Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2021, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Old 03-30-16, 04:38 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,387
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

I'll wait for folks to say that Affleck is also a shitty writer and director. Anyone want to start it off?

Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 03-30-16, 04:39 PM
  #127  
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,359
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I don't get the Chloe Moritz line. You mean, cute?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11807956-post544.html

HN is offline  
Old 03-30-16, 04:42 PM
  #128  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,387
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

I totally forgot about that!
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 03-30-16, 05:11 PM
  #129  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,475
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by HN View Post
Looking back around the time of the original announcement of Affleck being batfleck, this board was actually pretty tame with the reactions.

-starts around post 514
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...l#post11807867

-some were for (optimistic, even)
-some were against (but not like frothing at the mouth)

-GoldenJCJ joked "Oh shit, the Internet is about to explode!" (which was kinda true; twitterbook was flowing with the hate)

-and Why So Blu turned into chloe moritz for a second
One of the few things I didn't hate from the beginning.

My original post from page twenty two:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Surprised to see that Affleck was announced as our new Bruce Wayne/Batman. I'm okay with it, he's grown a lot as an actor and filmmaker so I think he'll do fine in the role. I really didn't expect him at all though.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 03-30-16, 11:13 PM
  #130  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,265
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'll wait for folks to say that Affleck is also a shitty writer and director. Anyone want to start it off?

Would be an exceedingly difficult argument to make. If can combine his tone and sensibility into a Batman movie it could be all types of fantastic.
johnnysd is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 01:08 AM
  #131  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,899
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I just hope it's a focused, solo Batman film and doesn't have anything to do with other superheroes.
I think there is no chance of that happening. It wouldn't surprise me if we get multiple super-villains and a few sidekicks to show up at a very minimum. Not to mention a cameo or two by another superhero from the Justice League.

I want a character from outside the traditional Batman mythos show up like Deadman.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 04:10 AM
  #132  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 3,594
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I totally forgot about that!
Hey, I made a thread about you in Forum Feedback.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...ng-fish24.html
Tom Banjo is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 07:12 AM
  #133  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,514
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

I could see this shooting next yr for a summer 2018, or March 2019 release. It has to be on WB's schedule.... there's no way they don't swap out the Flash, Cyborg, etc for this one.
Artman is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 09:41 AM
  #134  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,853
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

My favorite solo superhero movie that had little to do with the other films happening at the same time was The Wolverine. Yes, the samurai fight at the end is really stupid, but the rest of the movie is solid.

Doing a film about Batman that is more police procedural would be great. The whole Robin storyline in DKR was wonderful, and I think with Affleck's direction, this could be one of the best Batman films.
The Bus is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 09:51 AM
  #135  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,686
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

will all of the spinoff movies have that same shitty look to them like a Snyder movie?
TGM is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 09:53 AM
  #136  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,387
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Maybe Affleck will take Chris Terrio along for The Batman?
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 09:54 AM
  #137  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
will all of the spinoff movies have that same shitty look to them like a Snyder movie?
SS doesn't.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 12:03 PM
  #138  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18,742
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
My favorite solo superhero movie that had little to do with the other films happening at the same time was The Wolverine. Yes, the samurai fight at the end is really stupid, but the rest of the movie is solid.
Do you mean the fight with the body armor/robot thing? Because the fight scene between Wolverine and Hiroyuki Sanada was probably the best part of the movie.
DaveyJoe is online now  
Old 03-31-16, 12:29 PM
  #139  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,985
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Most people reference the suit of armor fight as being the low of that movie so I assume that's it.

That movie deserved a better final act.

He better find a way to work Bat Damon into the movie.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 12:33 PM
  #140  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,475
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
SS doesn't.
Eh the tone is different but you can still tell its in line with the current DC films in my opinion.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 03:21 PM
  #141  
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,359
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post

He better find a way to work Bat Damon into the movie.
or Matt Damian
HN is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 04:17 PM
  #142  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,665
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'll wait for folks to say that Affleck is also a shitty writer and director. Anyone want to start it off?

I can't say that he's a shitty director, as in specifically directing the actors and focusing the project, I suppose he's very good at that, but he's yet to make a good film.

The Town is probably his best film. But it's so derivative of Heat.

I found Gone Baby Gone to be utterly forgettable and lastly Argo, while being based on a first-rate awesome story, was over embellished with bullshit melodrama and fabricated suspense that wasn't necessary. The true story is cool all by itself, it didn't need all the fabrication. And I still have never found an answer for why there are LAPD style Chevy black & white squad cars chasing the plane down the runway at the end. It's supposed to be Iran and they're driving American police cars. Only a shitty director could make such a choice.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 04:20 PM
  #143  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,387
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I can't say that he's a shitty director, as in specifically directing the actors and focusing the project, I suppose he's very good at that, but he's yet to make a good film.

The Town is probably his best film. But it's so derivative of Heat.

I found Gone Baby Gone to be utterly forgettable and lastly Argo, while being based on a first-rate awesome story, was over embellished with bullshit melodrama and fabricated suspense that wasn't necessary. The true story is cool all by itself, it didn't need all the fabrication. And I still have never found an answer for why there are LAPD style Chevy black & white squad cars chasing the plane down the runway at the end. It's supposed to be Iran and they're driving American police cars. Only a shitty director could make such a choice.

So he is or isn't?
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 04:35 PM
  #144  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,475
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

I understand what he's saying. The films he's made are well done but aren't exactly anything groundbreaking or truly standout or memorable. He's delivered a couple decent crime dramas which could work for a Batman film though.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 05:48 PM
  #145  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,665
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
So he is or isn't?
I guess he is.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 06:54 PM
  #146  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Demarest, New Jersey
Posts: 20
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

...this guy's gonna be Batman?
SumirekoUsami is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 06:56 PM
  #147  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

I'd argue that someone's individual taste might not enjoy Affleck's movies, but given that he's received critical acclaim across the board for all 3 of the movies he's done (94%, 94%, and 96% on RT) including numerous awards, he's in not anywhere close to being a shitty director. That would be ridiculous.

I know it's subjective and all, but when you're the clear minority with an opinion this is one of those cases where i'd say he's made 3 good to excellent films that just weren't for you.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 07:44 PM
  #148  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 46,905
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The Town is probably his best film.
IMO The Town is his worst film and Gone Baby Gone is his best.

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'd argue that someone's individual taste might not enjoy Affleck's movies, but given that he's received critical acclaim across the board for all 3 of the movies he's done (94%, 94%, and 96% on RT) including numerous awards, he's in not anywhere close to being a shitty director. That would be ridiculous.

I know it's subjective and all, but when you're the clear minority with an opinion this is one of those cases where i'd say he's made 3 good to excellent films that just weren't for you.
The Town 94%, really?

Last edited by inri222; 03-31-16 at 09:19 PM.
inri222 is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 07:47 PM
  #149  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 817
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

What are the chances of a direct version of The Dark Knight Returns being made. Sure there's the awesome animation. But would love a live version. Affleck would be perfect for it. He plays an older batman anyway. A few years go by in the timeline. Would that story fit in the new batman universe? I think so. Maybe not the next one, but somewhere down the line.
Rainet is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 10:52 PM
  #150  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,665
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Isn't the new movie basically The Dark Knight Returns?
Mabuse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.