Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Batman (D: ?) S: Affleck

I said this movie would be pushed back and probably turn out a disaster, yep.
Old 01-30-17, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX

I said this movie would be pushed back and probably turn out a disaster, yep.
I think you mean

Old 01-30-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
That sounds like damage control to me because he knows it doesn't look good. I'm sure WB knows it doesn't too.
I'm thinking Ben wanted more time to work on the script, as he previously stated he would not rush it until it was perfect, but WB wants the movie made.
Old 01-30-17, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I think you mean

Nice! Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Old 01-30-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably didn't help that Live By Night wasn't so hot, so attaching himself to something that he knows will have the spotlight after having to deal with all the negativity around Batman V Superman would be rough as a director.
Old 01-30-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm thinking Ben wanted more time to work on the script, as he previously stated he would not rush it until it was perfect, but WB wants the movie made.
Agreed. Affleck probably wanted to take the time to make a great film but Warner wants to fast track it so they can make their money because fuck quality. The only hope that this film now has in my opinion is getting a great director to replace Affleck. Someone like Fincher possibly. I have to wonder if a big name like that would even want to attach themselves to something like this at this point though.
Old 01-30-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Eh, can't really blame him. Looking at the list of the biggest budgeted heavy FX movies ever made, none of them had the director also produce and star in it. The closest one can get is James Cameron and the many hats he wears, but that's James Cameron.

Plus take into account the bomb that is Live By Night and the precarious state of the DCEU, it's not a huge leap to have the WB execs hedge their bets.
Mel Gibson directed himself in Braveheart, which was a $72 Million budget in 1995, which equals about 116 Million in today's dollars.
Old 01-30-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

And if Mel Gibson isn't the portrait of mental stability, I don't know Klaxar, the general of the moon men.
Old 01-31-17, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I think there are still some very sensible reasons for this... Ben just did a 60m dollar movie that bombed, lost the whole budget and then some...that was his biggest budget to date right? Even though he has an office on WB's lot...you can imagine his hesitancy to take on a 150M+ movie...even if it is Batman. Maybe he just doesn't want to do a big budget film...

The very real physical limitations of being in the Batman suit...hard enough to act and direct...but nobody has done it being in a costume that limits even the most basic movements...how practical would it be for him to come over in costume and look at the shots?
Old 01-31-17, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Thats the same thing I thought of at the end of Dark Knight Rises
Old 01-31-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
I think there are still some very sensible reasons for this... Ben just did a 60m dollar movie that bombed, lost the whole budget and then some...that was his biggest budget to date right? Even though he has an office on WB's lot...you can imagine his hesitancy to take on a 150M+ movie...even if it is Batman. Maybe he just doesn't want to do a big budget film...

The very real physical limitations of being in the Batman suit...hard enough to act and direct...but nobody has done it being in a costume that limits even the most basic movements...how practical would it be for him to come over in costume and look at the shots?
It's possible that Live By Night flopping pushed him and Warner over the edge of him dropping out but I don't think that's the entire reason. He seemed like he really wanted to do this film until the past month or so when he would get irritated by getting asked questions about it. Then he comes out and says he's doing it but just needs more time to work on it a couple weeks ago to suddenly announcing he's not doing it. Something doesn't jive there if you ask me. I'm guessing that there's been talks between him and Warner for quite a while about this needing to be out soon and he's felt pressured which is why he's probably been getting upset over being asked about it. I doubt that it just suddenly came about that he felt he couldn't handle directing and starring. It was probably more of a disagreement on when to get the film out and both parties are now trying to save face. At this point with amount of fuck ups with these films I'm not willing to give Warner the benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-31-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are people making excuses for WB? Seriously Affleck has proven to be a competent writer and director. Sure this would be a bigger scale film but he went from being really passionate about wanting to do it and going so far as to push out other projects he wanted to do to dropping out entirely. There's something fishy there and it's not that he wasn't up to the task. This reeks of Warner pushing for a sooner release date and compromising quality which Affleck didn't want. They have a history of doing this so why would this be any different?
I am shocked, shocked that you of all people would be pessimistic about a DC movie.

As for Affleck, what probably happened was a lot of things. Live by Night bombed and he has taken that hard, the stress of directing a huge movie in costume by himself, and the fact that if it underperforms with him writing, directing, acting and producing then his career is officially dead. Plus he probably wanted a longer pre-production schedule then WB wanted so it makes sense.
Old 01-31-17, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
I am shocked, shocked that you of all people would be pessimistic about a DC movie.
Give me a reason not to be. I'm a DC fan just not of the current films. They've made three straight mediocre to bad films. If that's not enough the behind the scenes drama seems to continue on upcoming and in development films. They're a mess at the moment and it's blind fanboyism to not see that.
Old 01-31-17, 10:22 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I'm going to guess Gavin O'Connor will replace since Affleck just worked with him.

Wild guess... George Miller.
Old 01-31-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Paging Brett Ratner...

Old 01-31-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my theory on what happened here: With the Flash getting a page one re-write that probably pushed its release date out of next year, that leaves WB with only one movie on their DC slate for 2018--Aquaman. They either don't have enough confidence in that one or they feel it's not enough to just release one DCEU movie so they probably pressured Batfleck to have this out by next year. And he didn't want to.

Can't really blame them. They needed something to stand up to Avengers Infinity War and Aquaman wasn't going to be that movie. So of course they double down on the best thing to come out of their horrible trilogy so far--Batman.
Old 01-31-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Forgot about Matt Reeves, think he would do a great job
Old 01-31-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think at this point for the film to work its critical that they get a director who's going to work well with Affleck. I'm sure Affleck already has some ideas in mind about how he wants the script to go and whatnot so if there's someone brought on board that he's going to clash with over creative decisions it'll obviously be a bad thing. Hopefully Warner doesn't decide to just hire some random director they can get for cheap to do the job. Someone like a David Fincher who Affleck has worked with would be good. Plus a Fincher directed Batman film could be amazing if they could get him to do it. A guy like Matt Reeves probably would be alright too.
Old 01-31-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Give me a reason not to be. I'm a DC fan just not of the current films. They've made three straight mediocre to bad films. If that's not enough the behind the scenes drama seems to continue on upcoming and in development films. They're a mess at the moment and it's blind fanboyism to not see that.
Oh I see it. You can say it's blind fanboysim to wait and see and your right. But by the same exact token it's blind fanboyism to immediately go "ZOMG this random person knows another random person who said the next DC movie sucks!" I must go and let me hatred of something which I have not seen yet be known!". Calm down. Believe it or not, projects die down in Hollywood all the time, creators leave all the time(yes even at Marvel) it happens. We just don't know about because they aren't click bait like the DCU movies are.
Old 01-31-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Oh I see it. You can say it's blind fanboysim to wait and see and your right. But by the same exact token it's blind fanboyism to immediately go "ZOMG this random person knows another random person who said the next DC movie sucks!" I must go and let me hatred of something which I have not seen yet be known!". Calm down. Believe it or not, projects die down in Hollywood all the time, creators leave all the time(yes even at Marvel) it happens. We just don't know about because they aren't click bait like the DCU movies are.
In his defense, DCU does not have the track record to automatically get the benefit of the doubt when things go wonky behind the scenes. Like with Ant-Man - I was willing to trust them to figure it out when Wright left and we got a fun movie after all. I understand if people wanted more or something different but what we ended up getting was fine and it was the MCU track record that helped me believe things would be okay.

If Wonder Womanis good (and I hope it is), I'll start to trust them more.
Old 01-31-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I think DC should just give up on making superhero movies.
Old 01-31-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Marvel has had known issues with one film to date which is Ant-Man. I'm sure if they had other major production issues we'd hear about them too. It's not just everyone is against DC and bad news gets reported about them. They've clearly got a lot of problems and there's no track record to back then up that says differently. Plus let's not forget this issue along with the issues The Flash film is having have been publicized by legitimate sources, not just some Joe Blow anti DC clickbait articles.
Old 01-31-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I wouldn't say Ant-Man is the one film they've had issues with.

They took away creative control from Ed Norton on Incredible Hulk
Joss Whedon seemed to have issues making Avengers 2, saying "It broke me"
Marvel fired Patty Jenkins from Thor 2
Recasting James Rhodes between Iron Man 1 and 2 (which I was fine with) due to lowballing Terrence Howard.
Old 01-31-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I might be misremembering or listening to my own bias, but I thought Ant-Man got just as much shit as any of the DC movies during pre-production for the Edgar Wright thing.

As for this, I think Affleck stepping down is a pretty big deal. Much bigger then some of the other writer/director changes because of how high of a regard I hold Affleck as a director and that there's been a lot of talk about his involvement in the DC movies creatively.
Old 01-31-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I wouldn't say Ant-Man is the one film they've had issues with.

They took away creative control from Ed Norton on Incredible Hulk
Joss Whedon seemed to have issues making Avengers 2, saying "It broke me"
Marvel fired Patty Jenkins from Thor 2
Recasting James Rhodes between Iron Man 1 and 2 (which I was fine with) due to lowballing Terrence Howard.
Yeah I thought of other issues they had after posting. I think Edgar Wright dropping out of Ant-Man is really the biggest issue they've had to date as it seemed at the time like it could have major impact on the film. Fortunately it came out fine anyways.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.