Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Secret Life of Pets (July 2016, by the Despicable Me crew)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-24-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 763 Likes on 620 Posts

Universal seems to be on a roll, as there's no way a movie about pets by the DM people doesn't pull bank.

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Taking place in a Manhattan apartment building, Max's life as a favorite pet is turned upside down, when his owner brings home a sloppy mongrel named Duke. They have to put their quarrels behind when they find out that an adorable white bunny named Snowball is building an army of abandoned pets determined to take revenge on all happy-owned pets and their owners.

Voice cast includes: Louis C.K. Albert Brooks, Hannibal Buress, Ellie Kemper, Lake Bell, Eric Stonestreet, Bobby Moynihan, and Kevin Hart

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i-80SGWfEjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...though shouldn't the title be The Secret Lives of Pets?

Last edited by RichC2; 06-24-15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Secret Life of Pets (July 2016, by the Despicable Me crew)

It sounds a lot like Toy Story, particularly the third one from that synopsis - except, you know, with pets.

BTW, I didn't see Melissa McCarthy in the voice cast. Someone other than her is voicing the cat that eats the turkey?
Old 06-24-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw this a few days ago... loved the trailer, but i'm a sucker for cute animals.
Old 06-24-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

Looks cute. I wonder if there's a narrative of the animals getting out of their apartments and achieving a goal.
Old 06-24-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,431 Posts

With the exception of the dog rocking out to heavy metal, that trailer did nothing for me. Of course I also didn't care for Despicable Me at all so this is a rental at best, and even then only if it receives good reviews.
Old 06-16-16, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 214 Posts

I was fortunate enough to catch an advance screening of this last night with my kids. It was great. Kevin Hart, who normally annoys the shit out of me, was awesome; as was Louis CK. The movie was just fun -- no hidden (or blatant) message or theme (cough** Zootopia ** cough). While I didn't see it in 3D, it appeared that the 3D could have been excellent where nothing was forced in for 3D sake... just very natural.

Overall 4/5.
Old 06-16-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been looking forward to this one for awhile now, glad to hear you enjoyed it.
Old 07-08-16, 08:47 AM

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Opens today.

Currently 76% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the..._life_of_pets/
Old 07-08-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm looking forward to this, but still need to see Dory which i'll probably catch this weekend.
Old 07-08-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

"catch"! pretty funny when talking about a fish movie.

dory was good but man, there were a ton of previews before it, like half an hour. some of the movies in the previews looked terrible, like the new Ice Age.
Old 07-08-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

Saw it today and loved it. Best animated movie I've seen in years. Full of laughs and the 3D was actually really well done.
Old 07-10-16, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 886 Likes on 721 Posts

Loved this. Between this and Zootopia it's been a good year for animation. The voice cast was great all around. Definitely will be picking up the Blu-ray when it's out.
Old 07-11-16, 07:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

The movie had good gag writing. Tons of individual visual gags get a lot of laughs. Real Warner Brothers style slapstick and absurdity. But the movie's script completely fails when it comes to plot, character development, and dialogue.

The story is super basic with almost no complications or reversals. Everybody runs around and gets lost, but since we are certain they will be found by the end the whole thing is utterly boring.

The characters are given the thinnest motivations. One character decides she loves another dog so much that she will risk her life to save him because she saw something on a telenovella. The only thing lazier than that would be to give her no motivation, and that probably would have been more believable, because what we are given is just stupid.

The cast is made up mostly of stand up comedians yet no one says anything very funny. Louis CK is the hottest comic in the world yet his character doesn't deliver any actually funny material. He does funny things, but he doesn't say funny things. Not sure why they cast him or why he wanted to do it considering he barely lifts a comic finger.

Best part of the film was my 8 year old's reaction. She loved it. But I was bored by this predictable, lazy film.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-11-16 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,707 Posts

Caught a matinee today.

I enjoyed it. Usually I don't go to the theatre to see animated movies, but the trailers made it look pretty amusing and I'm a fan of the Minions/Despicable Me films, so I gave it a shot.

It wasn't as laugh out loud funny as I was hoping, but it had some laughs and overall it was cute and sweet. I enjoyed the relationship between Max and Duke as it developed from bitter rivals to them eventually becoming friends.

Nothing to really over-analyze. It's a relatively simple story and IMO it's a good way to spend a hot and lazy afternoon with or without the family.

The Minions short film prior to the movie was pretty funny.
Old 07-12-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 886 Likes on 721 Posts

Yeah it wasn't the best animated film I've seen or anything but it was entertaining for what it was and kind of cute. I thought it provided some good laughs and plus I'm a sucker for animals (especially dogs) so it appealed to me for that reason too.
Old 07-24-16, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Super cute and entertaining, especially as a pet owner. Nothing particularly deep nor does it reach any emotional highs like a Pixar movie, but I just watching the animal hi-jinks was great. Gidget in particular was fantastic. I didn't realize it was Jenny Slate, although I knew she sounded exactly the assistant mayor from Zootopia. Kind of funny to see her voice to animated animals so close together.