Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Old 04-12-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Draven
Well I doubt he's alive. It has to be a flashback or vision or a Force ghost situation.
Or a hologram recording of some kind
Old 04-12-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Or a hologram recording of some kind
Sure. There was a whole thing in the EU books about Jedi Holocrons that have recordings like that in them.
Old 04-12-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Well, we never really did WITNESS him die in RotJ.
Old 04-12-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

You guys are missing the obvious. Episode IX is a prequel to VIII, hence The Rise of Skywalker

This is not popular opinion, but I'll say this, JJ's stuff entertains me. I haven't seen everything, including Alias. But generally I really like his stuff.

The opening move looks good. The music sounds great. But, I've been fooled before.

I thought in the books(?) they say that the Emperor is a clone, and can jump from body to body or something. Never been brought up in the movies AFAIK.

Looks like they gave Rey a "makeover". I think Daisy is pretty, and hot, but I seem to remember she got cyber bullied about her looks after the first movie.

So, Death Star 1 destroyed around Yavin.
DS 2, at Endor/moon.
Starkiller Base in space? Were they near Jakku?

I still don't plan on seeing this in the theater though.
Old 04-12-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Rey looks the same as she did in the last two. I didn't notice a makeover.
Were people really criticizing her looks? She's not hot, but she's pretty.
Old 04-12-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Should we take the close-up shot of Rey’s reassembled lightsabre and Kylo gluing his helmet back together as blatant signals that they’re trying to clean up the shit Rian Johnson smeared all over the walls?
Old 04-12-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

If she's getting bullied for her looks, then there's not much hope for any of us.
Old 04-12-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Well I doubt he's alive. It has to be a flashback or vision or a Force ghost situation.
I guess what I mean is that he appears to be intricate to the plot, one way or another, and not just a quick cameo like Darth Maul in Solo.
Old 04-12-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I like it. I'll echo the same sentiments JJ is a great director just not the most original.

Its nice to see Landon but its a shame he never got to share the screen with Han. I still wish this new trilogy would have been structured better. But I'm definitely hopeful
Old 04-12-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I thought in the books(?) they say that the Emperor is a clone, and can jump from body to body or something. Never been brought up in the movies AFAIK.
That happened in the Dark Empire comic series done by Dark Horse in the 90’s. It’s not canon anymore.

But speaking of clones and 90’s EU stuff, that laugh at the end almost sounded more like Hamill’s Joker laugh at first. It had me worried they were going to pull that evil Luke clone Luuke crap. I can’t see that translating to screen at all.

I wonder if the title might have more than one meaning. Not only a reference to the future of the franchise, but possibly finally confirmation that Palpatine was behind Anakin’s virgin birth. I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I think that there’s a connection to the Force creating life and Rey’s origins. Possibly even a reincarnation of sorts of Anakin’s spirit.
Old 04-12-19, 03:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Hmm. This might be as good as the excellent Rogue One, which is objectively the very best Star Wars film, based on facts and objective reasons.
Old 04-12-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't think JJ is a very good director, or even much of a story-teller, but he is good at trailers.
Old 04-12-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Should we take the close-up shot of Rey’s reassembled lightsabre and Kylo gluing his helmet back together as blatant signals that they’re trying to clean up the shit Rian Johnson smeared all over the walls?
IMO, if there's any shit pertaining to Johnson's movie, it's how it shits all over JJ's movie.
Old 04-12-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

So if that is the wreckage of Death Star II, does that mean they're somewhere on the moon or Endor? Does that mean we'll get Ewoks again? Most people would hate that but I would love it.
Old 04-12-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

It looks entertaining enough. It didn’t really wow me though. The coolest part to me was seeing the wreckage of the Death Star at the end and Palpatine’s laugh. Luke’s line about people never really being gone comes off as saying: we know this isn’t what you wanted regarding this character, but here’s some consolation. I remain very cautious about getting my hopes up for this film.
Old 04-12-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

This looks good. It's a crying shame J.J didn't get to make all 3 episodes. Force Awakens wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it was pretty good. The fact that Kathleen Kennedy didn't have a plan for the entire trilogy and just pulled it out of her ass one movie at a time WITH DIFFERENT FILMMAKERS blows my mind. I just don't understand how you could be so monumentally stupid. Especially when you KNOW you are making a trilogy from DAY ONE. I'm not sure who fucked up Star Wars more, Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson or George Lucas.
Old 04-12-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So if that is the wreckage of Death Star II, does that mean they're somewhere on the moon or Endor? Does that mean we'll get Ewoks again? Most people would hate that but I would love it.
That's not Endor, as Endor was a forest moon. That is most likely DS1 which exploded in the Yavin system.
Old 04-12-19, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Rise of Skywalker.

Undoing the crap that was Episode 8 just with a title alone. This saga is about the Luke, his father and his ...
Old 04-12-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
That's not Endor, as Endor was a forest moon. That is most likely DS1 which exploded in the Yavin system.
ROTJ referred to the "forest moon of Endor". Perhaps another moon or the main planet has an ocean?
Old 04-12-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Sorry, I meant to say "moon of Endor", not "moon or Endor". Speculating here, but I think it has to be DS2 as it will probably tie in to Palpatine since he "died" on DS2. The planet Endor itself is a gas giant so I don't think there would be any surface to walk on there. Maybe Lando has been stuck on Endor's moon since ROTJ and has been partying with the Ewoks all this time and that's how they run into him again. I'm sure some canon novel has probably explained what Lando has been up to since then though.
Old 04-12-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
ROTJ referred to the "forest moon of Endor". Perhaps another moon or the main planet has an ocean?
Possible, but opens up the question of what happened to Endor itself, given that it is between DS2 and the planet. I don't think LF would go that way at this point but who knows.

The Yavin system makes more sense if you look at Yavin 4. Seems to be an equal ratio of land to water.

The bigger question is why is Rey searching through old DS wreckage.
Old 04-12-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That darn Ewoks movie is subtitled The Battle for Endor. Been leading us astray for 35 years now.
Old 04-12-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
This looks good. It's a crying shame J.J didn't get to make all 3 episodes.
JJ didn't want to make all 3 episodes. He wanted to make the first and that's it. He said so in that Fast Company interview, and admits he basically had to be goaded into returning.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Force Awakens wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it was pretty good. The fact that Kathleen Kennedy didn't have a plan for the entire trilogy and just pulled it out of her ass one movie at a time WITH DIFFERENT FILMMAKERS blows my mind. I just don't understand how you could be so monumentally stupid. Especially when you KNOW you are making a trilogy from DAY ONE.
The fact that they knew this was a trilogy with films coming out every two years is why they had to wing it and use a different writer/director for each film. RJ was writing TLJ while TFA was still being made. Colin Trevorrow was hired in 2015 for Episode IX, before TFA was even out. These films needed around 3 years of production time, but with only 2 years between releases, they had to be made somewhat concurrently, with pre-production on the next starting before the previous was finished. This pretty near demanded separate writer/directors to tackle each film.
Old 04-12-19, 04:24 PM

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,092 Posts

I liked The Force Awakens, I loved The Last Jedi, and I prepared to thoroughly enjoy The Rise of Skywalker.

Skywalker could mean:
1. Rey takes title of Skywalker, a new "tribe" instead of Jedi and Sith.
2. Rey is of the Skywalker lineage.
3. Kylo Ren rises above the dark side and becomes the Ben Solo, the true Skywalker, he was meant to be.

I think it's Endor. When I first saw the trees of Starkiller Base blown away with red in TFA trailer, I figured it was Endor and Kylo Ren destroying it for the humiliation it brought his grandfather, all those hated Ewoks fried up. Perhaps we'll still see some version of this. For everyone who hates Ewoks, it will be interesting to see what happens if they all get slaughtered, how will people feel then.

Calling it now: Leia gets together with Lando.
Old 04-12-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're not bringing the Ewoks back for the same reason we won't see Jar Jar or Porgs, though It could be the actual planet of Endor.

Also, don't discount the idea that Luke does have a child out there, that is not Rey. That would set up more films in the future, possibly explain Luke's self exile, not the garbage from TLJ. It would also fit with Ob1/Yoda hiding and keeping Luke/Leia secret, and fall right in line with the certain "point of view" BS story Ben told Luke.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.