Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Agreed. And frankly, Vader's "redemption" doesn't work, either. Maybe on a personal level for Luke, but we have seen Vader kill little kids. You have to throw at least two Emperors in a pit to make up for that.

Even before the prequels, we knew he had tortured Leia and Han, killed Obi Wan, and so on.
Agreed. Vader's redemption works (when it was just the OT) as just a secondary story to Luke's truimph at the end. We didn't know what Darth Vader did to become evil, and that is why those type of characters work better when they're left mysterious. Once the PT came out, it put a face on Darth Vader (a whiny teenage bitch who choked his wife and slaughtered young jedi) and than you start to really question why you should care about this character? The same goes for Kylo Ren as even though he is probably the most interesting new character (which doesn't say much cause Rey is a total bore), I can't really connect with him or care about his redemption cause he killed/tried to kill two my of my favorite characters in the history of movies. That's why I'm suprised they are possibly going the redemption angle route in the new Trilogy cause it just doesn't sit well with alot of people. And if we end up with Rey-Lo than this Trilogy will be a pure shit-show.
Old 02-25-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I think it just depends on how you’re viewing it. The prequels just give some context for Anakin’s character. He was a young and misguided person who tried doing the right things but let his emotions get the better of him and lead to his downfall. From that sense I think he’s still an interesting character, but I do agree that his arc in the prequels wasn’t told in the best way. There’s still an interesting story to his character though in my opinion.

The saga overall is a family drama really and Luke in the Original Trilogy wants to turn Vader because of the good he senses in him still. It probably is naive because even if Vader survived after defeating the Emperor and turning back he wouldn’t have been accepted back, but that’s largely the character of Luke. He has largely the same traits as his father in that he wants to help him as well as others he cares about, but is strong enough to resist the pull to the Dark Side.
Old 02-25-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Agreed. Vader's redemption works (when it was just the OT) as just a secondary story to Luke's truimph at the end. We didn't know what Darth Vader did to become evil, and that is why those type of characters work better when they're left mysterious. Once the PT came out, it put a face on Darth Vader (a whiny teenage bitch who choked his wife and slaughtered young jedi) and than you start to really question why you should care about this character? The same goes for Kylo Ren as even though he is probably the most interesting new character (which doesn't say much cause Rey is a total bore), I can't really connect with him or care about his redemption cause he killed/tried to kill two my of my favorite characters in the history of movies. That's why I'm suprised they are possibly going the redemption angle route in the new Trilogy cause it just doesn't sit well with alot of people. And if we end up with Rey-Lo than this Trilogy will be a pure shit-show.
I disagree.
HIs redemption worked for me, because I saw ROTJ as a kid, and just accepted the story.
Re-watching the OT, Vader helps the Empire destroy an entire planet full of people. There's no coming back from that.
Oh, but he doesn't let his own son get killed by the old guy who wants them both dead anyways. That's a selfish reason.

Saving his own son > helping to murder millions of innocent people? He gets to go to Jedi heaven and come back as a Force ghost?
That's bull.
Instead of Special Editing Hayden Christiansen into ROTJ, Lucas should of just SE'd Force ghost Anakin out of it completely. Vader dies, but he does one good act before he goes. Luke later puts the terror of Darth Vader and the Empire too rest symbolically through the funeral pyre. End scene.

Also, I get the shipping and fanfic of Rey-Lo, but it doesn't seem practical for the actual movies. I thought it was hinted at since the beginning that Rey and Finn were going to get together.
Old 02-25-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the logic behind Vader/Anakin’s redemption is a bit more complicated than some are giving it credit for. Especially from Luke’s stance. Anakin and Vader are really supposed to be viewed as two people in my opinion.

Anakin was basically thought to be long gone by not only the Emperor but also by himself. Vader even tells Luke that the name of Anakin no longer has any meaning to him. Even though we still see him in Revenge of the Sith he is Vader before he puts on the suit. Anakin was already half dead and consumed by the Emperor and the Dark Side before being critically injured and forced into wearing the suit due to the duel on Mustafar. After that point he’s pretty much manipulated into a tool to follow through whatever orders he’s given. In many ways it feels like he’s brainwashed by the Emperor into thinking that Anakin no longer exists and that he was rebirthed as someone completely different.

I don’t think that justifies his actions obviously and he’s still accountable for the horrific things he did, but that’s kind of how I’ve always thought of his redemption. Anakin wasn’t strong enough to resist the pull to the Dark Side because he let his emotions get in the way. Luke is able sense whatever good is left in Vader, even if just a bit and convert him back to the good man he once was even if it’s only for a final act.

Also him killing the Emperor was overall pretty impactful. That ended not only Palpatine’s reign over the galaxy, but largely hurt the Empire as a whole and brought peace back to the galaxy, even it it didn’t last forever.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-25-19 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Agreed. And frankly, Vader's "redemption" doesn't work, either. Maybe on a personal level for Luke, but we have seen Vader kill little kids. You have to throw at least two Emperors in a pit to make up for that.

Even before the prequels, we knew he had tortured Leia and Han, killed Obi Wan, and so on.
Originally Posted by Mike86
I pretty much always viewed Vader’s redemption as more of a personal win for Luke than anything. He wanted to see the good left in Anakin and bring it out. I don’t think he would have realistically expected everyone to forget the actions of Darth Vader.
Vader’s redemption really only works as a personal victory in the context of a father-and-son dynamic.

If he hadn’t had the good sense to die, he would have stood trial for war crimes and been executed.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-26-19 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Vader’s redemption really only works as a personal in the context of a father-and-son dynamic.

If he hadn’t had the good sense to die, he would have stood trial for war crimes and been executed.
It's a shame they never played this angle with Luke and Leia in the ST (this would have been a believable fallout of the OT for them instead of Luke going rogue and turning into a complete asshole). They actually played up this angle in one of the new Novels were Leia was outed by another Senator as Vader's daughter and I believe she was forced to resign (I just read the overview of the book so I'm not sure what happened). That would have been a cool story for the ST in that Luke/Leia are exposed as Vader's kids and have to repair their image and protect their kids (maybe they knew, maybe they didn't know).

Old 02-26-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

That would have been a cool story for the ST in that Luke/Leia are exposed as Vader's kids and have to repair their image and protect their kids (maybe they knew, maybe they didn't know).
Sounds like an excellent idea for a Star Wars Lifetime Channel movie.
Old 02-26-19, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by clappj
Sounds like an excellent idea for a Star Wars Lifetime Channel movie.
Luke/Leia already smooched in ESB and than found out they were siblings in ROTJ, so this was a Hallmark Channel Movie WAY before this idea!
Old 02-26-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a shame they never played this angle with Luke and Leia in the ST (this would have been a believable fallout of the OT for them instead of Luke going rogue and turning into a complete asshole). They actually played up this angle in one of the new Novels were Leia was outed by another Senator as Vader's daughter and I believe she was forced to resign (I just read the overview of the book so I'm not sure what happened). That would have been a cool story for the ST in that Luke/Leia are exposed as Vader's kids and have to repair their image and protect their kids (maybe they knew, maybe they didn't know).
While I think that’s an interesting idea I think that it would be a story better suited as a subplot and it would have needed to be shortly after Return of the Jedi rather than thirty years later. That’s the problem with the sequels happening so late. Unless they bridge the gap between Episode VI and VII someday either with a film featuring a new cast or maybe a series (could do it animated maybe). That could be a storyline possibly amongst other things.
Old 03-01-19, 08:26 AM

Take this rumor with a huge grain of salt (regarding a certain writer being brought on for Episode 9:

Spoiler:
George Lucas is coming back to help JJ write Luke's final arc (along with the OT characters) for Episode 9:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...jedi-backlash/

Old 03-01-19, 08:34 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I was going to post that, but it just seems like horseshit. Even if asked, why would he want to? And the way the article is written is dumb. "Coming back" ? It is wrapped.
Old 03-01-19, 08:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Perfect time to wrap up the complex Jar-Jar storyline, as well as the mini-chlorites.
Old 03-01-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The title says "bringing him in" the articles reads as "brought him in". Wouldn't surprise me if they did but it's a shit-show regardless. Perhaps having a plot from start to finish would have helped save this trilogy... it's all too late now.
Old 03-01-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

He was behind the camera for a scene in Solo, for what it's worth.
Old 03-01-19, 10:04 AM

He was behind the camera for a scene in Solo, for what it's worth.
I believe he recommended that Han throw his jacket (in a cocky, but flirty way) before he kissing Qi'ra in the falcon scene. That was actually a cool Han scene as he came off like the 'ladies man' that he was in the OT, and still likeable.
Old 03-01-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
The title says "bringing him in" the articles reads as "brought him in". Wouldn't surprise me if they did but it's a shit-show regardless. Perhaps having a plot from start to finish would have helped save this trilogy... it's all too late now.
Perhaps, perhaps not. You could spend twenty years plotting it out and then find something didn't work somewhere in the process. Now if I was tackling something like a sequel Star Wars trilogy, I would definitely have an endpoint in mind while keeping flexibility to adjust things on the way (like letting Poe live in TFA when the character worked better than they thought). But it would still not guarantee people would like it. Hell, the end to the prequels was basically written in stone nearly 30 years before they were released.
Old 03-04-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

I read the interview earlier and the part about him not wanting Luke to say anything to C3PO just makes me feel like Rian Johnson has never even seen a Star Wars film before even more.
Old 03-04-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rian Johnson, constantly reaffirming my opinion that he can fuck himself. Not sure how he got involved with a franchise so big only to crap on it and it’s fanbase.
Old 03-04-19, 08:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

OK, OK, I hate RJ just as much as anybody but lets stay on target.... stay on target....
Old 03-04-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

They should just stop making Star Wars films.
Old 03-04-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I read the interview earlier and the part about him not wanting Luke to say anything to C3PO just makes me feel like Rian Johnson has never even seen a Star Wars film before even more.
Originally Posted by Mike86
Rian Johnson, constantly reaffirming my opinion that he can fuck himself. Not sure how he got involved with a franchise so big only to crap on it and it’s fanbase.
Film making is a collaborative effort. No one person is going to have all the answers. The fact that Johnson took Hamill's recommendation and added it to the scene is what matters.
Old 03-04-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

And here we...go.
Old 03-04-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
Film making is a collaborative effort. No one person is going to have all the answers. The fact that Johnson took Hamill's recommendation and added it to the scene is what matters.
The problem is it wasn’t just that. That’s one example amongst many in which Johnson went out of his way in that film to be disrespectful to characters and lore set up by previous films. That’s all I’ll say about it so as not to ruffle up feathers in this thread.
Old 03-04-19, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Did The Last Jedi thread get deleted or something?
Old 03-05-19, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-mark-hamill-vow-of-silence

Mark Hamill Takes a Vow of Silence on Star Wars Movies

The thing is. Luke changed so much between the first trilogy and the last trilogy. I got myself into trouble [by stating those opinions]. I made a vow, I said that I'm not going to talk about the movies anymore, because I think it's important for the audience to see them...
The no comment stance doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence for IX.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.