Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Batman (D: Matt Reeves) S: Ben Affleck

No shit. It's a page one rewrite. The only guarantee is it'll feature Batman.
Old 03-19-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I still think a Red Hood storyline could be good. It would make sense as Robin's death was acknowledged in both Batman V Superman (the Robin suit in the Batcave) and in Suicide Squad (it's mentioned in Harley's bio that she's responsible for the death of Robin). It'd be a good personal story and you could incorporate a lot of elements into it. Deathstroke and The Joker are both in the comic storyline so they could both be involved. You could also put in Black Mask and maybe even Harley too.
Old 03-19-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd bet anything they rewrite the Joker in his place. I wouldn't mind seeing something like the plot to Arkham Origins in a movie though.

Deathstroke being the main antagonist was just too good to possibly come true.
Old 03-19-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I'd bet anything they rewrite the Joker in his place.
I highly doubt it... unless they get a new Joker. Reeves is no idiot, nor is Affleck, and both likely know the critical and fan reaction to Leto's take. Since the studio apparently has no say, I don't see it happening.
Old 03-19-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Keep Leto's Joker far away from this thing. The absolute worst thing about any of these DC movies thus far.
Old 03-19-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep Letoker sucks big time. I've said it before but I'd be fine with retconning that version of the character and recasting.
Old 03-20-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Keep Leto's Joker far away from this thing. The absolute worst thing about any of these DC movies thus far.
Considering how much of his performance was cut from SS it's really hard to say that with absolute certainty. The movie was bad I'm not sure I fault anyone alone for it.
Old 03-20-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I highly doubt it... unless they get a new Joker. Reeves is no idiot, nor is Affleck, and both likely know the critical and fan reaction to Leto's take. Since the studio apparently has no say, I don't see it happening.
That depends. I still think the original reason MR held out was he wanted to recast that roll.
Old 03-20-17, 11:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

have a new Joker kill off Leto's faux Joker.
Old 03-20-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Considering how much of his performance was cut from SS it's really hard to say that with absolute certainty. The movie was bad I'm not sure I fault anyone alone for it.
The quality of the movie has nothing to do with it. His performance, style and direction choices... just everything about it sucked. No additional footage is going to improve any of that.
Old 03-20-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The quality of the movie has nothing to do with it. His performance, style and direction choices... just everything about it sucked. No additional footage is going to improve any of that.
Hopefully you feel the same way about Caesar Romeo's Joker too then.
Old 03-20-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Hopefully you feel the same way about Caesar Romeo's Joker too then.
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at here.
Old 03-20-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Leto got no help from David Ayer. There were moments where Leto was pretty good. With a better director guiding him, I'm sure Leto would keep what worked from his original performance, and change what didn't.
Old 03-20-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't get it either. And yeah, I hate Leto's Joker too.
Old 03-20-17, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Leto got no help from David Ayer. There were moments where Leto was pretty good. With a better director guiding him, I'm sure Leto would keep what worked from his original performance, and change what didn't.
Yeah i blame half of that atrocious performance to the director who obviously was trying to shoot his load in all directions , missing all goals and pleasing no one
Old 03-20-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know I get the feeling a lot of what we saw is because of Leto. Look how far he went behind the scenes to be in character. I imagine that he had significant input into how the character looked and acted.
Old 03-20-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I have a feeling they're going to be so gun shy on scripts due to fan/critic backlash of DC films they're going to pass up a few "pretty damn great scripts" in pursuit of the "perfect script" and we'll just end up with a boring "safe script" or worse....
Old 03-20-17, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I want them to do Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum. Make it a fucking horror movie with Batman trapped in Arkham with Joker, Two-Face, The Riddler, Croc, Clayface, Scarecrow, and anyone else who'll fit.
Old 03-21-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I kind of wonder about an Arkham Asylum movie is how well it could be told in a couple hours or so. I feel like a visit to Arkham would be cool so you could see some of the rogues mocking Batman from their cells or whatever but I don't know that I'd want the entire film set there. I just think the expectation to have a bunch of the villains there for him to fight would be present and that might make for yet another bloated film.
Old 03-21-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at here.
Michael is saying the quality of the movie has nothing to do with the portrayal fo the character. I think that's just nonsense. In the 60s Batman, it was all camp, so that's the way it was played. Every Joker has really fit the style of the movie/game very well. Leto's did too, it's just that movie was awful and there was not much to work with but in the style of the movie, his Joker was the right fit. I'm not going to argue that I liked it or that it was good, but we have to take the Joker as he comes in the style of the film/book/movie. But even still, we did not get to see much of the character or have any development thanks to the shit editing of the movie, even the UE.

All I'm really saying to Michael is that before we write off Leto's Joker completely I think we need to see more of how he is to be portrayed.
Old 03-21-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

The only thing I kind of wonder about an Arkham Asylum movie is how well it could be told in a couple hours or so. I feel like a visit to Arkham would be cool so you could see some of the rogues mocking Batman from their cells or whatever but I don't know that I'd want the entire film set there. I just think the expectation to have a bunch of the villains there for him to fight would be present and that might make for yet another bloated film.
Why not make it a Game of Death/The Raid/Dredd style Batman film if they want it all to be within Arkham? I'd pay to see that.
Old 03-21-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there are certain instances where you really don't have to see a lot more to know it's bad and this is one of those instances. I just think everything about the character as portrayed by Leto was wrong and not in the spirit of any version of the character. Even if he came back and acted different and had a better script to work with I know for me personally I'd never get over how stupid he looks. Romero at least was true to the character of the times. All Leto's version seems to be is someone trying too hard to top an acclaimed performance (Ledger) by being more extreme.
Old 03-21-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think there are certain instances where you really don't have to see a lot more to know it's bad and this is one of those instances.
My point exactly. It wouldn't matter if SS was a 5* critically acclaimed flick, this Joker would still be the weak link. Short of getting Tarantino to do a Batman flick, I don't think anyone could redeem this version of the character. It's that bad.
Old 03-21-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My point exactly. It wouldn't matter if SS was a 5* critically acclaimed flick, this Joker would still be the weak link. Short of getting Tarantino to do a Batman flick, I don't think anyone could redeem this version of the character. It's that bad.
I just will disagree with you. This movie was so bad Leto's Joker did not affect it one way or another. I found him at least mildly interesting as opposed to any of the other characters.
Old 03-21-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm on the opposite end where Joker was by FAR the worst part of the movie and stood out like a sore thumb versus everything else going on. I'm not sure who's fault it was, whether it be Ayer, DC/WB, or Leto, but I'm not sure seeing more scenes with the character overcomes the look and personality that we saw as is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.