Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Old 12-28-16, 10:17 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,665
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Bring back Boushh... problem solved.

Goldberg74 is offline  
Old 12-28-16, 10:46 PM
  #127  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,037
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I think that addressing Leia's passing in the opening crawl is the best way to go. Make her loss a central point that helps unify the Resistance in her memory.

It wouldn't just be the crawl, however, it could be the focal point for the story - honoring Leia's memory by defeating the First Order. Refusing to give up when things get the most difficult, just like Leia would. She would be mentioned several times in the movie if they do it right.
B5Erik is offline  
Old 12-28-16, 11:47 PM
  #128  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,033
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Leia could be sebetely injured in space ship crash between VIII and IX, and in order to keep her alive, she'll need to be put in a Darth Vader suit.

Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 01:04 AM
  #129  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,653
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I hope she gets frozen in carbonite in VIII.

Seriously though, you guys are writing about solutions when you don't even know what the problem will be, or if there even is one.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 09:49 AM
  #130  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,390
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I say, if possible, do some additional shots for VIII that shows her death. Maybe a ship she's in gets destroyed.

Start the crawl for IX with "Following the death of General Organa.."
TomOpus is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 11:11 AM
  #131  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,683
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

again, no way they give Leia a violent death now. It would come off as way too insensitive.
TGM is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 11:41 AM
  #132  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,390
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

1) They don't have to actually show her dying, like Solo.

2) The movie isn't coming out for another year. Not sure how "now" that would be.
TomOpus is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 12:12 PM
  #133  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,138
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I say, if possible, do some additional shots for VIII that shows her death. Maybe a ship she's in gets destroyed.

Start the crawl for IX with "Following the death of General Organa.."
For anyone who has been following spoilers for VIII:

Spoiler:
Apparently Leia's ship is attacked at some point and she ends up in a coma (per a report from Making Star Wars). If true, that puts the filmmakers in a sticky situation -- especially if the character's fate is still in limbo by the end of the film. Sure, it would give them a convenient exit for the character. But as TGM mentioned, it would probably come off as too insensitive given the real life circumstances of Fisher's death.

I figure a recast is out of the question, but it seems Leia would have played a crucial role in the Kylo Ren storyarc. Since we can assume that will all come to a head in IX, I hope the writers can find a way to create a satisfying emotional conclusion without her.
joe_b is online now  
Old 12-29-16, 12:29 PM
  #134  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,800
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Disney should hire a medical team to follow Mark Hamill around for the next two years. Same thing for Harrison Ford if they are actually making another Indiana Jones movie.
windom is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 01:01 PM
  #135  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,661
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Disney should hire a medical team to follow Mark Hamill around for the next two years. Same thing for Harrison Ford if they are actually making another Indiana Jones movie.
Dude, Harrison Ford nearly died during filming of The Force Awakens due to a set accident. There's really no way to entirely prevent this sort of situation from happening.

Also, Carrie Fisher had medical attention right away; the issue was more they were still up in the air:
http://www.slashfilm.com/carrie-fisher-heart-attack/
The actress, best known for her role as Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy, went into cardiac arrest near the end of the flight. Medically-trained passengers on board administered CPR for the final 15 minutes before the plane landed at LAX.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 12-31-16, 12:00 AM
  #136  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,800
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

According to the Daily Mail, Disney will receive a $50 million insurance payout due to Fisher not being able to finish the series. I imagine they must have taken out policies for everyone in the cast like that. I guess an accident could happen to anyone at any time. I imagine that Harrison Ford is quite expensive to insurance after his plane crash.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ars-films.html
windom is offline  
Old 12-31-16, 08:03 PM
  #137  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,236
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Disney gets $50 million. Jesus, I hope they donate some of that to some kind of heart disease charity or something.
Deadman31 is online now  
Old 12-31-16, 08:51 PM
  #138  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,539
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I can't remember how much, but Universal got a big payout after Paul Walker died.
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 12-31-16, 09:07 PM
  #139  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,723
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Think Disney will sitll stick with Colin Trevorrow? Wondering if the cast wanted to work with Rian Johnson or J.J. Abrams again.
Ranger is offline  
Old 12-31-16, 09:08 PM
  #140  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,701
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by windom View Post
According to the Daily Mail, Disney will receive a $50 million insurance payout due to Fisher not being able to finish the series. I imagine they must have taken out policies for everyone in the cast like that. I guess an accident could happen to anyone at any time. I imagine that Harrison Ford is quite expensive to insurance after his plane crash.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ars-films.html
It should go to charity and Billie Lorde.
OldBoy is online now  
Old 01-01-17, 07:57 AM
  #141  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,690
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Disney gets $50 million. Jesus, I hope they donate some of that to some kind of heart disease charity or something.
They'll probably just use it to cover the costs of recreating her in CGI for Episode IX
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 01:25 PM
  #142  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,653
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
It should go to charity and Billie Lorde.
Why? That's not how completion bonds and production insurance works. Disney buys insurance to cover themselves in the event of a loss, not to behave as some sort of charity.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 02:01 PM
  #143  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,832
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

But why not? I'm sure the heir to at least a good piece of an Eddie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds, and Carrie Fisher fortune will probably be pretty hard up for money.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 02:08 PM
  #144  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,661
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Why? That's not how completion bonds and production insurance works. Disney buys insurance to cover themselves in the event of a loss, not to behave as some sort of charity.
I think the people reacting are feeling that it's in poor taste for a company to benefit financially from the death of someone. Of course, they're only looking at the insurance payout end of how her death affected Disney, and not how they've been economically harmed.

For example, lets say Carrie Fisher's 3 film contract was an upfront payment for all three films, and in the event of her death her estate wouldn't have to pay anything back. The insurance could be partially to cover the money they basically lost due to paying her for a 3rd film she wont be performing in now.

And now they'll also have to adjust their plan for Ep IX, which could mean paying for additional drafts of the screenplay, increase preproduction work, meaning more workhours to pay for, possibly having to hire another actor to fill her role or play a new character that takes Leia's place in the story, or even possibly CGI the role.

I'm sure Carrie Fisher herself probably had a life insurance policy, and it wasn't like she was broke. Billie Lorde will be fine, financially speaking.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 03:17 PM
  #145  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,812
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I think the people reacting are feeling that it's in poor taste for a company to benefit financially from the death of someone. Of course, they're only looking at the insurance payout end of how her death affected Disney, and not how they've been economically harmed.

For example, lets say Carrie Fisher's 3 film contract was an upfront payment for all three films, and in the event of her death her estate wouldn't have to pay anything back. The insurance could be partially to cover the money they basically lost due to paying her for a 3rd film she wont be performing in now.

And now they'll also have to adjust their plan for Ep IX, which could mean paying for additional drafts of the screenplay, increase preproduction work, meaning more workhours to pay for, possibly having to hire another actor to fill her role or play a new character that takes Leia's place in the story, or even possibly CGI the role.

I'm sure Carrie Fisher herself probably had a life insurance policy, and it wasn't like she was broke. Billie Lorde will be fine, financially speaking.
Not to mention her father's net worth is approx. $35 mil.
dex14 is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 04:02 PM
  #146  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 6,341
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
But why not? I'm sure the heir to at least a good piece of an Eddie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds, and Carrie Fisher fortune will probably be pretty hard up for money.
Debbie lost her fortune twice to husbands, later in life, who swindled her or gambled it away.
I wouldn't be surprised if her living standard was maintained more by Carrie than anything else later on.

Though she did not too long ago auction off all the props and costumes from old Hollywood she had collected/saved through the years. But it also must have taken a lot of coin to warehouse and properly store those for so long too.

In any case, I doubt she was actually 'rich' by Hollywood superstar standards.
Paul_SD is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 04:52 PM
  #147  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,082
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I'd guess they both had personal life insurance. Their family will be fine
Double_Oh_7 is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 05:04 PM
  #148  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,683
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I'd actually like to see them recast the part and have it go to either of her 1/2 sisters who are actresses, Joely or Tricia Leigh Fisher. Sure, they don't look much like Carrie, but by keeping it in the family I'm sure that fans would understand and embrace it, especially if Leia was going to play an important role in episode 9 and if it makes more sense to the overall story arc to keep General Leia alive.
TGM is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 05:27 PM
  #149  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Roswell
Posts: 2,345
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Actually, a lot of companies insure their employees, entertainment industry or no. What I would love to know is how the same actuaries can recommend for insuring and at the same time set a reasonable price.
stp115 is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 06:19 PM
  #150  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 6,341
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
I'd actually like to see them recast the part and have it go to either of her 1/2 sisters who are actresses, Joely or Tricia Leigh Fisher. Sure, they don't look much like Carrie, but by keeping it in the family I'm sure that fans would understand and embrace it, especially if Leia was going to play an important role in episode 9 and if it makes more sense to the overall story arc to keep General Leia alive.
Speaking solely for myself, recasting it like that would be distracting as hell and definitely take me out of the moment anytime the character was on screen.

IMO, while they've been backed into a corner by this, there are still opportunities to at the very least minimize the damage.

For one thing, VIII still isn't in the can yet. Everything that was shot for her, including alternate set ups for the same scene, can, with some ingenuity and possible CG assistance, be repurposed to extend her part.
This includes things like simply re-looping new dialogue (from other characters) over basic reaction shots of hers, or even using CG to alter the background of the scenes she's in now.

Additionally they might be able to use only half the screen time intended in VIII and follow that up with the rest in IX to at least carry her performance over for the finish of the trilogy. They would have to find a way somehow to send the character out appropriately- even if that amounts to little more than another "good luck on your mission, followed by a longer silent close up as she watches whomever depart.

If their only concern is making the release date, the options are restricted. If Disney would be willing to budget an extra six months post production time ( I know, that screws up the licenses...) I'd bet they'd be able to address this relatively seamlessly though not without changes to their initial plans.
Paul_SD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.