Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 05:05 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Count me in as someone who liked the OT lightsaber battles over the PT’s calisthenics battles, which were neat as first but then became endless battles, and quite frankly boring.
Old 05-14-19, 06:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Vader on fire not giving a shit is an awesome touch.
Old 05-14-19, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't think this is similar to the PT fights at all. They aren't acrobatic or excessively athletic. This version they are swinging hard and forceful. Decades of pent up angst between the two finally being released.

personally, I love it.
Old 05-14-19, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I liked it. Very much in line with ESB and RoTJ in that the 2 were going after each other and actually trying to hurt each other. It wasn't a ballet like the PT showed them to be.
Old 05-14-19, 10:33 AM

Just watched a couple of minutes of that battle. It was okay, kind of on the same level as Rogue One, though I never really cared for that Vader scene, as it just seemed like special effects and didn’t go well with the OT.
Old 05-14-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Just watched a couple of minutes of that battle. It was okay, kind of on the same level as Rogue One, though I never really cared for that Vader scene, as it just seemed like special effects and didn’t go well with the OT.
I like the Rogue One scene. It was cool to see Vader in his prime in rage mode.
Old 05-14-19, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86

I like the Rogue One scene. It was cool to see Vader in his prime in rage mode.
Oh I know I’m in the minority about that.
Old 05-14-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I liked it. Very much in line with ESB and RoTJ in that the 2 were going after each other and actually trying to hurt each other. It wasn't a ballet like the PT showed them to be.
As cool as the lightsaber battles are in the PT, I think that’s the problem as well. Those fights looked like well choreographed exhibitions. Compare those dances to theThrone Room scene in Jedi where Like loses his ever-loving mind and swings on Vader like he’s chopping wood. THAT was a lightsaber fight!
Old 05-15-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Old 05-15-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

As cool as the lightsaber battles are in the PT, I think that’s the problem as well. Those fights looked like well choreographed exhibitions. Compare those dances to theThrone Room scene in Jedi where Like loses his ever-loving mind and swings on Vader like he’s chopping wood. THAT was a lightsaber fight!
I guess we can put it on GL for not making it clear, but that's kinda how the themes of the PT and OT are supposed to differ: the PT is all follow the rules and work within the system and they get bushwhacked by a Sith lord existing right under their noses, while the OT is a farmboy, a smuggler, a Wookie and a pissed off princess telling the Empire where they can stick it. The lightsaber battles reflect that overall feel.

And I love the Vader rampage scene in Rogue One. I've mentioned my love for Rogue One overall here before*, and this is certainly part of it. We see the deaths of the Rogue One crew, and you think it can't get any darker, then the floor drops out from under you and then, only then, do we see the light of hope at the end.

*I created a tumblr account years ago to follow some Magic: The Gathering people, but now the only thing I consistently reblog is Rogue One gifs and pictures. The search term is #always reblog rogue one if you're interested.
Old 05-15-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The Super Rise of Skywalker video is awesome!
I got a chance to play the Super Star Wars games by Lucas Arts and the quality was top notch. Usually movie-licensed games weren't very good back then,

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I guess we can put it on GL for not making it clear, but that's kinda how the themes of the PT and OT are supposed to differ: the PT is all follow the rules and work within the system and they get bushwhacked by a Sith lord existing right under their noses, while the OT is a farmboy, a smuggler, a Wookie and a pissed off princess telling the Empire where they can stick it. The lightsaber battles reflect that overall feel.
That's definitely an interesting take.

I think the ballerina-style lightsaber duels were most noticeable with Darth Maul. There's one time when he lands on his feet like he's an ice skater landing from a triple axel, arms extended trying to impress the judges.

Old 05-15-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

Super Star Wars is a great game, but holy shit is it challenging. Some of those retro games were (still are) just relentless. Never played the sequels (didn’t have an SNES growing up).
Old 05-15-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't think this is similar to the PT fights at all. They aren't acrobatic or excessively athletic. This version they are swinging hard and forceful. Decades of pent up angst between the two finally being released.

personally, I love it.
Me too - helps it fit better with the prequels/sequels fighting style. A New Hope looks geriatric by comparison (and it was - an old guy fighting with a guy in a bulky costume swinging light up sticks at each other that barely got replaced in post). I don’t subscribe any special meaning to that style of fighting - if GL could have done something like that clip above in 1977, he would have. It’s just a limitation of the time period. I LOVE the reimagined fight - felt like two masters fighting to the death.
Old 05-16-19, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm surprised no one has really mentioned that I think we got our first kill with Kylo Ren's cross guards. So maybe they aren't as useless as people thought.
Old 05-16-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

Me too - helps it fit better with the prequels/sequels fighting style. A New Hope looks geriatric by comparison (and it was - an old guy fighting with a guy in a bulky costume swinging light up sticks at each other that barely got replaced in post). I don’t subscribe any special meaning to that style of fighting - if GL could have done something like that clip above in 1977, he would have. It’s just a limitation of the time period. I LOVE the reimagined fight - felt like two masters fighting to the death.
In fairness to the 1977 Lightsaber Fight, the context of the Lightsaber was different then. Lucas, Mark Hamill, David Prowse, Alec Guiness have all talked about how they were originally more like Excalibur (heavy Lightsabers like heavy Swords) so the fight was supposed to be slow like that. It was Kirshner who changed the style in 1980 for ESB as Vader is now fighting with one hand (which he purposely didn't do in the first movie because they are supposed to be so heavy), so the battle reflects that in being much more faster and better.
Old 05-16-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coli
In fairness to the 1977 Lightsaber Fight, the context of the Lightsaber was different then. Lucas, Mark Hamill, David Prowse, Alec Guiness have all talked about how they were originally more like Excalibur (heavy Lightsabers like heavy Swords) so the fight was supposed to be slow like that. It was Kirshner who changed the style in 1980 for ESB as Vader is now fighting with one hand (which he purposely didn't do in the first movie because they are supposed to be so heavy), so the battle reflects that in being much more faster and better.
I remember reading that. I thought it was just Lucas retconning things things, but when you re-watch that scene, it makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-16-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
I'm surprised no one has really mentioned that I think we got our first kill with Kylo Ren's cross guards. So maybe they aren't as useless as people thought.
I caught that too - I've never understood the hate on the crossguards. I thought they looked cool and would help keep a lightsaber from sliding down the blade to his wrist.
Old 05-16-19, 03:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They look dumb. That’s why I hate them.
Old 05-16-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
They look dumb. That’s why I hate them.
I like them. I like how they look sputtery and not uniform...as "crazy" as he is.
Old 05-16-19, 03:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I’m hoping Kylo will lose a thumb in this movie. Serves him right for having crazy looking crossguards.
Old 05-16-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It was Kirshner who changed the style in 1980 for ESB as Vader is now fighting with one hand (which he purposely didn't do in the first movie because they are supposed to be so heavy), so the battle reflects that in being much more faster and better.
Vader is fighting one-handed in ESB to disrespect Luke and show him he can beat him one-handed. You notice he eventually has to switch to two hands.
Old 05-16-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I caught that too -
I was like, what are you guys talking about??
I just saw the trailer again and that looks pretty cool.

I've never understood the hate on the crossguards. I thought they looked cool and would help keep a lightsaber from sliding down the blade to his wrist.
They wouldn't because the cross guards start out as metal like the rest of the handle. So if a another lightsaber slid down, it would just cut the crossbar exhaust pipes off and Kylo's fingers along with them too.
I also didn't like that it looked too reminiscent of traditional, medieval broadswords.

But in the long run, it was a good design choice. We saw hundreds of lightsabers all at once in the PT and they started look like glow stick whiffle bats. Making Kylo's lightsaber different makes us forget about the ballerinas with whiffle bats, and it makes him stand out from Rey and all other Jedi and Sith.
Old 05-17-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Vader is fighting one-handed in ESB to disrespect Luke and show him he can beat him one-handed. You notice he eventually has to switch to two hands.
Yeah I had posted that but had forgotten it changed as early as in ESB. That's really cool about that subtle change. I never noticed that.
Old 05-17-19, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Sidebar for a moment, but I thought this was cool. Someone re-imagined the original Kenobi-Vader fight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/to2SMng4u1k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I generally believe that fan fiction of any sort is universally shit. After seeing heaps of it over the years, that’s just my default position.

But I like this. It’s fun.
Old 05-22-19, 08:45 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

There’s more info and pics in the thread and links:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.