Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
re: The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Oscar Isaac is one of my favorite actors working today so his involvement would be exciting.
Old 08-26-18, 09:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I could see Josh Brolin as a good Harvey Dent...
Old 08-27-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Black Mask maybe?
Old 08-27-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Black Mask maybe?
No, he's rumored to be the villain in the Birds of Prey movie.

Also, apparently the story is BS according to Umberto, though in fairness his track record of late hasn't been all that good IMO:

Last edited by TheMovieman; 08-27-18 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Speculation, but not looking good for Ben

Ben Affleck’s future playing Batman on the big screen may be over — in part because the cost of insuring him may have gotten too steep, multiple industry insiders told TheWrap.

The actor, a recovering alcoholic who checked himself into rehab last week for the third time in the last two decades and the second time in just over a year, may have priced himself out of a pricey tentpole studio movie like Warner Bros.’ upcoming “The Batman.”

“More than likely the studio will replace him because the insurance costs are going to go through the roof,” a representative for a completion bond company told TheWrap

“He would be bondable, but the deductible would be really high, probably the budget of the film,” an attorney who specializes in insurance and bond products added.

The bond company insider said insurers might only demand half of the film’s budget set aside in escrow as a deductible — which could still add up for Warner Bros. since the production budget on Affleck’s 2017 Batman appearance, “Justice League,” was around $300 million.

If a “Justice League” sequel moved forward at that price with Affleck attached, the insider said, the deductible could drive the budget up to $450 million — before marketing expenses.
Old 08-28-18, 09:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I could see Josh Brolin as a good Harvey Dent...
That would be good casting, and a continuation of the trend of having him as a villain in the various superhero universes. I'd like to see a real Two Face this time, not just a cameo.
Old 08-28-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Speculation, but not looking good for Ben
They think he's going to pull a Heath Ledger?
Old 08-28-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

If they want Affleck they will have him. Insurance won't stop it.
Old 09-11-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

BATMAN: You’ll Never Guess Who WB Was Making Inquiries About Earlier This Year

Sometimes, when a studio is considering an actor for a role in a property known for its iconic imagery, they ask for some visual assistance during the process. It’s not at all uncommon for the studio to request a digital mock-up of an actor in a particular costume- especially if that actor is busy on another project at the moment and unable to come in and model it themselves, or if they currently have hair and facial hair for another project that clashes with how they’d look in the project they’re currently being considered for.

A couple of months back, Warner Bros. requested digital mock-ups of a pair of actors who were seemingly in contention for the title role in Matt Reeves’ The Batman, and while both have been brought to my attention, I’m only going to reveal one today. Reason being I still have lingering questions about one of them, so until those get answered, I’m going to hold onto it (yes, listeners of The Fanboy Podcast, it’s the “third man” I mentioned on Friday’s show).

Before I reveal it, I want to note that there’s no reason to believe this went anywhere. It may have, and it may not have. Regardless, I find these things interesting because they reveal the thought process behind who/what they’re looking for, and this one in particular shows that Reeves seems to have a type in mind.

Why do I say that? Because two other actors I know he’s spoken to about playing Batman have the same general build and look. We’re talking about Jake Gyllenhaal and Jack Huston.

Now let’s add another name to the list of folks who’ve apparently danced with the Dark Knight by the pale moonlight:

Kit Harington.

Yup, in June Warner Bros. was keen to see what he’d look like in a Batman suit so they requested some digital mock-ups of the Game of Thrones star as The Caped Crusader.

As mentioned earlier on, my source on this has no idea if that was the end of it (or the start of it). It’s just something interesting that happened, and I thought my fellow news-starved DC fans would find this noteworthy.

Harrington is 5’8, which puts him in the same range as Gyllenhaal and Huston, with all three actors being between 5’8 and 6′- once again demonstrating that Reeves isn’t hung up on casting a big guy for Batman. Also notable here is that Harrington, unlike those other two, is far closer to the age I hear Bruce Wayne will be in the movie. If you’ll recall, in my last significant update on The Batman– which Matt Reeves would go on to confirm most of a week later- I shared that they’re looking for someone to play a Batsy who’s between 25 and 30 years of age. Harington is 31.

On last Friday’s episode of The Fanboy Podcast, I mentioned two other actors I’ve heard in connection to The Batman. They’re Jack O’Connell and Noah Centineo. But with those two, it’s unclear why their names are currently being spoken in the same breath as this film by casting people in Hollywood right now. I don’t know if it’s because the studio wants them, or because their agents are campaigning for them to read for the role, or if they’re up for different, supporting roles in the film. The details with them are vague, at best. But they’re also both 5’8″ and 6’1, respectively.

Meanwhile, what’s interesting about the other actor- the one I’m not comfortable sharing just yet- is that he’s far closer to the Affleck mold than any of these other names I’ve heard. Because of that, I think he may end up being the actual frontrunner- which is why I don’t want to run it until I’m absolutely positive. Please pardon my hesitance here, but this would be the biggest story of my career. Yes, even bigger than breaking the story about how the studio was extensively overhauling Justice League last May. So I’ve got to be careful.

For now, just ruminate on the fact that the studio was kicking around the idea of Harington as Batman.
https://revengeofthefans.com/2018/09...ier-this-year/
Old 09-11-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Harrington would be... ok? I wouldn't hate it.
Old 09-11-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I never would have guessed Harrington was 5’8”.

Old 09-11-18, 12:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

He's like Orlando Bloom. Good looking, but super boring. Fine in an ensemble cast, but shouldn't be the star of anything.
Old 09-11-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never would've thought of Harington. I ... don't hate that idea in the slightest, though it's certainly not my first choice for a replacement.

He seems more like a Nightwing to me, though.
Old 09-11-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Never would've thought of Harington. I ... don't hate that idea in the slightest, though it's certainly not my first choice for a replacement.

He seems more like a Nightwing to me, though.
Good point, I think he'd be a better Nightwing.
Old 09-11-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

He was the lead in Pompeii and the Spooks feature film. I thought he was fine in both.

However, playing Bruce Wayne might be a little tricky and may not fit his personality.
Old 09-11-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I want a Dark knight Returns/Return of the Joker mashup with Keaton as the old Batman
Old 09-11-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

It's Rashida Jones. Period.
Old 09-11-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It's Rashida Jones. Period.
I ... don't hate this idea in the slightest either.

Spoiler:
But seriously, she'd make a great Vicki Vale.
Old 09-11-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don’t recognize the name right off hand so can’t judge his acting ability. He doesn’t look like Bruce Wayne though. Seems too baby faced.
Old 09-11-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Don't like Harrington as Batman, he's not a particularly strong actor, he doesn't have the look, and he can't wink.

Old 09-11-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Don't like Harrington as Batman, he's not a particularly strong actor, he doesn't have the look, and he can't wink.

Agreed. I'll say that he has improved a lot on Game of Thrones since Season 1, but he sure isn't winning an Oscar anytime soon. He's also really short, although I guess they can use whatever movie-making tricks they use for Tom Cruise.
Old 09-12-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

SEPTEMBER 12, 2018 11:51am PT by Ryan Parker
Jon Hamm Says He Is Interested in Playing Batman

Although the 'Mad Men' star notes, "I have never had a conversation with anyone about it, literally."
Jon Hamm has interest in playing Batman — as long as the script is good.

Talking to Graham Bensinger in an interview for his series In Depth that was posted Wednesday, the Mad Men star said he has always been a comic book fan and, yes, had given some thought to playing the Caped Crusader. But, there are some conditions.

"It depends on the script, what the story is," Hamm told Bensinger. "I am a huge comic book fan, always have been. I have read comic books since I was nine or younger. And I am pretty knowledgeable about a lot of them. And I like the genre, and I like when they are done well."

Saying he loved Black Panther and that he watches FX's Legion, Hamm said he has yet to have any official conversation about perhaps playing Batman, but "I'd probably fit the suit. I'd have to work out a lot, which I don't love. But, I am sure there is an interesting version of that being out there. And if they wanted to tap me on the shoulder and ask me to do it: why not?"

Bensinger said there had been murmers among fans for years who believed Hamm would make a great Bruce Wayne/Batman. Hamm said he was aware.

"I have had rumors about that since probably season one of Mad Men," he said. "I have never had a conversation with anyone about it, literally. And I've sat in the room with all these guys. I have never been offered anything. I think the Internet wants what it wants. But, I mean, a lot of people have to sign off on that, obviously not just the Internet."

For the moment, Ben Affleck is donning the cape and cowl on the big screen for Warner Bros.
Old 09-12-18, 02:45 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Wouldn't mind him if it was years ago or if they needed a continuation of Affleck. But at this point, he's too old for what it seems like they want to do.
Old 09-12-18, 02:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fuck it. Bring back Keaton.
Old 09-12-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

New report is Affleck is out: https://nypost-com.cdn.ampproject.or...perman-exit%2F

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.