Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I know Nolan intended his trilogy to stand on its own, but I bet if you ask Nolan and WB about the relationship between the Dark Knight films and the DCEU, they'd both have very different answers.

Batman's crime-fighting and eventual murder of Harvey Dent inspires more costumed freaks like the Suicide Squad. I would say BvS takes place about 15 years after TDKR. At some point, the Joker kills John Blake in an attempt to coax Batman back into action. It works, Bruce returns to Gotham and the murder of his friend causes him to fight crime in a more angry and violent fashion, leading to stuff like the branding. He knocks the Joker's teeth out and eventually the stuff in Metropolis goes down.

I'm not saying that's a theory that I want, personally I love the Nolan films, hate the shared universe stuff, and wish we'd just continue getting quality solo Batman films without silly characters like Superman. But with the success of the Nolan trilogy, I think WB wants the average viewer to assume the films are all connected. That's WB has been vague about the new franchise and not come out and said Batman is a reboot from the Nolan films. That's why we got an older, TDKR-inspired Batman. I mean, with all of the issues you guys seem to have with MoS and BvS, do you think WB is going to let a couple of minor continuity issues between the franchises bother them?
I believe WB wanted Nolan's Bats to be part of their ideas for more heroes involved but Nolan nixed that and well... Bale won't budge for anything w/o Nolan on it so that's where Nolan made TDKR.

Aside from that. I think Snyder just wanted to do as much of DKR as possible to put his Bats as a seasoned guy. As far as we know... Joker's been around for a while and Harley too cuz we already got a Robin that's been dead for a good while. We don't know really know much about the other freaks and their timelines... exactly. I don't think it's WB making a soft continuation of the TDK films.
Old 08-31-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I believe WB wanted Nolan's Bats to be part of their ideas for more heroes involved but Nolan nixed that and well... Bale won't budge for anything w/o Nolan on it so that's where Nolan made TDKR.

Aside from that. I think Snyder just wanted to do as much of DKR as possible to put his Bats as a seasoned guy. As far as we know... Joker's been around for a while and Harley too cuz we already got a Robin that's been dead for a good while. We don't know really know much about the other freaks and their timelines... exactly. I don't think it's WB making a soft continuation of the TDK films.
Let me ask you this. Do you think WB would prefer if audiences believed the franchises were connected?
Old 08-31-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The thing is though you don't have to really dig deep to find a good Batman villain. Just off the top of my head decent villains not used I'd like to see: Black Mask, Clayface, Hugo Strange, Hush, Mad Hatter, Man-Bat, Red Hood. Plus that's not even taking into account previous villains used that weren't done well such as Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, and The Riddler.
I would bet Deathstroke is better known to the general public than any of those. Lotsa folks here on dvdtalk may hate Arrow, but that's where Deathstroke was introduced to many people. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if it's revealed that one of the reasons they chose him because of his similarity to Deadpool. (Deathstroke was created first though)
Old 08-31-16, 01:18 PM
Banned

Believed? At first... sure? If they could softly do so but they haven't. WB has made it insanely obvious that this is a different Batman w/ his own lived in world. I'm not sure how much lack of subtlety to that there can be.

You'd have to not watch the film or see some of the marketing to not get that it wasn't.
Old 08-31-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Believed? At first... sure? If they could softly do so but they haven't. WB has made it insanely obvious that this is a different Batman w/ his own lived in world. I'm not sure how much lack of subtlety to that there can be.

You'd have to not watch the film or see some of the marketing to not get that it wasn't.
Nah, you can easily make it fit. Especially when you consider the other plot holes and inconsistencies in the DCCU thus far. It's obvious that they're making it up as they go along, they didn't have a plan from MoS to BvS. They made it work with Bruce's prologue in Metropolis, but they came up with that after the fact. Even if they don't come out and say "remember what happened to Harvey Dent?" they left it vague enough for viewers to be confused about the connection.
Old 08-31-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly, when Deathstroke first appeared in TT#2 (1980) I thought he was a low rent version of Deadshot created to fight the Teen Titans. They looked similar except for the colors.
Old 08-31-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mrhan
Honestly, when Deathstroke first appeared in TT#2 (1980) I thought he was a low rent version of Deadshot created to fight the Teen Titans. They looked similar except for the colors.
Old 08-31-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I wouldn't mind a permanent moratorium on new comic book characters with "death" in their name. It got ridiculous in the 90s.
Old 08-31-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know, I think an anti-hero named DeadDeath could be pretty badass. Especially when he fights his arch-nemesis DeathDead.
Old 08-31-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I would bet Deathstroke is better known to the general public than any of those. Lotsa folks here on dvdtalk may hate Arrow, but that's where Deathstroke was introduced to many people. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if it's revealed that one of the reasons they chose him because of his similarity to Deadpool. (Deathstroke was created first though)
I don't know that the villain being well known really matters a ton. It only really helps in a case where the villain is as popular as the hero. My main point was that there are a bunch of actual Batman villains out there that could be used first. It's mostly a preference for me but a guy like Deathstroke just doesn't have the same history with Batman that makes him a compelling villain to me. If he was facing off against the Teen Titans or Green Arrow it'd be different since he's more known for fighting those heroes. It's an extreme example but to me it's a bit like putting The Joker in a Superman film. He's a villain and Superman could face him but everyone knows that he's more of a Batman villain.
Old 08-31-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

In the video I posted above Deathstroke/Slade was used in 2 Superman shows and Arrow. So there is a history of using him outside of the Teen Titans against different heroes. Clearly DC likes using him like this so using against Batman isn't a stretch.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-31-16 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The mid-70's Marshall Rogers version of Deadshot was what I thought of when Deathstroke first appeared in TT.

Old 08-31-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

They kept a lot of those flourishes in Suicide Squad. ^
Old 08-31-16, 04:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Solomon Grundy or bust.
Old 08-31-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TGM
Solomon Grundy or bust.
But....he's a 1940's Green Lantern villain.
Old 08-31-16, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually would be down for seeing more Deadshot. I normally don't care for Will Smith but I actually liked him in Suicide Squad. Problem is I think its a bit hard to place any of the characters from that film as villains when we were supposed to like them to a degree.
Old 08-31-16, 05:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But....he's a 1940's Green Lantern villain.
was he? I only know him from the Superfriends, Legion of Doom.
Old 08-31-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TGM
Yes. He goes back to the 1940's. But yeah, most of us know him from that cartoon. I was being snarky since some were complaining about Deathstroke being a Teen Titans villain.
Old 08-31-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure why the point I'm making is hard to understand. Batman has one of the strongest groups of villains out there that he doesn't need a fill in villain that isn't one of his primary antagonists. It comes across odd that they'd go with someone like Deathstroke when there are so many characters out there for Batman to face off against that he's much more established to have a history with. I'm sure the film will be fine but as a Batman fan there are just way more villains that I'd like to see used.
Old 08-31-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We've had seven Batman films since 1989. How many have had a single villain? Haven't they all ready established that The Batman will have multiple villains?
Old 08-31-16, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TGM
There was even an original Harlequin that fought GL and they eventually got married. She was part of the Injustice Gang that also included Solomon Grundy.
Old 08-31-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not sure why the point I'm making is hard to understand. Batman has one of the strongest groups of villains out there that he doesn't need a fill in villain that isn't one of his primary antagonists. It comes across odd that they'd go with someone like Deathstroke when there are so many characters out there for Batman to face off against that he's much more established to have a history with. I'm sure the film will be fine but as a Batman fan there are just way more villains that I'd like to see used.
I don't think it's a matter of people not understanding, seems to me just not everyone agrees on that being an issue.
Old 08-31-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it's an opinion and I'm not saying that I'm necessarily right. I just think it makes more sense to go with hero/villain combinations that are well established. Especially given that there's a a limited number of solo films that will be made to me it feels wasteful to not use someone more established as a Batman villain.
Old 08-31-16, 10:15 PM
Banned

But it's not wrong either. It's a universe of characters. Is it weird to see a first stand off like this? Kind of sort of or whatever. Typically we'd see a regular pairing like a Joker and Bats or a Bane and Bats and etc. etc. The usual. It's not wrong for them to go w/ Deathstroke either as his foe, in whatever stake Slade has in this film.. whatever the fuck that is.

It's not the norm.. and that's all it is. At least, Slade fits well enough to be in a Bats film.
Old 09-01-16, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not saying it is wrong just my opinion that there are better villains who are more actual Batman villains who I'd rather see used. Honestly I really can't even think of another comic book film where the hero has taken on a villain that was someone aside from a normal villain from their universe either (not including original characters created for a film). Deathstroke does fit Batman's universe I agree and has appeared in some Batman media but still he's not really primarily a Batman villain.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.