Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 214 Posts
re: The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m just trying to get an honest answer as to why it’s better than the majority beyond the deemed social significance. If it weren’t for that it’d have little to stand on. It’s my honest opinion on it.
-No Man's Land is the best action sequence in any modern day comic book film
-WW and Steve Trevor have as good an on screen chemistry as any other duo in a comic book film I can remember.
-Lucy Davis is aces
Old 04-14-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,188 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Gal Gadot is fucking gold, though.
For all my issues with it she’s not the problem at all. She’s good in the role but just stuck in a very average film.
Old 05-30-18, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Old 05-30-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Penguin isn’t my favorite Batman villain but a decent one. I feel like he works better paired with someone and can be somewhat bland on his own (though from what I’ve seen of Gotham he’s somewhat decent there).

Personally if we’re re-visiting characters I’d rather it be The Riddler or even do Mr. Freeze some justice rather than the craptastic version we got.
Old 05-30-18, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Bring back DeVito! For the imaginary movie that won't get made.
Old 05-30-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Man has WB really fucked this up. How is it they still don’t have a clue what they want to do? You’d think they would have worked really hard to set a new path, began work on far more movies yet here we are with news that they don’t know where a villain will appear just that they will.

L.O.L.
Old 05-30-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
Bring back DeVito! For the imaginary movie that won't get made.
Ugh hell no. I absolutely loathe DeVito's portrayal of the character. I do wish there was a way to turn back time and get a third Keaton Batman film though.
Old 05-30-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Penguin isn’t my favorite Batman villain but a decent one. I feel like he works better paired with someone and can be somewhat bland on his own (though from what I’ve seen of Gotham he’s somewhat decent there).

Personally if we’re re-visiting characters I’d rather it be The Riddler or even do Mr. Freeze some justice rather than the craptastic version we got.
As opposed to the great Penguin we got in Batman Returns? (Just to note, I hate that movie)

One idea I read, this is not a rumor just from a fan, that Deathstroke could be in the employ of The Penguin.
Old 05-30-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmanca
Man has WB really fucked this up. How is it they still don’t have a clue what they want to do? You’d think they would have worked really hard to set a new path, began work on far more movies yet here we are with news that they don’t know where a villain will appear just that they will.

L.O.L.
How do you know they (and they being Matt Reeves as he probably has complete control of the movie) don't have a villain? Kroll is just a reporter who hears things, he probably doesn't know 100% if Penguin is in Reeves script or not while there are people who have read one of the Birds of Prey scripts (there are a few apparently) which does have Penguin in it.

Anyway, does make me wonder of Josh Gad wasn't just being a troll with those pics he posted some time back. Maybe he is in the line for the role, though I'd be willing to bet it's in a Birds of Prey (or w/e they'll call it) rather than Reeves' Batman movie where I assume he'd pick someone like Andy Serkis for the part.
Old 05-30-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
As opposed to the great Penguin we got in Batman Returns? (Just to note, I hate that movie)

One idea I read, this is not a rumor just from a fan, that Deathstroke could be in the employ of The Penguin.
I don’t really like Batman Returns either and it’s largely because I hate DeVito’s Penguin. Keaton and Pfeiffer are great and I like that it’s set at Christmas time because it gives the film a somewhat cool look (though you can also really tell it’s on a set). Walken is a bit too over the top for me in the film.

I think if you add someone like Deathstroke it could be okay. Problem with Penguin is on his own he doesn’t do a lot to make himself cool or intimidating really in my opinion. The mob boss style version of the character he’s portrayed as a lot of times isn’t bad but I feel like he needs an action guy to go up against Batman.
Old 05-30-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think if you add someone like Deathstroke it could be okay. Problem with Penguin is on his own he doesn’t do a lot to make himself cool or intimidating really in my opinion. The mob boss style version of the character he’s portrayed as a lot of times isn’t bad but I feel like he needs an action guy to go up against Batman.
That is true. Just depends on what Reeves wants to do. Could go down the crime-drama route, similar to that of Chris Nolan. I got to assume there's going to be somebody else, but who knows. According to Kroll in an additional tweet, Reeves is still working on the script (last I read, a couple months back, he had finished an outline).
Old 05-30-18, 07:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with Freeze allot of potential for a great antagonist. The riddler could also be great but there is too much opportunity to make him (or her in today's age) a good which would ruin everything.
Old 05-30-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 711 Likes on 438 Posts

I think the Penguin done right is a fantastic adversary. He's never the muscle though, always the mind; this gives an opportunity to use Deathstroke, or Croc, or Shiva, or Bronze Tiger, or whomever they want to bring the pain on the Dark Knight.
Old 05-30-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I think the Penguin done right is a fantastic adversary. He's never the muscle though, always the mind; this gives an opportunity to use Deathstroke, or
Do you guys mean DeadShot?
Old 05-30-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No I meant Deathstroke.
Old 05-30-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,917 Likes on 1,995 Posts

Two Batman films I would like to see for the DCEU:

1. A movie centered on The Riddler, where he's a Zodiac-style serial killer. Maybe he does something dramatic like kidnaps Selina, and sets a trap for Batman. Would require Bruce to use his detective skills. Maybe call it "Hush."

2. An adaption of Morrison's "Arkham Asylum." The inmates take over Arkham, and Batman has to go in alone. Very dark and creepy. This would be a horror movie.

I think Penguin would work better with Birds of Prey. My preference would be forthe Penguin to be played like the one on Gotham. Hell, have Robin Lord Taylor play him. They could do worse than having Gotham be a DCEU prequel.
Old 05-31-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think an Arkham Asylum movie would be cool but I want to see how Reeves handles his first Batman film before trusting him with something like that. There’d have to be a decent sized assortment of characters to make it effective (even if only one character is the main villain).
Old 05-31-18, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to see a decent standalone Batman movie that takes advantage of its comic book silliness without giving in to camp (like the Arkham games do). Make it a classic Batman mystery that shows off his detective skills and assortment of allies in the Batman family. Open it like a James Bond movie, showing the thrilling end to a previous adventure, roll credits, start the new one. Four color and larger than life, but taken seriously enough (no groaning one-liners, no atmosphere in lieu of narrative, no focusing on the villain more than the hero, and Ace The Bat Hound!)
Old 05-31-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 943 Likes on 665 Posts

I don't care what villain or have any ties to existing comic stories I just want two things:

1. Affleck
2. No Jared Leto
Old 05-31-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You forgot

3. ACE THE BAT HOUND

Old 05-31-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You forgot

3. ACE THE BAT HOUND

And then have Krypto make an appearance in the Man of Steel (true) sequel and THEN you can get a spin-off with the two superhero dogs!
Old 05-31-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’d be open to a more out there villain rather than having everything grounded all the time. Give us someone like Mr. Freeze or heck some of my favorite villains are guys like Clayface and Man-Bat. That’s another reason why I’m not overly excited about Penguin. He’s really just a gangster with some deformities. Even adding Deathstroke while a bit better still is just a mercenary and not anything that unique.
Old 05-31-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 828 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
And then have Krypto make an appearance in the Man of Steel (true) sequel and THEN you can get a spin-off with the two superhero dogs!
Ace v. Krypto: Paws of Justice
Old 05-31-18, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 943 Likes on 665 Posts

Well played.

I have a soft spot for Man-Bat. I had this record/book as a kid and it got played hundreds of times. Still have it actually:

Old 05-31-18, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve always liked Man-Bat a lot. Always thought his design was sorta cool and I like the backstory (though it is somewhat like Lizard’s from Spider-Man). Also liked his episodes from Batman: The Animated Series.

For villains that aren’t always named I’ve always liked him, Clayface, Killer Croc (not the crappy version we’ve already gotten), and Scarecrow. I’d like to see any of them done or like I said Freeze or Riddler. You could do something along the lines of Heart of Ice and have it be awesome. Riddler could be cool to see mess with Batman psychologically or make him like a Jigsaw type killer.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-31-18 at 08:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.