Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 04:52 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by outcastja
No Keri Russell?
The reason her name wasn’t on the cast list: she hadn’t signed her deal by the time the studio wanted the news to go out today via StarWars.com. Deadline hears though that she has now officially inked for the unknown role, and that she will be in the finale of the Skywalker Saga movies that has a December 20, 2019 release date.
https://deadline.com/2018/07/keri-ru...st-1202435383/
Old 07-27-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I'm glad they found a good solution for Leia.

I still think they could have digitally swapped her for Admiral Holdo in TLJ in the ramming scene, but it will be nice to see her one more time.

And I think literally zero people will be surprised to see Luke as a Force Ghost.
Old 07-27-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And I think literally zero people will be surprised to see Luke as a Force Ghost.
That's why it would be better to bring him back in human form. The audience would flip out.
Old 07-27-18, 08:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Then fling another lightsaber behind him.
Old 07-27-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lucas wrote a back door in ROTS to fix a lot of what people hate about TLJ. Luke/Snoke. I would not be surprised if JJ goes with that. It's already been laid out instead of just having Luke pop up alive.

Snoke is, or is somehow connected to, Darth Plagueis.

Why was Luke really on Ahch-To? Fully aware of the danger that is Snoke, he went there to learn how not to die. His astral projection is just one of the new things he learned there.
Old 07-27-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Episode 8 could be retconned so easily... three words: Bob Newhart Finale...

Spoiler:
Just have Fin "wake up" from his coma and have all of the events in the previous movie just be a bad dream.

Yep. Fill IX as two parts, then release them as VIII and IX, and make TLJ a "Star Wars Story."

A boy can dream, can't he?
Old 07-27-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Going off of everything I've read and seen, the big unreleased Leia moment in TFA was her interaction with Maz Kanata. Maybe some of that can be repurposed?

I suspect most of Fisher's role in VII was reshot at some point, since a lot her performance appeared edited together and done in close-ups. Probably plenty of alternate shots and dialogue that was later revised. She also had a giant pony tail over her shoulder in the deleted scenes and on-set footage. I guess they could have painted it out during post-production (I imagine they did for some shots):

She was also sporting some southern belle hair in one on-set interview. That may have only been for hair tests, as Fisher doesn't appear to be in costume here:

Old 07-27-18, 09:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I say go with the CGI, but have the majority of Leia's scenes communicating as a hologram away from the main action that way the cgi doesn't have to be "perfect".
Old 07-27-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's why it would be better to bring him back in human form. The audience would flip out.
You may be onto something. That would blow people away and no one would see it coming.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Lucas wrote a back door in ROTS to fix a lot of what people hate about TLJ. Luke/Snoke. I would not be surprised if JJ goes with that. It's already been laid out instead of just having Luke pop up alive.

Snoke is, or is somehow connected to, Darth Plagueis.

Why was Luke really on Ahch-To? Fully aware of the danger that is Snoke, he went there to learn how not to die. His astral projection is just one of the new things he learned there.

Please. No. Let the prequels die. Same with Snoke. I don't need some grand backstory with some convoluted connections to anyone. He served his purpose. Put in a novel I'll never read.
Old 07-28-18, 05:58 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

as much as I hated TLJ and Luke's characterization and demise I think I'd hate him truly coming back to life. He clearly crossed over in TLJ... bad decision but now you're stuck.. just keep him as a Force Ghost. If Yoda can shoot electricity and bring down trees then he still can do some badass shit in that form. Maybe another sacrifice at the end where he gives up his chance to even be a Force Ghost.
Old 07-28-18, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

This is just my gut feeling, but I think that Luke will not be dead (they will somehow bring him back or he never died and Rey will be apart of that plot point). I also think now that Leia will not die in Episode 9, because that would be very weird to show old footage of her and then kill her. I wonder if she will be in a Hologram the whole movie (at a rebel like she was in TFA) and that way the images of her won't be as jarring cause they can just show her face kind of like they did with The Emperor in Episode 1.

I firmly believe now that Luke/Leia will be alive and in the final shot of Episode 9 with Rey (something similar to Luke looking at the Force Ghosts in ROTJ) that will marry the generations of characters and fans to tie it all up in a nice bow. That way they can keep Rey as a nobody as metaphor that the Galaxy goes on, and show Luke/Leia as metaphor that this is still the Skywalker Saga.
Old 07-28-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
as much as I hated TLJ and Luke's characterization and demise I think I'd hate him truly coming back to life. He clearly crossed over in TLJ... bad decision but now you're stuck.. just keep him as a Force Ghost.
If I were in charge, I'd have him come back.

I think it's sort of an interesting idea, where he becomes one with the Force and then comes back. If Luke is supposed to be one of the most powerful Jedis ever, then the idea of him crossing over and coming back with insight and knowledge of the universe's greatest mysteries is interesting and remarkable, and the kind of thing that will become legend more than his bilocation stunt in TLJ.
Old 07-28-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I think it's sort of an interesting idea, where he becomes one with the Force and then comes back. If Luke is supposed to be one of the most powerful Jedis ever, then the idea of him crossing over and coming back with insight and knowledge of the universe's greatest mysteries is interesting and remarkable...
It's been done.

"I am Gandalf the White. I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide."
Old 07-28-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

So I wonder with this being the last chapter in the Skywalker saga if any of the new characters will carry over to future films. Daisy is supposedly out (but I wouldn’t be surprised if she comes back eventually) but I wonder if Boyega and Isaac have intent on coming back or if the audience really wants them back. I mean honestly Rey is the main sticking point to the Sequel Trilogy other than Kylo. It’ll be interesting seeing how Episode X and beyond play out.
Old 07-28-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I think it's sort of an interesting idea, where he becomes one with the Force and then comes back. If Luke is supposed to be one of the most powerful Jedis ever, then the idea of him crossing over and coming back with insight and knowledge of the universe's greatest mysteries is interesting and remarkable, and the kind of thing that will become legend more than his bilocation stunt in TLJ.
If they do have Luke show up alive I wonder if tha will change some people’s opinion of Ep. VIII?

I’d personally like to see him come back alive in Ep. IX. A force ghost just seems too obvious. The scenario posted above is as good as any explanation they could give and I’d just be happy if he gets a proper send-off from the series instead of the disappearing act from Pride Rock that we got in Ep. VIII.
Old 07-28-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You may be onto something. That would blow people away and no one would see it coming.
The problem with that is that all the Jedi would come back. Luke, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda and (for zero reason) Mace Windu.

If there were any sort of precedent for it. it would be fine, but the established fact is you disappear then become a Force ghost.

As for Snoke,. I'd rather see him as a torso with robot legs a lot more than I'd like the return of Darth Maul.
Old 07-28-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
If they do have Luke show up alive I wonder if tha will change some people’s opinion of Ep. VIII?

I’d personally like to see him come back alive in Ep. IX. A force ghost just seems too obvious. The scenario posted above is as good as any explanation they could give and I’d just be happy if he gets a proper send-off from the series instead of the disappearing act from Pride Rock that we got in Ep. VIII.
Maybe Luke was never really on Ahch-To (gesundheit!) to begin with, and his presence there was the same as when he fought Kylo Ren on Crait.
Old 07-28-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So I wonder with this being the last chapter in the Skywalker saga if any of the new characters will carry over to future films. Daisy is supposedly out...
Daisy says she was misquoted
https://movieweb.com/star-wars-last-...ture-comments/
"Misquoted. I was misquoted. I was asked, by the way, at the end of a very long day, at the end of a very long shoot, I was asked how I felt going forward. And I said, in my mind, the story finishes at Episode IX. To me, Star Wars is in threes. [Episodes] 4, 5, 6; 1, 2, 3; 7, 8, 9. So, for me, that's what I was signing on to; VII, VIII, IX. So that's really what I was answering. And I think, for now I'm not saying forever."
Old 07-28-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Maybe Luke was never really on Ahch-To (gesundheit!) to begin with, and his presence there was the same as when he fought Kylo Ren on Crait.
You may be on to something. Luke disappeared from Ahch-To because he was never really there. That’s a bit to retrofit into the saga but I’d be ok with it.
Old 07-28-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ooh, I like that idea too. Lots of ways to bring him back and not go the typical force ghost route.
Old 07-28-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think they will bring him back because if you didn't kill him in VIII it makes sense to kill him in IX. They can't bring him back just to kill him again. I think a scene or two of him guiding Rey, ala Obi Wan and Yoda, as a force ghost would be fine. Although I was also fine with the way he was handled in TLJ.

Having said that, it's official canon that Darth Maul was chopped in half, fell down a very deep tube and came back alive and fine. Retconning Luke's "fade away" death is certainly easier to swallow then that.
Old 07-28-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

, where is it written Luke has to die?
Old 07-28-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
, where is it written Luke has to die?
Cause that is what you do with the older characters! 😋 Even Lucas's treatment had Luke die in 9.
Old 07-28-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They're bringing him back to kill him.
In the movie or in real life?
Old 07-28-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Forceception?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.