Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Since Marvel keeps replacing their asian characters, maybe DC should throw one in?
Old 09-13-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I just want to see Robin in a movie. It's been almost 20 years.
Old 09-13-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by stingermck
I just want to see Robin in a movie. It's been almost 20 years.
I agree. I'm sure i've said it before, but I really wish we could see an entire Dick -> Robin -> Nightwing + Jason Todd + Tim Drake type of arc unfold over the movies, or even some sort of condensed version with some of them.

Since it seems like we've already skipped through past Jason Todd's Robin, but if DC was still in that "dark" direction that's one thing that would have been awesome to see portrayed on film.
Old 09-13-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. I'm sure i've said it before, but I really wish we could see an entire Dick -> Robin -> Nightwing + Jason Todd + Tim Drake type of arc unfold over the movies, or even some sort of condensed version with some of them.
I think it would be hard to pull off in this day and age. You pretty much have to have Robin be a teenager and you can't use Dick's traditional outfit anymore. So the concept of that evolving would be pretty hard to do.
Old 09-13-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Just cast Ryan Potter as Terry McGinnis....
Old 09-13-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I think it would be hard to pull off in this day and age. You pretty much have to have Robin be a teenager and you can't use Dick's traditional outfit anymore. So the concept of that evolving would be pretty hard to do.
How so? The circus may be all but gone these days but there are dudes in tights on America's Got Talent doing acrobatic stuff every year. They would just have to evolve the costume off stage.

In a similar vein half of the acts that went through this year were teenagers.

With a little creative writing I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 09-13-16, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think he's pointing at the circus bit. Dick's original costume hasn't aged well though. Going through the whole Robins would be madness. You'd need damn near a film every year to even get the audience to give a fuck for that many versions.
Old 09-13-16, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by robin2099
I don't think it would be that crazy, at least if you start Robin off as a 15-16 year old kid. In another recent thread someone even mentioned how Kick Ass made Hit Girl reasonably interesting as a kid beating up adults, even if that movie is significantly different in tone.

As for the costume, not even the least of my concerns given that even Batman in the movies has generally had considerable differences versus the comic, being all armored up and all.

I don't think it would be that hard to portray a Dick Grayson arc, but maybe that's just me.
Old 09-14-16, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't think he's pointing at the circus bit. Dick's original costume hasn't aged well though. Going through the whole Robins would be madness. You'd need damn near a film every year to even get the audience to give a fuck for that many versions.
Yeah... We're going to be lucky if we get three solo Batfleck movies out of the DCEU. He's far enough along in his career as the Dark Knight already have one dead Robin (Jason Todd?), and I really don't know how they would pull off Dick Gradyson-Jason Todd-Tim Drake thing from the comics without having every Batman movie be about his Robins.

Most we'll realistically get is maybe a flashback to the Joker killing Jason, and Dick showing up as Nightwing in a Titans movie. Maybe Bruce will get a third Robin in a future movie, but I tend to doubt it. Movie Batman seems to work best without a Boy Wonder.
Old 09-14-16, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Easy to pull off. Flashback of Dick as Robin and their father son fallout, Flashback of Jason getting killed, all wrapped around the story of Bruce taking on Tim as a partner. The comics of the time when Tim was introduced, matches the current movies well. Batman was increasing violent nearly killing people and Tim was able to bring Bruce out of the extreme darkness.
Old 09-14-16, 07:58 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Easy to pull off. Flashback of Dick as Robin and their father son fallout, Flashback of Jason getting killed, all wrapped around the story of Bruce taking on Tim as a partner. The comics of the time when Tim was introduced, matches the current movies well. Batman was increasing violent nearly killing people and Tim was able to bring Bruce out of the extreme darkness.
Pretty much this. But I think it would better if it was just Dick as Nightwing being the voice of reason and just some exposition and allusion to their relationship.
Old 09-14-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like I said, a condensed version
Old 09-14-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I want to see Robin in a film too. It'd probably make sense for it to be Tim and then have Dick as Nightwing possibly. As far as the costume goes I think the obvious choice would be to go with something like the costume he's had since the eighties or so (long pants, boots, tunic, gloves/gauntlets, and cape plus domino mask). It appears that the suit in the case in the Batcave in Batman V Superman was something similar to that anyways and even Batman Forever used a similar suit so I'd imagine if they used Robin he'd probably have a look close to that.
Old 09-14-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I want to see Robin in a film too. It'd probably make sense for it to be Tim and then have Dick as Nightwing possibly. As far as the costume goes I think the obvious choice would be to go with something like the costume he's had since the eighties or so (long pants, boots, tunic, gloves/gauntlets, and cape plus domino mask).
I agree. Just go with the original design that Neal Adams' used for Tim Drake and just say it was Dick's first costume.

Old 09-14-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Requesting Title Change to: "Dick Talk"
Old 09-14-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

recent costume pic

Spoiler:

"Tactical Batsuit"

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-14-16 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Uh.. aren't most if not all the batsuits 'tactical'?
Old 09-14-16, 05:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

shoulda kept the light grey, and went with the yellow bat logo.
Old 09-14-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still hope for the classic blue and gray suit with the yellow oval Bat logo someday.
Old 09-14-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
I agree. Just go with the original design that Neal Adams' used for Tim Drake and just say it was Dick's first costume.

Yep this is the costume I'd pick if Robin was going to be in a film. Seems like it would easily adapt to live action and it keeps enough of the classic look while looking a bit more modernized.
Old 09-15-16, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I still hope for the classic blue and gray suit with the yellow oval Bat logo someday.
That's the one I have always wanted to see. Easily the best design.
Old 09-15-16, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep this is the costume I'd pick if Robin was going to be in a film. Seems like it would easily adapt to live action and it keeps enough of the classic look while looking a bit more modernized.
Yup.

Old 09-15-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Truthfully aside from the nipples I like the Robin suit from Batman Forever.
Old 09-15-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I did too.
Old 09-15-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't like how he was basically given the Nightwing costume in Batman & Robin though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.