Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts
re: The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

I don't like the Nolan films but they were not successful because of Bale. People liked the writing and stories (god knows why) of the three films. Bale working with what Affleck has been given wouldn't have made a difference. And I don't see Nolan coming back for any amount of money.
Old 11-17-17, 12:30 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I don't like the Nolan films but they were not successful because of Bale. People liked the writing and stories (god knows why) of the three films. Bale working with what Affleck has been given wouldn't have made a difference.
But Snyder is out. Reeves has proven to be an effective director in big budget tentpoles.

I don't really want Bale back. The Nolan films stand on their own as a separate trilogy. I'd rather Gyllenhaal over Bale for the new series.
Old 11-17-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I agree. Nolan/Bale's trilogy is its own thing, this Universe doesn't need that.

Hell, give it to Tom Hardy. ()
Old 11-17-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I know money talks but I don’t feel like he’ll return. The only foreseeable way is if Nolan was brought on board in some capacity and gave his stamp of approval. Even then I feel like it would be a long shot. I feel like Bale has had his time with the role and wants to do more personal projects and the same goes for Nolan. I wouldn’t oppose it if it happened and was done well but I don’t know. This feels like some WB fantasy desperation move or bullshit to me.
Old 11-17-17, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I know money talks but I don’t feel like he’ll return. The only foreseeable way is if Nolan was brought on board in some capacity and gave his stamp of approval. Even then I feel like it would be a long shot. I feel like Bale has had his time with the role and wants to do more personal projects and the same goes for Nolan. I wouldn’t oppose it if it happened and was done well but I don’t know. This feels like some WB fantasy desperation move or bullshit to me.
No way is Nolan coming back.
Old 11-17-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
So the DVDTalk new favorite website had a blind item today that makes it seem like WB is after Christian Bale to come back as Batman.
Old 11-17-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Stooop A Nolan-Verse DC film won't work in this age of Comic Films. Why would anyone even entertain that? Ya'll bitched and moaned about DC's darkness, lack of fun, lack of shawarma jokes, and lack of bright colors. There was none of that in the Nolan-Trilogy. You want Hero Comedies. I doubt Nolan would lighten any of that shit up to make ya'll happy now.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-17-17 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Stooop A Nolan-Verse DC film won't work in this age of Comic Films. Why would anyone one even entertain that? Ya'll bitched and moaned about DC's darkness, lack of fun, lack of shawarma jokes, and lack Birgit colors. There was none of that in the Nolan-Trilogy. I doubt Nolan would lighten any of that shit up to make ya'll happy now.
Nolan's were plot heavy and interesting, something else that has disappeared with the some of the recent "pure spectacle" DC movies. Dark is fine, just do it right.

Then again, growing up I never felt Batman and Superman meshed well together, tonally or otherwise. So it's definitely a fine line to walk for the current iteration.
Old 11-17-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No way is Nolan coming back.
Not saying he is just that it’s the only way I could maybe see Bale returning. I’ll be shocked if he does return.

Also while the Nolan films were dark in tone they were different in that they weren’t shot entirely shrouded in darkness and weird filters. Also there actually were moments of levity from characters like Alfred, Lucius, and Gordon. Even Bale’s Wayne had some lighthearted moments.
Old 11-17-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Stooop A Nolan-Verse DC film won't work in this age of Comic Films. Why would anyone one even entertain that? Ya'll bitched and moaned about DC's darkness, lack of fun, lack of shawarma jokes, and lack of bright colors. There was none of that in the Nolan-Trilogy. You wan't Hero Comedies. I doubt Nolan would lighten any of that shit up to make ya'll happy now.
Old 11-17-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again I don’t see how you can compare the tone of the Nolan Batman films where yes the tone was dark but fit the story and had some moments of levity versus the DCEU (at least the first three films) where everything is dark just for the sake of being so. Completely different takes on attempting to go a more serious route with superhero films.
Old 11-17-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Don't think Bale can fit in DCU. If he were to come back, it would suck if he were to bitch-out after the first two films.
Old 11-17-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Don't think Bale can fit in DCU. If he were to come back, it would suck if he were to bitch-out after the first two films.
Yeah and the problem is people would expect him to be carrying on the role how he played it. He’d be capable of playing it to fit the DCEU but people would want what they’re used to more than likely,
Old 11-17-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Fuck it, bring Bale back! I loved his Batman. I wanted him in BVS.
Old 11-17-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think bringing together Matt Reeves and Jake Gyllenhaal for yet another Batman reboot would be the smart choice. Gyllenhaal looked and acted a bit too young the previous times he's been considered for the role. Now, even with just a few extra years on him after BvS, he has the appearance of being more weathered and mature. Southpaw (and Prince of Persia) showed that he can beef up for a role, and he's obviously a dramatic chameleon, but I can see what his Bruce Wayne might look like in his performances in Enemy.

Old 11-17-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I be happy with Gyllenhaal and Reeves
Old 11-17-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Gyllenhaal would bother me for the simple fact that his sister played his love interest in a previous incarnation of the character.
Old 11-17-17, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
Gyllenhaal would bother me for the simple fact that his sister played his love interest in a previous incarnation of the character.
That's a pretty silly thing to be bothered about considering how many actors actually played different characters in other comic franchises.
Old 11-17-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I thought of Maggie in The Dark Knight too but that wouldn’t even cross my mind as a reason to not like that potential casting.
Old 11-17-17, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Stooop A Nolan-Verse DC film won't work in this age of Comic Films. Why would anyone even entertain that? Ya'll bitched and moaned about DC's darkness, lack of fun, lack of shawarma jokes, and lack of bright colors. There was none of that in the Nolan-Trilogy. You want Hero Comedies. I doubt Nolan would lighten any of that shit up to make ya'll happy now.
I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer DCCU's "darker" approach to the MCU's light-hearted approach. It's also kind of weird to complain about the lack of bright colors in DC when Marvel's movies all look like faded prints or the brightness on my tv is cranked. At least the DC movies look like they have competent post production.

Where DC fails for me is in their lack of vision and planning. It just feels like, at any minute, they're either going to scrap the whole thing or reboot.
Old 11-17-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Being darker and more serious in tone isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The problem at least with Batman V Superman is that it was just depressing. The whole film was dreary and dark and a lot of rain. Everyone on it seemed pissed off (other than the Looney Tunes version of Lex Luthor) and there was nothing about it that was really enjoyable. It felt like two and a half hours of murkiness. You can take a more serious/mature/dark or whatever you want to call it approach but balance it out a bit. Hell Logan is one of the darkest comic book films ever made and it manages to have moments of levity and even a nice color palette. It seems like WB learned their lesson a bit based on what I’ve heard about Justice League so at least there’s that.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-17-17 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

So the DVDTalk new favorite website had a blind item today that makes it seem like WB is after Christian Bale to come back as Batman.
I’m sorry guys, I’m pretty sure this blind article is referring to George Clooney. Bring back the Bat-Credit card!
Old 11-18-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I’m not feeling Gyllenhall, but then I haven’t seen some of his more recent dramatic work. I actually envision him more as a villain, maybe even Joker.

I’m willing to give him a shot if it means jettisoning Affleck.
Old 11-18-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Gyllenhaal would be fine but he wouldn’t be my first choice. Honestly I’m not sure who I’d go with. In some ways I feel like the smarter move would be to go with a smaller name rather than replacing your big name star with another fairly big name star.

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I don't like the Nolan films but they were not successful because of Bale. People liked the writing and stories (god knows why) of the three films. Bale working with what Affleck has been given wouldn't have made a difference. And I don't see Nolan coming back for any amount of money.
I sometimes feel like Bale gets overshadowed by the villains in his films (namely Ledger). I think he’s by far been the best at playing the dual roles of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Keaton is a close second. Affleck is good as Batman but I don’t think his Wayne is as strong.
Old 11-18-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I sometimes feel like Bale gets overshadowed by the villains in his films (namely Ledger). I think he’s by far been the best at playing the dual roles of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Keaton is a close second. Affleck is good as Batman but I don’t think his Wayne is as strong.
In fairness to Affleck, he hasn’t really had much of a chance to show his Bruce Wayne side. I think he’s been great so far from what we’ve seen (I haven’t seen JL yet). Much like Cavill who has never really had a chance to show his Clark Kent side.

As far as Gylenhaal being cast is concerned I think he’ll be fine. My only issue would be that he seems a tad short to be playing Batman. Google says he’s 5’11 to Affleck’s 6’4!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.