DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Terminator 2:Judgment Day ((1991, D:Cameron)Could it happen today? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/626954-terminator-2-judgment-day-1991-d-cameron-could-happen-today.html)

Dr. DVD 05-24-15 11:25 AM

Terminator 2:Judgment Day ((1991, D:Cameron)Could it happen today?

Okay, when I ask could it happen today, I don't mean if a terminator movie could get made, obviously it can (Terminator:Genisys) . I was just thinking back and remember all of the hype around the movie, mainly that it was coming out with an alleged $100 million budget. That was really unheard of at the time , though it is now the minimal budget for a summer movie .

When I mean was, could it happen today with the exact same circumstances surrounding it: the most expensive movie ever made and an R rating to boot.

I don't think it could happen, even with James Cameron and his proven track record at the helm.

Thoughts?

Why So Blu? 05-24-15 11:34 AM

Re: Terminator 2:Judgment Day ((1991, D:Cameron)Could it happen today?

Why couldn't it happen with Cameron's proven track record? That's precisely why it would happen.

We're assuming that Cameron had already directed Titanic and Avatar, right? If so, he gets carte blanche on anything he wants to make. I also believe that Camereon would find the right way to sell it as an R-rated picture and have it make a shitload of money.

stvn1974 05-24-15 12:00 PM

It would have to be PG13 to get made today. Same goes with Aliens.

Bluelitespecial 05-24-15 12:14 PM

If it was made for 100 million today possibly. Adjusted for inflation probably not. Plus given how many home video releases its had it would still make plenty of money.

hasslein 05-25-15 12:46 AM

It almost did...

http://redcarpetcrash.com/wp-content...07/mad-max.jpg

Hazel Motes 05-25-15 01:13 AM

I strongly believe James Cameron could get financing for ANY film his imagination could come up with. Including a present day T2. He's directed the top 2 grossing films of alltime and they happen to be the last 2 films he made. With the second one grossing more than the first. At this point in time, dude has a blank check at any studio.

RocShemp 05-25-15 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 12490897)
I strongly believe James Cameron could get financing for ANY film his imagination could come up with. Including a present day T2. He's directed the top 2 grossing films of alltime and they happen to be the last 2 films he made. With the second one grossing more than the first. At this point in time, dude has a blank check at any studio.

I doubt even he could overcome the PG-13 rating the studio would likely impose these days. Heck, he wanted to shoot Avatar in 48 fps and he was told no (although it seems Fox agreed to do so for the sequel). This despite already having Titanic as a notch in his belt. In the end, studio execs only see numbers and they believe those numbers can only be at their highest if the movie is PG-13.

Drexl 05-25-15 07:08 AM

FWIW, the Matrix sequels had budgets of $150 million and $110 million respectively and were rated R, but that was over a decade ago.

Solid Snake 05-25-15 07:34 AM

The only real problems with this question is would Arnold be in this? Cuz if so... we've seen how modern Arnold is and isn't getting the attention he once did. Arnold was pretty damn popular when T2 was made. That added so much value to when it was released. Hamilton is also a great positive for it.

Taking it as T1 has already been created back in 1984... we're taking into account that we'd be getting a sequel to a film that was over 30 years ago.

Take out T2 in his filmography and Cameron could get any film made today though. Just little things like I brought up might muddy the act of modern day T2. Would T2 get made, the one we know w/ all the essential ingredients? Maybe. I bet he could get it greenlit.

hanshotfirst1138 05-25-15 08:27 AM

Cameron doesn't make R-rated movies anymore though, he's been pretty throughly infantilized. To be honest, I think the fact that CG was so nascent at the time is one of the things that gives that movie its kick. Because it was new and incredibly expensive, it had to be used sparingly and has a nice wow factor when it shows up. Nowadays, it's pretty banal. No one had had ever seen anything like that. Now we see it in TV commercials. And now I want a remaster of T2 :mad:.

RocShemp 05-25-15 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12490969)
And now I want a remaster of T2 :mad:.

As long as it's not recolored. I'm not a teal & orange hater but I do feel the film would be hurt if it lost its trademark blues. The same goes for True Lies.

Solid Snake 05-25-15 08:59 AM

It's the orange and blues he used in those films. They're so defining and strong for the imagery.

dugan 05-25-15 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 12490488)
Okay, when I ask could it happen today, I don't mean if a terminator movie could get made, obviously it can (Terminator:Genisys) . I was just thinking back and remember all of the hype around the movie, mainly that it was coming out with an alleged $100 million budget. That was really unheard of at the time , though it is now the minimal budget for a summer movie .

120 million, IIRC. That's about 217 million in 2015 dollars.

Calculation done here: http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

bluetoast 05-25-15 09:52 AM

Yes, but Miles Dyson will be played by a famous Chinese actor, and there will be a special cut for Chinese audiences with a subplot dealing with his work at Cyberdyne and learning more about the robotic hand, and balancing his family life (his wife will be portrayed by a Cantonese pop star who shall provide a song for the closing credits).

This cut will not be included on the American BD release leading to outrage over at HD Talk, where there will be discussions as to region free alternatives.

Dr. DVD 05-25-15 10:20 AM

I will say again, I don't necessarily mean a Terminator movie. I was just asking if the most expensive movie ever made could come out in modern times with an R rating . Let's just add that perhaps it was directed by Cameron and starred Bradley Cooper.

Again, I'm not asking specifically about a Terminator movie.

Shannon Nutt 05-25-15 10:22 AM

It could happen, but it would have to be special circumstances.

If Francis Ford Coppola told Paramount he wanted to make GODFATHER IV, but needed $400 million to do it, I'm thinking the studio might pony up the cash or team with another studio for distribution to make it happen.

d2cheer 05-25-15 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 12490516)
It would have to be PG13 to get made today. Same goes with Aliens.

It basically is PG-13 today.

Solid Snake 05-25-15 10:26 AM

I don't think Paramount trusts Coppola enough for that. He's got no power like Nolan or Cameron.

PatD 05-25-15 10:27 AM

Fuck no they couldn't make T2 like it was in 1991 today. And I'm not talking about budget, I'm talking about content. They'd have to dumb it down, put in a lot of jokes that were inappropriate to the tone of the film (because god forbid there be a serious tone in a tent pole movie) and have a 45 minute (or more) long action scene IMMEDIATELY followed by another 45 minute action scene with fake CGI-laden stuntwork. In fact, they'd have to fill it with so much CGI that most of the movie was shot in front of a green screen. And it would have to leave an obvious opening for a sequel, because that would be too much to ask to just close a tent pole film with dignity.

Don't believe me? See: T3 and T4.

Why So Blu? 05-25-15 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12491026)

If Francis Ford Coppola told Paramount he wanted to make GODFATHER IV, but needed $400 million to do it, I'm thinking the studio might pony up the cash or team with another studio for distribution to make it happen.

I disagree. It's no fluke that Coppola has pretty much "retired" from making studio films. What pull and influence he once had has long been gone.

bluetoast 05-25-15 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12491026)

They'd get another director before that happened. Even back before Part III was made, Sylvester Stallone said that when Paramount was courting him, they presented him with a poster for Godfather Part III with his name on it:

The GODFATHER III situation unfolded when the head of Paramount presented me with a poster already printed that had my picture and beneath it ‘GODFATHER III, written, acted and directed by Sylvester Stallone.’ Needless to say, if I weren’t wearing a hat, my skull would’ve split in two. Red-faced, I said to the headman ‘This is the worst idea since my conception.’ Francis created duel masterpieces and it was egregious insensitivity to pull it away from him for monetary reasons. Therefore I took this idea to the sea of mediocrity and plunged it to the bottom.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45964

Solid Snake 05-25-15 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 12491028)
It basically is PG-13 today.

Yeah. T2 is pretty tame today.

Solid Snake 05-25-15 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 12491031)
Fuck no they couldn't make T2 like it was in 1991 today. And I'm not talking about budget, I'm talking about content. They'd have to dumb it down, put in a lot of jokes that were inappropriate to the tone of the film (because god forbid there be a serious tone in a tent pole movie) and have a 45 minute (or more) long action scene IMMEDIATELY followed by another 45 minute action scene with fake CGI-laden stuntwork. In fact, they'd have to fill it with so much CGI that most of the movie was shot in front of a green screen. And it would have to leave an obvious opening for a sequel, because that would be too much to ask to just close a tent pole film with dignity.

Don't believe me? See: T3 and T4.

If it was Cameron doing it?

Remember.. Cameron is at the point where he can do whatever it is. And the studio would have to give him control... cuz he's James Cameron.

dugan 05-25-15 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12491008)
Yes, but Miles Dyson will be played by a famous Chinese actor, and there will be a special cut for Chinese audiences with a subplot dealing with his work at Cyberdyne and learning more about the robotic hand, and balancing his family life (his wife will be portrayed by a Cantonese pop star who shall provide a song for the closing credits).

Have you not seen the extended cut?

RichC2 05-25-15 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 12490488)

When I mean was, could it happen today with the exact same circumstances surrounding it: the most expensive movie ever made and an R rating to boot.

I don't think it could happen, even with James Cameron and his proven track record at the helm.

Thoughts?

R rated sequel to a hugely popular R rated movie with the worlds largest budget? Yes I think that could happen, but that better be a hugely popular R rated movie to start.

But considering just how huge movie budgets are today, it's highly unlikely. I mean, we regularly have $250m+ budgeted movies (Latest Pirates movie, Avengers, Avatar was close, Harry Potter/Half-Blood, The Hobbit 3, Spider-man 3, Tangled, John Carter), Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End had a $300m budget, and Pirates of the Caribbean 4 has a heavily debated listed budget of $378.5m - $410.6m.

But hey, if Jupiter Ascending could get $176m budgeted, then anything is possible.