Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I liked the PT music right away. I didn’t need 20 years. Couldn’t hum one ST theme right now, and I’m a musician.
Old 03-02-18, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
So if any of you watch Star Wars Rebels, you know that they've introduced
Spoiler:
time travel
into the mix.
Spoiler:
We all know how much JJ loves time travel plots
. I wonder if this will carry into Ep IX and play a part with Luke?
DON'T give Disney any ideas!

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

Spoiler:
If they wanted to get crazy, they could go for the whole Hitler thought exercise: travel back in time and take out Anakin Skywalker just as he turns into the whiny teen that ruins Darth Vader. Reboot the whole franchise that way.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
One thing the PT wipes the floor with the ST on - music. Some fantastic scoring in the PT. ST music is largely forgettable IMO.
Agreed.
Old 03-02-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I liked the PT music right away. I didn’t need 20 years. Couldn’t hum one ST theme right now, and I’m a musician.
Not a very good one apparently.
Old 03-06-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Not at all unexpected, but John Williams just confirmed that IX will be his final Star Wars score.

"We know JJ Abrams is preparing one [Star Wars movie] now that I will hopefully do next year for him. I look forward to it. It will round out a series of nine, that will be quite enough for me."
http://www.classicfm.com/artists/joh...its-star-wars/
Old 03-06-18, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"We know JJ Abrams is preparing one [Star Wars movie] now that I will hopefully do next year for him. I look forward to it. It will round out a series of nine, that will be quite enough for me."

That about describes my feelings for Star Wars also.
Old 03-06-18, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Not me. I'll keep watching Star Wars movies.
Old 03-07-18, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Not me. I'll keep watching Star Wars movies.
The Skywalker Saga movies have always been the only thing that moved the radar for me. I just really don't care about Solo, as this movie does nothing for me. I thought Rogue One was a good movie (it's still the only SW movie I did not see opening weekend) as it had a very serious tone, but the characters are forgettable so I'm not sure how much replay value it will hold. I have never watched the other stuff like The Clone Wars Series, etc. And I could really care less about post Episode 9 stuff like Rian Johnson's Trilogy or the guys from Game of Thrones possible SW movies.

Now I don't say this to disparage anyone who is looking forward to it, because the movies have moved past fans like me who are OT fans at heart and the Saga is the only thing that appeals to me. I actually wish they skipped the Solo movie and moved on by now so they could stop worrying about appealing to older fans like me.
Old 03-09-18, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
That "Empire" had like seven fucking ships and their main battle station (including probably every penny they had as well as soldiers and ships) was recently blown to hell. THAT is the big bad that an entire galaxy can't fend off. These movies are like a microcosm of two rock throwing countries from the Middle Ages in comparison to the OT.
I agree. The scale just feels way off. It already felt that way in TFA but TLJ really blew everything to pieces. Now the rebels fit inside the millenium falcon? It just doesn't feel like the grand space opera it should be with the vast empire vs. the ragtag but still capable rebel forces that have sympathizers throughout the galaxy or the vast republic vs. the trade federation (okay they sucked but at least they had tons of droids). It's hard to feel like the fate of the galaxy is hanging in the balance when it seems like it's just a small group fighting.
Old 03-09-18, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Eh. You've had almost 20 years with the PT music and less than 5 with the ST so not a fair comparison, but to each their own. Only good music I can remember from PT really is Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars. Battle of the Heroes sounded incredibly forced. Whereas Rey's theme, the Resistance, Scherzo for X-Wings even Rose's themes are already some of my favorites.

I have to disagree. The ST has very few memorable themes. Rey's theme is brilliantly delicate. And the March of the First Order is appropriately bombastic, but that's about it. TLJ was terrible IMHO and as a huge Star Wars and John Williams fan that really hurts to say. There wasn't anything memorable in that soundtrack that wasn't a direct rehash of previous themes.

The PT I think stands almost as tall as the OT musically. The duel of the fates alone I think is right up there with the Star Wars theme and the Imperial March.
Old 03-09-18, 09:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The PT’s music is really interesting, far more than the ST. Anakin’s theme has the Imperial March hidden in it, Anakin and Padme’s love theme is a combination of Luke and Leia’s Themes from the OT, and there are several good original themes in the three movies as well. It’s much more motif based than the ST.

Whether we like the PT or not, Lucas made several decisions designed to specifically harken back to the OT in subtle ways. It was designed to be a counterweight to the OT. The ST is, as many people here have pointed out, more haphazard and driven by other voices. I suspect if Lucas had done the ST himself, the music would be more memorable and recognizable as variations on existing themes with extrapolation.

Part of me wonders if Abrams and Johnson were too in awe of Williams to ask him to write more memorable music.
Old 03-09-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are some great points. The PT was really meant to be a foreshadowing of the OT, to give more insight and significance to the later events by seeing what led to them. Whether or not Lucas succeeded in that storytelling attempt, I do think John Williams' music captured it very well.

The ST, as you say, is very haphazardly constructed, and the music reflects that. Even comments from the TLJ thread about how the filmmakers were still "making up" characters right before filming began proves that point.
Old 03-09-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Agreed the PT's score is one of the highlights of that series. Lots of great stuff in there.
Old 03-14-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Yes, the love theme is very memorable and of course Duel of the Fates will be remembered for decades to come.

And that's a great point about the PT's best strength being to lend weight to the OT. I still enjoy the movies as they are, but watching the OT now is even more enjoyable knowing how everything got to where it did.
Old 03-15-18, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The PT adds no enjoyment to the OT for me. I don't want to think about how bad Qui Gon messed up, not to mention Yoda and Obi Wan. I don't want to be reminded how whiny Anakin was or how great Padme could've been but was ruined over the course of 3 movies. I won't get into the waste that was Dooku.

Duel of the Fates though. Just an awesome theme.
Old 04-21-18, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Couple interesting rumors this week.
Spoiler:
Yoda has a scene with Rey?

Major Legends / EU character possible:
Spoiler:
Casting search for female lead, age 40-50, for role of "Mara". Probably just a codename...

Mara Jade was married to Luke in the EU.

Last edited by Ranger; 04-21-18 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 11:36 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

A couple weeks ago we revealed that Star Wars: Episode IX, which is scheduled to begin production this July, was looking to cast a character going by the name “MARA.” This of course led to speculation that the character COULD be Mara Jade, a popular character from the old Star Wars Expanded Universe. Now we have details on another new lead female lead for the film.

Casting director Nina Gold is on the hunt for an “ethnic female”, with a strong preference for an African-American, 18-26 years old, to portray a character by the name of Caro. Caro is described as having a “captivating naturalness and ease to her manner.” Caro is a “leader and problem solver, smart with a great sense of humor and a strong will. All this comes to her effortlessly. ”

The description we were given for Caro is an interesting one. We’re certainly getting a charismatic character and one whose characteristics could serve her well as either a potential Jedi or as one of the next generation of leaders who were sparked by the heroic stand of the Resistance. With filming set to begin just over two and a half months from now, we should start to hear about casting for this role, the other two leads (including “Mara”) and additional casting before too long.

Star Wars: Episode IX will be directed by JJ Abrams and based on a script from Abrams and Chris Terrio. It is expected in theaters December 20, 2019.
http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/04/e...r-description/
Old 05-01-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What the heck is an "ethnic female"? Every female has some kind of ethnicity.
Old 05-01-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's Hollywood speak for "let's color this film up and check all the boxes for the diversity credit we so desperately need".
Old 05-01-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
What the heck is an "ethnic female"? Every female has some kind of ethnicity.
Not white, basically, or at least very tan.

Old 05-01-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/04/e...r-description/
Casting director Nina Gold is on the hunt for an “ethnic female”, with a strong preference for an African-American, 18-26 years old, to portray a character by the name of Caro. Caro is described as having a “captivating naturalness and ease to her manner.” Caro is a “leader and problem solver, smart with a great sense of humor and a strong will. All this comes to her effortlessly. ”
That's going to drive certain people batshit crazy.
Old 05-02-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's going to drive certain people batshit crazy.
For me, it's seems like they just have too many characters in this Trilogy and that is where it loses focus. Rey was almost MIA for the last half of TLJ after she fought Kylo Ren, and it is because they had to focus on Rose/Finn.

Maybe now that Luke, Leia and Han are out of the picture, the focus on the new characters will give them time for some characters development. The problem is this is the final film in the Trilogy, so the big character development arcs should have been setup in the middle film.

After watching TFA and TLJ, I'm actually of the opinion that I wish Rian Johnson was writing and directing this film, as I feel that JJ is going to goto the well for the fans with many TFA plot points. Maybe have Rey be revealed as a legacy character, or some pointless backstory of Snoke, etc. While many fans don't like Rian Johnson (I hated the movie on first viewing), I think his vision is a lot more interesting then 'vanilla ice cream/play it safe' JJ Abrams.
Old 05-02-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
For me, it's seems like they just have too many characters in this Trilogy and that is where it loses focus. Rey was almost MIA for the last half of TLJ after she fought Kylo Ren, and it is because they had to focus on Rose/Finn.
I think you're forgetting about 2 more major characters that were the actual focus of the last act.

That being said, I kinda agree about adding more character/s to the last movie. In Jedi(Return) the only major addition was the Emperor but his presence was always there from the beginning so it's not like they had to build him up. In Sith, you had Grievous the Throwaway. Or maybe this is just a minor character and we're all just making a big deal because Star Wars.
Old 05-02-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
That being said, I kinda agree about adding more character/s to the last movie. In Jedi(Return) the only major addition was the Emperor but his presence was always there from the beginning so it's not like they had to build him up. In Sith, you had Grievous the Throwaway. Or maybe this is just a minor character and we're all just making a big deal because Star Wars.
Jabba as well but as you said his presence was always there.
Old 05-04-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So there are major Episode 9 plot spoilers leaking around the internet. Supposedly the source was right about many Episode 8 spoilers back in 2016. I would take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

Spoiler:
Old 05-04-18, 01:20 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
So there are major Episode 9 plot spoilers leaking around the internet. Supposedly the source was right about many Episode 8 spoilers back in 2016. I would take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

Sounds really fucking stupid and nonsensical. Especially if
Spoiler:
Leia is playing a factor. Even more so, because this poster says she has been recast. Come on...

This guy is also claiming that the trilogy format is over and the story will just continue with episodes ala Marvel.

Last edited by dex14; 05-04-18 at 01:29 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.