Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Old 05-04-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts
re: The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Originally Posted by fumanstan
By the previous articles, i'm not sure if we'll even get to Warlock in the first movie given the rumored cast and the image posted. Really looking to seeing Illyana though, it would be neat if they touched on the aging thing too.
boone posted an image of warlock along with the above image.
https://www.instagram.com/joshboonemovies/
Old 05-04-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
re: The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

X-Babies in a Deadpool sequel would be da bomb.

And if they're ever going to use Mojo in the X-Men films, Deadpool would be the place to do it.
Old 05-04-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
boone posted an image of warlock along with the above image.
https://www.instagram.com/joshboonemovies/
Ah, neat. Doug Ramsey sucks.
Old 08-26-16, 12:05 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, the writing team behind the hit YA adaptations The Fault in Our Stars and The Spectacular Now, are working on the script for New Mutants, Fox's X-Men spinoff.

The move re-teams the duo with Josh Boone — the Fault in Our Stars filmmaker who is directing Fox's take on the Marvel property that centers on a group of misfits trying to deal with their mutant powers — with whom they are working closely.

Simon Kinberg, the studio's steward of the X-Men franchise, is producing.

Launched in the early 1980s, New Mutants, created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, was the first X-Men comic spinoff.

The movie will focus on the angst-driven adventures of a diverse group of teens that include Native American Danielle Moonstar, Scots girl Wolfsbane, Brazilian ladies man Sunspot, a Kentuckian code-named Cannonball, and Russian teen Magik. Also in the mix will be an alien named Warlock.

Boone, a lifelong fan of the comics and the Claremont-penned comics, and Knate Gwaltney wrote the initial draft and story.

While Neustadter and Weber are known for their hit takes on teen-oriented material, their upcoming work expands their repertoire.

They wrote The Masterpiece (formerly known as The Disaster Artist), a New Line upcoming fall comedy directed by James Franco who also stars alongside Dave Franco and Seth Rogen. The movie is a look at the making of what is considered to be one of the worst movies of all time, The Room.

The two recently adapted Our Souls at Night, a love story set up at Netflix that has Robert Redford and Jane Fonda attached to star.

Neustadter and Weber are repped by CAA, Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment and attorney Sean Marks.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...kling-x-922893
Old 08-26-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I'm pleased with the general group of characters, part of me wishes that Karma would have been included, as well, so that we'd have all or the original New Mutants in the film.
Old 08-26-16, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No Negasonic Teenage Warhead?
Old 04-22-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Set to open on April 13, 2018.

Old 04-22-17, 01:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 249 Posts

I'm so old school I have no idea who any of these new mutants are...
Old 04-22-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The movie will focus on the angst-driven adventures of a diverse group of teens that include Native American Danielle Moonstar, Scots girl Wolfsbane, Brazilian ladies man Sunspot, a Kentuckian code-named Cannonball, and Russian teen Magik. Also in the mix will be an alien named Warlock.
That right there is the ultimate new mutant cast.
Old 04-22-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I'm so old school I have no idea who any of these new mutants are...
This is about as old school as you can get with the property, though...
Old 04-22-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

This must be filming now, if not, the turnaround in this is insane.
Old 04-23-17, 06:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is about as old school as you can get with the property, though...

I don't know how old school the "new mutants" are but when I was reading comic books back in the mid to late 60's, I don't remember any "new mutants" while reading X-Men comics.
Old 04-23-17, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I don't know how old school the "new mutants" are but when I was reading comic books back in the mid to late 60's, I don't remember any "new mutants" while reading X-Men comics.
The first appearance of the New Mutants was 1982, which (just to make you feel old) was 35 years ago.
Old 04-23-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

New Mutants ran for 100 issues from 1982 to 1991. Rob Liefeld took over the art with #86, introduced Cable in the next issue, and it was cancelled with #100 so it could be relaunched as X-Force. It was the first X-Men spin-off series and was launched with an original graphic novel as a part of Marvel's nascent graphic novels line.

Old 04-23-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
New Mutants ran for 100 issues from 1982 to 1991. It was the first X-Men spin-off series and was launched with an original graphic novel as a part of Marvel's nascent graphic novels line.
Sort of a dick move by Marvel in 1982 when most comics were bought off newsstands. Who stocked graphic novels back then? Surprised it lasted if I'm guessing a good portion of readers couldn't even read how it started.
Old 04-23-17, 12:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The first appearance of the New Mutants was 1982, which (just to make you feel old) was 35 years ago.
Tell me about it, I was already 27 years old in 1982...
Old 04-23-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by resinrats
Sort of a dick move by Marvel in 1982 when most comics were bought off newsstands. Who stocked graphic novels back then? Surprised it lasted if I'm guessing a good portion of readers couldn't even read how it started.
Heck, just think of all the Captain Marvel fans that never got to see what happened to him...

Seriously though, this was a stab at emulating the European comics format, and to boost the direct market/comic book stores. DC did something similar, though the only one I really remember is Jack Kirby's Hunger Dogs and for some odd reason, Metalzoic. I don't think New Mutants was even supposed to be a graphic novel, the rumor was Shooter reworked issue one to try to keep the graphic novel imprint on schedule.

Honestly though, if you're old school enough to not have read XMen since the 60s, I doubt you've heard of the majority of the characters in the current movies...
Old 05-11-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

‘New Mutants:’ Anya Taylor-Joy, Maisie Williams Set to Star in ‘X-Men’ Spinoff
Umberto Gonzalez
The Wrap May 11, 2017

Anya Taylor-Joy (“The Witch,” “Split”) and “Game of Thrones” Maisie Williams have signed on to star in “X-Men” spinoff “New Mutants,” the ensemble, young adult, super hero movie, TheWrap has learned.

Josh Boone is directing “New Mutants” which is headed toward an early July start with a script by Boone and his writing partner, Knate Gwaltney.

Simon Kinberg and Karen Rosenfelt are producing.

“New Mutants” was created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod in the early 1980s and was the first “X-“Men comic spinoff.

“New Mutants” will focus on the angst-driven adventures of a diverse group of teens that include Native American Danielle Moonstar, Scots girl Wolfsbane, Brazilian ladies man Sunspot, a Kentuckian code-named Cannonball, and Russian teen Magik. Also in the mix will be an alien named Warlock.

Taylor-Joy will play Magik, a girl who has learned sorcery and uses teleportation discs to travel. She is also the sister of Colossus, who appeared in “Deadpool".

Williams will play Wolfsbane, a girl struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf.

Taylor-Joy broke out with the 2015 award-winning period horror movie “The Witch” and starred in M. Night Shyamalan’s hit,” Split.”

Taylor-Joy is repped by CAA, Felker Toczek and Troika in the UK.

Williams is best known for playing Arya Stark in “Game of Thrones,” which launches its seventh season in July.

Williams is repped by WME and Jackoway Tyerman.

“New Mutants” will be released in theaters on April 13, 2018.

The Hollywood Reporter first reported this casting news.
Old 05-11-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

I like Ana Taylor-Joy quite a bit. Good casting.
Old 05-11-17, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

That cover brings me great memories. Man I had all the orginal issues from 1-30. I should have never sold my issues.
Old 05-11-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You could probably rebuy them in decent condition for pretty cheap, besides maybe the first appearance of Legion. Certainly cheaper than #98.
Old 05-11-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
You could probably rebuy them in decent condition for pretty cheap, besides maybe the first appearance of Legion. Certainly cheaper than #98.
Old 05-25-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

MAY 25, 2017 9:05am PT by Borys Kit
Rosario Dawson in Talks to Star in X-Men Spinoff 'New Mutants'

Rosario Dawson is doubling down on her Marvel Comics characters.

The actress, who already plays a key role in Netflix’s Marvel shows ranging from Daredevil to Luke Cage, is in negotiations to join the cast of Fox’s Marvel movie franchise, the X-Men spinoff New Mutants.

The Witch and Split star Anya Taylor-Joy and Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams are already signed up for the ensemble, young adult superhero movie being directed by Josh Boone.

Dawson will play Dr. Cecilia Reyes, a medical doctor who has the ability to generate a protective bio-field around herself. The character assumes a mentor role for the group of fledgling heroes (Last year, speculation surfaced that James McAvoy would return as mentor Professor X and that Alexandra Shipp would return as mentor figure Storm, but those characters are not in the script, according to sources, and the actors are not slated to appear in the movie.)

Taylor-Joy is playing Illyana Rasputin, codenamed Magik, a girl who has learned sorcery and uses teleportation discs to travel. Williams is Rahne Sinclair, aka Wolfsbane, a girl struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf.

The X-Men spinoff will focus on the angst-driven adventures of a diverse group of teens dealing with their newfound powers.

The movie is headed towards an early July start with a script by Boone and his writing partner, Knate Lee. Simon Kinberg and Karen Rosenfelt are producing. New Mutants has a release date of April 13, 2018.

Dawson already plays a nurse in Netflix’s Marvel shows and has been one of the threads that has connected the shows together. She has appeared in Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron First and will reprise her role in The Defenders, which Netflix releases August 18.

The actress is coming off of starring opposite Katherine Heigl in the Warner Bros. thriller Unforgettable and also voiced Batgirl in The Lego Batman Movie.

She is repped by CAA.
Old 05-25-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds good
Old 05-25-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wonder what time frame this will take place in, contemporary, or in the past like the last couple of X-Men flicks. And also if Magik will be Colossus' sister.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.