Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I hate the trailer even more. It just screams "fan service" to me, .
Fan Service or OT moments are the only thing that moves the radar on this franchise anymore, so I can't blame Disney in that respect. What are the most memorable moments of this Trailer? Chewy and Lando, Leia hugging Rey, Palpatine cackling. Nobody is losing their shit when they show Poe or Finn. It is what it is with this franchise as anything new they try usually doesn't resonate with the fans, so they goto the well with the OT characters. Just look at Rogue One and all people talk about is the Darth Vader scene at the end of the movie. I'm not saying it's right and not defending it, but this franchise lives off of nostalgia and I think Disney got the hint after Episode 8.
Old 04-15-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Kathleen Kennedy mentioned Rian and discussions about his new trilogy yesterday. If it was totally off the table, you wouldn't have think that she would have brought it up.
No way Rian gets another bite of the Star Wars apple. Bob Iger announced the day before that Star Wars films are going on hiatus. I'm betting they wait out the clock on Kennedy's contract, then bring in a new head of Lucasfilm, and start movies again. By this time they can say RIan is out due to scheduling conflicts.
Old 04-15-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
No way Rian gets another bite of the Star Wars apple. Bob Iger announced the day before that Star Wars films are going on hiatus. I'm betting they wait out the clock on Kennedy's contract, then bring in a new head of Lucasfilm, and start movies again. By this time they can say RIan is out due to scheduling conflicts.
I hope you're right. I was thinking the same thing when I read this news... how can you allow him to direct anything SW at this point?
Old 04-15-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I hope you're right. I was thinking the same thing when I read this news... how can you allow him to direct anything SW at this point?
Because plenty of people think TLJ was good?
Old 04-15-19, 10:41 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 04-15-19, 10:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Because plenty of people think TLJ was good?
#fakenews
Old 04-15-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm sorry guys, but the whole return of The Emperor in that trailer made me roll my eyes (it was a pretty good trailer up to that point). And then to see the reaction of the fans at the SW Celebration (and from YouTube reactions) to the Palpatine's cackle has sort of made me embarrassed to be a SW fan these days. The Return of the Emperor really shows that they are literally winging this thing and I don't know how this Trilogy is going to fit together as one narrative (Kylo wears his helmet in TFA, gets rid of it in TLJ, and then repairs it in Episode 9?). It's amazing that Lucas essentially did the same thing with the OT but he was able to give us a good Trilogy with a good arc (with a few black holes like Luke/Leia as siblings), but the return of The Emperor might be a shark jumping moment for me. I guess I'm in the minority as the fanbase looks to be all in on Palpatine in Episode 9?
Old 04-15-19, 12:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

do we know for certain Kylo is the one repairing his helmet?

and I don't expect them to find the emperor sitting in the cracked eggshell of the Death Star twirling his mustache dastardly...

JJ should've just done the entire trilogy. ugggghhh...
Old 04-15-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I thought it might be possible that the Emperor's laugh in the trailer was like Vader's breathing in previous trailers...symbolism and not an actual plot point. Now I guess they're just laying it out that he's actually in the film?
Old 04-15-19, 12:12 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

It would really be no different if they announced in advance Yoda was in TLJ before it came out.

Luke is dead too and he narrates the trailer. People are getting way too worked up over something that they haven't seen yet.
Old 04-15-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I thought it might be possible that the Emperor's laugh in the trailer was like Vader's breathing in previous trailers...symbolism and not an actual plot point. Now I guess they're just laying it out that he's actually in the film?
Seems that's the case. I have to say hearing Palp's evil laugh made the trailer a lot more interesting!

Old 04-15-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I guess I'm in the minority as the fanbase looks to be all in on Palpatine in Episode 9?
I'm reserving judgement, but I could see the argument that this is more "memberberries" like in TFA. "Ohh, member Palpatine?"

It also could be a bit like the Austin Power sequels, where a lot of it is recycled bits with slight variations. There's a spark of joy in seeing something you liked with a slight twist on the first watch, but on subsequent viewings you're like "why don't I just watch the original?"
Old 04-15-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no real interest in Palpatine - Darth Vader was always my Star Wars Big Bad. When I was a kid the Emperor was just an old dude that popped up in ROTJ (I know he was seen previously). And the Prequels tried to make him a big deal but I never cared - and the lightning-makes-him-look-old was one of the dumbest Star Wars things ever.

Honestly, I'd get way more excited if Vader was involved in some way. Just like how awesome it was to see him in a modern movie in Rogue One. Palpatine is like "great, either we get stupid young Palpatine from the prequels or the old guy who shoots lightning from the OT" - neither of which get me real excited.
Old 04-15-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm sure we're only going to get the Emperor in a way that is either flashback or energy / holocron in the fallen Death Star. No way he's walking the halls waiting for the rebels to show up. I'm also fine with this last movie going the member berry route. WGAF at this point... it's the old characters that give me the thrills anyways. Outside of Rey, I don't find any of the new heroes to be very likable or memorable --- maybe Poe.

I guess I'm looking forward to the KOTOR series that completely deviates from the OT. That said, set thousands of years apart, they'd have to go with ships, tech, etc that is eons less evolved than what we've seen so far... and at that point, will it still feel like the SW universe?
Old 04-15-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

its kinda true when you see the third movie in the franchise and is the cameos of the old cast that get you more exited then you know they didn't do that great of a job in establishing the new cast

And a lot of people seem to gravitate towards Rogue One, but I didn't even give a shit about any those people either
Old 04-15-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But just think of they had introduced Han, Leia and Luke when there were already beloved characters in the series with 40 years of backstory and nostalgia. Nothing could compete with that.
Old 04-15-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The Return of the Emperor really shows that they are literally winging this thing and I don't know how this Trilogy is going to fit together as one narrative (Kylo wears his helmet in TFA, gets rid of it in TLJ, and then repairs it in Episode 9?).
I think so too. Snoke seemed to be Emperor-lite, just like we got Han-lite with Poe, Vader-lite with Ren, and Leia-lite with Finn.
Why make Snoke so similar to the Emperor if you’re just going to bring back the real thing? oh maybe that was the plan, to fool us? Hmm.

It's amazing that Lucas essentially did the same thing with the OT but he was able to give us a good Trilogy with a good arc (with a few black holes like Luke/Leia as siblings), but the return of The Emperor might be a shark jumping moment for me. I guess I'm in the minority as the fanbase looks to be all in on Palpatine in Episode 9?
totally disagree. Luke and Leia being siblings was jump the shark. It ruined the love triangle.

Honestly, I'd get way more excited if Vader was involved in some way. Just like how awesome it was to see him in a modern movie in Rogue One. Palpatine is like "great, either we get stupid young Palpatine from the prequels or the old guy who shoots lightning from the OT" - neither of which get me real excited.
Palpatine/Emperor has always been stupid. But they can’t bring back Vader because we already got a Jr version of him as a main character, plus we still got the eviler Vaders in the form of the Jedi Killers. That’s already a lot of evil dudes in all black and masks.

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm sure we're only going to get the Emperor in a way that is either flashback or energy / holocron in the fallen Death Star.
pretty sure
Spoiler:
The Emperors evil Sith spirit was trapped in the wreckage of the Death Star and he was the one influencing Kylo in order to free him or enter back into this plane if existence.

But just think of they had introduced Han, Leia and Luke when there were already beloved characters in the series with 40 years of backstory and nostalgia. Nothing could compete with that.
i would have liked that too, but it might have come across like Golden Girls or Grumpy Old Men.
Rey and Kylo are good. I couldn’t care less about Finn. Poe is okay but not great. Benicio’s character was better than those two. Ford, Hamill and Fisher had great chemistry and are great individual characters.

Last edited by brayzie; 04-15-19 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-15-19, 07:08 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It would really be no different if they announced in advance Yoda was in TLJ before it came out.

Luke is dead too and he narrates the trailer. People are getting way too worked up over something that they haven't seen yet.
They were worked up over this film well over a year ago with the never ending TLJ “Rian Johnson raped my childhood” thread. It’s not going to end.
Old 04-15-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Nothing more pathetic than complaining about people discussing a film and complaining about what they didn't like in a thread on a message board dedicated to that film. If they were on the floor of the UN complaining about what a piece of shit The Last Jedi is that would be different.
Old 04-15-19, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
The amazing thing to me is that they did not take a year or two after they acquired Star Wars and really plan a complete Arc for the last 3 movies instead of just sort of winging it. Seems like there is a huge amount of stories they could have come up with instead of what they did. And TLJ was just a complete failure at every level.
Old 04-15-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
i think it’s safe to assume that Palpatine will be in the movie, since Isn McDiarmid walked out onto the stage to tell them to play the trailer again at the IX panel at Celebration.
Old 04-15-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been saying this for years, but I still think Darth Plagueis has something to do with this trilogy. I'm not giving up on that theory until after I see TRoS!
Old 04-15-19, 08:32 PM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Yeah, but will Darth Plagueis be Jar Jar Binks?
Old 04-15-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Yeah, but will Darth Plagueis be Jar Jar Binks?
Use spoiler tags!!!
Old 04-15-19, 09:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Nothing more pathetic than complaining about people discussing a film and complaining about what they didn't like in a thread on a message board dedicated to that film. If they were on the floor of the UN complaining about what a piece of shit The Last Jedi is that would be different.
Ha, that’s rich, coming from the president of the Christopher Nolan Hate Club.

Pointing out the fact, a very obvious fact, that the thread doesn’t end, it’s just circular arguments of the same shit for well over a year, isn’t pathetic. Don’t you get tired of posting the same shit, over and over and over again? It’s the same tired arguments. Maybe if there was anything NEW, I wouldn’t even mention it. But you’d rather be coy about it and play dumb. Whatever.

Last edited by Brack; 04-17-19 at 02:23 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.