Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mabuse
This line of thinking takes ignorance to a new low. I don't even know where to start. "More wonder and imagination in any one scene of the prequels than in the entirety of TFA". No one feels that way. The writer doesn't even feel that way. It's impossible to feel that way. "Any" scene? Really?
First, I loved TFA. Second, I'm not gonna defend Lucas because the prequels are at their core, shit, but I understand what the author is getting at (at least from the little that was quoted). The parts are better than the whole. Despite the horrid scripts and dialog, Lucas is good at world building.

To me the look and design of Kamino and Kaminioians(?) is probably better than anything in TFA. Mustafar was pretty awesome. Some of the creature designs are probably better than what's in TFA (Watto and Maul comes to mind). Jedi Starfighters were a nice add. Duel of the Fates is unrivaled.

So in other words, a lot of little things that don't add up to much when your story and dialog are shit. TFA on the other hand has a stronger script and direction, but lacks some originality. BB-8 is pretty kick ass though.
Old 01-29-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
To me the look and design of Kamino and Kaminioians(?) is probably better than anything in TFA. Mustafar was pretty awesome. Some of the creature designs are probably better than what's in TFA (Watto and Maul comes to mind). Jedi Starfighters were a nice add. Duel of the Fates is unrivaled.
How much of that is really Lucas, and not some designer? Granted Lucas has to give the go ahead on the designs.

I will agree though that the designs and so forth are original, but jarring comparing it to the original trilogy.
Old 01-29-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
How much of that is really Lucas, and not some designer? Granted Lucas has to give the go ahead on the designs.

I will agree though that the designs and so forth are original, but jarring comparing it to the original trilogy.
While the designers are the ones coming up with the visuals, it pretty much all came from Lucas's direction. Even if it didn't, he was ultimately the one decided what designs were chosen. Everyone who has worked with him always speaks about the scope of his imagination. As for the prequels clashing with the OT in that sense, I honestly think that it came down to time and money. If some of the things he did in the prequels would have been possible in 70's/80's, I think we would have seen them.
Old 01-29-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Mustafar looked like shit, as did Kamino. Genosha, I liked the look of. Star Wars is at it's best when it's grounded in some sort of reality. The water worlds of TPM and AotC just didn't work for me. Hoth was fantastic, as was Dagobah but I also thought Star Killer Base looked cool and was something we haven't seen before.
Old 12-27-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Articles are speculating on how Carrie Fisher's death is going to affect Episode IX

http://heavy.com/news/2016/12/carrie...a-organa-role/
In fact, the director of Star Wars: Episode IX, Colin Trevorrow, said in an interview earlier this year that he wants Leia to have a bigger role in his movie. When speaking about Luke and Leia in a January 2016 interview with E!, Trevorrow said that he’s excited to “find new places that we can take those characters.”

“They are icons, but they’re also people that have suffered tremendous loss and challenge over the course of all these films,” Trevorrow said of Luke and Leia, seemingly confirming that Leia would play a significant role in Episode IX along with her brother.
Will be interesting to see how they adjust.
Old 12-27-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Maybe they'll have to bring back Billy Dee now. Although the clock is probably ticking on him as well. I blame George Lucas for waiting so damn long between trilogies.
Old 12-27-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Maybe they'll have to bring back Billy Dee now. Although the clock is probably ticking on him as well. I blame George Lucas for waiting so damn long between trilogies.
I didn't want to say it but there it is. Even 10 years ago all three would have been in better health.

The other part of me wonders why they didn't film all of her and Mark's footage as soon as possible in case something like this happened.

But it will be interesting to see how they change the story - maybe it will even push them to go into a new direction, like how would the Resistance handle this.
Old 12-27-16, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe cast Fisher's daughter as Leia & age her with make-up. She does look like her and there were rumors of her playing young Leia. Probably wouldn't be seen as disrespecting of Fisher for her daughter to take over the role.

We're getting a new Han Solo actor so a new Leia isn't that hard to believe.
Old 12-27-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Maybe Kylo Ren freezes Leia in carbonite just like Vader did to his father. He's a huge fan of Vader after all. That may be too traumatic for audiences - to see Leia in carbonite and never get out.
Old 12-27-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

To me, the story has precedence over the actor. I would not mind a re-cast. I know - blasphemy.
Old 12-27-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

I wonder if they'll make changes to Episode VIII so her disappearance in Episode IX won't be so jarring.
Old 12-28-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or drag her VIII storyline out and repurpose footage into IX and come up with some way to produce a satisfying conclusion for the character.
Old 12-28-16, 03:15 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Or drag her VIII storyline out and repurpose footage into IX and come up with some way to produce a satisfying conclusion for the character.
This seems like the best route to go.
Old 12-28-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, best case they figure out how to kill her in the opening moments of episode IX. Maybe have her death launch the third act of the trilogy.
Old 12-28-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Maybe Leia wouldn't even need to appear in IX. By that film, I should think the new characters (Rey, Poe, Finn) should be front and center.

Unless they're planning another trilogy of X-XI-XII that would follow Rey, Finn, Poe, and new charactersand not feature any of the OT folks.
Old 12-28-16, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Yep, best case they figure out how to kill her in the opening moments of episode IX. Maybe have her death launch the third act of the trilogy.
I read someone's idea to mention it in the Episode 9 opening crawl that she died and the Rebellion/Luke/Rey were mourning her death and appointed a new leader, etc. Episode 9 could be 2-3 years after Episode 8 to explain Leia succumbing to an illness.
Old 12-28-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I read someone's idea to mention it in the Episode 9 opening crawl that she died and the Rebellion/Luke/Rey were mourning her death and appointed a new leader, etc. Episode 9 could be 2-3 years after Episode 8 to explain Leia succumbing to an illness.
I think that is , from a dramatic stand point, dopey.

Her role does not seem to be that significant in these new films. It's much more in the realm of celebrity cameo, than a character that is front and center (like Rey). While it would be best for continuity if she could have finished, they could easily find other characters to perform her story functions (which amount to dispensing exposition and "here's the plan..." style pep talks.

Depending on how much extra footage they have of her from both VII and VIII, it is quite possible they can cobble something together to put her character in position for a sudden and violent death that can serve as either the start to IX, or the Second Act low point in that same movie.

While the opening crawl to VII augers that at some point Luke will be reunited with Leia and the rebellion, it would be bittersweet to have Luke make the journey back only to be not in time as the first order mounts a devastating surgical attack that (off camera) kills Leia and hundreds more around her. All that is needed here is one shocked reaction shot from Carrie interspersed with second unit footage of troops, explosions, etc. And then you cut quick to a shot of Luke as he, Kenobi-like, feels what is happening including the final death of his sister. Her characters death would be even more powerful intuited by Hamill's character as it happens, rather than being seen explicitly on screen.

Whatever is going to happen is going to no doubt require some extensive rejiggering to shift story duties to other characters, but I can't imagine that she would have figured much more than a General Dodonna-like role in the last chapter- especially not after how her age and change in appearance was received by fans in TFA. If anything, the producers were likely to dial her part back a little after that (as well they should have IMO.)

But this is a dramatic story (It's Star WARS for chrissake). Having the character die in bed or pausing the narrative so we can have a funeral scene is....Lame.

But then again, I always thought most of ROTJ's plot developments were seriously asinine, but it's the fans of that stuff that are most on board for these new films, so maybe they should just give you what you are asking for.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 12-28-16 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 06:52 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

they'll never kill Leia off in a "violent death" now that Fisher has died.
Old 12-28-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
But this is a dramatic story (It's Star WARS for chrissake). Having the character die in bed or pausing the narrative so we can have a funeral scene is....Lame.
The Star Wars movies have already had TWO funeral scenes. One each for Leia's parents and in the third movie of their respective trilogies. Having one for her in Episode IX actually fits in properly.
Old 12-28-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW I got the feeling that Fisher was an astute enough dramatist, who had a low tolerance for sentimental BS, that she would recognize and champion whatever course worked best for the story.

A violent (off camera) death for a military commander is fully in tune with a story about a violent galaxy wide military conflict.
Old 12-28-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The Star Wars movies have already had TWO funeral scenes. One each for Leia's parents and in the third movie of their respective trilogies. Having one for her in Episode IX actually fits in properly.
And they probably will for her. Not so much because it's the best thing for the story, but because...fan service.

And the bonus is it rhymes like bad poetry which is par for the course for this saga.
Old 12-28-16, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Killing her off in the crawl would be pretty tacky considering her importance in the series.
Old 12-28-16, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Killing her off in the crawl would be pretty tacky considering her importance in the series.
Agreed. I absolutely hate it when major characters die offscreen. (Sarah Connor is another example.)
Old 12-28-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
I agree but killing off someone in any way would IMO be a bit tasteless no matter who it's done
Maybe they cut a lot footage from VIII that could be worked into IX and she can go out peacefully
Old 12-28-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The story needs to be serviced- not the fan's tender sensibilities.

This has backed them into a bit of a corner and they need to artfully get out of it in a way that services the story being told.

I think she would understand- and probably prefer her character to go out like a boss and not a tender little hothouse flower.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.