Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 12:11 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: The Batman (D: Matt Reeves) S: Ben Affleck

Damn. I'll feel bad for Manganiello if he gets cut after all the prep he has been doing.
Old 03-15-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Flash - new script from scratch... Batman - new script from scratch... but let's talk MOS2?
Old 03-15-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

So? They can juggle multiple projects. It's not like its one writer doing all three movies... In addition, MOS2, if it happens, is still a ways off and I have my doubts Flash will materialize. Anyway, I'd rather they do these projects from scratch and remove any idea of world building and just focus on the main characters... If all goes well, THEN maybe go into a Justice League sequel.
Old 03-15-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Well it does say re-writing from scratch. So no initial script will be involved.
So when they do something like that, does the initial writer still get a writing credit or not? Sometimes screenplays have hilarious listing of three or four writing teams. If literally nothing is used, I wonder if the original screenwriter gets no billing at all or whether they are still obligated to give him some sort of "Story By" credit...
Old 03-15-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
So when they do something like that, does the initial writer still get a writing credit or not? Sometimes screenplays have hilarious listing of three or four writing teams. If literally nothing is used, I wonder if the original screenwriter gets no billing at all or whether they are still obligated to give him some sort of "Story By" credit...
It all depends on the WGA.
Old 03-15-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm starting to doubt many of these movies will get made Batman, Man of Steel 2, The Flash, Aquaman...
Justice League and Wonder Woman might be the end of this universe
Old 03-15-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're fooling yourself if you think Warner isn't going to make Batman, that property is a cash cow for the studio. And Wan is currently scouting locations for Aquaman; production begins late May.
Old 03-15-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I can't believe Marvel/Disney would go so low as to sneak alcohol into Affleck's drinks just to sabotage The Batman film.
Old 03-15-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm kind of glad as I never really wanted Deathstroke as the primary villain for a Batman film. I don't care if he's involved in some capacity but when you have a strong Rogues Gallery to choose from like Batman has it's a waste to use someone who's not really one of his villains.

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
So? They can juggle multiple projects. It's not like its one writer doing all three movies... In addition, MOS2, if it happens, is still a ways off and I have my doubts Flash will materialize. Anyway, I'd rather they do these projects from scratch and remove any idea of world building and just focus on the main characters... If all goes well, THEN maybe go into a Justice League sequel.
I think the problem is that there seems to be all this talk about projects on the table that they're wanting to do yet it seems like they're having problems with the current slate they have to a degree. Maybe instead of just piling on more films they should focus more on what's currently in production.
Old 03-15-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Maybe instead of just piling on more films they should focus more on what's currently in production.
Wonder Woman has wrapped and Justice League is basically done (I assume there'll be reshoots soon). And Aquaman isn't in production for another two months. So come May, there will only be one movie in production from DC...

As I said, I prefer they start over with these scripts and focus on characters than cramming in world building elements (and this is coming from one of the very few around here who liked MOS, BVS and Suicide Squad...). Batman presumably is high priority but I'm glad they're slowing things down, get a good script. Also, I wouldn't discount since filming won't begin until next year that it'll allow Affleck to exit and open the possibility of going the prequel route and a younger actor.
Old 03-15-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I can't believe Marvel/Disney would go so low as to sneak alcohol into Affleck's drinks just to sabotage The Batman film.

Ben Affleck revealed Tuesday that he has completed another stint at a rehabilitation center for alcohol addiction.
Old 03-15-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wasn't Kroll the same guy who "confirmed" that they weren't rewriting Batfleck's script?
Old 03-15-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Wonder Woman has wrapped and Justice League is basically done (I assume there'll be reshoots soon). And Aquaman isn't in production for another two months. So come May, there will only be one movie in production from DC...
The thing is though they keep talking like they're wanting to add more (Gotham City Sirens, Man of Steel 2, Nightwing, etc.) when it doesn't even seem like some in development projects that should be out soon (The Batman and The Flash) are moving along. The Batman is announced and has a director and at least Affleck but the rest of the cast and the script seems questionable. The Flash has no director and no script at this point.

It just sort of feels like whoever is in charge of these films is putting the cart before the horse in regards to how they're planning things out.
Old 03-15-17, 04:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

make a The Raid type movie of Batman locked in Arkham Asylum with a hundred psychopaths. BOOM.
Old 03-15-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

We've had alcoholic superman.

I wouldn't mind seeing another BvS both alcoholics duking it out. That would be grand! But I have a feeling it would turn more into a musical than a punch fest.
Old 03-15-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing is though they keep talking like they're wanting to add more (Gotham City Sirens, Man of Steel 2, Nightwing, etc.) when it doesn't even seem like some in development projects that should be out soon (The Batman and The Flash) are moving along. The Batman is announced and has a director and at least Affleck but the rest of the cast and the script seems questionable. The Flash has no director and no script at this point.

It just sort of feels like whoever is in charge of these films is putting the cart before the horse in regards to how they're planning things out.
IMO, the only plan now is to do individual movies rather than anything interconnected. Solo Batman. Solo Nightwing. Solo Flash (which I don't see happening), etc. It's actually what they should have done after MOS.

As for Batman, we'll find out after July I think. If Affleck is back, then Irons and Simmons probably will be as well.

In the end, I like they're starting from scratch. I know people are disappointed not to have a Batman film coming out next year but that's what got them in trouble in the past, rushing these things.
Old 03-15-17, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
make a The Raid type movie of Batman locked in Arkham Asylum with a hundred psychopaths. BOOM.
That's how bombs are created?
Old 03-15-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I think that's the result of having no one in charge when they initially slated out the next 10 flicks and then tossing Geoff Johns in there after Snyder dropped the ball. I'd imagine Johns was trying to piece what WB had in motion together somehow but can't quite make it work so they're scrapping stuff and starting fresh.

That's my 'glass is half full' theory of it anyway.
Old 03-15-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Take out the world building and WB will go back to only doing Batman movies. World building is the only reason they're interested in doing other characters.
Old 03-15-17, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I would watch the hell out of that. Though, I'd imagine people would be upset they don't get Gotham City, the Bat cave, Wayne Manor, etc.
Originally Posted by E Unit
That's how bombs are created?
I have the perfect .gif waiting for when that happens...
Old 03-15-17, 10:28 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I have the perfect .gif waiting for when that happens...
I doubt I've seen it...
Old 03-15-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Starting from scratch is probably a good idea. I don't think any director wants to come in and work with someone's leftovers. Since Reeves signed on as Producer and Director, he's going to want to have a say with the script development from inception.

It's the same thing in television. No Producer wants to take over as showrunner for a series they didn't develop.

Hard to believe really that the guy who once co-created Felicity almost 20 years ago is such a highly regarded genre director now.
Old 03-15-17, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
We've had alcoholic superman.
Played by Affleck no less!

IMO, the only plan now is to do individual movies rather than anything interconnected. Solo Batman. Solo Nightwing. Solo Flash (which I don't see happening), etc. It's actually what they should have done after MOS.
I am against the "Young Han Solo" movie and I am against these further derivatives of the Solo legacy and DC characters.
Old 03-15-17, 11:02 PM
Banned by request

Well..that settles it.

/thread
Old 03-19-17, 03:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Actor Joe Manganiello is no longer certain about his role as Deathstroke in Ben Affleck’s Batman movie.

During an interview with Pittsburgh Today Live promoting the new Smurfs movie, Manganiello was briefly questioned about his role as the villain in the upcoming Batman film. Asked if he was playing Deathstroke, Manganiello responded with “Umm. Maybe. We’ll see.”
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/...-in-the-batman

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.