Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, D: Miller/Lord and Ron Howard)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, D: Miller/Lord and Ron Howard)

Old 07-08-15, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Untitled Star Wars Han Solo spin off (5/25/18, D: Miller & Lord) S: LaBeouf

Originally Posted by The Cow
Christianity is still around and some people consider that an ancient hokey religion.
No really a fair comparison. People in the Imperial days would still have seen firsthand a Jedi in action. They would know that Jedi aren't hokey and really do live up to the legend. Nobody alive today has witnessed firsthand the miracles portrayed in the Bible that supposedly happened 2000 years ago.
Old 07-08-15, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
No really a fair comparison. People in the Imperial days would still have seen firsthand a Jedi in action. They would know that Jedi aren't hokey and really do live up to the legend. Nobody alive today has witnessed firsthand the miracles portrayed in the Bible that supposedly happened 2000 years ago.
I wouldn't go that far.

The major ones? Sure. More simple ones? Man, we love our miracles.
Old 07-08-15, 06:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
The problem is that Han sees it as being hokey. He believes a blaster is better than a lightsaber. Yet he would have been a child when the Jedi were still in existence, so he should have known that it wasn't hokey. He should have known that Jedi can deflect blaster fire.
Yet he also knows that he is alive and well with his blaster, and the Jedi are all dead with their lightsabers. The real question is why is Han not the slightest bit intrigued or confused by the fact that he discovered the first live Jedi Knight in decades, other than the fact that he's just a self-absorbed smuggler with his own problems to worry about.
Old 07-08-15, 07:48 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Let's not start a vortex please.
Old 07-08-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts

I always got the impression that Jedi were very secretive, so it's very likely "regular people" had no clue just how powerful they were. By the time they were all wiped out people probably just assumed the myths were embellished.
Old 07-08-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
There's a few lines in the OT that imply what a SOLO movie might be about:

From A NEW HOPE: "I've been from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange things..."

From THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK "That was a long time ago, I'm sure he's forgotten about that", followed by Lando's "You've got a lot of nerve coming here, after what you pulled..."
If the new Star Wars comic books from Marvel are, indeed, canon, then there's a pretty big bomb that was dropped about Han Solo's past in the latest one...
Old 07-08-15, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If the new Star Wars comic books from Marvel are, indeed, canon, then there's a pretty big bomb that was dropped about Han Solo's past in the latest one...
Yeah, I mentioned that a month ago in the Force Awakens thread.

Major retcon in the new Disney canon SPOILERS
Old 07-08-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_b
Take a look at these casting suggestions by The Hollywood Reporter... and then consider jumping off a bridge.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...uld+Be+Cast%3F
I know no one will agree with me, but this is who I'd cast, even though he's 38-

Old 07-08-15, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's not really a big bomb. Falls in line with how the character was. One more notch into that scoundrel belt if necessary.
Old 12-02-15, 10:02 AM

re: Star Wars Anthology: Untitled Han Solo Film (2018, D: Miller & Lord)

Weird way to go about it. Some of these names auditioning are just so, so wrong... This has to be an unknown or fairly unknown. Hopefully that is what they land on.

It's a hunt that would make Jabba the Hutt proud.

Disney and Lucasfilm are scouring the galaxy in what some are calling the widest casting search ever for the actor who will play a young Han Solo in the planned Star Wars spinoff movie.

According to sources, more than 2,500 actors have met on the project or put themselves on tape, with casting director Jeanne McCarthy running point on finding the man to fill the vest made famous by Harrison Ford in the first Star Wars trilogy and The Force Awakens, which opens Dec. 18.

The contenders are being whittled down before Star Wars spinoff directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who worked with McCarthy on the hit Jump Street films, hone in on their Han. The movie isn't due to shoot until January 2017 for a May 25, 2018, release, so they have plenty of time to make a choice.

"This has been the easiest movie to audition for," says an agent with a client who has auditioned. "They are seeing everyone."

The strategy is a 180 degree turn from the plan producers took to find the young stars of The Force Awakens, the upcoming movie that relaunches the Star Wars franchise under the direction of Disney and Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy. Director J.J. Abrams took great pains to find relative unknowns to play the leads. Daisy Ridley, the movie's female star, had only a handful of television appearances to her credit when she was chosen. Co-star John Boyega only boasted a bit more experience, having appeared in British sci-fi comedy Attack the Block and other small projects.

The top-secret Solo project, with a script by Lawrence and Jon Kasdan, is slyly working under the code name "Red Cup," a reference to the college party staple manufactured by, yep, the Solo Cup Corp. But with every agency sending clients between the ages of 18 and 32 in to read for the part, names are beginning to surface.

Actors who have read in person or auditioned via videotape range from the well-known (Dave Franco, 30, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 25, and Miles Teller, 28) to the sort-of-known (Jurassic World's Nick Robinson, 20) to relative unknowns (Kickin' It's Leo Howard, 18, and The Purge's Tony Oller, 24) and also vary significantly in age. Though sources say the "sweet spot" seems to be the mid-20s, the ages of the contenders span from Chandler Riggs, the 16-year-old star of The Walking Dead, to Hunter Parrish, 28, and Mr. Robot star Rami Malek, 34.

Casting directors are not just focusing on American actors, either, considering Canadian Hemlock Grove star Landon Liboiron, 23, and English actors Ed Westwick, 28, Tom Felton, 28, and Joshua Sasse, 27, among many, many others.

The casting team is said to be looking for someone who looks at least a bit like a young Ford (now 73, he was 35 when the original Star Wars was released) and can be funny and charming as well as handle the expected action scenes. A few young comedians have been asked to read.

Others who have thrown their hats in the ring include Fury's Logan Lerman, 23, The Fault in Our Stars' Ansel Elgort, 21, and Transformers: Age of Extinction's Jack Reynor, 23, plus TV faces like Teen Wolf's Colton Haynes, 27, and Bates Motel's Max Thieriot, 27.

With a search this galactic, reps would be wise to quote Solo's advice to Luke Skywalker: "Don't get cocky."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20151202
Old 12-02-15, 10:35 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes.

Kd Lang
Coral
Malfoy
Freak from Mr. Robot

Is this really news from a SNL skit?
Old 12-02-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 271 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm too lazy to scroll through the rest of the thread as I'm sure he's been mentioned, but I'm not kidding when I say they should consider that guy on YouTube who does a PERFECT Han Solo impression (and Indiana Jones for that matter). Guy even looks like a younger Harrison Ford.
Old 12-02-15, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I'm too lazy to scroll through the rest of the thread as I'm sure he's been mentioned, but I'm not kidding when I say they should consider that guy on YouTube who does a PERFECT Han Solo impression (and Indiana Jones for that matter). Guy even looks like a younger Harrison Ford.
It's been mentioned. And the guy did play a younger version of Ford's character in The Age of Adaline, 7 years after posting that video. The problem is he seems to be doing too much of an impression, and not acting. I don't want to see someone doing a Han Solo/Harrison Ford impression for 2 hours. Though his role in Adaline was rather small and really didn't show much of any abilities.
Old 12-02-15, 10:55 AM
Banned

Yeah. But is he a good actor?

Granted if they're auditioning everyone... that may not matter if he was or wasn't before... but still. He was cast in Age of Adaline but he wasn't memorable for his skills either. He was just there as flashback guy. He just looks like and can imitate Ford. That's one thing. Acting like a lived in character within a new narrative is another
Old 12-02-15, 11:05 AM

I just looked at his YouTube page. Some of his impressions are really good. I had never seen this one before:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rG9SAq2kLFY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-02-15, 11:06 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry, that kid only resembles Harrison Ford, and his impression is laughable, like he's constipated. Maybe there's a better video out there. His Connery is better.
Old 12-02-15, 11:14 AM

Go to page 1 of the thread.
Old 12-02-15, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
Go to page 1 of the thread.
That was the first one I saw. Just terrible. If there was no video and simply his voice, no one would buy that impression or care.
Old 12-02-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 271 Likes on 174 Posts

That's definitely the minority's opinion.
Old 12-02-15, 12:13 PM

He can barely deliver his lines, let alone get the right inflections of Ford's voice. Kevin Spacey or Jimmy Fallon could probably do better impressions in their sleep.
Old 12-02-15, 12:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The problem with that guy (and the problem that the filmmakers are going to have to deal with no matter who they pick) is that guy looks like a young version of a middle aged Harrison Ford. He looks and sounds nothing like a Harrison Ford circa 1977.
Old 12-02-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
That's definitely the minority's opinion.
I agree that it's terrible too.
Old 12-02-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

They could just CGI younger Harrison from American Graffiti.

He'd be the strong silent type, only uttering a few lines...

"I ain't nobody, dork!"

"You tell him I'm lookin' for him, huh? Tell him I aim to blow his ass right off"

Last edited by GuessWho; 12-02-15 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-02-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 415 Posts

Oh god that impression was just awful. Definitely get an actor, not an impersonator.
Old 12-02-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

If we're going on looks, none of those guys are a slam dunk. I'm so sick of Miles Teller I can't even stand it... and Dave fuckin' Franco? Chandler Riggs? (Get back in the house, Carl!) This list reads like some terrible IMDb fan casting.

Max Thieriot is the only halfway decent pick and I can imagine him capturing the character well enough. Talent aside, the rest of these names are TERRIBLE choices for Han Solo. I really hope they go with an unknown.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.