Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 12:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I can see this in the movie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D-Sv6fu-udU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-22-19, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I can see this in the movie.
Most of these fan-made parodies (especially the Star Wars ones) are pretty stupid - this one's pretty darn good.
Old 02-22-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Please keep TLJ bitching out of here. Go run circles again in that thread if you want.

Tapley works for Variety:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
A Star Wars western?

Old 02-22-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

A Star Wars western?

In Serenity the operative kills Shepard Book and other friends of Mal's. I wonder why Mal didn't just give River to the Alliance and then go to an island to pout and die?
Old 02-22-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
in serenity the operative kills shepard book and other friends of mal's. I wonder why mal didn't just give river to the alliance and then go to an island to pout and die?
"Speaking of Solo Cups....."
Old 02-22-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would be interested what you guys feel if they go the 'Rey-Lo' route for Episode 9? I've been reading alot of fans on social media who want JJ to essentially have Rey to redeem Kylo Ren at the end of Episode 9 and than they become a couple. I don't know that just feels weird to me, but maybe you guys can shed a different perspective on it that I'm not seeing? Also, if they are going to redeem Kylo Ren (or make it a plotline in Episode 9) who is going to be the villain of the movie, because somebody is going to have to be the threat to Rey and the Resistance since Snoke is gone?
Old 02-22-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How would redeeming Kylo Ren work? If they do have Ben and Rey get married there should be an after credit scene where they are sitting around the dinner table and one of the kids says 'I sure would have like to have met grandpa" and then fade to black.
Old 02-22-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

For me, they have their work cut out for them if they want to wrap everything up for Episode IX.
Are they going to explain why he turned bad, and how Snoke tempted him to the dark side?
What could have been his reasoning for wanting to go down that path, since it seems like the galaxy was in relative peace.
Maybe the Knights of Ren will play a big part in that, and that will lead up to the next trilogy that's being helmed by Rian Johnson.

I don't think they'll have Ben and Rey get back together. But it would have really subverted expectations had Rey and Kylo went off together at the end of TLJ. But then we don't get the final battle and Luke's send off.
Anyway, yeah, Kylo's done too much to be redeemed and get married with Rey.

I'm guessing that...
Spoiler:

We'll find out that Snoke, Kylo and the Knights of Ren wanted to keep knowledge of the Force, to themselves, partly to keep the chaotic galaxy under control, partly to just hoard it like the 1%. They feared that the awakening of the Force, and teaching it to so many would lead to "un-deservings" have access to a power that would threaten their own position in the galaxy.

We'll be introduced to the Knights of Ren, and we'll find out they're far more sadistic than Kylo.
Kylo will probably end up being critically injured or killed trying to defend Rey from the Knights of Ren, but she'll end up finishing the job herself. Kylo will lament his path via dying last words to Rey.
The resistance will win, but we'll find out there's something else behind Snoke/The Knights of Ren/The Darkside of the Force, and we'll see Rey and company freeing the child slaves from that Las Vegas planet, and it's going to be implied that not only will these kids be the next generation of Jedi, but many others have the Force ability as well. Maybe Finn will display some kind of connection to the Force in this film, that might lead to the possibility of him being the lead in Rian's upcoming trilogy.
Old 02-22-19, 04:35 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
How would redeeming Kylo Ren work? If they do have Ben and Rey get married there should be an after credit scene where they are sitting around the dinner table and one of the kids says 'I sure would have like to have met grandpa" and then fade to black.
​​​​​​​Oh, Truffaut is directing?
Old 02-22-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Reylo would be a travesty. It's the worst kind of mansplaining, women-hating misogyny - that Rey only exists to redeem the "poor, misunderstood" Ben Solo.

I could get Kylo getting a scene where he realizes he's been horrible and maybe pulls back a bit, but getting together with Rey would be atrocious.
Old 02-23-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Not sure which SW thread this should belong in, so it's just going here.

Amazing montage of Luke's journey:
Old 02-23-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'm guessing that...
Spoiler:
We'll be introduced to the Knights of Ren, and we'll find out they're far more sadistic than Kylo.
Kylo will probably end up being critically injured or killed trying to defend Rey from the Knights of Ren, but she'll end up finishing the job herself. Kylo will lament his path via dying last words to Rey.
The resistance will win, but we'll find out there's something else behind Snoke/The Knights of Ren/The Darkside of the Force, and we'll see Rey and company freeing the child slaves from that Las Vegas planet, and it's going to be implied that not only will these kids be the next generation of Jedi, but many others have the Force ability as well. Maybe Finn will display some kind of connection to the Force in this film, that might lead to the possibility of him being the lead in Rian's upcoming trilogy.
Spoiler:
The part about the Knights of Ren being more sadistic than Kylo himself and Kylo sacrifing himself to save Rey who’s critically injured makes sense to me. I really don’t know how else you redeem him if it’s not something along those lines.

I’m sure some are going to complain that: “Rey shouldn’t need a man to save her”, but Luke was shown to be weak and needed Vader to save him. I don’t see how that’s really different.

The last bit about the kids on Canto Bight is a bit eye roll inducing though. I kind of hope they don’t revisit anything there in IX.
Old 02-23-19, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Reylo would be a travesty. It's the worst kind of mansplaining, women-hating misogyny - that Rey only exists to redeem the "poor, misunderstood" Ben Solo.
I don't get the Rey-Lo thing either but I have seen ALOT of people on social media have this on their 'wish list' for Episode 9. I've noticed more women than men on social media who want Rey-Lo (That is not scientific, so I am just stating what I see out there among the fans). . I never knew this storyline was even possiblity or even that fans would want something like this, but there is segment of the fanbase (how big or small I don't know) that want THIS to happen.

Here is a YT video discussing Rey-Lo and why they think it's going to happen:

Old 02-23-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe that is how they write out Leia in Episode IX. Ben and Rey end up together and Leia throws up her hands and says fuck it and goes to an island to die.
Old 02-23-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

For me, they have their work cut out for them if they want to wrap everything up for Episode IX.
Are they going to explain why he turned bad, and how Snoke tempted him to the dark side?
What could have been his reasoning for wanting to go down that path, since it seems like the galaxy was in relative peace.
Maybe the Knights of Ren will play a big part in that, and that will lead up to the next trilogy that's being helmed by Rian Johnson.

I don't think they'll have Ben and Rey get back together. But it would have really subverted expectations had Rey and Kylo went off together at the end of TLJ. But then we don't get the final battle and Luke's send off.
Anyway, yeah, Kylo's done too much to be redeemed and get married with Rey.

I'm guessing that...
Spoiler:

We'll find out that Snoke, Kylo and the Knights of Ren wanted to keep knowledge of the Force, to themselves, partly to keep the chaotic galaxy under control, partly to just hoard it like the 1%. They feared that the awakening of the Force, and teaching it to so many would lead to "un-deservings" have access to a power that would threaten their own position in the galaxy.

You refer to an upcoming trilogy, presumably Episodes 10-12 , headed by Rian Johnson, that would continue the story of some of the established characters. Where did you hear about this? The only rumor which I''ve heard involving Johnson, was one where he would create a whole separate SW story, not involving any current characters.
Old 02-23-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
You refer to an upcoming trilogy, presumably Episodes 10-12 , headed by Rian Johnson, that would continue the story of some of the established characters. Where did you hear about this? The only rumor which I''ve heard involving Johnson, was one where he would create a whole separate SW story, not involving any current characters.
That’s what I remember hearing about Johnson’s proposed trilogy as well, that it would take place in another part of the Star Wars galaxy and be unconnected to anything we’ve seen.

But after Solo underperformed, it looks like they’ve put everything Star Wars film on hold for now, waiting to see what the response to IX is.

I fear that, after IX comes out, the powers that be at Disney will look at the box office returns and, in their infinite wisdom, decide that all Star Wars movies will be numbered saga entries, and everything else gets dumped to Disney+.

Which, if that happens, would mean that if Johnson’s trilogy gets made it would be X-XI-XII or XIII-XIV-XV, depending on whether it comes before or after Weiss & Benioff’s trilogy.
Old 02-23-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86

Spoiler:
The part about the Knights of Ren being more sadistic than Kylo himself and Kylo sacrifing himself to save Rey who’s critically injured makes sense to me. I really don’t know how else you redeem him if it’s not something along those lines.

I’m sure some are going to complain that: “Rey shouldn’t need a man to save her”, but Luke was shown to be weak and needed Vader to save him. I don’t see how that’s really different.

The last bit about the kids on Canto Bight is a bit eye roll inducing though. I kind of hope they don’t revisit anything there in IX.
Spoiler:

I can't see Kylo saving Rey. It's not a good look. He'll probably turn on his own knights when it looks like they'll kill her, but she'll be the one to actually succeed in killing the "Jedi Killers." They don't want to revert back to the damsel-in-distress cliche.

As far as the kids go, it seems weird that Finn and Rose left those kids as slaves, while freeing the space horses, so that's why I think they'll return to it. Plus, I think they want to make the Force more inclusive, power-to-the-people and all that, so that might be a way to make that connection.

Originally Posted by clappj
​​​​​​You refer to an upcoming trilogy, presumably Episodes 10-12 , headed by Rian Johnson, that would continue the story of some of the established characters. Where did you hear about this? The only rumor which I''ve heard involving Johnson, was one where he would create a whole separate SW story, not involving any current characters.
I haven't been keeping up with it. I just assumed that the new SW story was going to be films, and that it would be more episodes. The rest is just me guessing what could happen.
Old 02-23-19, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I fear that, after IX comes out, the powers that be at Disney will look at the box office returns and, in their infinite wisdom, decide that all Star Wars movies will be numbered saga entries, and everything else gets dumped to Disney+..
Even though I enjoy the Standalones more, I just don't think they will ever resonate the same as the Saga movies among the masses (These movies are really made for the diehards). The problem is the Saga movies only sell to the masses because the Trilogies comes out every 10-15 years so it builds up anticipation. The PT was able to sell the rise of Darth Vader for 3 movies, so the masses came out no matter how bad the movies were. Lucas could have never sold 5-6 PT movies in that same timeframe as the 3 movies/3 years apart anticipation sold itself. The same with the ST as Luke, Leia and Han sold this Trilogy to the masses as they are not turning out for Rey, Finn and Poe. Episode 9 still sells to the masses when the trailers show Lando returning, Force Ghost Luke and old footage Leia.

Even if they call the Game of Thrones Creators or Rian Johnson's Trilogy Episode 10,11,12, it will not sell as big simply because there is no more OT nostalgia left, along with the fact that there won't be that 10-15 years anticipation between films. As big as SW is (it is the most popular franchise ever) it really relies on Nostalgia as a brand to get the masses to care. Just watch any Trailer Reaction on YouTube and fans go crazy when they show The Falcon, Han/Chewy, Vader, Luke, but they don't really get juiced when they show any new characters. It's really amazing that the franchise is still this big 40 years later when it essentially relies on 3 movies made from 77-83.
Old 02-23-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:

I can't see Kylo saving Rey. It's not a good look. He'll probably turn on his own knights when it looks like they'll kill her, but she'll be the one to actually succeed in killing the "Jedi Killers." They don't want to revert back to the damsel-in-distress cliche.

As far as the kids go, it seems weird that Finn and Rose left those kids as slaves, while freeing the space horses, so that's why I think they'll return to it. Plus, I think they want to make the Force more inclusive, power-to-the-people and all that, so that might be a way to make that connection.
Spoiler:
Maybe it’ll be something along the lines of Kylo and the Knights of Ren are in a battle with Rey. Kylo turns on the Knights in a last ditch effort to try and convert Rey to his side. She doesn’t go along with it and then in turn she escapes while the Knights take out Kylo.

I don’t see Rey taking anyone out as then that makes her look more like a villain. I don’t think Kylo sacrificing himself for Rey would be bad as a redemption though either. People are so concerned about having to show strong females now days and act as though it’s horrible if they’re shown to have vulnerabilities. Rey has been pretty much more powerful than any Jedi shown with very little training. I don’t think we have to worry too much about her being perceived as weak.

I don’t know about the kids. I still don’t like that. It comes across corny to me. I don’t like the idea that just suddenly anyone can be a Jedi or at the least Force sensitive. Makes it too easy and cheapens it. I think that’s part of the problem with Rey. I like her character to an extent but she’s had it far too easy in my opinion. The fact that she’s just able to essentially download Kylo’s abilities (which isn’t even explained on-screen but in one of the tie-in books) makes it seem way too easy for her to have gotten where she is. It kind of goes against everything we’ve ever known about the Jedi too as it’s always been the path that leads to the Dark Side by taking short cuts and whatnot.
Old 02-23-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86

Spoiler:
Maybe it’ll be something along the lines of Kylo and the Knights of Ren are in a battle with Rey. Kylo turns on the Knights in a last ditch effort to try and convert Rey to his side. She doesn’t go along with it and then in turn she escapes while the Knights take out Kylo.

I don’t see Rey taking anyone out as then that makes her look more like a villain. I don’t think Kylo sacrificing himself for Rey would be bad as a redemption though either. People are so concerned about having to show strong females now days and act as though it’s horrible if they’re shown to have vulnerabilities. Rey has been pretty much more powerful than any Jedi shown with very little training. I don’t think we have to worry too much about her being perceived as weak.

I don’t know about the kids. I still don’t like that. It comes across corny to me. I don’t like the idea that just suddenly anyone can be a Jedi or at the least Force sensitive. Makes it too easy and cheapens it. I think that’s part of the problem with Rey. I like her character to an extent but she’s had it far too easy in my opinion. The fact that she’s just able to essentially download Kylo’s abilities (which isn’t even explained on-screen but in one of the tie-in books) makes it seem way too easy for her to have gotten where she is. It kind of goes against everything we’ve ever known about the Jedi too as it’s always been the path that leads to the Dark Side by taking short cuts and whatnot.
Spoiler:

I like the idea that Kylo turns on the Knights, not necessarily to save Rey, but to turn her at the expense of his Knights. It fits more with his conflicted state. Instead of doing a redux of Darth Vader redeemed, Kylo saves her but for selfish reasons. It can also tie into what was established in the prequels, that the Sith always betray one another.

I don't see why Rey killing the Knights of Ren would make her look like a villain. I like to think that as enlightened as the Jedi are, that they would have a Superman-like no killing policy, but they wield glowing samurai swords. Their business is to separate heads from necks. Plus, Rey killing them would probably be in self-defense. Her and Kylo already killed the Crimson Guard.
Off topic, but I hate how they portray some of the killings in these movies. Rey kills half of Snoke's guards, all of them faceless and voiceless, one them even going comically into a paper shredder. No sadness or remorse about taking a life. And later when she's shooting down First Order pilots in the middle of a bloody battle, she's geeking out, all happy, "I like this!!!" as if she's playing Call of Duty.

Rey having to be saved...I disagree. I agree that Rey having vulnerabilities or losing at times doesn't make her any less of a "bad ass." But on the other side of the coin, the original Star Wars had a habit of subverting expectations. Most films the hero does the right thing, slays the dragon, saves the day, and the opposite happens in TESB. Star Wars tries to turn some cliches on their heads. The damsel in distress is already a cliche, so that's why I don't think they'll do it.

The kids from TLJ, yeah, it took me a little bit out the movie. Like those commercials from the 80s where they had kids playing with Star Wars/Transformers/GI Joes. The ring looked like something that would be included with the DROIDS cartoon action figures. Also, it reminded me of the Jedi younglings.
But that's an excellent point about everyone being Force sensitive and Rey's power levels. It's implied in ESB that it takes time and patience to learn the ways of the Force. But someone like Vader took the shortcut to get these awesome powers and it ended up corrupting him. So if someone like Rey is already super powerful, enough that Luke's afraid of her, what's so tempting about taking the path of the dark side?

Last edited by brayzie; 02-23-19 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

so uh, how about we stray from RotT and
Spoiler:
NOT have Ren get redeemed? His loss in the first movie, him getting outsmarted in the 2nd ... all this combined with his already fragile emotional state, just pushes him completely into insane territory where all he wants is power. So he gathers up his Knights and they just go on a galaxy wide spree of destruction
Old 02-24-19, 12:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

He killed Han Solo. I don't care if he saves the universe, there is no fucking redeeming Kylo Ren.
Old 02-25-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Even though I enjoy the Standalones more, I just don't think they will ever resonate the same as the Saga movies among the masses (These movies are really made for the diehards). The problem is the Saga movies only sell to the masses because the Trilogies comes out every 10-15 years so it builds up anticipation. The PT was able to sell the rise of Darth Vader for 3 movies, so the masses came out no matter how bad the movies were. Lucas could have never sold 5-6 PT movies in that same timeframe as the 3 movies/3 years apart anticipation sold itself. The same with the ST as Luke, Leia and Han sold this Trilogy to the masses as they are not turning out for Rey, Finn and Poe. Episode 9 still sells to the masses when the trailers show Lando returning, Force Ghost Luke and old footage Leia.

Even if they call the Game of Thrones Creators or Rian Johnson's Trilogy Episode 10,11,12, it will not sell as big simply because there is no more OT nostalgia left, along with the fact that there won't be that 10-15 years anticipation between films. As big as SW is (it is the most popular franchise ever) it really relies on Nostalgia as a brand to get the masses to care. Just watch any Trailer Reaction on YouTube and fans go crazy when they show The Falcon, Han/Chewy, Vader, Luke, but they don't really get juiced when they show any new characters. It's really amazing that the franchise is still this big 40 years later when it essentially relies on 3 movies made from 77-83.
I think the box office of Rogue One caused them to raise their expectations for the standalone films. That movie really overperformed, frankly. Solo performed more along the lines of some of the lesser Marvel films and that's probably more along the lines of what they should expect for the standalones. But it appears it's too late for those sorts of expectations and they'll keep chasing giant blockbuster results.

Old 02-25-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
He killed Han Solo. I don't care if he saves the universe, there is no fucking redeeming Kylo Ren.
Agreed. And frankly, Vader's "redemption" doesn't work, either. Maybe on a personal level for Luke, but we have seen Vader kill little kids. You have to throw at least two Emperors in a pit to make up for that.

Even before the prequels, we knew he had tortured Leia and Han, killed Obi Wan, and so on.
Old 02-25-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I pretty much always viewed Vader’s redemption as more of a personal win for Luke than anything. He wanted to see the good left in Anakin and bring it out. I don’t think he would have realistically expected everyone to forget the actions of Darth Vader.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.