DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Good Dinosaur (Pixar) (2015) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627074-good-dinosaur-pixar-2015-a.html)

Deftones 06-02-15 01:17 PM

The Good Dinosaur (Pixar) (2015)

Didn't see a specific thread for this. First trailer:

<iframe width="630" height="377" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8lsIrASLD-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks very un-Pixar like.

RichC2 06-02-15 01:20 PM

Re: The Good Dinosaur (Pixar) (2015)

The troubled history on this one has dud written all over it,, hopefully wrong on that.

E Unit 06-02-15 03:01 PM

The nearly flawless record Pixar has, has hit written all over it. Hopefully I'm right. This could be really cute. Although I don't know about its troubled history.

RichC2 06-02-15 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12497718)
The nearly flawless record Pixar has, has hit written all over it. Hopefully I'm right. This could be really cute. Although I don't know about its troubled history.

Originally Posted by Wiki Wiki Waaa
By summer 2013, the director and producer had been removed from the film due to the story problems.[1] Peterson, who couldn't crack the film's third act,[16] was notably absent at D23 Expo, where Sohn and producer Denise Ream presented footage from the film.[17][18] Ed Catmull, Pixar's president, explained the departure: "All directors get really deep in their film. Sometimes you just need a different perspective to get the idea out. Sometimes directors... are so deeply embedded in their ideas it actually takes someone else to finish it up."[1] Peterson moved on to another project he is developing at Pixar, while Ream replaced Walker, who left to work on Tomorrowland. John Lasseter, Lee Unkrich, Mark Andrews, and Sohn stepped in temporarily to work on various sections of the film.[1] In September 2013, The Good Dinosaur had been pushed back from May 30, 2014 to November 25, 2015 (the scheduled release date for Finding Dory) to "give the film some more time."[3] In November 2013, due to the delay, Pixar laid off 67 employees of its 1,200-person workforce,[16] following the closure of Pixar Canada a month before, when about 80 employees had been laid off, officially to refocus Pixar's efforts at its main headquarters.[19] In August 2014, John Lithgow revealed in an interview that the film had been dismantled and "completely reimagined" and he was expected to re-record his role in the next month while mentioning that Frances McDormand was still part of the film.[20] In November 2014, it was revealed that the concept of the dinosaurs being farmers had been abandoned and other elements had been added, such as treating nature itself as the film's antagonist.[21]

GoldenJCJ 06-02-15 08:31 PM

The average movie watcher, especially those hounded by their little rugrats to see it, most likely don't know or don't care about the troubled production. If the trailers sell it correctly it'll be a hit, I'm sure.

RichC2 06-02-15 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12498013)
The average movie watcher, especially those hounded by their little rugrats to see it, most likely don't know or don't care about the troubled production. If the trailers sell it correctly it'll be a hit, I'm sure.

Troubled productions ocassionally lead to mediocre products is all I meant.

Mabuse 06-02-15 09:03 PM

An animated Dinosaur movie. That's a new one. Oh wait no it's not, and most have been resounding flops.

Mabuse 06-02-15 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12497718)

Their nearly flawless record has been diminished a bit by some dreadful sequels.

Drexl 06-02-15 09:10 PM

So it's a creationist film?

hanshotfirst1138 06-02-15 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12498035)
Their nearly flawless record has been diminished a bit by some dreadful sequels.

Yeah, they winning streak is pretty tainted by their output of late.

GoldenJCJ 06-02-15 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12498015)

Oh yeah, definitely. There's a good possibility that it will be terrible. Of course, I thought Frozen was mediocre at best and we saw how that turned out at the box office, so you never know.

Jason 06-02-15 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12497588)
Looks very un-Pixar like.

Cars started them down a dangerous path. The only saving grace of Cars was that it was a better Dreamworks movie than anything Dreamworks has actually released.

This looks... off, somehow. I'm also not thrilled that a lot of the articles about it are calling it "emotional". A dinosaur movie doesn't need to be manipulative to set it apart.

But as long as we get the occasional high concept movie out of them, I can forgive them for wanting to make kiddie movies to cash in on merchandising too.

GoldenJCJ 06-02-15 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 12498064)
Cars started them down a dangerous path. The only saving grace of Cars was that it was a better Dreamworks movie than anything Dreamworks has actually released.

I'm assuming you mean anything Dreamworks released PRIOR to Cars. How to Train Your Dragon is absolutely wonderful. Dare I say it's the best CGI film released so far.

fumanstan 06-02-15 10:20 PM

I thought Kung Fu Panda was great too.

As for this, too hard to tell from just the trailer. I've been down on Pixar lately, but Inside Out looks like it's going to be excellent so hopefully they were able to turn this around. Honestly, I don't think it would have been released if it was in that bad shape and they would have just canned the project if they couldn't make it work (like Newt).

Artman 06-02-15 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12498015)

And they can lead to great ones..classics even :) Ratatouille went through director changes as well, and that's one of the favs. More interesting to me is that this will be the first year we get two Pixar movies... even though this one wasn't planned this way...it is the goal to have 3 Pixar releases every two years going forward I believe.

I didn't bump the Incredibles 2 thread, but did anyone notice we had our first official confirmation for it? It was part of Disney's 2018/19 release calendar they showed at their latest presentation.

Roybq 06-03-15 12:40 AM

I'm surprised that this was all there was to the teaser. 90% of it was what was shown almost 2 years ago at the last D23 in Anaheim. When I watched it, I was expecting something a little different. I'll still see it on day one, like I have every single Pixar film, so I'm obviously not the one that needs to be impressed.

Matthew Chmiel 06-12-15 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Deadline
Disney-Pixar today unveiled the all-new voice cast of The Good Dinosaur, the long-in-the-works pic that showed footage at Cannes and hits theaters Thanksgiving week. Raymond Ochoa will play Arlo, an Apatosaurus who is separated from his family when he falls into a raging river and is swept hundreds of miles away. He comes across Spot (Jack Bright), a human cave-boy orphan with whom he forms a bond as he attempts to get home. The new cast also includes Jeffrey Wright as Arlo’s dad, Poppa; Steve Zahn as a pterodactyl named Thunderclap; AJ Buckley as Nash, a T-rex; Anna Paquin as Ramsey the T-rex; Sam Elliott as a tough T-rex named Butch and Marcus Scribner as Arlo’s brother Buck.

Originally set for release in summer 2014, the film has seen a number of obstacles since its original voice cast was unveiled at Disney’s D23 in August 2013. Raising Hope‘s Lucas Neff was set as Arlo, with John Lithgow as Poppa, Frances McDormand as Momma and Bill Hader, Judy Greer and Neil Patrick Harris as Arlo’s siblings. But just five weeks later, Disney announced that it had pushed Good Dinosaur back a year and a half as rookie feature director Pete Sohn stepped in for the departed Bob Peterson.

http://deadline.com/2015/06/good-din...ar-1201441910/

Jesus.

RichC2 06-12-15 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 12498105)
And they can lead to great ones..classics even :) Ratatouille went through director changes as well, and that's one of the favs. More interesting to me is that this will be the first year we get two Pixar movies... even though this one wasn't planned this way...it is the goal to have 3 Pixar releases every two years going forward I believe.

I didn't bump the Incredibles 2 thread, but did anyone notice we had our first official confirmation for it? It was part of Disney's 2018/19 release calendar they showed at their latest presentation.

Pretty sure that Jan Pinkava was never actually named director of Ratatouille, he was originally set to be but the studio didn't really like how pre-production was coming together and gave it to Brad Bird instead, they wound up giving Pinkava a co-director credit regardless. Pinkava can't actually catch a break.

The Good Dinosaur is a different case as it was 2/3rd completed.

Matthew Chmiel 06-12-15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12506974)
Pretty sure that Jan Pinkava was never actually named director of Ratatouille, he was originally set to be but the studio didn't really like how pre-production was coming together and gave it to Brad Bird instead, they wound up giving Pinkava a co-director credit regardless. Pinkava can't actually catch a break.

The Good Dinosaur is a different case as it was 2/3rd completed.

I'd argue the situation the film is in is similar to Brave and less Ratatouille. Chapman was already in production with the film when Pixar canned her unlike Ratatouille which was only in the beginnings of the pre-production process.

I understand that Inside Out is a more return to form for a studio that has been creatively bankrupt for the past five years, but for The Good Dinosaur to replace its entire voice cast five months prior to release isn't a good sign.

digidoh 06-12-15 08:29 PM

Quality aside, I think Disney should wait until summer 2016 or later. Jurassic World will probably be out on home video by Thanksgiving, when The Good Dinosaur hits theaters. I know Disney's movie will be more family-friendly than Universal's monster dinos, but still, similarly-themed films should be spaced farther apart.

fumanstan 07-21-15 02:58 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O-RgquKVTPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Solid Snake 07-21-15 03:23 PM

Not sold on this yet. It actually doesn't even grab me via the premise.

fumanstan 07-21-15 03:27 PM

I'm not a big fan of the character design either... something about the dinosaur feels off compared to the rest of the world

Xndman 07-21-15 03:29 PM

Pixar + dinosaur and people are questioning whether it'll work with the public?

Solid Snake 07-21-15 04:05 PM

Working w/ the public is one thing... whether it is good can be another thing entirely as well.