Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

I think Mr. Freeze deserves a redemption on the big screen even more than the Riddler. If they take his tragic story from BTAS, he could make a compelling/sympathetic movie villain.
Old 08-30-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

And, let's be honest, his name being Edward Nigma is corny as shit. Though I agree the appearances in Arkham Asylum were cool.
Old 08-30-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

That is his name in the comics though. It is what it is.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I think Mr. Freeze deserves a redemption on the big screen even more than the Riddler. If they take his tragic story from BTAS, he could make a compelling/sympathetic movie villain.
Freeze done well would be awesome. I've always wanted to see someone more out there like Clayface or Man-Bat.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-30-16 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know. Not much you can do there, but still.
Old 08-30-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Nygma!
Old 08-30-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
My Nygma!

What you did there, I see it.

Old 08-30-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Deathstroke?

Personally, it's been almost 5 weeks. We need another Joker reboot.
Old 08-30-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
My only real issue with Deathstroke is that we might only get a limited number of solo Batman films and there are other villains I'd much rather see. Especially given that he's more of a B list villain and not even a primary member of Batman's Rogues Gallery.
Yeah, that's one of the big ones when it comes to planning these cinematic universes, either Marvel or DC.

We'll probably get a maximum of three solo movies for any given character, so they can't really waste any of them.

Maybe Deathstroke won't be the primary antagonist. But you never know what the fuck Warners is thinking. They might be putting Deathstroke in the movie hoping audiences with think it's Deadpool.
Old 08-30-16, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

y'all acting like WB is only going to make a 2-3 more Batman movies between now and the end of time.
Old 08-30-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

And if they go with a villain that has already been used in a previous movie the haters will complain that they keep going to the well instead of using some of the lesser known villains. WB will never be able to win with some people.
Old 08-30-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
y'all acting like WB is only going to make a 2-3 more Batman movies between now and the end of time.
Hardly, nothing wrong with people wanting to see a villain now rather then later given we're heading on 30 years since Burton's Batman and have only gotten 7 major theatrical films during that time with some characters that have yet to be done "right".

Originally Posted by Maxflier
And if they go with a villain that has already been used in a previous movie the haters will complain that they keep going to the well instead of using some of the lesser known villains. WB will never be able to win with some people.
Eh, people have the same type of complaints with Spider-Man movies and the villains they want to see. It's not a WB thing.
Old 08-30-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Hardly, nothing wrong with people wanting to see a villain now rather then later given we're heading on 30 years since Burton's Batman and have only gotten 7 major theatrical films during that time with some characters that have yet to be done "right".

Eh, people have the same type of complaints with Spider-Man movies and the villains they want to see. It's not a WB thing.
They're building cinematic universes here.

We're going to get, maybe, three solo Batman movies with Affleck if we're lucky. Big fuck if they've already used The Joker or Catwoman or The Riddler in the movies ten or twenty years ago.

These aren't just Batman movies, they're entries in a superhero universe. I think most people in the audience would rather see Batman go up against his A-list foes than a b-lister that he barely has a history with.

The DCEU already feels screwy enough, and it just seems like they're still making all of these odd, capricious choices.
Old 08-30-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously there will be more over the course of time, but this is the first time DC is doing Batman films in a shared universe and realistically there will probably be three maybe four solo Batman films tops. It's a bit of a waste to use a villain like Deathstroke who's not really a big Batman villain as one of the main antagonists when there are many more iconic villains that I'd like to see done.
Old 08-30-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
These aren't just Batman movies, they're entries in a superhero universe. I think most people in the audience would rather see Batman go up against his A-list foes than a b-lister that he barely has a history with.
The audience didn't have any issues rolling with Ra's Al Ghul, Talia Al Ghul, Scarecrow or Bane in the Nolan films. I wouldn't consider them A-listers in the public's eye.

People show up for Batman. As long as the villain(A, B or C-lister) is written well enough, the audience will be along for the ride.
Old 08-30-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say Ra's, Scarecrow, and Bane are much more A list Batman villains than Deathstroke is. Maybe not in the eye of the general public but they're some of his biggest villains.
Old 08-30-16, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm hoping someday they use Hugo Strange. They should go back and read the Englehart/Rogers version from the 70's. Some of the best Batman stories ever.
Old 08-30-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hugo Strange would be cool but I don't think he'd ever be done as the primary villain. He's someone that would probably work better as a guy with a plan pulling the strings while another villain is the muscle.
Old 08-30-16, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange would be great.

Question: I have read some arcs w/ Strange. And in some imagery they show him to be pretty built in musculature. Has he physically taken on Bats? Or is that just the way they drew him?
Old 08-30-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe Deathstroke won't be the primary antagonist. But you never know what the fuck Warners is thinking. They might be putting Deathstroke in the movie hoping audiences with think it's Deadpool.
Honestly I was thinking the exact same thing but thought I'd catch shit and be called a DC hater. While the two characters aren't exactly the same there are some similarities between Deadpool and Deathstroke that make it seem a bit coincidental that they'd go with him as the villain. I've got enough faith in Affleck to deliver a good film but the first solo Batman film in this universe and that being the villain they go with is a bit of a head scratcher. Unless he's one of more villains which I hope turns out to be the case I just can't see why he was the first choice.
Old 08-30-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Strange would be great.

Question: I have read some arcs w/ Strange. And in some imagery they show him to be pretty built in musculature. Has he physically taken on Bats? Or is that just the way they drew him?
I don't recall them ever actually fighting. He's made monsters that he unleashes to take down Batman but he uses psychology to fuck with Bats more than anything.
Old 08-30-16, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Obviously there will be more over the course of time, but this is the first time DC is doing Batman films in a shared universe and realistically there will probably be three maybe four solo Batman films tops. It's a bit of a waste to use a villain like Deathstroke who's not really a big Batman villain as one of the main antagonists when there are many more iconic villains that I'd like to see done.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have a minor villain in a solo film, so they can save bigger threats for a team-up movie?
Old 08-30-16, 11:36 PM
Banned

Reword that cuz... Bat's rogues aren't minor. Compared to Darkseid? Sure. But they're not minor.
Old 08-30-16, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's saying someone like Deathstroke is a minor villian, and that Bat's bigger villains are worthy of a team up movie. So...you're mostly in agreement as to the scope of the characters.
Old 08-30-16, 11:42 PM
Banned

I get that part but a minor villain for a Bats flick? Why would it make sense to have a minor villain as a lead villain for bats.

Deathstroke isn't a minor villain. He's a Grade A villain who, as his character works in that world, works at a price. Essentially a grade A villain doing grade B work.
Old 08-30-16, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like I've said it's not so much that I have a problem with Deathstroke as a character but I still don't think he's the greatest choice for the main villain of a Batman film. There are so many more I'd rather see before him and the fact that he's not exactly a primary Batman villain just makes it a bit of an odd choice. Plus I know he's gained more popularity but I don't really view him as an A list villain.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.