Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by story
I liked The Force Awakens, I loved The Last Jedi, and I prepared to thoroughly enjoy The Rise of Skywalker.

Calling it now: Leia gets together with Lando.
Dont think that would really be possible given they could only use archival footage. Are you saying they get married or simply meet? I would buy them meeting again but not "shipping them" that just seems wrong and disrespectful of Han and/or Carries legacy. my 2c
Old 04-12-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Possible, but opens up the question of what happened to Endor itself, given that it is between DS2 and the planet. I don't think LF would go that way at this point but who knows.

The Yavin system makes more sense if you look at Yavin 4. Seems to be an equal ratio of land to water.

The bigger question is why is Rey searching through old DS wreckage.
Could be she’s looking for kyber crystals to fix the lightsaber.
Old 04-12-19, 05:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

take my fucking money right fucking now. that looked fucking awesome!!! i don't care about name or anything. that trailer was amazing!!!!

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-12-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
That's not Endor, as Endor was a forest moon. That is most likely DS1 which exploded in the Yavin system.
Pulled straight from Wookiepedia. Looks like Endor has water in inland seas.

Old 04-12-19, 06:16 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="740" height="416" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d491gl2eteI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Entertainment Tonight‘s Ash Crossan asked JJ Abrams, “who is the Skywalker [in the title], is Rey the Skywalker, what is going on?” Abrams responded:

“Well, the title feels like it’s the right title for this movie. I know it’s provocative and asks a bunch of questions but when you see the movie you’ll see how it was intended and what it means. But in the flow of titles this title had a very big responsability — it had to be the end of not only three movies, but nine movies. The idea of incorporating the movies that come before strangely is the story of the movie. It’s the characters in the film inherriting everything that’s come before in previous generations, wether it’s the sins of the father or the wisdom that they’ve acquired, and the question is, is this new generation up to the task, can they stand up to what they have to. So in a way, we came to this movie having inherrited a lot, and the question can we do it is a question we ask ourselves everyday .

Ash also asked Abrams if he would be changing Rey’s parentage from what was established in The Last Jedi and Abrams deflected by saying that he can’t wait for people to see the movie to find out what happens. While that’s a great deflection, part of me thinks that if it remained the same Abrams would be reassuring but vague. The fact that he completely deflected indicates to me that Rey’s parentage will evolve some in this final Skywalker saga film.

But on the other hand, he wouldn’t even answer if Porgs would be in the film, which seems like a no brainer since they became inhabitants of the Millenium Falcon in The Last Jedi, so he might just be deflecting any question about what’s actually in the movie and what is not.

In another interview with IGN, Abrams mentions that he sat down and talked with George Lucas before he went and filmed Episode 9. He also reiterates his goal to “that eight films and gives an ending to three trilogies.”

“I want a kid to watch episodes one through nine and see that one story.”

I think this further explains why you would potentially bring back Emperor Palpatine for this film. If Palpatine was the puppetmaster for Snoke and Kylo , then his rise and fall would provide a good villain arc for the entire Skywalker saga.
https://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-...JA49TLyvOFRjdY

Here is what actor John Boyega told Anthony Carboni during the StarWars.com live feed interview:

“The Skywalker saga is done. It felt amazing being part of this final fight. For me, after Episode 8, I wanted more clarity. I had so many questions. I am the Star Wars fan, on set, that likes to debate everything. So for me, I just wanted to see more. I wanted to know about these characters. I wanted to see them together. So I was like, c’mon JJ man, I haven’t written a drop yet but I know exactly what the fans want. They want to see everybody together. They want to see the dynamics between Rey and Kylo. They want more explanation of the [jedi] path. So let’s do it! So I’m glad JJ was on the same exact page.”
https://www.slashfilm.com/john-boyeg...-of-skywalker/
Old 04-12-19, 06:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Looked good. Man, I really wish JJ helmed all three episodes. fuck you Rian Johnson.
Old 04-12-19, 06:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 04-12-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Looks good, sure. But as someone who hates crowds, I can wait a couple of weeks.
Old 04-12-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

JJ has the best vision for this, and while I didn't HATE TLJ, I would have way preferred JJ to do all three. I have a feeling it will all be good in the end.
Old 04-12-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Pulled straight from Wookiepedia. Looks like Endor has water in inland seas.

Regardless. Thematically the setup is looking like DS1. We'll see.

Old 04-12-19, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Chewie is SO getting that medal!
Old 04-12-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
My guess is Rey will adopt Skywalker as a title. As in the "The Knights of Skywalker" or something... eh.

!
A couple of weeks ago when the rumored title was just "Skywalker", I put forth the theory that Rey and her new followers would forgo the title of "Jedi" (or "Sith, even) and call themselves "Skywalkers". I think that may still be at play here, that Skywalker becomes a title of sorts.

But this looked great, and truly felt like it was back in the hands of JJ. Despite it cribbing from ANH, I'm excited for him to close out this saga. I think he has the proper enthusiasm to make sure this is done right.
Old 04-12-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Cautiously optimistic based on the lack of Rose Rose in the trailer.
I went back and skimmed through the Celebration panel and noticed the audience gave Kelly Marie Tran the loudest cheers out of all the actors. It moved her to tears. I wonder if Ahmed Best would have received the same warm reception if Attack of the Clones was coming out in today's social climate.

Rose is not a very well liked (or well written) character, but I guess the fans went out of their way to try and lift her spirits after her much publicized retirement from social media due to "cyberbullying". She seems like a nice person and even Abrams made it a point to heap profuse praise upon her. Still, rumors indicate Rose is sidelined in a command center for much of the movie and she's noticeably absent from the leaked marketing materials. They've obviously backed away from keeping her in the spotlight.
Old 04-12-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me, one problem for Episode 9 is I don't want to see it because I'm interested in the story, but instead what magic JJ will pull out of the hat to undo what Johnson did.
Old 04-12-19, 09:15 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I like her longer hair.
Old 04-12-19, 09:36 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Looked good. Man, I really wish JJ helmed all three episodes. fuck you Rian Johnson.
Yea! Just call him RUIN Johnson from now on!
Old 04-12-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
For me, one problem for Episode 9 is I don't want to see it because I'm interested in the story, but instead what magic JJ will pull out of the hat to undo what Johnson did.
Originally Posted by dex14

Yea! Just call him RUIN Johnson from now on!
I honestly think if the internet existed in 1980, The Empire Strikes Back would have been a divisive movie with a loud contingent of detractors whipped into a frenzy about how Irvin Kershner ruined everything and sucked all the fun out of Star Wars.
Old 04-12-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahh... I don't like the title but love that Palpatine is back.

Knights of Skywalkers sounds silly but I'd be OK if Rey adopts the name.

I'd guess Finn will adopt Poe's last name Dameron - like brothers.

The trailer and title feels like Disney's saying "Luke's back! Love Star Wars again, please!"

As for the Emperor being back - my guess is that he's a ghost or nightmare taunting Kylo Ren.

Knights of Ren could be a Sith cult and Palpatine worshippers... They chant and mediate in the dark side while Kylo remains conflicted.
Old 04-12-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
I honestly think if the internet existed in 1980, The Empire Strikes Back would have been a divisive movie with a loud contingent of detractors whipped into a frenzy about how Irvin Kershner ruined everything and sucked all the fun out of Star Wars.
Was Empire divisive back then? Guess we'll never know.

Honest question, was it ever planned that Luke and Leia were brother-sister?
Old 04-12-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Honest question, was it ever planned that Luke and Leia were brother-sister?
Not until they sat down to write ROTJ. The "There is another" line from Empire was not meant for Leia and was not meant to be resolved until Episode 7 or 8, and ROTJ was not meant to end with the death of the Emperor and the fall of the Empire. Then Lucas decided that he was done making Star Wars movies for a while, and so he had to quickly wrap up all those hanging plot threads, so Leia became the sister, because there was no time to introduce another character and resolve it in a satisfying way in a single movie.
Old 04-12-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Not digging the title. The trailer was ... fine.

I enjoyed TFA and TLJ ... but for what this series has become, I am not into this. I was born at that right time — Star Wars made my childhood magical. And while this doesn’t detract from those fondest of memories, it does prove that the magic is gone.

Granted, I have never been a fan of this whole thing being a “Skywalker saga” ... and really, I felt only the PT really nailed that down. However, just the title alone tilts the balance and shits all over what I had yearned for. Criticize Rogue One all you want, but it was the tone and story I wanted all along: the battle between good and evil, an intergalactic war and the story of The Rebellion and The Empire. Not some fucking futuristic version of Keeping Up With the Kardashians.

I will be there for this new movie. I won’t even try to claim that I won’t be there. However, it looks like my hopes for the future lie in the TV shows.
Old 04-12-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last Jedi' haters are nothing new. Plenty of fans hated 'Empire Strikes Back' too.

Star Wars Fans Hated Empire Strikes Back When It Was First Released, Too

HOW DID FANS REACT TO THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK IN 1980?

As with The Last Jedi, fan reaction was mixed to say the least. Some felt it was better than the first one, some enjoyed it but had complaints, and some were disappointed. But what’s most interesting is how specific comments or criticisms mirror those of The Last Jedi
Same crap, different generation.

It’s interesting to think about where Star Wars as a franchise would be had a legion of Internet scrutinizers been there to immediately dissect the severe plot issues of the original film, let alone the darker tone and bizarre developments of the second one.
Old 04-12-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

But at least it didn't break hyperspace or have people floating back into the MF.
Old 04-12-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
This looks good. It's a crying shame J.J didn't get to make all 3 episodes. Force Awakens wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it was pretty good. The fact that Kathleen Kennedy didn't have a plan for the entire trilogy and just pulled it out of her ass one movie at a time WITH DIFFERENT FILMMAKERS blows my mind. I just don't understand how you could be so monumentally stupid. Especially when you KNOW you are making a trilogy from DAY ONE. I'm not sure who fucked up Star Wars more, Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson or George Lucas.
I felt the same way too. It's been 30 years and you can't make an original, cohesive Star Wars story?
But then again, these are all professionals that need to be paid in order to spend the time it takes to hammer out a good story and script. Not to mention the politics involved in signing directors and screenwriters, and getting everyone to agree to the budget, creative control, salary, etc. Considering the success of the last two, I'd say that Kathleen Kennedy is pretty intelligent. Rian Johnson gets a lot of shit, but TLJ was a solid film. The last two could have been better, but considering what they're working with, and how precious the series is to fans, they did an excellent job of playing it safe, and rocking the boat when they needed to.

Originally Posted by joe_b
I went back and skimmed through the Celebration panel and noticed the audience gave Kelly Marie Tran the loudest cheers out of all the actors. It moved her to tears. I wonder if Ahmed Best would have received the same warm reception if Attack of the Clones was coming out in today's social climate.
I'm glad to read that. I like Kelly Marie Tran, and Rose was pretty likable, in spite of a couple stupid things the character said and did.

Originally Posted by Ranger

The trailer and title feels like Disney's saying "Luke's back! Love Star Wars again, please!"
I didn't even notice that. I was thinking more about how Star Wars deals a lot with themes of loss, and how through the Force no one's really gone. Also, I thought it was a passing of the torch thing, where Han, Leia, and Luke will live on through Rey. I thought it was a nice touch.
But yeah, maybe it's also some meta thing.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I enjoyed TFA and TLJ ... but for what this series has become, I am not into this. I was born at that right time — Star Wars made my childhood magical. And while this doesn’t detract from those fondest of memories, it does prove that the magic is gone.
Agreed. Star Wars was magic. Even when Muppet Babies had Star Wars-centric episodes, it was exciting, because Star Wars was a big deal.

But I really dig the way their connecting it more to ROTJ. Normally, soulless corporations taking over a beloved property ruins it, but Disney managed to bring Lucas's Star Wars back from the trash heap. The PT was awful. The ST is fun.
I only wish they gave Rey a new outfit, and didn't keep her in those capris and uggs.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 04-13-19, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

Last Jedi' haters are nothing new. Plenty of fans hated 'Empire Strikes Back' too.

Star Wars Fans Hated Empire Strikes Back When It Was First Released, Too

HOW DID FANS REACT TO THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK IN 1980?

Same crap, different generation.

It’s interesting to think about where Star Wars as a franchise would be had a legion of Internet scrutinizers been there to immediately dissect the severe plot issues of the original film, let alone the darker tone and bizarre developments of the second one.
I thought that was just fake news propagated by TLJ fans and journalists paid off by Disney. I posted something similar awhile back and I think it was Hokeyboy or someone else that responded back that, no, ESB wasn't divisive. I'll trust the people that were there at the time over those that just want clicks.

Yeah, it was discussed earlier here.

Last edited by brayzie; 04-13-19 at 12:11 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.