Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saturday Night Fever - Too Funny

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-14-15, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by dvdshonna; 05-15-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Saturday Night Fever - Too Funny

It's a straight comedy. Even when they try to get dramatic it still plays as a comedy. I personally like the movie.
Old 05-14-15, 03:43 PM
RIP

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It is hilariously awesome.
Old 05-14-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
It's a straight comedy. Even when they try to get dramatic it still plays as a comedy. I personally like the movie.
Same.

Still a big LOL moment for me:
Spoiler:
The splash from the suicide-fall near the end. That skinny dude suddenly weighed 500 lbs!
Old 05-14-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 190 Posts

Gene Siskel's all-time favorite film. He loved it so much, he bought John Travolta's white suit when it went up for auction.

And if you guys want funny...watch Stayin' Alive.
Old 05-14-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just remembered that the first time I saw this movie was the network television premier (i.e, the extended cut) so whenever I would tell people that my favorite scene was when Travolta was doing the robot to "Disco Duck", I would get puzzled looks in return.
Old 05-14-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 346 Likes on 247 Posts

The part that cracks me up is then Travolta takes over the dance floor and he's running around back and forth like a headless chicken.
Old 05-14-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 234 Likes on 182 Posts

I can't believe Travolta actually got an Oscar for this- it's totally campy.

I noticed the "Movies!" network has been showing it, but they're using the R-rated version and muting out the profanity. They should have used the PG-rated version that was issued in theaters later, which plays like a network TV version- "Are you a nice girl or a ****?" becomes "Are you a nice girl or a pig?"

Huh- the forum software automatically censors the C-word?
Old 05-14-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
They should have used the PG-rated version that was issued in theaters later, which plays like a network TV version
I remember when Columbia House gave you the option of buying this movie for either the R or PG-version.
Old 05-14-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally watched it years after the theatrical release and thought the film was so bad that it was "good" in a camp way.
Old 05-14-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 198 Likes on 148 Posts

I haven't seen it since it came out. We took it pretty seriously back then, God help us. I wonder what it would be like today watching it with a young theater audience that had never seen it before.
Old 05-14-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 643 Posts

I think it's an awesome flick.
Old 05-14-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a little too young for this when it first came out, and never really saw it until the last 5 years or so ( and recently on Movies! channel). I find it kind of oddly compelling. Nobody in the movie is very likable, sure it's a little cheesy, but it does kind of ring true to me as a fairly realistic portrait of a group of friends in a specific subculture. And I can't think of any other movie that feels like such a time capsule from a specific year. And of course, a really effective use of music in a film. Not exactly one of my favorites, but I'd kind of defend it as a pretty interesting film.
Old 05-14-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 316 Likes on 219 Posts

"He hits my hair!"

That scene is one of my favorites. I just wish I could do the accent worth a shit when I quote it out loud.
Old 05-14-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I can't believe Travolta actually got an Oscar nomination for this- it's totally campy.
Fixed.
Old 05-15-15, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This came out before I was born and I've never been to New York and I can't say I like the Bee Gees and I don't care about dance club culture past or present.

All the same, I found Saturday Night Fever to be a very effective dramatic work.

I guess I'm getting old by saying this, but what the fuck is wrong with people nowadays? Are all moviegoers either hipster douchebags or retarded teenagers? "That other person is doing something I wouldn't do! That's hilarious!"
Old 05-15-15, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought of this movie as camp. I always thought SNF was just, you know, cool. I should probably rewatch with a different 'approach' I guess, like I did with Point Break (1991) which to me is unintentional hilarious.
Old 05-15-15, 01:55 AM

I dunno wtf is wrong with those posters above. Saturday Night Fever is a great movie.
Old 05-15-15, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 198 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I was a little too young for this when it first came out, and never really saw it until the last 5 years or so ( and recently on Movies! channel). I find it kind of oddly compelling. Nobody in the movie is very likable, sure it's a little cheesy, but it does kind of ring true to me as a fairly realistic portrait of a group of friends in a specific subculture. And I can't think of any other movie that feels like such a time capsule from a specific year. And of course, a really effective use of music in a film. Not exactly one of my favorites, but I'd kind of defend it as a pretty interesting film.
Again, I haven't seen it since it came out so I don't know how it holds up, but I appreciate this defense of the film, which is pretty much how I remember it. I wasn't part of that subculture, but I certainly observed it at times.
Old 05-15-15, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I like the movie. It doesn't seem funny at all to me. They get into a rumble, a girl gets raped, someone commits suicide. It's some serious shit. I always hated disco but watching this movie and listening to the music made me appreciate the era. It's also very true to what it's like going to clubs.
Old 05-15-15, 10:24 AM

It's the only movie I can think of where the original is more ridiculous and hilarious than the spoofs and comedy sketches.

Belushi doing "Samurai Night Fever" on Saturday Night Live was funny as hell. Still not as stupid and hilarious as the movie itself.
Old 05-15-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post
I dunno wtf is wrong with those posters above. Saturday Night Fever is a great movie.
But Zomg they use old slang/lingo +there clothes in the 70s are different then my clothes . Hilarity
Old 05-15-15, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 179 Likes on 118 Posts

I grew up in 1970's NYC and Saturday Night Fever along with Spike Lee's Summer of Sam capture that era pretty good.
Old 05-15-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 312 Likes on 254 Posts

I have never seen Saturday Night Fever - and I grew up in the 70's and even owned the soundtrack back then!

I've seen about 10 minutes of the movie - 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there - and it all just seemed like total crap. Bad writing, bad acting - bad movie. But that's just an impression from watching two five minute parts of the movie probably 10 years apart.

I have no desire to watch the movie, although as a time capsule from my childhood (and, trust me, it was GREAT growing up in the 70's) it might be fun to watch.
Old 05-15-15, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I have never seen Saturday Night Fever - and I grew up in the 70's and even owned the soundtrack back then!

I've seen about 10 minutes of the movie - 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there - and it all just seemed like total crap. Bad writing, bad acting - bad movie. But that's just an impression from watching two five minute parts of the movie probably 10 years apart.

I have no desire to watch the movie, although as a time capsule from my childhood (and, trust me, it was GREAT growing up in the 70's) it might be fun to watch.
I thought growing up and going to high school in the late 60's was great too. Not only the music (which still dominates most movie soundtracks), but we got laid a lot too (the "sexual revolution", before AIDs).

But whenever I see "hippies" portrayed in movies, I think its funny as hell. Fashion and lingo comes and goes (we were wearing bell bottoms before the disco era). The hilarity comes from watching the characters taking themselves and their "hipness" so seriously.

Travolta is miffed in every other scene because he's surrounded by people (family and friends) who can't grasp the "hipness" of what he is and is trying to do. And he's the "hippest" guy around. Mr. Disco Duck, dedicated to rising above it all with his cool dancing skills.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 05-15-15 at 11:37 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.