Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sully (2016, D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks -- Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sully (2016, D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks -- Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Sully (2016, D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks -- Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Hopefully nowhere to the degree of American Sniper. Jesus, that flick had so much shit that was BS to what actually happened. Even w/ the lies that Kyle wrote about.
Like? Kyle's dad threatened all manner of hell come down on Eastwood if he screwed it up, and he was pretty pleased with the movie.

The book, though... that was a doosy.
Old 09-05-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Sully (2016, D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks -- Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic

Meh, I'm kind of bummed The Asylum didn't make their own version of this, could have been called Sullied, and be about a pilot hunting down a canadian goose that disgraced him, The Grey-style as the Asylum does.

Currently sitting at 73% on rottentomatoes, slightly mixed reviews but they mostly seem to lean more positive. Alas theres only 11 reviews.
Old 09-09-16, 07:03 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Up to 81% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sully/
Old 09-10-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Headed for a $32 million open.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/bo...fe-1201856193/
Old 09-10-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Very surprising it will open that big. This looks like a TV movie but people still love Tom Hanks.
Old 09-10-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Very surprising it will open that big. This looks like a TV movie but people still love Tom Hanks.
Popular subject matter + star power = success usually

Star power alone and you end up grossing as much as Hologram for the King
Old 09-10-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Not surprisingly, this was a great film with terrific performances by all. The water landing/rescue scenes were intense. I was glad most of those were kept out of the trailer.
Old 09-10-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I think the public perception by now is that an Eastwood movie is going to be a high quality film. Also, it taps into the American heroism that made American Sniper so popular, plus the timing is perfect with the 9/11 anniversary.

My audience was mostly older people and the movie got a round of applause at the end. I thought it was a solid movie and worth seeing in a theater, but outside of the crash, there wasn't much meat to the story and kinda a weak attempt to create a antagonist role with the safety board.
Old 09-11-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I just saw this and my reaction is... meh. Very low energy, almost inert. Lots of dream sequences and scenes of Sully talking on the phone to his wife. No stakes or drama whatsoever. And there were literally FIVE people in the theater, including me.
Old 09-11-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Just got out of seeing a matinee in IMAX. Looked great in IMAX.

Anyways, I liked it for the most part and thankfully it was super short (roughly 90 minutes before credits) Any more than that and it would have dragged.

The crash landing sequence was well done and Tom Hanks was solid in his performance, but it was a very low key movie overall. Probably because this incident was covered to death in the news 7 years ago.

Sullenberger seems like a good guy and well trained pilot, but other than what he did that day, there isn't much meat to his story or background. Kind of a weak attempt by the writers to make the NTSB the "villain" second guessing Sully's decision making.

I may check this out again when it hits HBO in the future, but this isn't something that I need to own. But, I thought it was worth seeing in the theater. I was probably the youngest person in the audience. Everyone else looked 50 or older.

I did at the blink and you'll miss billboard in Times Square for Eastwood's Gran Torino.

BTW being that today is 9/11, there were 2 dream sequences where Sullenberger imagined his plane crashing into buildings in the middle of Manhattan. That did surprise me for the unintentional timing of it, especially such a sensitive sequence.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-11-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-12-16, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I really enjoyed it. The whole cast is great (I particularly liked Eckhart, who the reviews don't seem to talk about much) and the crash landing scenes are really, really well done. And of course Hanks is fantastic. On a sidenote, we're in our early 30's and felt like the youngest people in a packed theater by about 20 years.
Old 09-12-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Caught this one today. Like almost everyone else, I was the youngster in the theater and I just turned 40. Really good movie. Glad that at the age most directors are either retired or fading, Eastwood is still putting out top quality material Hanks was great as always, but I was surprised at how many stars (though not necessarily A-list)appeared in this movie (Anna Gunn -could not recall her name, but knew her from somewhere, Autumn Reeser, Jamey Sheridan, Michael Rappaport) . Eckhart is also an underrated actor who does a great job, wish he would get more lead roles.

This is definitely a movie where one should stay through some of the credits.
Spoiler:
Seeing the real life Sully and passengers was a nice touch.
Old 09-14-16, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Loved this. Top notch performance by Hanks (as if you'd expect anything less). Clint Eastwood still has chops. Not bad for a guy who was alive when the Titanic went down (don't fact check that). I'd give the film 4 and 1/4 Heroic moustaches out of 5. My favorite Eastwood film since Million Dollar Baby.
Old 09-17-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent film, really enjoyed it! Special shout out to the tug boat captain arriving first on the scene to assist. I'm originally from Long Island, and that Brooklyn accent hit right home for me. Nice subtle touch, that Eastwood made sure all the actors didn't sound like they just arrived from the Actors Guild Studio
Old 10-03-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Finally got a chance to see this, Loved it!!

Great to see a movie on a true American hero.

Hanks was Rock solid, and Eastwoods barebones directing style worked well.

A riveting story, and a humble guy.

A must watch!!