Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

War for the Planet of the Apes (D: Reeves, 7/14/2017) - News, Rumors, Etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

War for the Planet of the Apes (D: Reeves, 7/14/2017) - News, Rumors, Etc.

Old 07-13-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

I'm picking "War For The Planet of the Apes" for the title. It'll be interesting to see where they go - without spoilers, I don't want to see Apes 3 be a basic retread of Rise, but I also really don't want to see another dismal remake of Planet of the Apes with astronauts from the future etc. I'd actually really like to see the world open up some with scale -- the original movies never really had the budget to go global and even Rise pretty much sticks to one small area of the planet, but wouldn't it be something to see a story that somehow really does feature a "Planet" of the apes?
Old 07-13-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I vote for anything that doesn't have two "of the's" in the title like the last two movies. Really clunky.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 07-13-14 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-13-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I said it in the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes thread already but I sort of hope that the new films just kind of continue on as their own thing and don't try and connect themselves to the original films. I really like the original film but the sequels are a pretty mixed bag to me. I'd sort of prefer if they either remade the original film again (only done well this time unlike the Burton crapfest) or go in a direction similar to the original film at least and continue from there.
Old 07-13-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Did Dawn do enough business this weekend to justify another one?
Old 07-13-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Box Office Mojo is saying that it earned $73 million over the weekend and that it's a 33% larger opening than Rise of the Planet of the Apes had. Plus the article in this thread states that Reeves has already signed on for a third film and that it's a priority for Fox. My guess is they want a franchise they can keep going for a while.
Old 07-13-14, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Matt Reeves To Helm ‘Planet Of The Apes 3′

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Wonder if they're going to wrap it as a trilogy or leave themselves opening to keep making more films?
i got the idea from the 1960s' movies that the bomb was dropped and wiped out most of the humans. only survivors are in n.y. all apes and some humans.
i want to see all apes talking, apes in color clothes and the bomb dropped in the 3rd movie.
Old 07-13-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Box Office Mojo is saying that it earned $73 million over the weekend and that it's a 33% larger opening than Rise of the Planet of the Apes had. Plus the article in this thread states that Reeves has already signed on for a third film and that it's a priority for Fox. My guess is they want a franchise they can keep going for a while.
Uh...I think one could argue that Fox has already kept the POTA franchise going for a while. This is the 8th POTA movie they have made if you count the previous series and Burton's fiasco. I'm starting to wonder if they want this to be their James Bond type series, as both the Alien and Predator series seem to have run their respective courses.
Old 07-13-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Uh...I think one could argue that Fox has already kept the POTA franchise going for a while. This is the 8th POTA movie they have made if you count the previous series and Burton's fiasco. I'm starting to wonder if they want this to be their James Bond type series, as both the Alien and Predator series seem to have run their respective courses.
Well yeah, but in terms of modern successful entries to the franchise the two done by Reeves have revived interest in it. The Burton film was a failed attempt and the franchise got lost for ten years before it was rebooted. Prior to that though the last film and the shows were in the seventies which is a considerable absence. Funny I looked up the history and didn't even realize the live action TV series only lasted fourteen episodes. For some reason I thought it had a longer run. I sort of forgot there even was an animated series.
Old 07-13-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

This and X-Men are Fox's priorities I think. (their only current franchises) I don't know a lot about the original Apes series...but I'd love to see this continue past the third one. They only signed Serkis through the next one though... but if they have to make another deal w him so be it. If they can pull in 5-600million I think it's worth continuing. Eventually reaching a full fledged POTA movie, and/or taking it past that...seems like a lot of potential.
Old 07-13-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Wrath of the Planet of Apes.

/placeholder
Old 07-13-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I'm picking "War For The Planet of the Apes" for the title. It'll be interesting to see where they go - without spoilers, I don't want to see Apes 3 be a basic retread of Rise, but I also really don't want to see another dismal remake of Planet of the Apes with astronauts from the future etc. I'd actually really like to see the world open up some with scale -- the original movies never really had the budget to go global and even Rise pretty much sticks to one small area of the planet, but wouldn't it be something to see a story that somehow really does feature a "Planet" of the apes?
The only problem with that is it's kind of a similar title to one of the existing entries already: Battle for the Planet of the Apes. Decent title though if they wanted to use it.
Old 07-13-14, 05:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Planet of the Apes Begins
Old 07-13-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they need a comedy spin-off where some of the apes discover reefer and start doing rude and crude acts apes are known to do. It could be entitled "Damn Dirty Apes" and have Seth Rogen and Danny McBride as the motion capture actors.
Old 07-13-14, 06:55 PM

I think they need a comedy spin-off where some of the apes discover reefer and start doing rude and crude acts apes are known to do. It could be entitled "Damn Dirty Apes" and have Seth Rogen and Danny McBride as the motion capture actors.
PineAPEle Express.
Old 07-14-14, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I said it in the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes thread already but I sort of hope that the new films just kind of continue on as their own thing and don't try and connect themselves to the original films. I really like the original film but the sequels are a pretty mixed bag to me. I'd sort of prefer if they either remade the original film again (only done well this time unlike the Burton crapfest) or go in a direction similar to the original film at least and continue from there.
Yeah, they already set the events in motion to at least redo the original Planet of the Apes (since the astronaut was already shown as lost in space at the beginning of Rise). I also can't help but feel this will be listed as one of the bigger "improperly titled" movie series.

For #3 they may as well go with Beginning of the Planet of the Apes.
Old 07-14-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

My vote is for Apes Love Sequels.
Old 07-14-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did Dawn do enough business this weekend to justify another one?
Dawn has no competition the rest of the month. It should cruise past $200 mil and beyond. And overseas business has already been playing stronger than Rise. This could be a $700 million worldwide film.
Old 07-14-14, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Dawn has no competition the rest of the month. It should cruise past $200 mil and beyond. And overseas business has already been playing stronger than Rise. This could be a $700 million worldwide film.
And it's only opened in a few coubtries. It was probably delayed a week in many places because of the World Cup Finals weekend.
Old 07-14-14, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mostaccioli
i got the idea from the 1960s' movies that the bomb was dropped and wiped out most of the humans. only survivors are in n.y. all apes and some humans.
i want to see all apes talking, apes in color clothes and the bomb dropped in the 3rd movie.
Funny. I rather like that they haven't adopted clothing. They're apes. I much prefer seeing a culture grow in their community. I also find it wildly much more interesting that they speak in ASL than all literally talking. Remember only some have been in contact with the ALZ-113, directly and indirectly. So not all can verbally talk.

I think, for me, that the these Apes can stay as far away from the visual in POTA and still be very strong in its own intent. I like POTA 1 and all but I rather see something much interesting than hitting that idea just yet.

Originally Posted by Artman
This and X-Men are Fox's priorities I think. (their only current franchises) I don't know a lot about the original Apes series...but I'd love to see this continue past the third one. They only signed Serkis through the next one though... but if they have to make another deal w him so be it. If they can pull in 5-600million I think it's worth continuing. Eventually reaching a full fledged POTA movie, and/or taking it past that...seems like a lot of potential.
They've got Avatar as well.
Old 07-14-14, 08:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah but Avatar comes out in Cameron's timeline, not Fox's.
Old 07-14-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still curious to see how well the sequels to Avatar will do honestly. It's been quite a while since the first one, I just don't think people are clamoring for a sequel as much as James Cameron thinks. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old 07-14-14, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still curious to see how well the sequels to Avatar will do honestly. It's been quite a while since the first one, I just don't think people are clamoring for a sequel as much as James Cameron thinks. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I think you're spot on. I can't fathom those films breaking any records at this point. It was revolutionary for the time, but not now.
Old 07-14-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

The Avatar sequels should still make 1.2-1.5 billion each, which isn't bad.
Old 07-14-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
The Avatar sequels should still make 1.2-1.5 billion each, which isn't bad.
I can't fathom either of the sequels crossing the billion mark.

Part of it is I don't think anyone was clamoring for a franchise to be constructed after the first film.
Old 07-14-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

It should end with them blowing up the planet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.