DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mad Max: The Wasteland (D: Miller) S: Hardy - News, rumors, etc. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/626891-mad-max-wasteland-d-miller-s-hardy-news-rumors-etc.html)

dex14 05-18-15 06:06 PM

Mad Max: The Wasteland (D: Miller) S: Hardy - News, rumors, etc.

No official greenlight yet but it seems like a positive sign.

George Miller has promised that more “Mad Max” movies are coming, in the wake of a solid opening for “Mad Max: Fury Road.”

The Australian director made the pledge in his first Tweet, saying “Hello Twitter! Thanks for all the kind words written and said about the film. We had a lot of fun making it and there’s more Max to come.”

Miller also revealed in a recent podcast with Jeff Goldsmith that the fifth film in the franchise will be titled “Mad Max: The Wasteland.”

Tom Hardy said in an interview last month that he’s attached to star in three more “Mad Max” films, adding the qualifier. “Everything’s based on figures and how things are perceived. Inevitably it’s a business.”

Hardy takes over Mel Gibson’s role as Max Rockatansky, and Charlize Theron plays Furiosa in the film, set in a post-apocalyptic, ultra-violent Australian Outback. The film serves as a sequel to the Gibson-George Miller trilogy of “Mad Max,” “The Road Warrior” and “Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.”

Miller, who began filming “Fury Road” in 2012, had said several years ago that he planned to shoot two films back-to-back, with the second titled “Mad Max: Furiosa,” but Warner Bros. has not confirmed that there will be any more films in the franchise.

“Mad Max: Fury Road” ended up racking up $45.4 million in the U.S. and another $64 million internationally.

Warner Bros. backed the $150 million production with Village Roadshow Pictures. Even though “Mad Max: Fury Road” was somewhat overshadowed by the success of “Pitch Perfect 2,” the studio believes that strong word-of-mouth and near-universal critical support will help the film continue to draw crowds in the coming weeks.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ma...nd-1201499904/

Solid Snake 05-18-15 06:08 PM

Re: Mad Max: The Wasteland (D: Miller) S: Hardy - News, rumors, etc.

Yep. Saw that Miller finally got on Twitter yesterday. I hope he's an active one. I love directors that use it well.

islandclaws 05-18-15 06:11 PM

If Miller can somehow make this film THE ROAD WARRIOR to FURY ROAD's MAD MAX...

But, really, I don't even know how he could top this.

EctoCooler 05-18-15 06:24 PM

Bringing back Spence is a must. Gibson as a villain as well would be sweet.

--

inri222 05-18-15 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by EctoCooler (Post 12485355)
Bringing back Spence is a must. Gibson as a villain as well would be sweet.

--

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsW/17916.gifhttp://www.ozmovies.com.au/files/res...roger_ward.jpg

RocShemp 05-18-15 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12485340)
No official greenlight yet but it seems like a positive sign.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ma...nd-1201499904/

Can we please get Bruce Spence and Mel Gibson in the next one? I don't care who they play.

Solid Snake 05-18-15 06:55 PM

Yeah. It'd be great to have Spence back in some form and Gibson as the villain. I've been wanting Gibson as a possible Villain since Miller got Keays-Byrne as Immortan Joe. Since I'm pretty sure WB didn't want Gibson leading anything for them of this size, a villain role might run by them fine.

EDIT: Fuck it. Bring back the actors for Goose and Fifi too. And get Max a Blue Heeler again.

Hazel Motes 05-18-15 07:54 PM

I really hope they don't try topping Fury Road by making a very similar film. It would be cool if they did something with a little less frenetic pace with a good story and maybe some better fleshed out character development. Trying to top a film like Fury Road is an act of futility. It would be a lot better if instead of trying to top it, they tried sliding under expectations.

Solid Snake 05-18-15 07:58 PM

Well I don't think Miller would be dumb enough to make another 2 hour chase film. All the MM films are different w/ their own tone as well. It'd be cool if Miller continued that.

hanshotfirst1138 05-18-15 08:26 PM

I'm still quite interested in that proposed anime adaptation that was talked about a number of years ago.

Solid Snake 05-18-15 08:27 PM

After Fury Road? I don't give a fuck about any Mad Max anime. I'm already waiting for The Wasteland.

DJariya 05-18-15 08:46 PM

Considering Fury Road was filmed 3 years ago, I hope we don't have a similar long ass delay for a potential sequence.

But, realistically I don't see a sequel getting into theaters for at least 3 years.

Solid Snake 05-18-15 08:47 PM

Well that had its reasons by the time Miller wanted to a Mad Max again. Once he wanted to do one... shit piled against making a Mad Max.

RichC2 05-18-15 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12485477)
I'm still quite interested in that proposed anime adaptation that was talked about a number of years ago.

bah, Fury Road was the best live action anime I've ever seen. I'd rather just see more of that.

Defiant1 05-18-15 10:58 PM

Charlize Theron needs to come back. She was phenomenal.

DJariya 05-18-15 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 12485626)
Charlize Theron needs to come back. She was phenomenal.

But, would she shave her head again? ;) Sean Penn may not approve.

RichC2 05-18-15 11:12 PM

She needs to come back as a power corrupted villain.

Hazel Motes 05-18-15 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12485633)
She needs to come back as a power corrupted villain.

unless Luke Skywalker beats her to the punch.

Jackskeleton 05-19-15 01:43 AM

I would love to see Mel take on a role as a tribe elder/leader in a sort of King "Max" style like hugh keays-byrnes did.

Hazel Motes 05-19-15 02:03 AM

I always wished Connery would have taken a Bond villain role in one of the Craig films.

Mel as a villain would be great. Its fun to play with the mythology like that.

Jaymole 05-19-15 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 12485434)
I really hope they don't try topping Fury Road by making a very similar film. It would be cool if they did something with a little less frenetic pace with a good story and maybe some better fleshed out character development. Trying to top a film like Fury Road is an act of futility. It would be a lot better if instead of trying to top it, they tried sliding under expectations.

I agree, the next film should be My Dinner with Max

RocShemp 05-19-15 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole (Post 12485766)
I agree, the next film should be My Dinner with Max

Sane Max: A Quiet Sunday Drive.

It makes for a great companion to this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mt5vNGzAbtw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dugan 05-19-15 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12485477)

I managed to miss that, but Fist of the North Star wore its Mad Max inspiration on its sleeve.

redrum 05-19-15 09:58 AM

Hopefully they slow it down for the sequel and give Hardy more of a chance to act

Hazel Motes 05-19-15 04:00 PM

well it doesn't have to be devoid of action. It just has to have a different focus.