Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Looking forward to this.

One of the few films (or Series') that I will deal with the crowds for.
Old 04-13-19, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I thought that was just fake news propagated by TLJ fans and journalists paid off by Disney. I posted something similar awhile back and I think it was Hokeyboy or someone else that responded back that, no, ESB wasn't divisive. I'll trust the people that were there at the time over those that just want clicks.

Yeah, it was discussed earlier here.

Mashable and MovieWeb are paid off by Disney?

I wouldn’t classify direct quotes from publications of the era as “fake news”. Even though the cultural landscape looked differently than it does now, it’s proof that skeptics were quite real around the release of Empire and some sounded quite similar to critics of TLJ.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 04-13-19, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

Mashable and MovieWeb are paid off by Disney?

Yes.

I wouldn’t classify direct quotes from publications of the era as “fake news”.
Based on the headline of the first article, "Last Jedi' haters are nothing new. Plenty of fans hated 'Empire Strikes Back' too."
And the direct quotes from that era they cite are from...The New York Times, and The Washington Post.
Oh, and two random twitter users from 2017.
Yes, "plenty of fans" indeed.

Second article is titled "Star Wars Fans Hated Empire Strikes Back When It Was First Released, Too"
The first relic of hate:

Is Luke related to Vader? Most think so now that Vader came right out and said it. Well, I say, do you believe everything you hear? Vader may have lied just to enlist Luke to his side. Vader would then dispose of Luke once he got what he wanted.

Stretch Armstrong reaching with this ESB-hate evidence.

Even though the cultural landscape looked differently than it does now, it’s proof that skeptics were quite real around the release of Empire and some sounded quite similar to critics of TLJ.
Every film has it's critics.
Implying that The Empire Strikes Back was as heavily criticized by fans as The Last Jedi seems disingenuous and just an attempt at clickbait. The last article seemed more objective.
Old 04-13-19, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Even if The Empire Strikes Back was viewed as divisive I still find that comparison to be a lot different. Comparing what was at the time only the second Star Wars film made versus a film that had five other saga films, an anthology film, tv series', books/comics, and video games before it that built up the lore of the franchise and how people feel about it and it's characters is quite a bit different. Not saying fandom didn't exist back then and I realize Star Wars was a big phenomenon during that period, but I find it hard to believe the investment in the franchise in 1980 was as high for as many people.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 04-13-19, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The more I watch it the more I am pleased with this Teaser as I was really on the fence about this movie after TLJ. This teaser was really the 'The Past Strikes Back' or 'Return of the Past' as I believe JJ will craft a movie that doesn't openly shit on TLJ, but will connect more with the narrative of TFA for many fans. It will be similar to how Stallone made Rocky 6 (Rocky Balboa), where he re-crafted the narrative after many disliked Rocky 5. I believe this teaser was solely to get back those fans that were unhappy with TLJ and confirms my suspicion that it wasn't a 'small loud minority' like many in the media and on the internet have been saying. If it were true, than there is no way they would have introduced these elements and continued Rian Johnson's narrative:

-The teaser starts off with Rey and the re-assembled Skywalker Lightsaber that was broken in TLJ (let the past die?)
-Kylo Ren is showing re-assembling his mask (let the past die?)
-Luke is narrating it but this time he is hopeful for Rey tp pass the torch (let the past die?)
-Lando/Chewy are flying the falcon as it feels right compared to Chewy flying Rey around doing nothing in TLJ (let the past die?)
-The remains of the Death Star are shown possibly hinting that it plays a part in the Macguffin (let the past die?)
-Having the name Skywalker in the title (let the past die?)
Old 04-13-19, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

The main evidence seems to be some negative letters to the editor from old issues of Starlog. That’s hardly conclusive. Presumably, Starlog was trying to present balance and printed both positive and negative views of the film. As did most magazine and newsaper editors at the time. If they received fifty positive letters for every negative one, they’re still going to present both sides evenly in the two pages.

I was really young when ESB came out, but I don’t remember anyone hating it. It was the first new Star Wars movie in three years and everyone was mesmerized by it. The Imperial Walkers, Yoda, the bounty hunters, Cloud City, frozen Han, “No, I am your father.” Everyone was blown away and completely jazzed to see the next one.

John Byrne hated it, so there’s that, I guess.
Old 04-13-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I didn't completely hate "The Last Jedi" so watching the teaser, I'm optimistic that the trilogy will end well.

I'm not liking the use of "Skywalker" as a possible replacement for the word Jedi and such.
Old 04-13-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if it ends up being that Jedi stop calling themselves as such and instead start calling themselves Skywalkers that’ll be corny.
Old 04-13-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I thought that was just fake news propagated by TLJ fans and journalists paid off by Disney. I posted something similar awhile back and I think it was Hokeyboy or someone else that responded back that, no, ESB wasn't divisive. I'll trust the people that were there at the time over those that just want clicks.

Yeah, it was discussed earlier here.
My point was not whether it was actually considered divisive at the time or not. My point was that in this current age of the internet, negative reactions get amplified and gain oversized, groupthink momentum. Empire had plenty of qualities that would have been a source of outrage for a minority of fans and my contention is that kind of reaction would have been perpetuated and blown up by the internet, making it far more divisive than it actually was because the internet (as it is today) didn't exist.

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
It’s interesting to think about where Star Wars as a franchise would be had a legion of Internet scrutinizers been there to immediately dissect the severe plot issues of the original film, let alone the darker tone and bizarre developments of the second one.
Yes, exactly.
Old 04-13-19, 09:56 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I would bust a nut if we get an old Luke, young Anakin (w/Hayden Christensen), young Obi Wan (w/Ewan Macgregor) and Yoda vs Palpatine force ghost battle. Would never happen, and it wouldn't necessarily make sense that Obi Wan would be a young force ghost, but at this point fuck it...
Old 04-13-19, 10:43 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I predict that guy is wrong, but maybe “Skywalkers” will be part of the title.

Maybe Return of the Skywalkers or something like that.

Old 04-13-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Somebody mentioned Rey’s outfit being the same, that’s likely to match the Leia footage they’re using from TFA.

And as as for the dislike for TLJ being real, I haven’t mentioned this before but some years ago I made a friend on a forum and later on Facebook who found themselves working their way up the ladder to the point that they are now on a first name basis with JJ and people at Bad Robot and sometimes they share behind the scenes stuff. Not actual spoilers but things like there really is a dislike of TLJ by people at BR and LFL and JJ was convinced to come back to correct the course. My friend even admitted that the reason they waited so long to reveal the title was to make people focus on that and stop fighting about TLJ. They monitor social media for things like this and are aware how the franchise is being viewed right now.

I can’t give any proof of this without revealing my source but y’all know me and know I don’t make up stuff like this.
Old 04-13-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

I’m wondering if they’ll use Luke as a Jesus figure and “Rise of Skywalker” means he’ll come back to life and return from Force Ghost Land stronger than ever. It’ll be a way to retcon Luke’s death at the end of TLJ.

Of course, I would also suspect a double meaning title and Rey will end up being a skywalker as well.
Old 04-13-19, 11:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Disappointed it’s not Revenge of the Skywalkers.
Old 04-13-19, 11:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Somebody mentioned Rey’s outfit being the same, that’s likely to match the Leia footage they’re using from TFA.

And as as for the dislike for TLJ being real, I haven’t mentioned this before but some years ago I made a friend on a forum and later on Facebook who found themselves working their way up the ladder to the point that they are now on a first name basis with JJ and people at Bad Robot and sometimes they share behind the scenes stuff. Not actual spoilers but things like there really is a dislike of TLJ by people at BR and LFL and JJ was convinced to come back to correct the course. My friend even admitted that the reason they waited so long to reveal the title was to make people focus on that and stop fighting about TLJ. They monitor social media for things like this and are aware how the franchise is being viewed right now.

I can’t give any proof of this without revealing my source but y’all know me and know I don’t make up stuff like this.
If this is true, then I would imagine Rian Johnson's trilogy is DOA?
Old 04-13-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m wondering if they’ll use Luke as a Jesus figure and “Rise of Skywalker” means he’ll come back to life and return from Force Ghost Land stronger than ever. It’ll be a way to retcon Luke’s death at the end of TLJ.

Of course, I would also suspect a double meaning title and Rey will end up being a skywalker as well.
It reads to me like they're using the name as an honorary title instead of an actual surname. Legend building and what have you.
Old 04-13-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Regardless. Thematically the setup is looking like DS1. We'll see.

I think you're off. My guess is that the medal is completely unrelated and is Leia finding it and reminiscing about Han. It would make sense that footage of that nature may exist. I'm in the camp that is pretty sure the wreckage is the 2nd Death Star. Palpatine wasn't on the 1st so it makes no sense he'd be in it now (if in fact the two are actually tied). My take is that Rey (created by Palpatine the same way Anakin was) senses a dark presence and that leads them all to the wreckage of the Death Star, where they find Palpatine, biding his time until the one whose body can contain his power and act as a vessel came to be.
Old 04-13-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
My point was not whether it was actually considered divisive at the time or not. My point was that in this current age of the internet, negative reactions get amplified and gain oversized, groupthink momentum. Empire had plenty of qualities that would have been a source of outrage for a minority of fans and my contention is that kind of reaction would have been perpetuated and blown up by the internet, making it far more divisive than it actually was because the internet (as it is today) didn't exist.
I think Mike86 made the good point that it's still not that comparable, as Star Wars was still a new thing in 1980, and fandom hadn't had enough time to decide what Star Wars is, and what it isn't.

But you make a good point that outrage gets magnified in the age of the internet. I can see a significant portion of long-time fans being pissed at what happened in TLJ. But a 44% audience score at Rotten Tomatoes? C'mon. It was an enjoyable movie. It definitely didn't meet my expectations of what a Star Wars film should be in 2017 but it was fun and probably my 3rd favorite Star Wars film.
And while you have legit YouTubers making critiques of The Last Jedi, you have others who are just trying to jump on the bandwagon and declare "TLJ WORST MOVIE EVR!!!!!" to get clicks/views/subscribers. Any small thing gets amplified nowadays. Look at the First Man movie. They didn't do the planting of the flag scene, but they still had the shot of it on the moon. Yet, someone has an agenda and suddenly the filmmakers are unpatriotic, anti-American.

Wow. I was thinking that all the "bad" stuff in TLJ was roughly planned from the beginning, or at least discussed with JJ before moving forward. Pretty interesting. Now I want to know what JJ would have done with Luke's character had he directed TLJ.
Old 04-13-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
If this is true, then I would imagine Rian Johnson's trilogy is DOA?
Kathleen Kennedy mentioned Rian and discussions about his new trilogy yesterday. If it was totally off the table, you wouldn't think that she would have brought it up.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 04-15-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-13-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That pleases me greatly if true to know that there’s some acknowledgment of that film having a lot of issues. The only thing that makes me call it into question is the fact that before The Last Jedi released there was all this talk about it being loved internally and that was a lot of the reason for Johnson getting the green light for a trilogy.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-13-19 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-13-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Taking bets?

Spoiler:

Old 04-13-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Taking bets?

Spoiler:

I've read this theory all across social media, and I'm inclined to believe it.
Old 04-13-19, 03:09 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

And been suggested in this forum as well.

It seems fairly obvious. III - Sith, VI - Jedi, IX - Skywalker. All three episodes are “of the” order.
Old 04-13-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 04-13-19, 03:13 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.