Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-14, 04:28 PM   #26
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Antipodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 5,952
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

I'm picking "War For The Planet of the Apes" for the title. It'll be interesting to see where they go - without spoilers, I don't want to see Apes 3 be a basic retread of Rise, but I also really don't want to see another dismal remake of Planet of the Apes with astronauts from the future etc. I'd actually really like to see the world open up some with scale -- the original movies never really had the budget to go global and even Rise pretty much sticks to one small area of the planet, but wouldn't it be something to see a story that somehow really does feature a "Planet" of the apes?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 04:57 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 9,014
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

I vote for anything that doesn't have two "of the's" in the title like the last two movies. Really clunky.
__________________
"I doubt anyone would use any of my comments in their signature." - gcribbs

-----
PSN: CactusKind

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 07-13-14 at 06:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:00 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,595
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

I said it in the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes thread already but I sort of hope that the new films just kind of continue on as their own thing and don't try and connect themselves to the original films. I really like the original film but the sequels are a pretty mixed bag to me. I'd sort of prefer if they either remade the original film again (only done well this time unlike the Burton crapfest) or go in a direction similar to the original film at least and continue from there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:08 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,555
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Did Dawn do enough business this weekend to justify another one?
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:13 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,595
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Box Office Mojo is saying that it earned $73 million over the weekend and that it's a 33% larger opening than Rise of the Planet of the Apes had. Plus the article in this thread states that Reeves has already signed on for a third film and that it's a priority for Fox. My guess is they want a franchise they can keep going for a while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:22 PM   #31
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 442
Re: Matt Reeves To Helm ‘Planet Of The Apes 3′

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Wonder if they're going to wrap it as a trilogy or leave themselves opening to keep making more films?
i got the idea from the 1960s' movies that the bomb was dropped and wiped out most of the humans. only survivors are in n.y. all apes and some humans.
i want to see all apes talking, apes in color clothes and the bomb dropped in the 3rd movie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:23 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,555
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Box Office Mojo is saying that it earned $73 million over the weekend and that it's a 33% larger opening than Rise of the Planet of the Apes had. Plus the article in this thread states that Reeves has already signed on for a third film and that it's a priority for Fox. My guess is they want a franchise they can keep going for a while.
Uh...I think one could argue that Fox has already kept the POTA franchise going for a while. This is the 8th POTA movie they have made if you count the previous series and Burton's fiasco. I'm starting to wonder if they want this to be their James Bond type series, as both the Alien and Predator series seem to have run their respective courses.
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:28 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,595
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Uh...I think one could argue that Fox has already kept the POTA franchise going for a while. This is the 8th POTA movie they have made if you count the previous series and Burton's fiasco. I'm starting to wonder if they want this to be their James Bond type series, as both the Alien and Predator series seem to have run their respective courses.
Well yeah, but in terms of modern successful entries to the franchise the two done by Reeves have revived interest in it. The Burton film was a failed attempt and the franchise got lost for ten years before it was rebooted. Prior to that though the last film and the shows were in the seventies which is a considerable absence. Funny I looked up the history and didn't even realize the live action TV series only lasted fourteen episodes. For some reason I thought it had a longer run. I sort of forgot there even was an animated series.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:30 PM   #34
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,332
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

This and X-Men are Fox's priorities I think. (their only current franchises) I don't know a lot about the original Apes series...but I'd love to see this continue past the third one. They only signed Serkis through the next one though... but if they have to make another deal w him so be it. If they can pull in 5-600million I think it's worth continuing. Eventually reaching a full fledged POTA movie, and/or taking it past that...seems like a lot of potential.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:37 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,803
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Wrath of the Planet of Apes.


/placeholder
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:39 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,595
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Antipodean View Post
I'm picking "War For The Planet of the Apes" for the title. It'll be interesting to see where they go - without spoilers, I don't want to see Apes 3 be a basic retread of Rise, but I also really don't want to see another dismal remake of Planet of the Apes with astronauts from the future etc. I'd actually really like to see the world open up some with scale -- the original movies never really had the budget to go global and even Rise pretty much sticks to one small area of the planet, but wouldn't it be something to see a story that somehow really does feature a "Planet" of the apes?
The only problem with that is it's kind of a similar title to one of the existing entries already: Battle for the Planet of the Apes. Decent title though if they wanted to use it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:59 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,801
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Planet of the Apes Begins
__________________
xboxlive: brackster
PSN: brackster81
Nintendo id: brackster
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 07:51 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,555
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

I think they need a comedy spin-off where some of the apes discover reefer and start doing rude and crude acts apes are known to do. It could be entitled "Damn Dirty Apes" and have Seth Rogen and Danny McBride as the motion capture actors.
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 07:55 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,801
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I think they need a comedy spin-off where some of the apes discover reefer and start doing rude and crude acts apes are known to do. It could be entitled "Damn Dirty Apes" and have Seth Rogen and Danny McBride as the motion capture actors.
PineAPEle Express.
__________________
xboxlive: brackster
PSN: brackster81
Nintendo id: brackster
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 10:14 AM   #40
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,274
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I said it in the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes thread already but I sort of hope that the new films just kind of continue on as their own thing and don't try and connect themselves to the original films. I really like the original film but the sequels are a pretty mixed bag to me. I'd sort of prefer if they either remade the original film again (only done well this time unlike the Burton crapfest) or go in a direction similar to the original film at least and continue from there.
Yeah, they already set the events in motion to at least redo the original Planet of the Apes (since the astronaut was already shown as lost in space at the beginning of Rise). I also can't help but feel this will be listed as one of the bigger "improperly titled" movie series.

For #3 they may as well go with Beginning of the Planet of the Apes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 10:46 AM   #41
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,217
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

My vote is for Apes Love Sequels.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 11:00 AM   #42
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Did Dawn do enough business this weekend to justify another one?
Dawn has no competition the rest of the month. It should cruise past $200 mil and beyond. And overseas business has already been playing stronger than Rise. This could be a $700 million worldwide film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 11:36 AM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,801
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Dawn has no competition the rest of the month. It should cruise past $200 mil and beyond. And overseas business has already been playing stronger than Rise. This could be a $700 million worldwide film.
And it's only opened in a few coubtries. It was probably delayed a week in many places because of the World Cup Finals weekend.
__________________
xboxlive: brackster
PSN: brackster81
Nintendo id: brackster
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 12:39 PM   #44
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostaccioli View Post
i got the idea from the 1960s' movies that the bomb was dropped and wiped out most of the humans. only survivors are in n.y. all apes and some humans.
i want to see all apes talking, apes in color clothes and the bomb dropped in the 3rd movie.
Funny. I rather like that they haven't adopted clothing. They're apes. I much prefer seeing a culture grow in their community. I also find it wildly much more interesting that they speak in ASL than all literally talking. Remember only some have been in contact with the ALZ-113, directly and indirectly. So not all can verbally talk.

I think, for me, that the these Apes can stay as far away from the visual in POTA and still be very strong in its own intent. I like POTA 1 and all but I rather see something much interesting than hitting that idea just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
This and X-Men are Fox's priorities I think. (their only current franchises) I don't know a lot about the original Apes series...but I'd love to see this continue past the third one. They only signed Serkis through the next one though... but if they have to make another deal w him so be it. If they can pull in 5-600million I think it's worth continuing. Eventually reaching a full fledged POTA movie, and/or taking it past that...seems like a lot of potential.
They've got Avatar as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 09:03 PM   #45
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 53,226
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Yeah but Avatar comes out in Cameron's timeline, not Fox's.
__________________
Never stop punching fascists.
Stop employing thugs and murderers: Abolish police, abolish the military.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 09:16 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,595
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

I'm still curious to see how well the sequels to Avatar will do honestly. It's been quite a while since the first one, I just don't think people are clamoring for a sequel as much as James Cameron thinks. Maybe I'm wrong though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 09:18 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I'm still curious to see how well the sequels to Avatar will do honestly. It's been quite a while since the first one, I just don't think people are clamoring for a sequel as much as James Cameron thinks. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I think you're spot on. I can't fathom those films breaking any records at this point. It was revolutionary for the time, but not now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 09:33 PM   #48
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,332
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

The Avatar sequels should still make 1.2-1.5 billion each, which isn't bad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 09:45 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
The Avatar sequels should still make 1.2-1.5 billion each, which isn't bad.
I can't fathom either of the sequels crossing the billion mark.

Part of it is I don't think anyone was clamoring for a franchise to be constructed after the first film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 09:51 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 419
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I think they need a comedy spin-off where some of the apes discover reefer and start doing rude and crude acts apes are known to do. It could be entitled "Damn Dirty Apes" and have Seth Rogen and Danny McBride as the motion capture actors.
It should end with them blowing up the planet.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0