Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by stvn1974
The Last Jedi is so terrible that its awfulness can't be contained to one thread.
People certainly can't seem to contain their hatred of it. They must be fun at parties.

"Hey, we need some more Solo cups for the punch!"
"SPEAKING OF SOLO DID YOU KNOW THAT THE ONLY REASON SOLO FLOPPED WAS BECAUSE OF THE LAST JEDI?"
"uh..."
Old 02-09-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I collect Star Wars Sideshow and Hot Toys figures and regret the three that I bought from the Sequel Trilogy. If I knew TLJ was going to be so bad I never would have bought them. Hopefully Abrams can salvage the trilogy with Episode IX.
The sucker I am I pre-ordered Luke prior to seeing the film. Wound up getting Leia too as I had the Han from The Force Awakens and figured I'd get her to have the trio in their older looks.
Old 02-11-19, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
People certainly can't seem to contain their hatred of it. They must be fun at parties.

"Hey, we need some more Solo cups for the punch!"
"SPEAKING OF SOLO DID YOU KNOW THAT THE ONLY REASON SOLO FLOPPED WAS BECAUSE OF THE LAST JEDI?"
"uh..."
Old 02-11-19, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I collect Star Wars Sideshow and Hot Toys figures and regret the three that I bought from the Sequel Trilogy. If I knew TLJ was going to be so bad I never would have bought them. Hopefully Abrams can salvage the trilogy with Episode IX.
I have a couple dozen of those Disney Store Elite figures. Got most of them for half off, but I wish I'd shown some restraint. I knew TFA was a blatant rehash, but it did rekindle that childhood spark I hadn't felt toward the franchise since I was 12 (hence the toy buying). TLJ squashed any hopes I had that the new movies would evolve into something more special. I don't even own a copy of the movie, however the Leia Hot Toy is the one bit of merchandise I picked up from it. That's only because it's a fantastic sculpt and I love Carrie Fisher. I try my best to block out the image of her flying through the vacuum of space every time I look at it, though.

As for salvaging the trilogy, I doubt it. Abrams was all for hiring Rian Johnson and (according to Greg Grunberg) loved his script for TLJ so much that he regretted not directing it himself. That seems so bizarre, considering the movie went out of it's way to crap on nearly every mystery box Abrams set up. Maybe J.J. was thankful for that because he was no longer obligated to deliver a satisfying payoff to things he had no real answers for to start with. Perhaps having more of a blank slate to work with is what got him to come back on board. IX will be more of a crowd-pleaser, I'm sure. I'd say that's the best we can hope for at this point.

Last edited by joe_b; 02-11-19 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 07:10 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm glad I don't base my movie watching experiences on what most of you people say in these threads, I would've passed over TLJ as a bad investment. I'm glad I did buy it though, my wife and I thought it was a perfectly good movie. Han, Leia, and Luke can't live forever, in order for the SW universe to progress eventually the torch needs to be handed off to a new generation. Obi Wan died, Yoda died, Anakin died, now Han dies, Luke dies, and by default, Leia dies. Now there's Rey and Ren and the kid with the broom. I don't mind so much that Luke stumbled in his failure with Ben and with his ensuing regret. Our only pitchabitch about TLJ was the casting choice of Adam Driver as Ben. I thought Han and Leia would produce a slightly better looking spawn than that. At any rate, both of us thought TLJ was a good movie and I for one am looking forward to the next installment.
Old 02-11-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

TLJ has made the dark side strong....

Old 02-14-19, 04:01 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

RUMOR:

A major UK cinema chain has received a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) from Disney this morning called TT1-SW9, (Teaser Trailer 1 Star Wars 9). It’s encrypted with a KDM (Key Delivery Message) so they can’t view the contents until they get the key.

No news on when they’ll get the key, but they had the Aladdin trailer DCP for two weeks before it came out on Monday…therefore, Friday might be the day, but that’s pure speculation.
https://www.fanthatracks.com/news/fi...iler-imminent/
Old 02-14-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
No way. They won’t release a full trailer until Star Wars Celebration. Maybe a teaser?
Old 02-14-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
No way. They won’t release a full trailer until Star Wars Celebration. Maybe a teaser?
Yes, that's what the rumor was suggesting with the DCP name: TT1-SW9, (Teaser Trailer 1 Star Wars 9)
Old 02-15-19, 04:01 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Filming just wrapped:

It feels impossible, but today wrapped photography on Episode IX. There is no adequate way to thank this truly magical crew and cast. I’m forever indebted to you all.

JJ Abrams (@jjabrams) February 15, 2019

Last edited by joe_b; 02-15-19 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 04:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yay.
Old 02-15-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I like the characters of Poe, Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren. I can't wait until the make a film with them 30 years from now and ruin them. Perhaps Rian Johnson can write and direct it.
Old 02-15-19, 05:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

You don’t have to wait 30 years for them to get ruined. That was done from the beginning of Episode 7.
Old 02-18-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Filming just wrapped:

This is pretty much the Eiffel Tower I expected since Poe and Finn first met.
Old 02-18-19, 12:32 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
You don’t have to wait 30 years for them to get ruined. That was done from the beginning of Episode 7.
I agree as JJ Abrams takes just as much blame as Rian Johnson should. JJ layed the template for this whole Trilogy and it pretty much negated anything the Big 3 did in the OT as the new threat (The First Order, Snoke and Ben Solo) are the EXACT main threat from before. JJ was the one who had Han/Leia seperated, JJ was the one who had Han die in cold blood by his son (Ford wanted to die but he could have sacrificed himself or something better than this death scene), and JJ was the one who stuck Luke on an island and wrote them into a box in terms of plot points regarding Rey's lineage. I am not defending Rian Johnson as I didn't like his take on 'Get Off my Lawn' Luke, or Mary Poppins Leia, but JJ gets off too easy sometimes.

The creative decisions they decided for the Big 3 would be no different than if we finally get a Back to the Future 4 and Doc and Marty don't appear together once in the film, and than Marty is killed by Biff's grandson or something. Who wants to see that?
Old 02-19-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli
The creative decisions they decided for the Big 3 would be no different than if we finally get a Back to the Future 4 and Doc and Marty don't appear together once in the film, and than Marty is killed by Biff's grandson or something. Who wants to see that?
Don't give them any ideas!
Old 02-19-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
You're right - sons killing fathers and characters being separated are both things that have never been a part of Star Wars
Old 02-19-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure he just meant as pertaining to his example. Basically no fan really wanted what was done with Luke, Leia, and Han is the point. I think that aspect of the Sequel Trilogy is always going to be bothersome to a lot of us. In so many ways I would have preferred to have not had them back at all rather than to have those characters ruined in a lot of respects. Like if this trilogy was just about Rey, Kylo, Finn, and Poe I’d be more accepting of whatever bullshit. The fact that they ruined the legacy characters will forever taint these films to me.
Old 02-19-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Pretty sure he just meant as pertaining to his example. Basically no fan really wanted....
Trying to give fans what you think that they "want" is the path to mediocrity. I'm a fan, and I like what they've done with the films so far. You need drama to propel a story, and "everyone is all together and happy, with nothing wrong," doesn't really scream drama. I don't think the fact that the OT characters didn't end up with fairy tail endings "ruined" them, but instead added interesting layers.

Now, I think JJ could've done better than "Emperor/Vader/Empire/Death Star redux," but there still needed to be both external and internal conflicts to resolve.
Old 02-19-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fairy tale endings isn’t what I’m asking for. In fact Han and Leia bother me less. I didn’t hate that they didn’t end up together due
to Ben/Kylo. That actually sort of worked. I didn’t hate Han’s death either. I think Leia got shafted a bit and was treated as a not so great leader in a lot of ways. She was a stronger character in the Original Trilogy. Luke I will never, ever no matter how anyone tries to explain or justify agree with how he was handled. Complete and utter shit.

What I wanted was the characters I loved treated with more respect than they got. If what we got works for you that’s fine, but I think you can also realize why many of us weren’t happy with how they were handled. As I said had I known what we’d get I’d have preferred them not be in the new films at all.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-19-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 01:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
You're right - sons killing fathers and characters being separated are both things that have never been a part of Star Wars
Rey, Finn and Poe do not appear in one scene together until the end of TLJ. Han, Luke and Leia do not appear in one scene together in the ST. Han, Luke, and Leia appear in most of ANH, the beginning of ESB, and the first half of ROTJ, so that is what resonates with fans like me. The Vader/Luke dynamic did not even appear as a plot point until the end of ESB and then it comes full circle in ROTJ, so it developed into that story through 3 movies. The ST has been devoid of any of that, as the characters were all failures as soon as the opening crawl hits as Luke has vanished!

Instead of giving us a new stories and keeping the OT character arcs the same, they gave us the opposite. They gave us the same old story from the OT (Resistance vs First Order, Rey trying to redeem Kylo Ren) and changed the OT characters.
Old 02-19-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trailer dropping April 11th... I guess take with a grain of salt but it makes sense. No word on a teaser though.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019...s-endgame.html
Old 02-19-19, 01:23 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

At Celebration has been the assumption all along. Anything sooner would be actual news.
Old 02-19-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

What Abrams and Johnson did to the OT characters is nothing compared to what Abrams did to Spock.
Old 02-19-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What Abrams and Johnson did to the OT characters is nothing compared to what Abrams did to Spock.
True but Luke comes very close. Luke is pretty much the polar opposite of everything he was in the Original Trilogy. That was a man who abandoned every ideal he ever had. No optimism, no drive to help those he cared about. Just someone completely cut off from everything. Hell in fact it’s almost like the two got flipped in some ways.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.