Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-09-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Looks like Ben Affleck directing the next Batman movie: http://io9.com/ben-affleck-will-dire...joh-1716901328

It’s been rumored for a while, but now Warner Bros. has finally managed to roll a big enough wheelbarrow full of cash convinced Oscar-winning director Ben Affleck to direct and star in the first new stand-alone Batman movie of the new DC cinematic universe, from a script by DC Comics’ Geoff Johns.

Johns is of course DC’s Chief Creative Officer, the guy they put on all the big comic titles (including Justice League and Superman), and an occasional scriptwriter for several DC shows including Arrow and The Flash. He also developed CBS’ Supergirl series, so in terms of live-action DC entertainment, he’s on a bit of a roll. Plus, he and Affleck are BFFs—from Deadline:

My studio sources tell me that Affleck and Johns are well in synch and have more than found their rhythm. In fact, they are likely to turn in a script before the end of the summer, prior to Affleck going off to direct Live By Night in November. Affleck postponed that pic to star in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. The Batman movie would shoot after he finishes Live By Night, and the plot would reflect the Batman character that emerges after Batman V Superman and Justice League, the latter of which comes out November 17, 2017. DC and Warner Bros have set a long list of superhero movies that take the Marvel formula of interspersing characters from one film to the next, so it’s unclear when Affleck’s Batfilm will be slotted.

But it will clearly take priority and other movies might have to move to get out of its way.
A Batman movie directed byAffleck? The executives at Warner Bros. have to be high-fiving each other with cocaine-covered hands over this. My concern is that Affleck likes dark and gritty crime stories way more than Nolan ever did—could he possibly bring something new to the character that we haven’t seen in theaters?
Old 07-09-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Firsties!!!!1!
Old 07-09-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Should be interesting. I like Affleck as a director quite a bit but I'm still not sure if I'm sold on him as Batman. Not that I think he'll be bad just definitely wouldn't have been my first choice.
Old 07-09-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

To be fair, he wasn't Warner's first (or second) choice. IIRC, they wanted to get Bale back and he turned it down and then Karl Urban was up for it but he had to turn it down because he was doing that Fox show, "Almost Human" which of course was cancelled after one season...
Old 07-09-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Urban would have been good in my opinion. I feel like Affleck is too mainstream for the role even though I don't mind him and do think he's gotten better as an actor. I also still think there might be a problem for me at least of looking past that its him in the role as I don't always necessarily get lost in his performances.
Old 07-09-15, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any chance the op can change the title to El Batman?

Old 07-09-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Ugh.
Old 07-09-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
To be fair, he wasn't Warner's first (or second) choice. IIRC, they wanted to get Bale back and he turned it down and then Karl Urban was up for it but he had to turn it down because he was doing that Fox show, "Almost Human" which of course was cancelled after one season...
I didn't know that. That decision may go down as one of the most boneheaded decisions in Hollywood history.

Of course he may have already been contractually obligated to Fox but still...
Old 07-09-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Should be interesting. I like Affleck as a director quite a bit but I'm still not sure if I'm sold on him as Batman. Not that I think he'll be bad just definitely wouldn't have been my first choice.
That's about where I'm at... my interest in this is mostly on him writing/directing. Looking forward to the behind the scenes extras with him coming over to look at the shots while in the batsuit...
Old 07-09-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

http://time.com/3952425/ben-affleck-...e-direct-star/
Old 07-09-15, 11:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Affleck will do fine as both Wayne and Bats but he's still Ben Affleck
Old 07-09-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I didn't know that. That decision may go down as one of the most boneheaded decisions in Hollywood history.

Of course he may have already been contractually obligated to Fox but still...
I'm fairly sure it was a contract issue as well as just time. OTOH, maybe he wasn't that interested either. Who knows. Remember, Matt Damon turned down the chance to play Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight.

As for The Batman, I'd like to see some kind of appearance from Hush.
Old 07-10-15, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
any chance the op can change the title to El Batman?

You're trying too hard.
Old 07-10-15, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get it.
Old 07-10-15, 12:08 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Is Ben Affleck Latino?
Old 07-10-15, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't get it either.
Old 07-10-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

So what's the soonest a standalone Batman movie with Ben could come out 2018? 2019? Is Ben contracted to do the Justice League movie too?
Old 07-10-15, 12:37 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So what's the soonest a standalone Batman movie with Ben could come out 2018? 2019? Is Ben contracted to do the Justice League movie too?
From what I've read, the Justice League movie will come out before this one.
Old 07-10-15, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's my understanding as well since the story mentions dealing with the aftermath of events occurring in BvS and JL. I assume it'll be release in between the JL movies. If this story is true, about when it'll occur, I can see Warner pushing The Flash back (or maybe just delay it all together) and put The Batman in a slot in 2018.

Not sure about the whole timing as scheduling for Affleck is going to be insane. Once he's done making Live By Night, maybe early/mid 2016 depending on when the script is done, he might get a short break before going into filming Justice League Part One and somewhere in that filming, might be in pre-production for The Batman.
Old 07-10-15, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 395 Likes on 264 Posts

Between X Men, Wolverine, Gambit, Deadpool, Spider-man, Ant-Man, Thor, Captain America, Nick Fury, Avengers: Infinity War 1&2 Batman vs Superman, Batman ,The Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Justice League 1&2, Fantastic Four and all the individual sequels, I think the bottom is gonna fall out on comic book movies at some point in the next 2 years and half of these won't even get made.
Old 07-10-15, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Between X Men, Wolverine, Gambit, Deadpool, Spider-man, Ant-Man, Thor, Captain America, Nick Fury, Avengers: Infinity War 1&2 Batman vs Superman, Batman ,The Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Justice League 1&2, Fantastic Four and all the individual sequels, I think the bottom is gonna fall out on comic book movies at some point in the next 2 years and half of these won't even get made.
I think that the primary reason we're seeing so many superhero movies now is that about ten years ago the CGI technology finally matured to the point where they were finally able to pull this stuff off. (The first Spider-Man and X-Men films kicked the trend off, and they're pretty primitive special-effects-wise compared to what we have today.) Superheroes are the next level of big loud action films, and audiences are eating it up.

I do, however, think we're looking at a coming glut of spandex with the MCU, the DCCU, and Fox's X-Men universe.

I'm sure that the Marvel movies will continue through Phase III, but I could see them losing audience once the 'big' franchises are exhausted and the actors (RDJ, the Chrises) move on. Will Doctor Strange and Black Panther be able to carry the MCU?

It will be interesting to see how Ant-Man does. If it's a solid hit, then Marvel is pretty much unstoppable at this point. If it flops, then I think they'll soldier on, but it might effect whatever Phase IV plans they have.

DC has, so far, been really cagey with their cinematic universe. It really seems like they're taking baby steps here. Marvel managed six movies in four years, Iron Man to Avengers. It's going to take DC almost three years to get their second movie out.

Unlike Marvel, I think that the DCCU is one flop away from being abandoned. If Suicide Squad flops, then I wouldn't be surprised if their cinematic universe stops with Justice League. Or they'll do what they did with their animated features and it will be all Superman and Batman.

Fox also has a really ambitious slate with their X-Men franchise. X-Men Apocalypse, Deadpool, Wolverine III, Gambit, New Mutants, and X-Force. I wonder how they'll handle these; will Deadpool be branded X-Men: Deadpool, or something since he was a fairly forgettable character in fairly forgettable entry in the X-Men franchise. I know he's popular as hell in the comics, but I don't think he's well known outside of comics readers.

I do believe that, eventually, these things are going to start bombing. The only question is which one is going to be the first? In the grand scheme of things, one movie that shits the bed isn't a huge deal, but these are being sold as franchises, so if Deadpool or Ant-Man or Suicide Squad fails to connect with audiences it could start a domino reaction.
Old 07-10-15, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Deadpool
X-Men Apocalypse
Batman vs Superman
Suicide Squad
Captain America Civil War
Doctor Strange
Gambit
Wolverine III
Wonder Woman
Justice League Pt. I
Spider-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy II
Thor Ragnarok
Flash
Aquaman
Avengers Infinity War I
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Shazam
Cyborg
Avengers Infnity War II
Inhumans
Justice League Pt. II
Green Lantern
X-Force
New Mutants
Batman

That's a whole lot of superhero movies tied to cinematic universes coming out in the next five years...
Old 07-10-15, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
will Deadpool be branded X-Men: Deadpool, or something since he was a fairly forgettable character in fairly forgettable entry in the X-Men franchise. I know he's popular as hell in the comics, but I don't think he's well known outside of comics readers.
Since Deadpool is R-rated, I doubt Fox uses the X-men IP to brand it. Don't want to tarnish general perception about the X-men franchise.
Old 07-10-15, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

That's a whole lot of superhero movies tied to cinematic universes coming out in the next five years...
It looks like a lot, but there are 19 movies opening in theaters just today.
Old 07-10-15, 07:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The problem with these franchise reboots is once you have an actor who plays a great superhero, it is very hard to think of anyone else as them. When I think of Superman, I think of Christopher Reeve. When I think of Batman, I think of Christian Bale. When I think of Spiderman, I think of Tobey Maguire.

Its like making an Indiana Jones movie with someone else playing him other then Harrison Ford.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.