIVES AWAY HUGE SPOILERS TO EPISODE 9, SO DON'T CLICK IF YOU ARE STAYING SPOILER FREE. I REPEAT, THIS ARTICLE HAS MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 9:

reddit link

Spoiler:
Rey leaves Ahch-to

Gesundheit!
Old 09-01-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I like the part about Rey struggling with her sexuality and transitioning to a man.
Nice a counterpoint to Finn becoming a woman.

It rhymes.
Old 09-01-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I still go back to the idea of bringing back Palpatine (in whatever form) and how it feels like the franchise has run out of ideas for this story. I think it was a smart move from a marketing sense cause it definitely got fans talking when you heard his voice in the 1st teaser. But it feels so ‘been there done that’ just like ROTJ, after you really think about it?
Old 09-01-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I still go back to the idea of bringing back Palpatine (in whatever form) and how it feels like the franchise has run out of ideas for this story. I think it was a smart move from a marketing sense cause it definitely got fans talking when you heard his voice in the 1st teaser. But it feels so ‘been there done that’ just like ROTJ, after you really think about it?
As mentioned, it was already done years go in the comic series Dark Empire. It worked there and it could work here. I've always disliked how they so casually dismissed all the old stories so it's kinda nice they're going back and pulling stuff back in.
Old 09-01-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Yep. But really, they filmed themselves into a corner with this series. At least in terms of this saga alone, they are on film 9 of 9 and after film 8 they don’t have a big bad to fight (I didn’t love Snoke but at least at one point he was being set up as the main villain until RJ decided that he would end that shit halfway through the new trilogy ). If they were to introduce a new villain now, it would ring hollow to the audience. They HAVE to bring back someone who’s been around in the series and the audience can identify as THE big bad. I’m sure if they could bring back Vader they would.

I’m looking forward to a new set of Star Wars films if for no other reason than to be able to break away from Skywalkers and Friends once and for all.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 09-01-19 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-01-19, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a link to a detailed plot to Episode 9 on reddit. From what I have been piecing together through the rumors in the past year, this seems pretty plausible (I'm sure everything is not 100% true as some things don't make sense as I'm just looking at it from a big picture perspective).

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLea...x_the_rise_of/

This is my opinion of these spoilers:
Spoiler:
Honestly this feels like ROTJ 2.0
I guess the redditor never heard of the
Spoiler:
eclipse star destroyer
(not really a spoiler I guess, just the name of a starship ...). I wonder if they look the same
Old 09-01-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Yep. But really, they filmed themselves into a corner with this series. At least in terms of this saga alone, they are on film 9 of 9 and after film 8 they don’t have a big bad to fight (I didn’t love Snoke but at least at one point he was being set up as the main villain until RJ decided that he would end that shit halfway through the new trilogy ). If they were to introduce a new villain now, it would ring hollow to the audience. They HAVE to bring back someone who’s been around in the series and the audience can identify as THE big bad. I’m sure if they could bring back Vader they would.
You make good points in terms of writing themselves in a corner after killing Snoke, as Palpatine is the best alternative. I’ve just slowly soured on the ST because of the big picture stuff as it is looking more and more like the OT part 2 (It is more of a reboot to me than a continuation of the OT). I just look at Episode 9 and I just can’t get super hyped about the return of Palpatine, another Skywalker probably getting redeemed, Kylo vs Rey, and the Resistance beating the First Order. We saw this happen in ROTJ.

its just frustrating regarding the ways they decided to take the ST as it really goes back to Episode 7. Unless they intentionally wanted to mimic the OT in fear of another PT backlash.
Old 09-01-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think the frustrating thing about the Sequel Trilogy is that there’s really no clear cut through line for the films. The Prequel Trilogy was the fall of the Jedi Order and Anakin’s descent to the Dark Side as well as the rise of Palpatine and the Sith. Original Trilogy is the return of the Jedi and Luke’s journey to redeem his father. The Sequel Trilogy though it’s like what is there? Pretty much only the most surface level things. Rey vs. Kylo, but then not sometimes. First Order vs. Resistance. There’s just no strong arc to any of it really.
Old 09-01-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Original Trilogy is the return of the Jedi and Luke’s journey to redeem his father.
You're looking at it that way in hindsight with a completed trilogy though. The original trilogy didn't have a through-line of "Luke's journey to redeem his father" until the third film. Perhaps the third film in this trilogy will bring together a through-line as well.

Old 09-01-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the frustrating thing about the Sequel Trilogy is that there’s really no clear cut through line for the films. The Prequel Trilogy was the fall of the Jedi Order and Anakin’s descent to the Dark Side as well as the rise of Palpatine and the Sith. Original Trilogy is the return of the Jedi and Luke’s journey to redeem his father. The Sequel Trilogy though it’s like what is there? Pretty much only the most surface level things. Rey vs. Kylo, but then not sometimes. First Order vs. Resistance. There’s just no strong arc to any of it really.
That's my primary beef with the sequel trilogy as well.

When it comews to Jurassic Park/World, I've said that all they really need to do to make these movies work is have dinosaurs chasing and eating people.

But Disney and Lucasfilm are treating Star Wars the same way. They aren't actually telling stories, they're just giving us a new cast and putting lightsabres in their hands and giving them an Empire to fight. And I think that for the mainstream audience (and critics), that's enough to hold their interest for a couple of hours. Star Wars VII, VIII, and IX might as well be Jurassic World 7, 8, and 9 considering the minimal amount of thought and effort they're putting into them. Here's the same stuff you liked thirty years ago. Now go buy they over-priced low quality toys and Jakku bedsheets.

But the more hardcore audience, like myself (and, likely you, too, Mike) are wanting something with a goddamned epic sweep like Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire, or even The Wizarding World. And, despite having set up a "story group," it doesn't feel like Lucasfilm is really putting a lot of effort or thought into this world.

So, yeah, here's this orphan girl living on a desert planet who is strong with the force and inherits the Skywalker family lightsabre and even looks like she could be related to Carrie Fisher, Natalie Portman, and Pernilla August, who sets out on an adventure. But, she's not actually a Skywalker and that means anyone can be special in that corny Disney way, so it's really, really original.

And here's a Mandalorian bounty hunter in Mandalorian armor with a fork-nosed gun, who hangs out with another bounty hunter who looks exactly like IG-88 but isn't, and freezes motherfuckers in carbonite. But he's not Boba Fett, so it's like totally something brand new.

As such, I fully expect The Rise of Skywalker to be safe and familiar, and go with a whimper instead of a bang.

But there are going to be some people who respond positively to getting the fed the same familiar stuff with the serial numbers filed off. And there are going to be some who see right through the sham. But will it be enough to sustain the franchise long-term? Or are they going to drive into the ground like Halloween, Aliens, or Terminator?
Old 09-01-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
You're looking at it that way in hindsight with a completed trilogy though. The original trilogy didn't have a through-line of "Luke's journey to redeem his father" until the third film. Perhaps the third film in this trilogy will bring together a through-line as well.
While I can somewhat agree I think even if you take out the benefit of hindsight by the second film I would say there was a better idea of where the story could go. Also I would say it’s somewhat more excusable in the case of the Original Trilogy given that there wasn’t a lore or anything tied to the films. They were progressing from one film to the next.

The Prequel Trilogy had the benefit of being able to work with the Original Trilogy and basically had the story in place. So that was definitely easier and it’s debatable how good the films were, but at least they told a story that formed a trilogy.
Old 09-01-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And, speaking of hindsight, in the 1970s and early 1980s when the OT was made, it was somewhat rare for films to receive sequels, and unheard of for any kind of pre-planned series of feature films. Star Wars pioneered that concept.

I think Godfather was the first movie to get a sequel that actually continued and expanded on the original concept. Prior to that, a sequel meant just making another Dracula, Frankenstein, or James Bond movie. Even Planet of the Apes was never meant to tell some kind of greater story; they were just cranking out sequels for the sake of making them. (And, in fact, they destroyed the Earth in the second one because Chuck Heston didn't want to make any more!)
Old 09-01-19, 09:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

While I can somewhat agree I think even if you take out the benefit of hindsight by the second film I would say there was a better idea of where the story could go.

Except a lot of people were debating whether or not Vader was lying to Luke. That was a real thing at the time.
Old 09-01-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack

Except a lot of people were debating whether or not Vader was lying to Luke. That was a real thing at the time.
I mean sure, but either way with that reveal there were a lot of directions that could have been taken that would have made sense is my point. You could have had it be a lie to try and turn Luke to the Dark Side. At the same time it could have (and obviously was) been true and either Luke defeats Vader and the Empire or he helps persuade his father to be the good man he once was. Any of those answers would have made sense, they just would have varying degrees of how satisfying they’d be.

I really can’t say the same for Episode IX. There are directions it can go sure, but nothing that really jumps out as something that’s been built up by the prior two films that will be resolved. The questions presented that seemed like they were threading the films together were quickly dismissed, and I know people will jump on me that I didn’t get the answers I wanted, but those were what seemed logical to follow through with.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-01-19 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 10:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

So there’s nowhere the new film can go that doesn’t touch on the previous two films? I’m not sure that’s going to be case. TLJ subverted some expectations, but there’s a lot of issues and plot devices from the last two films that appear to still be in play. I mean there’s the Knights of Ren supposedly, the whole balanced Force thing, Rey, Kylo, a rebellion that needs building, lots of things that I’m sure will be addressed. Just because it’s not blatantly obvious what’s going to happen like we had set up with the prequel trilogy does mean TLJ left us with nothing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.