DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/626877-mad-max-2-vs-mad-max-fury-road.html)

Solid Snake 05-17-15 05:54 PM

Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Comparisons have been made between the two. And Fury Road shows that w/ the scope of the film.

Both are great action films. Both have big set pieces. MM2 is one of the best sequels and action films around. Fury Road is George Miller's blue balls from being away the action genre for 30 fucking years. Essentially... the Randy Marsh jizz explosion of action films.

So... which stands higher than the other?

RocShemp 05-17-15 06:24 PM

Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

There you go using the phrase blue balls again.

https://blogdotbookbytedotcom.files....o1_500-gif.jpg

EctoCooler 05-18-15 03:43 AM

Mad Max 2 is better, duh. Still enjoyed FR immensely.

--

DeputyDave 05-18-15 03:53 PM

Slightly unrelated but I've loved Mad Max for years and have seen Road Warrior many. many times. I recently bought the original trilogy on Blu-ray and after watching the first Mad Max I realized that I hadn't seen it since I was a teen ager in the 80's and despite all the praise I had heaped upon it to my son and others it was pretty awful. I guess I just remembered it as being so much better.

Solid Snake 05-18-15 04:02 PM

Hrmmm. I never fully saw MM1 till I was late teens or early twenties. And taking it for what it is, it's a damn good movie. Ozploitation, mate.

dhmac 05-18-15 06:53 PM

Yeah, I think the original Mad Max is the weakest movie in the series (mainly due to its low budget nature), but it has the Toecutter who I think is best villain in the series.

(I liked seeing Hugh Keays-Byrne onscreen again as Immortan Joe, but the Toecutter was a better role with him still in his prime back then.)

Ky-Fi 05-18-15 07:16 PM

I haven't seen the new one, but the first Max is by far my favorite. I loved the more subtle dystopian vibe, and man I hated that gang worse than any of the crazy characters in the sequels. I don't know, it was just less cartoonish, and just a slightly off-kilter version of the present. The bikes and the cars looked slightly futuristic, but not really...I don't know. I just loved the whole vibe.

RocShemp 05-18-15 07:16 PM

I recently re-watched MM1 and I still loved it. This morning I decided to re-watch MM2 before work. Huge mistake. That movie was an intense adrenaline rush that made a boring day at work all the worse. :lol:

Solid Snake 05-18-15 07:29 PM

For me it's MM2, MM1 (though the gap between 2 and 1 is very very fucking small), and MM3. I think it was a really bad idea for Miller to inject Max into a plot that wasn't born like that. I'm actually more interested in what the original idea, that became MM3, would have been like.

I'm still not sure where I stand w/ Fury Road. I think it may be better than MM1 but still not sure if it is better than MM2. I've enjoyed it much more than MM2 but not sure if it's better than it.

islandclaws 05-18-15 09:02 PM

I don't feel like you can compare MM:FR to any of the other films. It's an entirely different beast, and so far removed from the previous three that there's no comparison.

I will say, however, that I just watched MM3 for the first time right after watching FR and boy, was that a mistake. It doesn't help that the movie is terrible as soon as Max is exiled from Bartertown.

Solid Snake 05-18-15 10:22 PM

Yeah. Unless a person is open minded about film... you probably shouldn't show them any of the old Mad Max films after watching the latest one cuz Fury Road is a wildly different beast in a different time. Fury Road is essentially everything Miller has learned since MM3 and applied it to Mad Max.. w/ a big ass budget and time.

Supermallet 05-18-15 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 12485404)
I haven't seen the new one, but the first Max is by far my favorite. I loved the more subtle dystopian vibe, and man I hated that gang worse than any of the crazy characters in the sequels. I don't know, it was just less cartoonish, and just a slightly off-kilter version of the present. The bikes and the cars looked slightly futuristic, but not really...I don't know. I just loved the whole vibe.

I think both have their place. I love that Miller was able to suggest a decaying world in MM, but I also love the insane world he created with the latter films. You rarely see the kind of visual bravura that Miller indulges in.

mrhan 05-19-15 02:38 PM

MM2 is better than FR. However, I still think FR is an awesome flick.

Cardiac161 05-19-15 05:34 PM

MM2 is still better overall for me but FR is a close second.

Reason for MM2 being better is the preface which explains the state of the world and Max's place in it, and how from it builds from there.

RocShemp 05-19-15 05:41 PM

MM2 is also better paced. It builds up to its mayhem. MMFR seems like its always at full throttle except for some slow patches that feel rather jarring and give the whole thing an almost episodic nature.

OldBoy 05-19-15 06:18 PM

i'm going with Fury Road having not seen TRW in years. will get a chance, hopefully soon, but i just loved this incarnation...

Matthew Chmiel 05-19-15 11:52 PM

The Road Warrior and Fury Road are some of the best action films ever made, period.

Mad Max is a good film, but not remotely on par with what was to come.

I never plan on watching Beyond Thunderdome ever again. I don't get the praise for it because it sucks.

Ash Ketchum 05-20-15 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12484247)
Comparisons have been made between the two. And Fury Road shows that w/ the scope of the film.

Both are great action films. Both have big set pieces. MM2 is one of the best sequels and action films around. Fury Road is George Miller's blue balls from being away the action genre for 30 fucking years. Essentially... the Randy Marsh jizz explosion of action films.

So... which stands higher than the other?

The film was released in the U.S. as THE ROAD WARRIOR, not MAD MAX 2.

EctoCooler 05-20-15 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12487036)

What of it? The real name of the film is still Mad Max 2.

mdc3000 05-20-15 07:30 AM

Fury Road>The Road Warrior>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Beyond Thunderdome>>>>>>>>>>>>Mad Max

I know I'm probably in a huge minority but that first film is boring as hell outside of the first 10 and last 20 minutes.

Giles 05-20-15 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 12486938)
The Road Warrior and Fury Road are some of the best action films ever made, period.

Mad Max is a good film, but not remotely on par with what was to come.

I never plan on watching Beyond Thunderdome ever again. I don't get the praise for it because it sucks.

I agree, although I do dig the song ... LOL "We don't need another hero... we don't need to know the way home ... All we want is life beyond the thunderdome"

hanshotfirst1138 05-20-15 09:24 AM

BT has a couple of neat action set pieces and some cool wasteland pastiche design. It's definitely weak in places, but I think some things about it are interesting.

Solid Snake 05-20-15 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12487036)

Way of the Dragon was released as Return of the Dragon here. Drunken Master II was Legend of Drunken Master. Police Story III: Supercop was Supercop here. Police Story IV: First Strike was known as (Jackie Chan's) First Strike. Millionaire's Express was known as Shanghai Express here. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin was known as Master Killer. And Shaolin Master Killer.

What's your point? Why the fuck would I call it The Road Warrior when even the film itself is title carded w/ Mad Max 2? Cuz WB thought it was a better title for American audiences? Fuck that. It's Mad Max 2 first and foremost.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12487169)
BT has a couple of neat action set pieces and so cool wasteland pastiche design. It's definitely weak in places, but I think some things about it are interesting.

Yeah. That's what I feel of it. It's just so disjointed for me.

Ash Ketchum 05-20-15 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12487271)
Way of the Dragon was released as Return of the Dragon here. Drunken Master II was Legend of Drunken Master. Police Story III: Supercop was Supercop here. Police Story IV: First Strike was known as (Jackie Chan's) First Strike. Millionaire's Express was known as Shanghai Express here. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin was known as Master Killer. And Shaolin Master Killer.

What's your point? Why the fuck would I call it The Road Warrior when even the film itself is title carded w/ Mad Max 2? Cuz WB thought it was a better title for American audiences? Fuck that. It's Mad Max 2 first and foremost.

Well, at least you name-checked some awesome films there. It's been so long since I heard it referred to as MAD MAX 2, that I'd actually, ummm, forgotten that that was its original title.

Solid Snake 05-20-15 11:16 AM

Even on the BD, the film is Mad Max 2. Dunno if DVDs had the title card for The Road Warrior. I'm guessing VHS did though. But... It wasn't one I cared to own at that time.