Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by lopper
I'm surprised by how little we've seen from this, not so much regarding trailers or tities, but leaks or set pictures or anything like that. Seems like, at this same point with TLJ, there was a ton of unofficial stuff out already out there.
You must be hearing very different rumors about this than I am.
Old 02-08-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm surprised by how little we've seen from this, not so much regarding trailers or tities, but leaks or set pictures or anything like that. Seems like, at this same point with TLJ, there was a ton of unofficial stuff out already out there.
I might be going out on a limb here, but it's quite possible fans no longer give a shit anymore after The Last Jedi.

The trailer will eventually drop. Folks will get a little excited. Some will see it on the release day, others on Disney + and the rest ... not at all.

...of course if it does indeed have tities... I might be there on day one.
Old 02-08-19, 02:24 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

IX hasn't wrapped yet. The titles for the last two weren't announced until after they wrapped. I'm guessing the title is announced within the next month and the trailer, as has been said, will drop at Celebration. Or maybe all at Celebration...
Old 02-08-19, 02:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Trailers AND tities.
Old 02-08-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Old 02-08-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974

That's what I'm talking about !
Old 02-08-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I might be going out on a limb here, but it's quite possible fans no longer give a shit anymore after The Last Jedi.
Some hardcore fans? Maybe.

Joe Six Pack? Not a fucking chance. Let me tell you, as someone who goes to Disney regularly the average person is still VERY much into SW and even if this latest episode has a drop-off from the last one it'll still do huge numbers.
Old 02-08-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Some hardcore fans? Maybe.

Joe Six Pack? Not a fucking chance. Let me tell you, as someone who goes to Disney regularly the average person is still VERY much into SW and even if this latest episode has a drop-off from the last one it'll still do huge numbers.
I think The Last Jedi caused some major damage long term to the brand as a whole though. Splitting the fanbase was a major mistake if you ask me. Joe Six Pack will see the films sure, but after the films leave theaters they’ll move along to the next thing. That may not seem like a big deal, but remember for films that are forty years old you still see new merchandise from the Original Trilogy while the new stuff hardly moves.

The hardcore fans are the ones who have kept the franchise alive as long as it has been and bought the merchandise and stuff for years. That aspect is a pretty big factor to the overall value of the Star Wars brand and has already taken a hit. Pair that with Solo underperforming and not a ton of hype for Episode IX and things aren’t looking as good as they once did. Not saying the brand is in major trouble but I think it will take a hit compared to what it could have been.
Old 02-08-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I've got your Star Wars titties right here.

Old 02-08-19, 11:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

^^^ Like 3 posts too late.
Old 02-08-19, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey guys remember when The Last Jedi showed alien udders??
Old 02-09-19, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Titie milk!
Old 02-09-19, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I don't find it frustrating that there is no title or teaser yet... truthfully, I think this movie is so painted into a corner that they're probably scrambling to put together a cohesive finish all while jamming every single fanboy fix they can. I hear rumors of Lando, Han, Anakin, Knights of Ren, Luke, Luke flashbacks, Snoke alive, etc... you can't put 10lbs of shit into a 5lb bag.
Originally Posted by Mike86

I think The Last Jedi caused some major damage long term to the brand as a whole though. Splitting the fanbase was a major mistake if you ask me.

Disagree. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

That may not seem like a big deal, but remember for films that are forty years old you still see new merchandise from the Original Trilogy while the new stuff hardly moves.
That's true. But the concept of Star Wars is considered old to anyone born after 1995. In 1977 the concept was something new and shiny. Plus they didn't have iPhones and Xboxes. There's a lot of factors why Star Wars merchandise doesn't move like it used to.

I think Disney is doing pretty good considering it's an old property that had it's brand heavily damaged in the early 2000s.
Old 02-09-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

The dumbest and biggest mistake they made was killing off Skywalker! Luke was the last remaining link to the original trilogy for the hardcore fans and baby boomers. Nobody cares to see him come back in the next movie like some Casper the friendly Jedi ghost.
​​​
Old 02-09-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Star Wars: Episode IX: Luke is resurrected thanks to Midichlorians

I am on the fence whether I will see this in theaters. Solo was the first Star Wars movie I did not see in theaters after the stink of Last Jedi. I eventually saw Solo at home and liked it better than TLJ.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Thanos snap crossover as the reason Luke disappeared.

Old 02-09-19, 09:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm fairly sure JJ will course correct, although I'd feel better if he had 2 movies to do it in.
Old 02-09-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
Disagree. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
After the prequels Disney shouldn’t have broken any more eggs. Just sayin’. Especially they shouldn’t have fucked with the biggest legacy character of the saga. The Force Awakens did a decent albeit safe job of respecting the fans and franchise, only to allow The Last Jedi to shit on everything.

That's true. But the concept of Star Wars is considered old to anyone born after 1995. In 1977 the concept was something new and shiny. Plus they didn't have iPhones and Xboxes. There's a lot of factors why Star Wars merchandise doesn't move like it used to.
There was still merchandise in plentiful amounts after the prequels and it still sold. There still is plenty of stuff out there but the new stuff isn’t selling as well as it could be. Part of that could be overproduction but I do think souring fanboys is going to hurt that aspect of the brand. That also carries over to that segment of the fanbase who have kids not buying as much for them.
Old 02-09-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I collect Star Wars Sideshow and Hot Toys figures and regret the three that I bought from the Sequel Trilogy. If I knew TLJ was going to be so bad I never would have bought them. Hopefully Abrams can salvage the trilogy with Episode IX.
Old 02-09-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Can we please stay focused on this thread? I understand some of you disliked TLJ, but this isn't the place to complain about it. Go to TLJ review thread if you want to complain some more.
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...ws-thread.html
Old 02-09-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It’s a sequel coming off of that film so it’s still related and is bound to come up in conversation. I’m sure you wouldn’t care if it was positivity in relation to The Last Jedi.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-09-19 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-09-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

After the prequels Disney shouldn’t have broken any more eggs. Just sayin’. Especially they shouldn’t have fucked with the biggest legacy character of the saga. The Force Awakens did a decent albeit safe job of respecting the fans and franchise, only to allow The Last Jedi to shit on everything.

And I thought TLJ was the better film of the two.

The thing is, for the franchise to have longevity, a greater emphasis needs to be placed on the new protagonist, Rey. So I get why they wrote Luke the way they did. Mark Hamill is an old man, and as cool as he still is, most kids tend to identify slightly more with younger heroes than senior citizens.
Now if it there's a problem with audiences for Episode IX, then it's a failure of Rey and Kylo as characters. Luke, Han, and Leia were passing the torch to these new generation.

For me, the next film is dependent on the Knights of Ren aka Jedi Killers. If they show up, visually it should bring a lot to the table. Story-wise, finding out who they are, they're motivations, etc will be really interesting.
I just hope we get some better fights than the crimson guard one.

There was still merchandise in plentiful amounts after the prequels and it still sold. There still is plenty of stuff out there but the new stuff isn’t selling as well as it could be. Part of that could be overproduction but I do think souring fanboys is going to hurt that aspect of the brand. That also carries over to that segment of the fanbase who have kids not buying as much for them.
I wasn't keeping track of Star Wars merchandise sales-wise, but I always felt that once they re-introduced the old line to drum up anticipation for Episode I, the spark was gone.
The only toys I can remember being hot after the 80s was Power Rangers when it was first introduced, Pokemon...and that's it.
It'd be interesting to read any articles that compare and contrast the Star Wars action figure lines by trilogy or era.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-09-19 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-09-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember reading an article that Disney expected merchandise for The Last Jedi to sell more than the overall numbers it wound up doing. I believe that was also after a high selling year in 2016 too.

Found this from Deadline
While many in the industry argue that five months is too soon for another Star Wars movie following Last Jedi, the fact of the matter is moviegoing is a product-driven business (duh). Solo arrived in the marketplace with too much stink about its behind-the-scenes melodrama, which spread like wildfire on social, and likely impacted critical and audience perception. Even if you pushed Solo to Christmas, it would still have a blemish. Despite the movie’s solid positive exit scores, Solo‘s problem isn’t with audiences leaving the theater, but getting the non-fans in the door. While fanboys may not discriminate on movie ticket pricing, a family of six is going to think twice before they rush to Solo. We’ll see how overseas fares this weekend before we analyze Solo‘s losses. But saying that Disney won’t endure a write-down due to Star Wars merchandising is foolish. That’s an excuse up there with “the dog ate my homework.” First, franchise pics that bomb don’t yield toy sales, especially in this landscape with Toys R Us out of business, a toy retailer that owned a 15% market share. Second, industry sources inform Deadlinethat Last Jedi missed its $600M merchandise revenue target with a $450M take. As an aside, we hear that small town exhibitors were still on the hook to paying Disney a 65% rental on Solo, but without the four-week commitment that came with Last Jedi.

http://<a href="https://deadline.com...202401740/</a>
Old 02-09-19, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
^^^ Like 3 posts too late.

You're right. That's what I get for posting at work. Must have missed there was still a whole page of responses I didn't see.
Old 02-09-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

It’s a sequel coming off of that film so it’s still related and is bound to come up in conversation. I’m sure you wouldn’t care if it was positivity in relation to The Last Jedi.
Has that come up? I don't think people gushing about TLJ to the point of distraction has happened here. And if it ever did happen, I would want it to stop because:
  1. If I cared to read positive reviews of TLJ, there's a whole thread for that.
  2. Positive gushing of the last film would inevitably lead to griping about the last film, which would lead to arguing about the last film, which generates a lot of posts not relevant to this thread.
But congrats, instead of arguing about TLJ in an inappropriate thread, we're now arguing about the arguing.
Old 02-09-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Has that come up? I don't think people gushing about TLJ to the point of distraction has happened here. And if it ever did happen, I would want it to stop because:
  1. If I cared to read positive reviews of TLJ, there's a whole thread for that.
  2. Positive gushing of the last film would inevitably lead to griping about the last film, which would lead to arguing about the last film, which generates a lot of posts not relevant to this thread.
But congrats, instead of arguing about TLJ in an inappropriate thread, we're now arguing about the arguing.
The Last Jedi is so terrible that its awfulness can't be contained to one thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.