Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Old 07-10-15, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by jurasic
It is a amazing movie. I really like it now these days i am craeting a 3d movie.
Ganesh returns!
Old 07-10-15, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
The problem with these franchise reboots is once you have an actor who plays a great superhero, it is very hard to think of anyone else as them. When I think of Superman, I think of Christopher Reeve. When I think of Batman, I think of Christian Bale. When I think of Spiderman, I think of Tobey Maguire.

Its like making an Indiana Jones movie with someone else playing him other then Harrison Ford.
If you think of the original actors instead of the reboot actors, then why would you think of Christian Bale instead of Michael Keaton or Adam West?

Personally, I just see the different actors playing the same character as kind of similar to how the characters are drawn differently by different artists in the comics. So when a new actor is hired to play the character in the movie, it is like when a new artist is hired to draw the character in the comics.

While I do wish the same actor would play the character in the movies forever for continuity's sake, that is an impossible expectation in the real world. I can't realistically expect Michael Keaton to still be playing Batman 25 years later. Imagine if Sean Connery was still playing James Bond. Who wants an 80 year old James Bond?
Old 07-10-15, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
The problem with these franchise reboots is once you have an actor who plays a great superhero, it is very hard to think of anyone else as them. When I think of Superman, I think of Christopher Reeve. When I think of Batman, I think of Christian Bale. When I think of Spiderman, I think of Tobey Maguire.

Its like making an Indiana Jones movie with someone else playing him other then Harrison Ford.

Very few actors own a superhero character. Bale doesn't own it. Keaton didn't own it. West didn't own it.

The character of Batman hasn't really been written well enough, or written less, to where an actor can own it. When you think of a Batman, you think whatever the fuck leads you up to it. Nostalgia, quality, entertainment, all 3 or whatever. Batman hasn't been developed in the Live action realm to where we have some definitive take on it or whatever.

Downey Jr. pretty much owns Iron Man. Not because he was the first... because it's RDJr. playing himself and himself is wildly spit firing and all this bullshit that makes up IM ESPECIALLY in visual media beyond Film. Reeves owned Superman cuz he was a solid actor and actually lived up to the title outside of film. Hugh Jackman is Logan because he has developed that character for so long and made it his to where the mantle taken from that role would be hard cuz he's pretty much already accomplished the zenith of character by now, weak scripts or not.

Ford is Indy. Why? Not because he was a great character, he is. But because so much of that character is Ford. I'm sure Indy was fun on paper but look at Ford's work and see him in interviews or whatever... A lot of the minutiae that makes Indy is inherent in Ford. The mannerisms, reactions, and the body language.

Having a hard time to not think about the actor before? Are you taking a fucking piss? That's all you and how much you center on that actor for yourself. VERY FEW franchise roles are SOOOOOO ingrained towards an actor portraying a pop culture character. Bale is/was cool and badass as Bats cuz it's the now. You really take a close view at JUST the character. Look at it w/o some favoritism and start to break him down for a narrative structure. The character has never really written well. He's been cool and the whatnot but never been great to where Bale could be THE Batman. He's great cuz he's playing the fucking Batman.
Old 07-10-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Out of all the comic book heroes I think the only one that will stand the test of time much like Reeve has as Supes is Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

Bale was awesome as Batman but he's not THE Batman. Just one of many variations. To me Jackman IS Wolverine, much the same way Harrison Ford IS Indy and Solo(for the reasons Snake said). Of course we have yet to see someone else in the role, but I think it's gonna be hard to replace him.
Old 07-10-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Marvel and RDJ turned Iron Man into RDJ for the movie. And it worked brilliantly. The next person playing in the role has the thankless job of either (1) aping RDJ or (2) bringing a whole new take to the character. The first is a recipe for disaster, the second a radical approach that may or may not be embraced by audiences.

The rest of the Marvel movie characters could easily be replaced. Captain America (Evans is good but not defining), Thor, Black Widow, Hulk, Hawkeye, Spider-Man, etc... good actors but not leaving indelible imprints.

Anyway back to the thread, Affleck the filmmaker is a great choice for new Batman movies. Affleck the actor? Let's see how BvS works out.
Old 07-10-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Iron Man/Stark is just a rich playboy in a costume like Batman/Wayne though. Tough but doable.
Old 07-10-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they don't opt for a villain we haven't seen before, I'd love to see a non-campy/Carrey version of The Riddler.
Old 07-10-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 970 Likes on 683 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, Reeve=Superman, Jackman=Wolverine and Downey=Iron Man. Those are the only 3 guys who have owned their roles to the point where it's weird to see (or will be) a different actor playing them.

As much as I like Bale and enjoyed him as Batman, I don't think he left any notable mark on the role. I don't necessarily love Affleck, but Bale is easily replaced.
Old 07-10-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
If they don't opt for a villain we haven't seen before, I'd love to see a non-campy/Carrey version of The Riddler.
I'd like to see Mr. Freeze done right.
Old 07-10-15, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket1312
As much as I like Bale and enjoyed him as Batman, I don't think he left any notable mark on the role. I don't necessarily love Affleck, but Bale is easily replaced.
The only notable mark Bale left on the role is the over-the-top Bat-voice acting. SWEAR TO ME! I'M NOT WEARING HOCKEY PADS! WHERE'S THE TRIGGER? WHERE IS IT?
Old 07-10-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'd like to see Mr. Freeze done right.
Mr. Freeze done well would be awesome. I'd also like to see some of the more out there villains like Clayface or Killer Croc. The problem I feel is that DC is trying to make their universe dark and serious so if they chose to go with a more out there villain it'll probably come across stupid. Either that or they just won't do villains like that and just go with the stand by villains we've seen used.
Old 07-10-15, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
Mr. Freeze done well would be awesome. I'd also like to see some of the more out there villains like Clayface or Killer Croc. The problem I feel is that DC is trying to make their universe dark and serious so if they chose to go with a more out there villain it'll probably be stupid. Either that or they just won't do villains like that and just go with the stand by villains we've seen used.
Killer Croc is in the Suicide Squad movie. He is second on the right in the pic below.

Old 07-10-15, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly forgot that he was even in that. I'd prefer the more out there Croc though rather than just some guy who looks like he has a skin condition.
Old 07-10-15, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
I honestly forgot that he was even in that. I'd prefer the more out there Croc though rather than just some guy who looks like he has a skin condition.
He originally was just a man with a skin condition in the comics. It's only been fairly recently that he has started mutating into more of an animal.
Old 07-10-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
He originally was just a man with a skin condition in the comics. It's only been fairly recently that he has started mutating into more of an animal. (I think that started happening in the Hush storyarc in the early 2000s.)
Yeah I know. I just think that the guy with a skin condition isn't as cool or interesting personally. Visually he looks a lot cooler in his more animal like form. Another villain I'd love to see used is Man-Bat. He's always been one of my personal favorite Batman villains.
Old 07-10-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Out of all the comic book heroes I think the only one that will stand the test of time much like Reeve has as Supes is Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

Bale was awesome as Batman but he's not THE Batman. Just one of many variations. To me Jackman IS Wolverine, much the same way Harrison Ford IS Indy and Solo(for the reasons Snake said). Of course we have yet to see someone else in the role, but I think it's gonna be hard to replace him.
To many, there is only one Batman and he's been THE Batman... Kevin Conroy.
Old 07-10-15, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by devilshalo
To many, there is only one Batman and he's been THE Batman... Kevin Conroy.
In a visual medium? Pretty much. He's in various forms made a somewhat definitive type of Batman based on the wealth of material allowed for him to be used and to use the character. Much like Hamill for The Joker. These film characters, so many, don't have the luxury that Conroy and Hamill had w/ their roles. Very FEW comic book characters have had actors that have, as someone mentioned, imprinted themselves to BE the character always in the zeitgeist. RDJr is still very young in it (almost 8 years now) BUT look how much has changed w/ IM in any visual motion medium now. He IS Iron Man now.

As stated before... the only actors to totally be wrapped up in their comic book role, for whatever reason and form, are the ones already mentioned. RDJr, Jackman, and Reeve. It's not because we LOVE them so much... it's because of so much more than that.

I dig Cavill, he LOOKS and could most likely be a damn fine Supes... but he doesn't have the material to breathe a soul into it. To make this character real in a world that isn't. That's one of the things that make the 3 mentioned already such strong identity to their roles.

That's why Ford is Indy and Han too.
Old 10-30-15, 11:47 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Exclusive: Spoilery details on solo Batman film and key characters involved

While you can certainly treat this as a rumor, I'm giving fair warning in advance: SPOILERS.

Spoiler:
Last week we shared some details on what the solo WONDER WOMAN film had in store and this week we've got some juicy tidbits on the developing solo BATMAN film, as well as one of the key players that is set to make his big debut there: The Red Hood, aka the resurrected Jason Todd. For those that don't know, Todd was actually killed by The Joker in 1988's "A Death In The Family" storyline by Jim Starlin & Jim Aparo, before being resurrected via a Lazarus Pit, taking on the identity of The Red Hood (originally embodied by The Joker before he became The Joker) and becoming a sort of anti-hero/vigilante/crime boss. He has since become a main player in the comics as well as a rogue member of the ever-growing Bat family.

So, how does The Red Hood factor into the future of the DCEU?

To put it simply: Red Hood will play a major role in it, especially for Bruce Wayne/Batman. A while back Latino Review ran a scoop that Red Hood was a "priority" character and that lines up with what we've heard as well. Our sources indicate that Red Hood will be a key player in the first new solo Batman film, which is said to be adapting both the "A Death in the Family" and "Under The Hood" storylines from the comics. Essentially, Red Hood is DC’s answer to Marvel’s Winter Soldier; former sidekicks gone evil and seeking a chance at redemption.

Recently, Ben Affleck said he’s interested in directing the solo Batman film, which he is writing with DC's own Geoff Johns. According to our sources, the basic plotline of Affleck’s solo Batfilm is that Jason Todd has returned from the grave as the Red Hood, working in the shadows to make people think he's Batman, while making Batman look like a criminal. At the same time he leaves clues about his identity for Bruce/Batman to ultimately solve, leading to a confrontation that will involve Batman, Red Hood, and yes, The Joker, who will feature as a primary villain alongside Red Hood.

Naturally, the question will come up about whether or not Red Hood will be referenced as the second Robin and if Dick Grayson, the first Robin will play a role. According to our sources, Grayson is now Nightwing and will be referenced but not seen in Batman V Superman. However, Grayson is expected to show up in the solo Bat-film, assisting Batman in his battle against Red Hood and The Joker.

So, if you’re a fan of Red Hood and Nightwing, get ready to be happy. It’s also possible that we’ll see a cameo from Red Hood, both in Batman V Superman and/or Suicide Squad, but that’s still unconfirmed. However, if you’ve seen the trailer for Batman V Superman, which you most certainly have, then you’ve seen Bruce Wayne seeing and reacting to a particular note that stirs him up. In fact, we see Bruce staring at Robin’s costume in the batcave, which leads us to believe that he’s still dealing with that wound in a big way. With that much set up it's easy to see that they're laying the foundation for a much bigger tale to be told in the DCEU.

In terms of casting for Red Hood, it looks like WB/DC are looking for an unknown to fill the role, much like Ray Fisher for Cyborg. In terms of his look, we’re told that he’ll look very much like he does in the comics, as well as his Arkham Knight videogame series appearances. That could shake out in many different ways for his final incarnation, but you get the idea.

It’s unclear how closely Affleck & Johns will be adapting the "A Death in the Family" and "Under The Hood" storylines, but I’d guess that it will be more of a framework reference as they create their own version of each story. Personally, I think the choice of using those well-known arcs to kick off the solo Batman series is the smartest way to go. It capitalizes on two of the best Batman stories in the last 30 years and utilizes the characters that are not only essential Batman characters, but ones that could easily branch off into their own films, notably Red Hood and Nightwing.

As this project is still being developed there’s always room for things to change or even have some elements get scrapped altogether, but at this time this is the direction we’re being told that they’re headed and I couldn’t be more excited. Many have expressed doubts about how the DCEU will unfold as their first phase of films roll out, but I love the fact that it’s getting underway with a rich history already in place, rather than starting from scratch. It’s a very different model than the way Marvel has gone, which was a slow roll to their current state. DC and WB sound like they’re ready to hit the ground running and come March of next year we’ll get our first taste of that when BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE hits theaters and gets this DC madness underway. I can't wait!
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/excl...s-involved-298
Old 10-30-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That sounds pretty good to me, that story has worked out well recently so I wouldn't mind seeing it adapted to film. That said...

Spoiler:
It still kind of bums me out that we haven't been able to get a long, multiple movie arc that shows the evolution of the different Robins - Dick turning in to Nightwing, Jason's death, Tim Drake, and Jason's return. Seems like they would just be jumping in to things.
Old 10-30-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds cool but I really don't like the fact that this universe is already in progress and they're just throwing us into things.

Spoiler:
To the casual viewer Jason Todd means nothing because they likely don't know who he even is. Part of what makes the Red Hood character effective is finding out that he previously was Batman's ally.
Old 10-30-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That sounds pretty good to me, that story has worked out well recently so I wouldn't mind seeing it adapted to film. That said...

Spoiler:
It still kind of bums me out that we haven't been able to get a long, multiple movie arc that shows the evolution of the different Robins - Dick turning in to Nightwing, Jason's death, Tim Drake, and Jason's return. Seems like they would just be jumping in to things.
Well...

Spoiler:
if they are adapting Death in the Family, in whatever respect, it could come in a pre-credit sequence taking place before the events of Batman vs. Superman before jumping to the "present day" and the storyline involving Joker and The Red Hood as Batman's adversaries.

Also makes things interesting for BvS with that note "You Let Your Family Die". That could have come from Todd as a taunt to Bruce.
Old 10-30-15, 02:17 PM
Banned

While the death of a character like that can be easily manipulated to a positive emotional response cuz Batman is so loved. The resurrection of something like that can't be done as well. For the shock or wow factor, it has to be earned for something like that. Reminds me of how some audience members were genuinely surprised by the reveal in another comic book flick. I wasn't surprised cuz.. I already knew as a fan but the casual movie goer was surprised pretty well in my times watching that one.

EDIT: But if Affleck is directing... I'll roll w/ it. Terrio is writing this one too, no? I can't remember.
Old 10-30-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
While the death of a character like that can be easily manipulated to a positive emotional response cuz Batman is so loved. The resurrection of something like that can't be done as well. For the shock or wow factor, it has to be earned for something like that. Reminds me of how some audience members were genuinely surprised by the reveal in another comic book flick. I wasn't surprised cuz.. I already knew as a fan but the casual movie goer was surprised pretty well in my times watching that one.

EDIT: But if Affleck is directing... I'll roll w/ it. Terrio is writing this one too, no? I can't remember.
I don't believe Terrio is. He wrote Justice League. I think Affleck and Geoff Johns are working on The Batman.
Old 10-30-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

All sounds good to me. Batman has had the spotlight long enough. Good to see them bringing in some of the secondary heroes.

I also have no issues with them "jumping into the middle" of a story in regards to the history of Robin.
Old 10-30-15, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Spoiler:
Yeah, it's like they're making "The Winter Soldier" before "The First Avenger."

Too much backstory that isn't going to mean anything to the general audiences who don't read the comics.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.