DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Sully (2016, D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks -- Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627075-sully-2016-d-clint-eastwood-s-tom-hanks-capt-chesley-sullenberger-biopic.html)

dex14 12-29-15 02:32 PM

Re: Sully - Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic (D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/file...?itok=TRkjdOtZ

Brace for emotional impact. After US Airways Flight 1549 fell out of the sky and landed in the Hudson River, there was still a harrowing survival story we didn’t get to see.

Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger was credited with saving the lives of all 155 passengers aboard the jet that plunged into the icy river on Jan. 15, 2009, but the upcoming Clint Eastwood-directed drama Sully, starring Tom Hanks as the real-life pilot, focuses on the way a hero is sometimes tested after the fact.

“People saw the landing, but what followed is where the conflict is,” Eastwood tells EW. “There was an investigation into his decision and it was painting a picture that he had done the wrong thing, that he could have made it back to La Guardia or Teterboro. What happened behind closed doors is what most people don’t know.”

Although the word “hero” is one that’s often used to describe Sullenberger, Eastwood’s films tend to tend to narrow their eyes at that concept. In this case, the filmmaker says the pilot’s grace in the midst of a nightmare scenario makes him worthy of respect.

“Sully kept his wits about him when everything was going wrong and negotiated the problem without panicking and that takes a superior person. I can see why he became such an iconic figure,” Eastwood says. “He’s the kind of guy that can walk into a room and instill confidence that everything’s under control.”

He got to know the real Sullenberger during production, which inspired Eastwood’s first pairing with Hanks. “Before Tom was cast, I visited with Sully and his wife in their home to get an impression of him. I was making a list in my mind of people who could possibly play him, and Tom was right there,” Eastwood says. “Tom and Sully spoke on the phone several times before Tom went up to meet with him. Sully also visited the set and was a great resource.”

Sully co-stars Laura Linney as Sullberger’s wife, Lorraine, and Aaron Eckhart as his co-pilot, Jeff Skiles. The film is produced by Frank Marshall, Allyn Stewart, Tim Moore, and Eastwood, and it’s set for release Sept. 9, 2016.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/29...set-first-look

dex14 06-29-16 05:01 PM

Re: Sully (2016, D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks -- Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic

http://empireonline.media/jpg/50/0/0...lly-poster.jpg

http://empireonline.media/jpg/50/0/0...hart-sully.jpg

DJariya 06-29-16 09:47 PM

Re: Sully (2016, D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks -- Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic

1st trailer

Hazel Motes 06-30-16 02:46 AM

:thumbsup:

I'll go see that.

inri222 06-30-16 08:19 AM

Yawn!!! How many latex babies will be in this one?

stingermck 06-30-16 08:58 AM

Yup, I'll be there for that. Great trailer.

dom56 06-30-16 10:38 AM

I'm calling it, Tom will get a Best Actor Oscar nomination.

DJariya 06-30-16 10:49 AM

Good trailer. Most seemed to think there wasn't enough story for a 2 hour movie. But, with Sully's back story and the aftermath, I think this could be a solid film. Hanks always delivers.

Decker 06-30-16 10:52 AM

Yeah, that was way better than I expected the trailer to look.

TheMovieman 06-30-16 10:58 AM

Yep, looks good and a lot more intricate of a story than I thought.

EddieMoney 06-30-16 11:09 AM

Was hoping this was a feature length Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman spin-off.

Solid Snake 06-30-16 07:58 PM

Goddamn. That was a good trailer.

Shannon Nutt 07-02-16 10:10 PM

Thank god Clint is still with us and still one of the few around who knows how to make an actual film. This looks great.

Why So Blu? 07-02-16 11:07 PM

It looks like Flight minus the crack. That may be a good thing, because outside of Flight's airplane scene and Nadine Velazquez's bush, it wasn't very good.

Shannon Nutt 07-03-16 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12840722)
It looks like Flight minus the crack. That may be a good thing, because outside of Flight's airplane scene and Nadine Velazquez's bush, it wasn't very good.

We'll agree to disagree on that one - I thought FLIGHT was excellent.

TheMovieman 07-03-16 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12840722)

I actually agree. Wasn't a big fan of Flight tbh.

Traxan 07-03-16 07:21 PM

Pilots certainly hated Flight. The reaction on Airliners.net and APC was universally negative.

They seem to like Sully, though.

Coral 07-03-16 09:25 PM

I dunno... the dramatic aspects feel pretty cliched to me.

And I'm sure there'll be a lot of artistic license used.

Solid Snake 07-03-16 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12841118)
We'll agree to disagree on that one - I thought FLIGHT was excellent.

I liked Flight but it's a dumb fuck movie as well.

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 12841177)

And I'm sure there'll be a lot of artistic license used.

Hopefully nowhere to the degree of American Sniper. Jesus, that flick had so much shit that was BS to what actually happened. Even w/ the lies that Kyle wrote about.

inri222 07-03-16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 12841177)

Clint has been on auto pilot for about the last 10 years.

Shannon Nutt 07-04-16 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12841195)
Hopefully nowhere to the degree of American Sniper. Jesus, that flick had so much shit that was BS to what actually happened. Even w/ the lies that Kyle wrote about.

I hate when people diss a movie for not being accurate. It's a MOVIE. If you're going to movies for historical accuracy, you should really stop going. Even Schindler's List has inaccuracies in it for the sake of storytelling.

Solid Snake 07-04-16 03:11 PM

I'm taking the quality of the film separate from my criticism of story decisions. For something that is kind of recent like where AS treads around. It's a worthy thing to knock it about for. Especially with how Eastwood was presenting the film at the end. Celebrating him and mourning him. It's a legit thing to bring up. You want me to respect the man with that shit at the end but you totally just made up all this shit that can emotionally veer me into being a believer of this man that Eastwood is treating as reality. I'm not looking for truth in my films but don't grab my dick and go on your knees to only just jerk me off.

Jack Straw 07-04-16 03:37 PM

As someone else mentioned, seems like very lazy casting. Hanks may do the story and character proud, but from a physical resemblance standpoint he doesn't really match up that well. Lastly, I'm getting a bit tired of seeing him play so many roles of characters hand-picked from the headlines.

DWilson 07-04-16 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12841347)
I hate when people diss a movie for not being accurate. It's a MOVIE. If you're going to movies for historical accuracy, you should really stop going. Even Schindler's List has inaccuracies in it for the sake of storytelling.

I won't fault a film for a few "inventions", -generally the "compressing" of some events to make the story more manageable, -but I don't like it when they pretty much make major changes to events to make it a more dramatic story, or change the details of someone's life to make it more palatable or commercial.

Traxan 09-04-16 02:34 PM

Standing ovation for the movie and Oscar talk for Hanks.

http://deadline.com/2016/09/tellurid...od-1201813187/