DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Embellishments to "True Stories" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627242-embellishments-true-stories.html)

JimRochester 06-14-15 09:04 AM

Embellishments to "True Stories"

I thought we did this before but couldn't find it.

When American Sniper came out, we heard a lot of the same complaints as Lone Survivor and Zero Dark Thirty. Some of the "true story" was downright fabricated. We all know that with 2 or 2 /12 hours to play with, sometimes multiple characters are written as one, or a character is introduced that didn't exist but is there as exposition.

What are some of your favorite "fish stories" within supposedly true stories?

300 - based on an actual event but laced with super natural gobbledygook.
Apollo 13 - Mattingly finding the answer was actually several people, not as much drama and finger pointing aboard the capsule
Band Of Brothers - For the Last Detail none of the friction between Webster and Liebgott was in the book and Webster fired the machine gun from the other side of the river
Battle of the Bulge - other than taking place during WWII, this is a fictional story based on one small aspect of the battle
Braveheart - the princess was 9 at the time and never met WIlliam Wallace
Catch Me If You Can - in the movie, he and his dad met up, but actually after running away he said he never saw him again
Memphis Belle - real plane, most of the story was just drama
Rudy - the guys never laid their jerseys on the coaches desk, no black janitor that used to play
Saving Private Ryan - based on some actual brothers being killed, rest of story made up
Sound Of Music - they never snuck out during a performance and hiked the Alps, they just walked to the train station 5 minutes away and then hopped a boat
U-571 - The Americans did not secure the enigma machine, the English did
Untouchables - Frank Nitti was never thrown off a building, he lived and went to jail

I have a bunch more in my collection but couldn't remember the "true" true story

Shannon Nutt 06-14-15 10:01 AM

Re: Embellishments to "True Stories"

I just watched/reviewed MISSISSIPPI BURNING, and there's a bunch of well-publicized problems with that 'true story' - probably the first in a line of movies that lost the Oscar because the story wasn't close enough to real-life.

Fact is, you could probably do this with ANY movie 'based on a true story'. A better thread question would be which movies are CLOSEST to their real-life events. That's a much shorter list.

RichC2 06-14-15 10:06 AM

Well, 'based on a true story' means just that, it's a story that is derived from a real one, doesn't mean it's actually true.

DeanoBKN 06-14-15 10:29 AM

Take your pick of just about any horror movie these days.

inri222 06-14-15 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12507859)
A better thread question would be which movies are CLOSEST to their real-life events. That's a much shorter list.

Most films are made for profit so they will sensationalize and customize true stories to get people into the theater. But to stay on topic, A Beautiful Mind is one of the most ridiculous biopics I have ever seen. Very inaccurate and badly executed.

robin2099 06-14-15 11:23 AM

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was very, very loosely based on the Ed Gein case.

The Butler was pretty much 90% fiction. The only true parts in the movie were him being a butler, and working under multiple presidents.

Solid Snake 06-14-15 11:33 AM

I just watched/reviewed MISSISSIPPI BURNING, and there's a bunch of well-publicized problems with that 'true story' - probably the first in a line of movies that lost the Oscar because the story wasn't close enough to real-life.

Fact is, you could probably do this with ANY movie 'based on a true story'. A better thread question would be which movies are CLOSEST to their real-life events. That's a much shorter list.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...le-events.html

DvdClon 06-14-15 11:34 AM

How disappointing. I thought from the title that new footage for David Byrne's True Stories had been found.

Ash Ketchum 06-14-15 11:56 AM

In John Milius's THE WIND AND THE LION (1975) that great Arab actor Sean Connery plays Raisuli, a Moroccan bandit who kidnaps Eden Perdicaris, a gorgeous blonde American woman played by Candice Bergen. In the real-life incident that formed the basis for the movie, the kidnapee, Ion Perdicaris, was a bearded, middle-aged Greek man. In real life, President Theodore Roosevelt was not an admirer of Raisuli but instead coined the phrase, "Perdicaris alive or Raisuli dead!"

From Wikipedia:

The story of Ion Perdicaris's kidnapping was loosely adapted to film in the 1975 motion picture The Wind and the Lion, with Sean Connery in the role of Raisuli and Brian Keith as Roosevelt. However, to add some spurious glamour to the tale, the 64-year-old bearded hostage was replaced with attractive young "Eden Perdicaris", played by Candice Bergen. While the movie incorrectly showed US Marines invading Morocco, not to mention their bizarre battle with non-existent soldiers of the German Empire, it succeeded in presenting the personality of Raisuli and his interaction with his prisoners.

Coral 06-14-15 12:13 PM

Argo - the Canadian government and embassy were mostly responsible for getting the six people out of Tehran, and the CIA had a very minor role.

dugan 06-14-15 01:14 PM

"Based on" means "similar to".

JimRochester 06-14-15 01:24 PM

With the exception of docu-dramas like Tora, Tora, Tora or Longest Day where a concerted effort was made to stick pretty close to the facts and even include the other side's POV, we all know there is a ton of drama introduced in these movies. However upon each one's release, people on the board go crazy about the details and differences.

Yet consider the other side. The third act was fiction in both Lone Survivor and ARGO. Yet if they stuck to the actual events, I think the climax would have been pretty boring...."and then he walked home"

Would you have preferred watching a movie where Chris Kyle was portrayed constantly as a self-centered jerk? AS was lambasted by many on this board for its jingoism, however if you've ever been around a group of ARMY buddies, that's how they talk. Would you rather have a movie that was less accurate on the dialogue?

I just like looking at both sides.

mrhan 06-14-15 01:53 PM

If I want true accounts I would watch a doc. after the movie. The movie is to entertain; nothing more. If it stuck to the truth it would be boring as hell.

Groucho 06-14-15 02:11 PM

Fargo was 100% fiction.

PhantomStranger 06-14-15 02:14 PM

I rarely like movies of this kind that much. Hollywood has no interest in telling true stories so offering a mere shade of the truth feels second-rate to me.

Solid Snake 06-14-15 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 12508046)
If I want true accounts I would watch a doc. after the movie. The movie is to entertain; nothing more. If it stuck to the truth it would be boring as hell.

Not so. A lot of movies based on events could have been much better if it stuck to the truth. Great example.... Dragon, that shit Bruce Lee biopic. It's a piece of crap compared to the man with his flaws and all.

RichC2 06-14-15 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12508058)
Fargo was 100% fiction.

Does that mean I wasted my time watching Kumiko?

TheMovieman 06-14-15 03:02 PM

Argo
The Imitation Game

JimRochester 06-14-15 03:07 PM

One of the few extras I really enjoy on DVD's any more are documentaries or commentaries about real life events. I like being informed as to what was real and what was just for the movie's sake.

johnnysd 06-15-15 12:23 AM

What's his face's escape from Prison was actually much more daring and exciting in real life than it was in Midnight Express.

I actually just watched a Investigation Channel show on Ted Bundy called Serial Thriller and it was amazingly true to actual events.

mrhan 06-15-15 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12508079)
Not so. A lot of movies based on events could have been much better if it stuck to the truth. Great example.... Dragon, that shit Bruce Lee biopic. It's a piece of crap compared to the man with his flaws and all.

Yeah, I agree; his real life was way more interesting than Dragon and I wish someone would step up and do the real story justice.

rocket1312 06-15-15 08:35 AM

JFK is far and away my favorite. Oliver Stone is a crazy person, Jim Garrison was an opportunistic hustler and the film is pure fiction. But that doesn't change the fact that it's an absolutely spell-binding snapshot of the hysteria and paranoia surrounding the JFK assassination and a master-class in mixed media editing. I love that film so much.

dhmac 06-15-15 08:58 AM

And I thought this thread was going to be about this movie based on the thread's title.

David Byrne's True Stories
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...psoglhix1x.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bXdvdjvSIuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

inri222 06-15-15 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 12508697)
JFK is far and away my favorite. Oliver Stone is a crazy person, Jim Garrison was an opportunistic hustler and the film is pure fiction. But that doesn't change the fact that it's an absolutely spell-binding snapshot of the hysteria and paranoia surrounding the JFK assassination and a master-class in mixed media editing. I love that film so much.

Goes to show that you can make an inaccurate film based on history/true events and it can still be fascinating. JFK is a masterpiece of storytelling, direction and editing. It's also IMO Oliver Stone's best film.

kgrogers1979 06-15-15 09:28 AM

Bloodsport (80s martial arts movie with Jean Claude Van Damme) is supposed to be based on a true story, but there are many claims that it was all made up.