Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Wasn't TFA at one time going to open on a shot of Luke's hand floating in space? If that's the case, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it turn up as a plot device in one way or another, especially with JJ back at it.
Old 08-28-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Wasn't TFA at one time going to open on a shot of Luke's hand floating in space? If that's the case, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it turn up as a plot device in one way or another, especially with JJ back at it.
That’s what I heard too - and it would have been so, so stupid.
Old 08-28-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
The Solo movie is the best Disney SW movie IMO.
It felt like a SW movie should.
Really, I thought it felt like Robot Chicken without the jokes.

The only thing outside the OT that reaches that standard is Rogue One, IMO.
Old 08-28-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
When Maz Kanata responded to Rey's question of how she acquired Luke's lightsaber, and said something like that's a story for another time...that was enough explanation for me. I imagined a clean up crew from Cloud City discovered it, pocketed it, traded it for something at some point, and it passed from one hand to another over the next 20 years. Kind of like a non-evil Lemarchand's Box. I don't like the PT concept of having every minor thing from the OT have some sort of big significance in later films. I didn't need to see young Greedo, or that random dude that got eaten by a Dune worm be the originator of the Empire's entire army.
And if the evil Rey we saw is a clone, why would she be a clone of the Emperor or Luke? If she looks completely different from them, wouldn't that be considered a biologically engineered life form, as opposed to a genetic clone?
Old 08-28-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I don't like the PT concept of having every minor thing from the OT have some sort of big significance in later films. I didn't need to see young Greedo, or that random dude that got eaten by a Dune worm be the originator of the Empire's entire army.
1000 percent agree.

And if the evil Rey we saw is a clone, why would she be a clone of the Emperor or Luke? If she looks completely different from them, wouldn't that be considered a biologically engineered life form, as opposed to a genetic clone?
Because apparently the only way anything can exist in the Star Wars world anymore is if it has some convoluted sci-fi explanation.

See also: Midichlorians - the answer no one asked for.
Old 08-28-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

1000 percent agree.

Because apparently the only way anything can exist in the Star Wars world anymore is if it has some convoluted sci-fi explanation.

See also: Midichlorians - the answer no one asked for.

The worst of the forced answers in this new trilogy is the stupid gold dice. Honest Trailers made fun of it on their take on Solo but it's ridiculous how absolutely NOBODY noticed the dice but then now Disney wants to make it significant. And then Luke gives it to Leia to remind her of Han's first girlfriend.

Last edited by tanman; 08-28-19 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Really, I thought it felt like Robot Chicken without the jokes.

The only thing outside the OT that reaches that standard is Rogue One, IMO.
In the OT, Han was the fun-loving rogue smuggler...always there with a quip and a kiss for the ladies.
The Solo movie captured his spirit perfectly IMO.
Old 08-28-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Back when Zahn's books were released, this was a pretty interesting concept when you consider that the majority of fans where hungry for anything Star Wars (the prequel stuff was announced within a few years, SW POTF figures hit the shelves, etc). So when we were reading The Last Command, the whole thing was completely badass, at least from a story perspective (Hell... I was still in my teens). Other than Dark Empire, nothing in the "Clone" area had really been done.
When The Thrawn Trilogy (and Dark Empire, for that matter) came out, nobody really knew what The Clone Wars were about, so they were really winging the whole clone thing.

The two most popular theories at the time were that the clones from the Clone Wars were either cloned Jedi Knights, or armies of cloned troopers (and that the Stormtroopers from the OT were clones as well). The Thrawn Trilogy used both concepts (with Joruus C'Baoth and Luuke Skywalker, and the Dark Force).

While the EU continuation of the OT quicky became a bloated, overwrought mess, at its core, I think it was a better follow up than Disney's Sequel Trilogy.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-29-19 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Back when Zahn's books were released, this was a pretty interesting concept when you consider that the majority of fans where hungry for anything Star Wars (the prequel stuff was announced within a few years, SW POTF figures hit the shelves, etc). So when we were reading The Last Command, the whole thing was completely badass, at least from a story perspective (Hell... I was still in my teens). Other than Dark Empire, nothing in the "Clone" area had really been done.

Now... years later, after all the bullshit, clones, prequels, sequels, animated series, Di$ney... yeah.... it does sound pretty stupid.
The thing is that it at least sounds in line with what the previous films have established is a thing in this universe. When staging a comeback for Palpatine what better way to explain it? He’s behind bringing Rey to exist as a Clone in hopes that she’d be weak enough to manipulate where she would fall to the Dark Side and he could take her form or possibly Kylo’s and join one or the the other as Sith master and apprentice.

I mean in all honesty it’s not the worst scenario and in my mind plays out just as well as anything else a person could come up with. I also think the important thing is that this would find a way to link everything together fully. I can see where written out it may not sound like the best idea, but at the same point Palpatine was also behind bringing Anakin to exist. Regardless of how well those films played out the plot of using a clone that he’s created with DNA from the same Skywalker bloodline, which he knows to be powerful with the Force to me gels together for a plot that I could see him devising.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-29-19 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
In the OT, Han was the fun-loving rogue smuggler...always there with a quip and a kiss for the ladies.
The Solo movie captured his spirit perfectly IMO.
It was a fun film, but also something I could live with it.
I imagined a pre-ANH Han Solo to have been more like the guy killing Greedo like it's nothing and calmly walking away who gradually softens up by the time Luke and Obi-Wan meet with him. In Solo: A Star Wars Story he's pretty much already the guy we see coming back to save Luke at end of a ANH.
Old 08-29-19, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Hey, remember how the Han Solo movie was set up for a direct sequel?
We're never getting that sequel, are we?
More damning; no one really cares that we aren't.
I liked Solo... moreso than Eps 8 & 9
Old 08-29-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I liked Solo... moreso than Eps 8 & 9
You've seen Episode 9 already, or simply decided in advance that you won't like it?

Old 08-29-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think to date Solo is the most underrated Star Wars film.
Old 08-29-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I honestly don't remember a goddamned thing about Solo, and that's it's main problem, that's it's so forgettable.

I was just guessing that it was left open for a sequel.
Old 08-29-19, 10:40 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
The worst of the forced answers in this new trilogy is the stupid gold dice. Honest Trailers made fun of it on their take on Solo but it's ridiculous how absolutely NOBODY noticed the dice but then now Disney wants to make it significant. And then Luke gives it to Leia to remind her of Han's first girlfriend.
I was always aware of the dice. Any decent Star Wars trivia book or website always pointed them out. They’re notable for being in the first shot of the cockpit and then never appearing again. Many believe them to be a reference to American Graffiti.
Old 08-29-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly don't remember a goddamned thing about Solo, and that's it's main problem, that's it's so forgettable.

I can see that but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad. I think a lot of people didn’t really give it a fair chance and went in expecting to hate it for one reason or another.
Old 08-29-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I think Solo is the most lame, pointless, by the numbers Star Wars film.

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see the Lord and Miller version. Those guys have yet to make a bad film IMO.
Old 08-29-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I imagined a pre-ANH Han Solo to have been more like the guy killing Greedo like it's nothing and calmly walking away who gradually softens up by the time Luke and Obi-Wan meet with him. In Solo: A Star Wars Story he's pretty much already the guy we see coming back to save Luke at end of a ANH.
I hadn't thought of it that way...good observation.
Old 08-29-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

In ANH we see Han blast Greedo but he's a clear and present danger. With Luke and Obi Wan, he tolerates their nonsense because he knows they're not out to get him. He even comes back at the end of the movie to help out. I don't think the characterization in "Solo" was too far off. He's got a rough side, but he was never really a "bad" guy.
Though I do admit the movie could have used a little more of the original Lord and Miller version. Ron Howard isn't a bad director, but it didn't feel really special.

Now Rogue One is the best of the new four and I will die on that hill. If TROS can recapture some of that OT mojo that R1 has, then we'll be in for a fun ride at the very least.

I'm betting on Dark Rey simply being a vision. Even in those few seconds, it feels so much like Luke's cave vision on Dagobah.
Old 08-29-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts

I remember Lando's robot wanted to bang him.

And the robot rebellion on the highly disappointing Kessel was cute.

I like robots.
Old 08-29-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I really enjoyed Solo as it's just a fun/adventure movie that harkens back to the OT movies (not as good, so don't mistake my opinion saying it's as great). I do understand that Solo is not for everyone as you have to buy Alden as Han, and I know that will be jarring for some. And the movie doesn't touch anything regarding the Force as it's more about the seedy underworld, and that appeals to me. For anyone who says 'we didn't need a Solo movie,' you could say that about any SW movie after 1977 or 1983,

As for Solo's character during the movie, this was Pre-Cynical Han we see in ANH who hasn't been through the ringer yet. The best example of his character and where he is at that stage is where he meets Enfis Nest face to face and bluffs her and than the falcon flies away (he had to eat crow and take a step back and let Woody Harlson handle the situation). In short, he wasn't Primetime Han yet. The reason the character doesn't get the depth that many expected is because the sequels never happened and you don't see that transformation to cynical Han (the plot point of Qira leaving him probably would be a main theme in Solo 2). Solo is essentially a standalone movie (much like The Original SW in 1977) that has an ending, but is set up for sequels if needed. I honestly don't want a sequel as I enjoy it as a standalone and leave it at that. In fact, I'm glad it bombed because we will never see a sequel that could taint the Original Solo, much like the Sequels and Prequels have tainted this franchise for many years now.

As for Rogue One, that's just a solid SW movie from start to finish as it has the most consistent tone since ESB. I don't love R1 because the characters aren't that great, but it's still a solid SW movie.

Last edited by mcnabb; 08-29-19 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 06:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Anthony Ingruber would've saved Solo.
Old 08-29-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I don’t get the hate for Alden. Actors don’t have to be doppelgängers to portray the same character, they just need to be pretty similar and to be able to portray a similar mental space and I think Alden pulled that off.
Old 08-29-19, 07:55 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I don’t get the hate for Alden. Actors don’t have to be doppelgängers to portray the same character, they just need to be pretty similar and to be able to portray a similar mental space and I think Alden pulled that off.
I don't hate Alden.

But never once did I believe that was Han Solo, and it took me out of the movie. I'm not sure anybody couldn't done it justice, by Ingruber is a decent actor... looks more like a young Ford, and could sound like him too. It probably wouldn't have worked either, but IMO it would have helped.
Old 08-29-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I have no hate for Alden, he was fine in the role. The movie itself however, felt boring and uninspired. It took no risks at all. Maybe Lord and Miller's version wouldn't have worked, maybe it was too radical a change, but I still would have liked to have seen it. One thing I can pretty much guarantee is that it would not have been boring.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.