Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Old 09-16-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by coli

And people were asking for Rogue One? Correct me if I’m wrong, but fans wanted another movie about the design of Deathstar following a bunch of unknown characters? Yet the movie made a billion dollars cause it rode the momentum of The Force Awakens (along with a Darth Vader scene that many loved). You release Rogue One in May 2018 and it bombs like Solo.
People were asking for more Star Wars films, yes. I think a lot of fans were uninterested in seeing an iconic character like Han Solo be played by someone other than Harrison Ford. I don't care when it was released, I wait until movies are on home video so I can watch them at home. I have no plans on checking out Solo.
Old 09-16-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I think that was true and I was even among that group of fans not interested in Solo prior to seeing it. The movie changed my mind when I saw it though.
Old 09-16-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Solo had a lot more going against it than Last Jedi. IMHO at least.
Old 09-16-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Solo had a lot more going against it than Last Jedi. IMHO at least.
It definitely did. There was a negative buzz to it basically from announcement. Then later on the directorial change and poor box office take didn’t help it. Looking back at it they probably really should have held back on it for Disney+ (I think a limited series would have been the best route to take) rather than banking on it being a major theatrical film. It might have found its audience better and probably w be seen as such a colossal flop.
Old 09-16-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

And people were asking for Rogue One?
If nobody was asking for Solo, I wonder what they were asking for instead...

Star Wars has the weirdest fucking fandom... most of it bickering about Nobody asked for THIS movie! You just didn't like it because it wasn't the movie you wanted! Nobody wants to see a movie about [insert character here]!

It's fine to like or not like something on its own merits, or criticizing something based on how it fits in or doesn't fit in with established mythology, or how it's written or acted or directed, but so much of Star Wars criticism seems to come down to shouting about what other people want or don't want. It's not about the work itself, but so much of it comes down to "I don't want this! You don't want this! Nobody wants this!"

Old 09-16-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If nobody was asking for Solo, I wonder what they were asking for instead...

Star Wars has the weirdest fucking fandom... most of it bickering about Nobody asked for THIS movie! You just didn't like it because it wasn't the movie you wanted! Nobody wants to see a movie about [insert character here]!

It's fine to like or not like something on its own merits, or criticizing something based on how it fits in or doesn't fit in with established mythology, or how it's written or acted or directed, but so much of Star Wars criticism seems to come down to shouting about what other people want or don't want. It's not about the work itself, but so much of it comes down to "I don't want this! You don't want this! Nobody wants this!"
To be fair, much of that is meant in the "royal we" sense. Like, does the story of the Skywalker saga need this movie? It's hard to answer because Rogue One has extremely limited Skywalker footage but it's still a damn fine movie that I would rank up there with the OT.
Solo? There were multiple novels set during this period that fans really liked, so you can argue there was some demand for this movie, but that demand might have also been for those stories put on film instead of the the total reboot we got.

Old 09-16-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
For some people they don't want a character or franchise overexposed or ruined. Or when films like this explain every little detail which ends up robbing a character of their mystique. Or when this new story or revelation alters the original perception of the character or story. See Greedo shoots first, Midichlorians, etc.

Old 09-16-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sometimes you didn't know you wanted something until you got it.

I can say that, when Rogue One was first announced, I didn't have much interest in a movie about "Rogue Squadron."

But I did like the movie when I saw it. Not my favorite Star Wars movie, but I'm glad we got it.
Old 09-16-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think a lot of the problem Star Wars faces is that it’s creators have burned its fans so many times over. First Lucas’ endless tinkering with the Original Trilogy while never even allowing copies of the unaltered films to exist. Then the Prequel Trilogy, which while I’ve grown to appreciate more and like elements of there’s no kidding ourselves by thinking they’re perfect films. Now Disney comes along and at first it seemed like a good start until they pull the rug out from us with a film that was divisive to say the least.

I don’t think all hope is lost for Star Wars and there’s a lot from it I want to see, but it’s kind of been a up and down relationship between the franchise and it’s fans for years. That being said I do have hope for the future of the franchise. I’m legitimately interested in all the Disney+ shows announced thus far so that at least is a start.
Old 09-16-19, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think a lot of the problem Star Wars faces is that it’s creators have burned its fans so many times over. First Lucas’ endless tinkering with the Original Trilogy while never even allowing copies of the unaltered films to exist. Then the Prequel Trilogy, which while I’ve grown to appreciate more and like elements of there’s no kidding ourselves by thinking they’re perfect films. Now Disney comes along and at first it seemed like a good start until they pull the rug out from us with a film that was divisive to say the least.

I don’t think all hope is lost for Star Wars and there’s a lot from it I want to see, but it’s kind of been a up and down relationship between the franchise and it’s fans for years. That being said I do have hope for the future of the franchise. I’m legitimately interested in all the Disney+ shows announced thus far so that at least is a start.

I'd argue that the fans have unrealistic expectations about these films and place way too much importance on things like not releasing the OT as it was originally released. I used to be one of those people. As I've gotten older, I've come to respect that we got what we got when we got it and that was great. I enjoyed it every step of the way (well, except for the prequels...no excuses for those).

I certainly don't think anyone involved in Star Wars "owes" me anything, like seeing the original cast members together or Luke being a huge Jedi badass instead of a burned-out old man. I'm trying to enjoy these films for what they are. And if I don't like them (like the prequels), then I don't have to continue to watch them and can just wait for the next thing. And if they decided to shut the whole thing down and never release a SW movie again, that's fine too. I've certainly gotten plenty of enjoyment through the years.
Old 09-16-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I think a lot of the problem Star Wars faces is that it’s creators have burned its fans so many times over. First Lucas’ endless tinkering with the Original Trilogy while never even allowing copies of the unaltered films to exist.

I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but the "problem" started with the original trilogy. First one was a game changer, second one somehow managed to elevate the material despite playing it by ear with the story and resorting to some cheap soap opera twist. The third one though was some bullshit from a story perspective.

TLJ is a better film than ROTJ. Everything else is just nostalgia. We want the new Star Wars to be how we envisioned it would be when we were kids.

Old 09-16-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
I'd argue that the fans have unrealistic expectations about these films and place way too much importance on things like not releasing the OT as it was originally released. I used to be one of those people. As I've gotten older, I've come to respect that we got what we got when we got it and that was great. I enjoyed it every step of the way (well, except for the prequels...no excuses for those).

I certainly don't think anyone involved in Star Wars "owes" me anything, like seeing the original cast members together or Luke being a huge Jedi badass instead of a burned-out old man. I'm trying to enjoy these films for what they are. And if I don't like them (like the prequels), then I don't have to continue to watch them and can just wait for the next thing. And if they decided to shut the whole thing down and never release a SW movie again, that's fine too. I've certainly gotten plenty of enjoyment through the years.
Why is it always with the assumption that those of us who didn’t like how Luke was handled wanted him to be this ultra Jedi badass with epic fight scenes or something? I really don’t understand why it has to be one of those two options to choose from. My only real expectation of Luke was that he’d help train Rey (maybe hesitantly) and possibly be involved in some way in an altercation with one of the villains where he’d either be struck down or injured where Rey would take the lead. I didn’t want Rey’s thunder to be stolen, I just wanted Luke in a more involved fashion in some way with one of the main altercations.

As far as unrealistic expectations or feeling owed something, yeah totally unrealistic to expect an iconic character to be treated with a a bit more respect in a franchise that was built on said character. I’m way out of line there.

I’m a lot more open to whatever comes as I said and have liked the majority of Disney Star Wars thus far. Also again as I just mentioned I’m interested in the Disney+ content (The Mandalorian and also the Obi-Wan and Cassian shows).

Last edited by Mike86; 09-16-19 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 06:31 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe I saw a different movie. Didn’t Luke do all of those things? He wasn’t struck down, but eh, seems pretty close to your wishes.
Old 09-16-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by brack
maybe i saw a different movie. Didn’t luke do all of those things? He wasn’t struck down, but eh, seems pretty close to your wishes.
YEP. He certainly did!
Old 09-16-19, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie

TLJ is a better film than ROTJ. Everything else is just nostalgia. We want the new Star Wars to be how we envisioned it would be when we were kids.
But TFA and TLJ were just nostalgia. There's nothing new in either of those movies. The ST is just recycling stuff from the OT. They're even bringing Palpatine back in the next one.

TLJ was just a remake of ESB. Evaculate the rebel base. The empire strikes back. The heroes get separated. The novice Jedi goes to train with a cranky old master. Throw in some AT-ATs salty Hoth, and the throne room scene from ROTJ. Nothing new there.

It's not that I want new Star Wars to be what I saw when I was a kid, I want it to go beyond what it was three decades ago, continue the story and go to some new places, not just recycle the old movies. The ST is just a bunch of lazy-assed shit that repackages nostalgia and pretends its something new. It's a complete sham.

Old 09-16-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

The real genius behind these new movies IMO (at least the first three they made, not Solo) was choosing to release them at Christmas in the U.S., TFA especially. Have something that relies on nostalgia? Release it at the time of year when people are probably feeling the most nostalgic. Only issue is that once the whole nostalgic trip is over, one realizes there wasn't much to see. Definite case of emperor's clothes (no pun intended).
Old 09-16-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I still want a LOTR sequel where we find that Sauron made a second "one ring to rule them all".
Old 09-16-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

So you’re saying Snoke/Rey/Kylo Throne Room scene is better than The Emperor/Vader/Luke Throne Room Scene? Cause TLJ essentially rips off that scene. Crait battle is essentially ripped off from ESB battle. Rey going to see Luke is essentially ripped off from ESB. DJ betraying Rose/Finn is essentially ripped off from Lando betraying Han/ Leia.

TLJ has a chance to take the Saga in a new direction if Rey took Kylo’s offer as that opens up a whole new story for Episode 9. But the movie ends with Rey/Good Guy, Kylo/Villain, and Resistance vs First Order.

Last edited by coli; 09-16-19 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I wonder if Lucas had made the films starting with The Phantom Menace if by the time we got to Empire if he would have decided to shit all over the Yoda character the same way that Johnson did with Luke? Empire and TLJ being basically the same film and all.

That throne room fight in TLJ is awful. It just seems like Johnson realized that he had to have a lightsaber fight in the film so he wedged it in.
Old 09-16-19, 08:02 PM

People would have been like “Why are you making Yoda so goofy in Empire when he was totally bad ass in AOTC and ROTS?”
Old 09-16-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
Maybe I saw a different movie. Didn’t Luke do all of those things? He wasn’t struck down, but eh, seems pretty close to your wishes.
Originally Posted by Draven

YEP. He certainly did!
I truly don’t understand why people who are pro that film continually have to prod. I let others have their opinion without poking fun at them while sharing mine. Seems like the hostility is more from the side of your guys’ side of the camp.

YOU didn’t like it so clearly YOU didn’t understand it or something must be wrong with YOU or YOUR opinion. Get bent with that.

I’ve given reasons, I’m fairly certain you both know them. Yes, what I said happened in a certain sense, but it was done in a completely different way than I would have wanted or expected. If that works for you guys then fine. I don’t really give a rat’s ass. It didn’t for me and I’m able to hold that opinion.
Old 09-16-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I truly don’t understand why people who are pro that film continually have to prod. I let others have their opinion without poking fun at them while making my observations. Seems like the hostility is more from the side of your camp. You didn’t like it so clearly YOU didn’t understand it or something must be wrong with YOU or YOUR opinion.

Ive given reasons, I’m fairly certain you both know them. Yes, what I said happened in a certain sense, but it was done in a completely different way than I would have wanted or expected. If that works for you guys then fine. I don’t really give a rat’s ass. It didn’t for me and I’m able to hold that opinion.
Dont worry these were the same guys who shit on the Prequels for years and years and now they don’t like that people didn’t like TLJ so they give the same argument as the Prequel defenders, “You didn’t like it cause it didn’t jive with the story you built up in your head all those years.”. Oh the irony.....
Old 09-16-19, 08:37 PM

I truly don’t understand why people who are pro that film continually have to prod. I let others have their opinion without poking fun at them while sharing mine. Seems like the hostility is more from the side of your guys’ side of the camp.

YOU didn’t like it so clearly YOU didn’t understand it or something must be wrong with YOU or YOUR opinion. Get bent with that.

I’ve given reasons, I’m fairly certain you both know them. Yes, what I said happened in a certain sense, but it was done in a completely different way than I would have wanted or expected. If that works for you guys then fine. I don’t really give a rat’s ass. It didn’t for me and I’m able to hold that opinion.
Don't assume I know what you failed to express in a way that is understandable. I still don’t understand. When you express certain criteria, said criteria was evident, and it still wasn’t what you wanted..I come back to “Huh?” That’s fine if it’s not what you wanted, whatever, but don’t pretend like what you’re saying makes sense to everyone just because you think it does.
Old 09-16-19, 08:42 PM

Dont worry these were the same guys who shit on the Prequels for years and years and now they don’t like that people didn’t like TLJ so they give the same argument as the Prequel defenders, “You didn’t like it cause it didn’t jive with the story you built up in your head all those years.”. Oh the irony.....
Hmmm, not me. Sorry there.
Old 09-16-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack

Don't assume I know what you failed to express in a way that is understandable. I still don’t understand. When you express certain criteria, said criteria was evident, and it still wasn’t what you wanted..I come back to “Huh?” That’s fine if it’s not what you wanted, whatever, but don’t pretend like what you’re saying makes sense to everyone just because you think it does.
I’ve said it on more than one occasion and have went into more detail previously, more so in the reviews thread for The Last Jedi. You’ve only recently started to chime in with feeling the need to attack me or others who share my opinion so I shouldn’t have to repeat myself.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.