DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Sully (2016, D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks -- Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627075-sully-2016-d-clint-eastwood-s-tom-hanks-capt-chesley-sullenberger-biopic.html)

Why So Blu? 06-19-15 01:50 AM

Re: Sully - Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic (D: Clint Eastwood)

I'm already bored by this film.

bluetoast 06-19-15 09:16 AM

After reading through this thread, I must have missed the pre-production backlash against Nebraska, featuring a delusional dude trying to cash in a fake lottery ticket with his son, while interacting with boring family members.

RichC2 06-19-15 09:17 AM

I don't see Alexander Payne's name attached to this one is a big part of it. Hell David Lynch made a great movie about an old guy riding a lawnmower to visit his sick brother. And at least Nebraska's premise sounds amusing.

The big difference here is neither of those are based on well known stories.

inri222 06-19-15 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12513283)
Hell David Fincher made a great movie about an old guy riding a lawnmower to visit his sick brother.

And David Lynch made a film about the founder of Facebook.

RichC2 06-19-15 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12513322)
And David Lynch made a film about the founder of Facebook.

Whoops. I would love to see that, I imagine it would be much more inline with Demonlover than anything.

inri222 06-19-15 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12513335)
Whoops. I would love to see that, I imagine it would be much more inline with Demonlover than anything.

Demonlover is good stuff.

Sgtsnake 06-19-15 11:20 AM

is this a joke? I dont see how many people would care about his life or how he grew up. He made an incredible landing saving a hundred plus people. That's what the film should focus on but how do you make it 90+ minutes

VHS? 06-19-15 11:30 AM

Yeah, this sounds more like a 20-30 minute docu for the Air and Space Museum.

Shannon Nutt 06-19-15 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiackid75 (Post 12513466)
is this a joke? I dont see how many people would care about his life or how he grew up. He made an incredible landing saving a hundred plus people. That's what the film should focus on but how do you make it 90+ minutes

Maybe the movie explores what it was about his background that made him the calm, cool, collected pilot that saved all those people. The movie CAN'T just be about the event...it would be dull and uninteresting.

RichC2 06-19-15 01:27 PM

I imagine it'll be like the Lost episode "The Constant" where he'll jump back in time to his younger self and pick up tips on how to successfully land the commercial airliner. One scene he'll panic, and the next he's suddenly cool, calm and landing the plane safely.

Drexl 06-19-15 02:08 PM

Maybe they could shake things up by changing his race to black, giving him an alcohol problem and killing off a few people in the landing.

Why So Blu? 06-19-15 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 12513680)
Maybe they could shake things up by changing his race to black, giving him an alcohol problem and killing off a few people in the landing.

What you did there, I see it.

;)

EddieMoney 06-19-15 02:35 PM

Re: Untitled Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger biopic (D: Clint Eastwood)

Originally Posted by HN (Post 12497953)
dude, Macy was totally my 2nd choice. he's actually 5 years older than Wiles (and closer to Sully's age) but i couldn't find a pic of him with white hair :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/iiZWmV4.jpg

DRG 06-19-15 02:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/cT6IZPN.jpg

dex14 10-07-15 03:24 PM

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2015/10/07/1...y-akmgsi-3.jpg

Why So Blu? 10-07-15 03:45 PM

Re: Sully - Capt. Chesley Sullenberger biopic (D: Clint Eastwood) S: Tom Hanks

I'm assuming it's going to end the same way Captain Phillips did. I'm calling it now.

GoldenJCJ 10-07-15 03:51 PM

^ With the deaths of a handful of Somali pirates? I suppose that'll be a twist we didn't see coming.

Why So Blu? 10-07-15 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12610357)
^ With the deaths of a handful of Somali pirates? I suppose that'll be a twist we didn't see coming.

har, har. no, the VERY last scene involving Hanks.

Solid Snake 10-07-15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12512981)
I just don't see how this will be a particularly interesting story. "In 2016, a man will do his job."

:lol:

FiveO 10-07-15 05:07 PM

While I may see it...I'm not sure how this could make a full movie.

Ugh.....at Hollywood.

jacob_b 10-08-15 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 12513680)

Reading the comments, I was thinking the same exact thing lol.

Norm de Plume 10-08-15 01:10 AM

Ah, Hanks. While undoubtedly a truly nice guy in real life, he is pablum and vanilla to the max. The thespian equivalent of a loaf of Wonder bread.

bluetoast 10-08-15 01:13 AM

Not when he's Woody.

Hazel Motes 10-08-15 02:23 AM

besides the plane crash itself, I'm sure this will factor heavily into the film:

Sullenberger testified before the U.S. House of Representatives's Subcommittee on Aviation of the Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure on February 24, 2009, that his salary had been cut by 40 percent, and that his pension, like most airline pensions, was terminated and replaced by a "PBGC" guarantee worth only pennies on the dollar.[56] Sullenberger cautioned that airlines were under "pressure to hire people with less experience. Their salaries are so low that people with greater experience will not take those jobs. We have some carriers that have hired some pilots with only a few hundred hours of experience. ... There’s simply no substitute for experience in terms of aviation safety."[57] Sullenberger also mentioned his pay cut in an October 13, 2009 appearance on The Daily Show.

james2025a 10-08-15 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 12610797)
Ah, Hanks. While undoubtedly a truly nice guy in real life, he is pablum and vanilla to the max. The thespian equivalent of a loaf of Wonder bread.

Exactly. I really am amazed this guy has won Oscars. His performances are rather dull and lifeless. And this to me is just as clear and example of Hollywood running out of ideas as any reboot/sequel.

Non-story + Dull Actor + Director who has done waayyyy too many crap movies in recent years = :boring: